Zelda Is Not An RPG

Velocity Eleven

May 20, 2009
For some reason whenever I hear that people say that Zelda games are RPGs I getting REALLY ticked off by it. I want to hear other people's thoughts on this... I plan to make a video or write an article about htis because I'm really passionate about it and it just annoys me to no end. But in order to plan it out I need a good collection of general feedback (though I have some general and some incredibly idiotic feedback already) though first of all this is my take on it:

Zelda games are not RPGs because there is no significant grindable mechanics whereby the player can perform repeated tasks to decrease the difficulty of certain tasks. All improvements and upgrades that the player can accumulate are based on several one-time events, many of which are simply alterations to the gameplay features rather than optional increases. The only grindability that comes from Zelda games is the way the player can collect items from enemies and grass although this mechanic is incredibly minor. This is not saying that RPGs require an exessive amount of grinding in order to succeed, but rather the game has options for the player to grind. In actual fact many RPGs do require grinding even if it is to such small extent that the only grinding requirement would be to fight the battles you find on your way, as long as there's an element of grind involves

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
It is an ARPG or an action adventure game, and an RPG doesn't need to have grinding in it. and yes you can get upgrades (magic meter, arrows, bombs and heart containers) Just because it doesn't fit perfectly into your mold of an RPG does not mean it is not an RPG.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I would call Zelda an adventure game rather than an RPG.

Although I don't agree with your definition of RPG's, seeing as how you say it like all RPG's contain grinding. That is MMORPG's, not RPG's. RPG's don't need grinding to be RPG's.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Why yes, it's a strictly linear action-adventure.

You may want to replace "grindable mechanics" with "leveling and dialogue trees".

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
RPG: Role-playing game. It's a game where you play a role. The Legend of Zelda games put you in the role of Link. You're playing a role, it's a role-playing game.

But by that logic, every game is an RPG. That point's only really valid based on a technicality.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
... In what way could The LoZ games ever be considered RPGs?
They couldn't even be considered JRPGs.
They are clearly action-adventure.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
No leveling or stat systems = No RPG

"Role Playing" alone does not make an RPG, then nearly any game would be an RPG.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
I think that Ocarina of Time came close to being an RPG, but there was only one "role" and no choice in the matter of who you sided with. However, there were multiple optional side quests to perform, and it did have many of the same features boasted in todays western RPGs. It featured an open world, a lot of gameplay hours, and a primitive form of destructible environments (chopping up signs).

Majora's mask took these abilities, and added the ability to switch between "roles" by turning into the different races at will.

These were the closest two Zelda games to being RPGs in my mind. They were NOT RPGs, but I think they somewhat helped to pave the way for modern (open world) western RPGs.

Ironically, there is no discernible connection between Zelda and JRPGs

edit- Yes, there were open world RPGs before these games like Elder Scrolls: Arena and the like. However, I think that the popularity of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask helped increase the demand for similar gameplay. Also, I suppose they might not be considered "open world" by some standard because you have to unlock sections. Once parts are unlocked you can go anywhere though.

Zildjin81

Feb 7, 2009
HUBILUB said:
That is MMORPG's, not RPG's. RPG's don't need grinding to be RPG's.
You know that MMO stand for "massive multi player online" or something like that, right? The only difference in the definitions of RPG an MMORPG are that one is online.

Zildjin81

Feb 7, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
No leveling or stat systems = No RPG

"Role Playing" alone does not make an RPG, then nearly any game would be an RPG.
Then I think we need a new work for those games. If role playing doesn't make it a role playing game then something is wrong.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Zildjin81 said:
HUBILUB said:
You know that MMO stand for "massive multi player online" or something like that, right? The only difference in the definitions of RPG an MMORPG are that one is online.
I know that, but massive grinding is a defining part of MMORPG's.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Zildjin81 said:
HUBILUB said:
Yes, but MMOs do tend to have a strict focus on the grind, to keep you playing, to make more money off of the player.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Velocity Eleven said:
For some reason whenever I hear that people say that Zelda games are RPGs I getting REALLY ticked off by it. I want to hear other people's thoughts on this... I plan to make a video or write an article about htis because I'm really passionate about it and it just annoys me to no end. But in order to plan it out I need a good collection of general feedback (though I have some general and some incredibly idiotic feedback already) though first of all this is my take on it:

Zelda games are not RPGs because there is no significant grindable mechanics whereby the player can perform repeated tasks to decrease the difficulty of certain tasks. All improvements and upgrades that the player can accumulate are based on several one-time events, many of which are simply alterations to the gameplay features rather than optional increases. The only grindability that comes from Zelda games is the way the player can collect items from enemies and grass although this mechanic is incredibly minor
That's pretty much right, but the term "grindable mechanics" is sort of weird.
Also, are you the VelocityEleven guy from Youtube?

ArteMor

Dec 24, 2009
LeonHellsvite said:
It is an ARPG or an action adventure game, and an RPG doesn't need to have grinding in it. and yes you can get upgrades (magic meter, arrows, bombs and heart containers) Just because it doesn't fit perfectly into your mold of an RPG does not mean it is not an RPG.
I completely agree. I see it as somewhere between an Action Adventure game and a Linear RPG game.

Not all RPG's are required to be level based open-world adventure. Almost any JRPG is a perfect example of this.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
If you ask me, adventurers and rpgs have always covered a bit of the same ground. There is no definite line between the two. I would love to hear points to the contrary though.

Velocity Eleven

May 20, 2009
Journeythroughhell said:
Velocity Eleven said:

Zelda games are not RPGs because there is no significant grindable mechanics whereby the player can perform repeated tasks to decrease the difficulty of certain tasks. All improvements and upgrades that the player can accumulate are based on several one-time events, many of which are simply alterations to the gameplay features rather than optional increases. The only grindability that comes from Zelda games is the way the player can collect items from enemies and grass although this mechanic is incredibly minor
That's pretty much right, but the term "grindable mechanics" is sort of weird.
Also, are you the VelocityEleven guy from Youtube?
indeed I am, how do you know me?

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
well yea it's action/adventure.

it would be an RPG in the same way that say... Gran Turismo or Army of Two are both RPGs. You play a "role" in both games right?

by definition I usually look at RPGs as having level caps and swappable pants.

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
I think all this comes about because people get confused with calling genres what they are based on story and based on content.

Content wise - Zelda is not an RPG. There are no stats to build or any other normal RPG archetypes. It is a standard hack and slash platformer, just like Ratchet And Clank and etc.

Story wise - Zelda is not an RPG, but this is where some people might be confused because it does have an expansive story however it is missing the Role Playing STORY elements that make KOTOR, Fallout 3, and DA:O such great RPGs. No, in this case it is an adventure game.

Basically, an RPG can describe the content of the game and how the story plays, and that is where there is the confusion. However, Zelda is a platformer adventure game like everybody else says. Most games have a genre of gameplay and genre of story.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Funny enough, I've made a case that Zelda was probably one of the first "sandbox" games. Really, it sort of it. Take the very first Zelda from NES. You have a huge open world with no specified direction to go. It's up to the player to explore the world and solve the various quests that come his way. As Zelda evolved, more Side-quests came into the game to give it all more depth and introduce some more minor characters.

To say Zelda is an RPG is inaccurate because it lacks a lot of the RPG elements (such as actual Role-Playing). In Zelda, you play as some annoying kid in green-tights who cannot jump unless it is off a ledge (and preferably into a pit). There is no role-playing there and you can't even change what sort of path you take to the end goal. As stated, Zelda is more Sandbox-Adventure than RPG.