Zelda And Animal Crossing Packs Are Mario Kart 8's First Paid DLC

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Ever since Sonic & All Stars, I have wondered why Nintendo hasn't just straight up brought the karting to a Smash Bros caliber cast of characters?

They need to make the amiibo work for more games, thus could we see more cross over DLC for other Nintendo games? Can I have an insane scenario like Mario stomping around a battle field a'la Hyrule Warriors? One could dream...

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Jeez, so much slobber over this. Whether or not this DLC is good value is debatable but just because it's better than what some other companies do or what they could have done doesn't mean that Nintendo is some sort of benevolent god.

Seriously, I don't walk around thanking everyone on the street for not mugging me so why thank Nintendo for releasing a DLC that's passable instead of $5 for 'Link's Iconic Cap'

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
major_chaos said:
Maze1125 said:
Oh my lord! That's means it's a comparison of $1 per track to $5 per map. You've completely overturned my point there! How could I have failed to see that coming?!? Woe is me, I must commit Seppuku now to retain my honour!
Truly your ability to use sarcasm and be unsubtle has convinced me of my failure as a human being, I if I go buy mario kart anotherfuckingone right now can you forgive me sensei?
Yes.

Where's your evidence of that? Or is it a claim you just pulled out of your arse?
I have played shooters, have played kart games, I don't see how you can keep a straight face and say a circle/loop/square with a backdrop is more intricate than a shooter map.
Bad tracks are just circles or squares. Good tracks are significantly more complex than that and take significantly more work.

Imagine if I said that all shooter maps were just box shaped rooms with doors and windows which takes no more work than placing the walls. That's true of the most basic maps you can have, but that doesn't make it a reasonable way to judge the DLC as one would assume more work would be put into them than that.

Never once when playing mario cart did I see the name of the upcoming level and think about how I needed to adapt the way I play because it a fucking cart track, turn the corners, dodge the penguins don't drive on the grass, seen one, seen em all. yawn. I played Mkart 64 a ton when I was a kid and I still can't name or describe a single track other than Rainbow Road and Yoshi valey, and I only remember those because they were fucking awful. On the other hand I still remember where the good weapons are on each map in TimeSplitters 2.
Okay, so you're not a big fan of kart racing games. That's fine. You're entitled to that opinion. That doesn't mean people who do like them are wrong for thinking that the DLC is good value.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Johnson McGee said:
Jeez, so much slobber over this. Whether or not this DLC is good value is debatable but just because it's better than what some other companies do or what they could have done doesn't mean that Nintendo is some sort of benevolent god.

Seriously, I don't walk around thanking everyone on the street for not mugging me so why thank Nintendo for releasing a DLC that's passable instead of $5 for 'Link's Iconic Cap'
Value is obviously a relative concept so it has to be considered in context.
The context here is that people who have Mario Kart 8 considered paying $60 for 32 tracks to be, at least, a reasonable choice; therefore it stands to reason that those same people would consider getting 16 tracks for $12 to be a better than reasonable deal or, in other words, a good deal.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Johnson McGee said:

When I buy a sandwich from a restaurant and I receive a sandwich that I think was worth the $8 I paid for the sandwich I will remember that this restaurant gives value for money. I am more likely to purchase another sandwich from that restaurant in the future and I may even mention to the restaurant staff that I like what they are doing so they will continue doing it the way I like in the future.

This interaction is an example of the consumer-producer relationship. It is a mutually beneficial arrangement by which a consumer can provide feedback to a producer of goods. This feedback will allow the producer of goods to continue providing goods that the consumer will purchase, perhaps even allowing the producer to improve the goods they produce.

In other words, we like what they are doing and we want them to keep on doing it. Thus, we are letting them know we like what they are doing and that we want them to keep on doing it.

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
Xman490 said:
Ha! Paying money for mere unmarketable customization options is so...
Wait. The packs come with 8 extra tracks each? Shut up and take my money!

Leave it to Nintendo to do DLC properly.
You pretty much summed up my entire thought process.

Though mine was snarkier.

Oh boy, you can play as link now. With a few new cars. Wooptie fucking do. Oh and Animal Crossing, don't care............Wait....8 new tracks PER pack at 12 bucks for both?!?!?!...God dammit why don't I own a WiiU and Mario Kart 8 yet.
I still stand firmly /against/ the practice of DLC BUT, at the risk of sounding hypocritical, this seems like DLC done right. 16 tracks for 12 bucks(even if they're just reskins of previous levels, I don't know if they are.) is awesome. Very fairly priced and completely reasonable.