Zelda: Spirit Tracks Aims For "Wider Age Group"

JLrep

May 8, 2009
Judging by the way Zelda games have been going, "Wider age group" means that enemies no longer attack Link, and they can be killed either by hitting them with the sword or by swinging the sword in their general direction. Perhaps by tapping on them with the stylus.

Either that or they're upping the maturity. Link running around, hacking the arms off of Moblins, curb-stomping a Wizzrobe... but judging by the cel-shaded cuteness probably not. :p

Azaradel

Jan 7, 2009
Frankly, it's time Nintendo stops and thinks over what the hell they're doing. I mean, a train? Seriously?

I'll remain convinced that they're all constantly high until proven wrong.

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
I've only liked the console Zeldas, even then there are plenty i hate. My favorites are still OoT, Link to the past, and Twilight Princess. Windwaker I didn't even bother to pick up, same case with phantom hourglass, for that matter I'm not getting this either.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
I actually liked the time progression into the future. My only remaining hope though is that they actually do something different with the setting they have, instead of having a train as their only gimmick.
I wanna see Link shoot Gannon with a musket damn it!

EDIT: Judging from the preview, I'm probably not going to buy it. It's still going to be the same old "toon link" doing the same damn things. The train doesn't even look good! It's made out of logs and wood!
I thought Nintendo pulled something cool out, but it's going to turn out to be a let down.
Why don't they just give the fucking train a face, call it Thomas, and use him instead of Navi? See, there's an original idea, why can't Nintendo come up with one?

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Toon Link? Ugh... I hate him with the burning intensity of a thousand suns.
I almost got excited for a new Zelda game until I saw it was him.

DAMN YOU, NINTENDO! Link is supposed to be a serious character, not this cel-shaded pre-pubescent douche!

Jul 9, 2008
Zarthek said:
I've only liked the console Zeldas, even then there are plenty i hate. My favorites are still OoT, Link to the past, and Twilight Princess. Windwaker I didn't even bother to pick up, same case with phantom hourglass, for that matter I'm not getting this either.
You really should at least try WW, it's a really great game.
Klagermeister said:
Toon Link? Ugh... I hate him with the burning intensity of a thousand suns.
I almost got excited for a new Zelda game until I saw it was him.

DAMN YOU, NINTENDO! Link is supposed to be a serious character, not this cel-shaded pre-pubescent douche!
What's so bad about Toon Link? I really don't get all the hatred he gets. I mean, I like the idea of the separate timelines having separate styles, and having a game that's so lighthearted and unique looking really acts as a good counterpoint to the Grimdark games.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
Iggy Rufflebar said:
orannis62 said:
Anyway, it might just be because I got into Zelda later than most.

I was literally stunned when I read you considered that wind waker was the best Zelda game. There are more of you who think that?!? E-gad each to thier own I guess but OOT and the original Legend of Zelda are by far superior.

Although as you are late to the Zelda scene I guess it's understandable. What was your first Zelda game? the wind waker? If so I guess it makes sence.

As with most nintendo games the newest bunch of Zelda games have been cash ins, although I found the twilight princess pretty awesome *for the gamecube of course*
Actually, as someone who has been playing zelda for a long time, I do tend to back the idea of Wind Waker being a very good game, and one of the better zelda games out there. But then I was one who preferred OOT to TW, and MM to OOT, so it may put me in a category separated from usual zelda fans. I honestly don't know.

I do hope they improve the lackluster parts of PH though. Part of what as always made the zelda games for me is the large interactive world outside the main quest, which you wanted to explore. I didn't really get much vibe from that in PH as the world was pretty sparse.

Hope they populate it a bit more.

nimbylive

Apr 15, 2009
I personally dislike the toon link games as well. It is not simply the graphics, I actually understand their use on the systems they were used efficiently and added a new look to the franchise. However, both games had aspects that artificially upped the amount of time spent with the game and both used incredibly boring systems to do it. For anyone that loves Wind Waker I am truly sorry that you missed out when Link to past or Ocarina were new and cutting edge. I realize their was a gap in time there but when each of those came out they were incredible. I will be the first to admit that N64 3d games do to stand the test of time as well as 2d games, but they were marvels at the time.

Now back to two toon games. I want you to add up how many hours you put into you first complete playthrough the game, then I want to subtract the amount of hours you spent just sailing around fending the occaisional (and mundane) enemy. You get warps that are only near your target about 2/3 of the way through the game..... Now subtract that sailing time again because it is actually very boring and the opposite of fun.

Phantom hourglass is no different. Thankfully the boat rides are shorter, but as some other point out the temple was the dumbest idea I ever seen in a top rated game. SPOILER, sort of, You even make it to the bottom only to find out that a door you visited earlier actually leads to a whole other huge section of the temple....boring. My gripe is that if you remove the terribly boring, and lets be honest unfun parts, you are left with just a few hours of truly enjoyable game play. It is not worth it. I worry about this new one because something tells me that the train will only go one speed, and you will probably be on it a lot. I am a huge fan of the Zelda series, but they are running out of ideas, and I can't blame them for that, I feel it is okay to take the franchise in a new direction that does mean that you have to fill the time with very boring and very repetitive game play.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
So, phantom hourglass with a train. Good to know Nintendo is still holding on to it's imagination.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm really diggin' the new theme. It sounds somewhere between Phantom Hourglass and... Chrono Trigger.

If it's anything like Phantom Hourglass, then I'm happy. I never liked the 2D Zelda games until they went cell-shaded. Minish Cap was a complete bore. People seem concerned about the train, but I'm just happy Nintendo doesn't rehash the same crap over and over - every time they give me a sequel to a real Zelda, Mario or Metroid game, it's always creative, fun and one of the highest quality games of the year.

Keep on making 'em... But please don't focus on the wider audience too much... I love you more. <3

Me since Super Mario Galaxy --> http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=269

ikari_matt

Aug 19, 2008
the graphics suck but then again its nintendo DS , i didnt like the phantom thingy zelda game on the DS what makes you think im going to play another game thats plays the same but with trains D= i mean first it could have work on another console and second, what the fucking fuck nintendo D= we want new ideas not over rate the classic games we still enjoy...sometimes...rarely... xD

ConnorCool

Master Assassin
Apr 23, 2009
It's good that they are trying new things, I think.
Im certainly going to get it 8]

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
WanderFreak said:
Wider age group?

Wider than... humanity?
Indeed - the unborn and post-mortem groups are now being targeted: "Play from inside the womb, or via Nintendo ouija board attachment"

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
My perceived issues with this game:
1) "Zelda" titles have always been fantasy-based. However, I do like the idea of transposing it into an industrial-era period, but this game isn't that... they just dropped some tracks on the fantasy landscape. The developers need to go all the way with that idea or not at all.
2) "Wider Age Group" makes no sense. This series started over 20 years ago, and still has a fairly strong fan-base (unlike other properties like Sonic and Mario which have waned heavily over the years). Unless they're shooting for really, really young players (say, 6 and under), I don't think they'll grasp the complicated DS controls.
3) Stop with the ugly cartoon characters, already!

Cylem

Feb 27, 2009
I played through all of Phantom Hourglass and Windwaker's one of my favorite games, and I do want to play this game, but the "wider age group" term is kind of worrisome. Phantom Hourglass already was a pretty huge jump from the typical Zelda game. I'm all for innovation and spreading the love of games, but I don't want Nintendo getting too carried away with widening appeal.