Zavvi Sent Free Vitas By Mistake, Threatens Legal Action

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Zavvi Sent Free Vitas By Mistake, Threatens Legal Action

Zavvi's customers are relying on Distance Selling Regulations, but that may be a mistake.

UK retailer Zavvi mistakenly sent some of its customers free PlayStation Vitas last month, when it sent out the devices as part of a Tearaway offer, when it only meant to send the game. As soon as the error was discovered, Zavvi asked for the Vitas, but most of those who received them didn't send them back. They believed that they weren't obliged to, but now Zavvi's threatening legal action if they don't comply.

"We have tried to contact you on numerous occasions to give you the opportunity to return this item to us (at our cost and at no inconvenience to yourself) but to date you have refused to do so," reads the Zavvi correspondence. "This is our final notice to politely remind you that you did not order, or pay for, a PS Vita and if you fail to contact us by 5pm (UK time) on December 10th 2013 to arrange a convenient time for the PS Vita to be collected we reserve the right to enforce any and/or all legal remedies available to us."

Zavvi's customers have been relying on Distance Selling Regulations, which state that, if you have been sent unsolicited goods, you can treat them as an unconditional gift and dispose of them as you see fit. Under those regulations, the recipient isn't obliged to pay for the goods, and any attempt to demand payment is unlawful.

But it may not be that simple. The Citizen's Advice Bureau [http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/consumer_ni/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/consumer_problems_with_delivery_e/consumer_unsolicited_goods_e/youve_received_goods_or_services_you_didnt_ask_for_distance_sales.htm] says that the situation's a little different if goods are received by mistake.

"If goods are sent to you by mistake, you need to contact whoever sent them to let them know and ask them to collect the goods," says the CAB. "You might get goods sent by mistake if they are meant for someone else or you've been sent duplicate or extra items on top of what you ordered."

Goods sent by mistake are not defined as unsolicited, and remain the property of the seller. If Zavvi hadn't noticed and left the Vitas in the customer's possession for some time [http://www.theguardian.com/money/2001/jun/28/yourrights.legal3], that might make a difference, but it seems clear that Zavvi didn't do that. Those 'free' Vitas may have to go back; it could be unwise to hold on to them.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/zavvi-threatens-customers-with-legal-action-after-accidentally-sending-them-playstation-vitas/0125572]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Well frankly they should send them back, they didn't pay for it and even if the company made a mistake the law is pretty clear.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I reckon I may be fairly unpopular on this thread for this view (well, gamers are the most self-entitled pricks of all the major entertainment consumers, and I say that as an avid gamer myself), but I'm firmly on Zaavi's side here. They've made a mistake, owned up that they've made a mistake, and have got in touch through the proper means and methods with customers to try to fix the mistake. They've given plenty of opportunity to customers to send the Vitas back and the customers have refused, and if the law is on Zaavi's side (which it appears to be) then they have every right to pursue legal action to reclaim their property. If I was one of those gamers who had ended up with a free Vita by mistake I would still be on Zaavi's side, because the law is fairly clear and even if it's a mistake they are doing the correct thing in the correct way to rectify it.

Let the shitstorm commence...

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I agree Trivun, They sent out Vita's by mistake, the buyer presumably received the free gift intended to be sent and has no right to claim the Vita.

And it's not as if Zaavi are doing anything evil while trying to get them back, they are paying for postage of the device back to them and even being flexible with offering a time preference to the receiver for pickup.

My thoughts on the buyers unwilling to send them back are that they have already opened/unsealed/used the free Vita's they received and are worried about the consequences for not returning them in the state they were sent out in.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Zaavi is right but like Trivun said gamers are self-entitled pricks where depending on wich side benefits the most it goes from "Deal with it" to "We demand to be pleased" with no inbetween

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Just to let everyone know, it's Zavvi with two Vs, not two As. In all fairness, it is a daft name.

Anyway, while I'm sure it sucks to have to send them back, if the law is on Zavvi's side, then that is what should be done. And most of the people that would've been involved in the Tearaway offer would already have a Vita anyway, I'm assuming?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
So when I made a mistake, however small it is, I am fucked beyond all belief and am in for a year long fight. I accidentally sent to much money to a company once, took me several months before I said fuck it and just charged back the entire amount. The only people that cared was the bank and not because they gave a shit about me, but it meant more money in my account for them.

I didn't have the money to go into a big old legal battle over the fact these pricks can legally put in their TOS that if you accidentally send to much money it's now theirs. So to "correct" my mistake I had to basically become a "wanted man" in another country.

However if a company makes a mistake I have to pat it on the head, tell it everything is okay and correct their mistake for them? I bet you 500$ that they don't even refund you the goddamned shipping costs that it would take to send the thing back or if you deliver it in person wouldn't even validate your parking.

Now on should Zavvi get their Vita's back? Of course the law is clear, you got shit by mistake it's not yours. Shut your whining, send it back to the rightful owner. Unless you make Zavvi sign a TOS that it is of course because TOS can bypass any law apparently!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ok, it looks like legally they're in the right here. I still feel like they're being a wee bit dickish about the matter though.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Just how many are we talking here? I'm assuming quite a whack due to it getting coverage?

100% agree that the correct thing to do would be to send them back, but I was always under the impression that legally there's no way to reclaim the devices beyond asking politely. I'm possibly getting this confused however with the old Chance card from Monopoly, "Bank error in your favour, collect £200". :p

Andy Shandy said:
Your avatar is amazing.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I'm on whatever side the law is on. But the law isn't clear. So for now I'm taking the "customer is always right" approach, because, well, that's just the way these things work. If it does turn out they're in the wrong, then more power to Zavvi, but not a minute before would I make any presumptions of the legality of holding onto those goods.

If Zavvi has a legal leg to stand on, then they'll get duly compensated. Let's see how it pans out.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
1337mokro said:
So when I made a mistake, however small it is, I am fucked beyond all belief and am in for a year long fight. I accidentally sent to much money to a company once, took me several months before I said fuck it and just charged back the entire amount. The only people that cared was the bank and not because they gave a shit about me, but it meant more money in my account for them.

I didn't have the money to go into a big old legal battle over the fact these pricks can legally put in their TOS that if you accidentally send to much money it's now theirs. So to "correct" my mistake I had to basically become a "wanted man" in another country.

However if a company makes a mistake I have to pat it on the head, tell it everything is okay and correct their mistake for them? I bet you 500$ that they don't even refund you the goddamned shipping costs that it would take to send the thing back or if you deliver it in person wouldn't even validate your parking.

Now on should Zavvi get their Vita's back? Of course the law is clear, you got shit by mistake it's not yours. Shut your whining, send it back to the rightful owner. Unless you make Zavvi sign a TOS that it is of course because TOS can bypass any law apparently!
Laws are almost always massively dominantly Pro business, especially here in the states, the EU tends to have much better consumer protections. But even there companies have a lot of weight to throw around when it comes to ensuring they don't end up on the short end of the stick.

I'm with you, if you send someone something with their name on the package, it is a gift. If the company then wants to no longer do business with the customer that is their right to do so.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I'm surprised they don't do this the secure and subtle way, you charge their credit cards for the price of the Vita and then wait if anything comes back, in that case even if it doesn't everything got covered.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
I honestly don't understand how anyone in their right mind would think its ok for these people to keep the vitas. Seriously, Zavvi has been polite and they are firmly in the right here. What on earth is wrong with some people...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
And most of the people that would've been involved in the Tearaway offer would already have a Vita anyway, I'm assuming?
This is what I was thinking too, but you'd be surprised at what people are willing to do just to get something free it seems.

OT: While it sucks for those who thought they were getting free stuff they really should send them back. They are paying for the postage to return it so it's not like the customers will lose anything by returning it. It will be interesting to see if this will lead to some lawsuits or not. Yay, Christmas cheer.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Karloff said:
Andy Shandy said:
Just to let everyone know, it's Zavvi with two Vs, not two As. In all fairness, it is a daft name.
Damn. Thanks! Adjusted.
No worries! I know it was one of the things spelled wrong a hell of a lot, until it finally stuck that it was two Vs. Just one of those words.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
1337mokro said:

If a company sends something by mistake, whatever the item, it should be returned or the person that received it must notify the company about it, if you "send too much money" you're an idiot, that's pretty much basic legal procedures.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Hold your horses there...

See, different countries, different laws.

Here in Brazil (I'm an attourney) they would have been legally entitled to keep the goods.
If you receive something you didn't order, the law calls it "free sample".
Our law here is pro-consumer. And it works this way because:

A) These goods aren't gonna make much of a difference to the company (they could file it as "damaged" or "lost" in their balances, as they do with several units every month, as part of their business) and, in the end, it was THEIR mistake.

B) The law is in place to avoid that companies send you unrequested things and then charge you for them afterwards. Believe me, if such law didn't exist you would receive tons of unrequested stuff on the mail, and you would have to return it or pay for it.

Now, about "if you received it by mistake, you have to return it". Yes, you do.
But what consist a mistake is if, for instance, you received something mailed TO YOUR NEIGHBOUR, or to someone else.
In that case, someone DID pay for the product and was waiting to receive it. The goods had a destination and went astray to your house.
In THIS CASE, you HAVE to return it.

But if company A send you something you didn't order, send it to YOUR HOME, in YOUR NAME, then, by brazilian law, it IS yours to keep.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Legally? Yes, Zavvi is within their right. No arguing that, really.

Personally? Bad business. Straight up, bad business. You made a mistake. Now, at the very least you're inconveniencing your customers by making them send it back. Not something that looks good on you. Then you make it worse by threatening litigation because YOU screwed up? Ouch, expect your PR to be in the toilet.

My recommendation would have been to suck it up and say "Hey! We done fucked up! Keep the Vita as a gift." This would have been lauded as great customer service. Instead, you have egg all over your face, and massive PR dump to boot.

Is it moral? Maybe, maybe not. But you have to understand how consumers think. You don't inconvenience your customers by your mistakes, and you sure as hell don't litigate because of it.