Zelda Warriors?!

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
I'll be honest, this looks generic as all hell. Both visually as well as mechanically.

So it's basically Dynasty Warriors wearing a Zelda skin. Running around a completely barren landscape brushing aside countless mooks. And the visuals couldn't be more dry and tasteless if they tried. I don't know what the hell they were going for, but if you hadn't told otherwise I would've thought this was some joke trailer someone made in his free time.
They haven't even gotten an official name for the game yet. I highly doubt they are close to done with it.

They just wanted to get the word out there to gauge out general interest. If by...near summer or so when/if they show new footage they it looks the same as now, I'm going to hold the same opinion.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Hero of Lime said:
remnant_phoenix said:
Two words: local multiplayer.

If the game has that, I just might buy a WiiU for it.
Not only that, but an online Four Swords mode. That would be really interesting. Though it all depends if Dynasty Warriors has a strong online function in the first place. Nintendo isn't the best at implementing online functions by themselves.
Pretty much all the the recent Warriors games including Dynasty Gundam have had an online component. Anyway, definitely gives me more of a reason to get a Wii U. I'm a huge fan of Sengoku Basara, Dynasty Warriors, and crowd fighters in general.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Dead Century said:
Hero of Lime said:
remnant_phoenix said:
Two words: local multiplayer.

If the game has that, I just might buy a WiiU for it.
Not only that, but an online Four Swords mode. That would be really interesting. Though it all depends if Dynasty Warriors has a strong online function in the first place. Nintendo isn't the best at implementing online functions by themselves.
Pretty much all the the recent Warriors games including Dynasty Gundam have had an online component. I don't see why they wouldn't throw it in, even though I'm more of a local co-op kind of guy myself, for crowd fighters.
OK, in that case it would be a great feature to have. I would probably prefer local multiplayer too anyway which Nintendo usually makes sure to put in their games.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
It looks like at least you can have Link use different items for his "standard" equipment. There's a part in the trailer where instead of using a sword and shield we can see him fighting primarily with the fire rod, so I'm hoping there will be more things like that. It'll be interesting to see how many of the various tools Link has used over the years will appear and how they will be used in a more action oriented game. We know there are at least bombs for his "equipped" item to go with his sword and shield, and I could easily see something like the bow or boomerang be used like the fire rod was in the trailer. Maybe things such as the hookshot to latch onto large enemies, or the use of the medallions from ALttP for different super attacks.

Either way this game has me super excited right now. Definitely the next game I'll be looking forward to after DKC:TF releases.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
If they don't have the "Fierce Deity Mask" I will be crushed. At the very least I'm interested to see how the items are going to be used in a strictly combat Zelda spin-off. So, yeah I smiled throughout the trailer.

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
I don't know what to think... When I think The legend of zelda, last thing I think of is slaying 1000 enemies in one swipe of my sword. I think of the Dungeons, boss fights, and collecting items.

I'll have to see more though, if the combat has depth, I may be able to overlook the fact it seems out of place.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm someone who loved (absolutely, unapologetically, LOVED) Dynasty Warriors Gundam and, Fist of the North Star so this kind of made me resort to happy dances. What they showed us looked a lot like Skyward Sword era enemies but I could have sworn the Dodongo bit was more Ocarina of Time-like so hopefully we can play through different levels from different timelines (and art styles which would be neat if possible).

As for playable characters...I can't really think of any named characters other than Link, Ganon, Ganondorf, Shiek, Zelda, Ghirahim and, Darmani...Hopefully we'll get to play as Zoras and possibly some other races...

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
VanQ said:
Not a big Zelda fan, but I guess I'll give it a look. I intend to buy a WiiU for X but still not 100% sold on the console's library. I'll keep an eye on it but it doesn't look particularly amazing as of yet. The trailer makes the gameplay feel a bit shallow somehow. Like the combat doesn't appear to have the kind of impact as it does in most Beat'em'ups.

I guess it's in early stages though, a lot could improve by release.
For people who aren't quite sure about getting one just keep a look out for a Craigslist for a cheap one at least its back wards compatible if you want to hit up old wii games.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
the_great_cessation said:
I think this looks awful. It's nothing more than a cheap cash-in aimed at the weeaboo crowd. This is literally the last thing I ever wanted from a a Zelda title. I understand it's a spin-off but it just looks so pandering and dull.
Literally the last thing you wanted from the Zelda series? So if they made, say, Tingle all the way (A festive animated Zelda Christmas special) you would be happier with it? What about Hyrule High, the offical Zelda visual novel, featuring 10 different romance paths! Or how about Zelda beach volleyball? Link would look fantastic in his triforce speedo.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
cloroxbb said:
I think this looks awful. It's nothing more than a cheap cash-in aimed at the weeaboo crowd. This is literally the last thing I ever wanted from a a Zelda title. I understand it's a spin-off but it just looks so pandering and dull.
Could you elaborate? How is it a cheap cash-in, and how exactly is it "pandering?"
I'd say it's a cash-in in the sense that at it's core, it's just a cheap Dynasty Warriors game with a Zelda skin on it. Nintendo is putting as little effort as possible to please fans by just throwing the brand name on any generic title just for the sake of getting content out there regardless of quality. Moreover, Zelda has never really been a series about combat. Rather, it's always been more about adventure and discovery, great world and lore building and a wonderful fairy tale atmosphere.An over the top action game just seems thematically inappropriate for Zelda. If I want over the top action, I'll pick up God of War or Bayonetta or something a little more thematically in line with over the top ultra violence. With Zelda, I've always found it was received best when it stuck to traditional western fantasy tropes figured within a "hero's journey" structure rather than the over the top anime action (ie; the Zelda manga). I feel that in making a game that's emphasis is on combat, they are pandering in the sense that they releasing a title simply to service the brand rather than making something on it's own merits. Prior to this, Nintendo used to be a little more careful on what they would slap the Zelda name on. With Hyrule Warriors, The Legend of Zelda is now nothing more than a brand when it used to be regarded as much more than that (which makes me a little sad considering both how much it meant to me growing up and how much it used to mean to Nintendo).

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
I'd say it's a cash-in in the sense that at it's core, it's just a cheap Dynasty Warriors game with a Zelda skin on it. Nintendo is putting as little effort as possible to please fans by just throwing the brand name on any generic title just for the sake of getting content out there regardless of quality. Moreover, Zelda has never really been a series about combat. Rather, it's always been more about adventure and discovery, great world and lore building and a wonderful fairy tale atmosphere.An over the top action game just seems thematically inappropriate for Zelda. If I want over the top action, I'll pick up God of War or Bayonetta or something a little more thematically in line with over the top ultra violence. With Zelda, I've always found it was received best when it stuck to traditional western fantasy tropes figured within a "hero's journey" structure rather than the over the top anime action (ie; the Zelda manga). I feel that in making a game that's emphasis is on combat, they are pandering in the sense that they releasing a title simply to service the brand rather than making something on it's own merits. Prior to this, Nintendo used to be a little more careful on what they would slap the Zelda name on. With Hyrule Warriors, The Legend of Zelda is now nothing more than a brand when it used to be regarded as much more than that (which makes me a little sad considering both how much it meant to me growing up and how much it used to mean to Nintendo).
This is sort of like saying Pokemon Conquest (basically pokemon + Nabounaga's ambition) was a pandering, cheap cash-in. Of course they're going to try a different formula, that is the whole point of a spin off plus, we don't actually know how the game plays yet. This game could turn out to be bad but let's save such judgment for later, yes? I mean, they don't even have a final title for it yet for Pete's sake.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Holy shit, that looked awesome. I mean, yeah, Dynasty Warriors with poorly rendered Zelda backdrop, but still, HOLY SHIT WITH THAT COMBAT.

I've always felt that Zelda has aged poorly in terms of combat. I love the franchise no matter how confusing it can be timeline wise. It's still king when it comes to dungeons, ambiance, and puzzles, but a little variety never hurts anything. So, yeah, thanks for showing this.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Meh, it kinda looks like they made a subpar game (in terms of Nintendo quality anyway) and then stamped the Zelda franchise on top of it to attract the masses. Could be interesting though, but not worth getting a Wii U to play it.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
If it plays as well as Dynasty Warriors 7, then i'm going to be excited. Hopefully they add some interesting mechancs to differntiate it from th Dynasty Warriors though, but i assume they do as much, they always do.

Pixelspeech

Sep 30, 2013
Fappy said:
This was really out of nowhere. I hope the character selection is huge. I want to be able to play as Gorons, Gerudo Thieves, Zelda, Shiek, Ganondorf, etc.

I wonder if it will include artistically varied Zelda characters like from Windwaker.
This.

I really hope they go all-out and include as many factions and heroes as possible.