Zero Punctuation: A Way Out

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
It's funny to think of that one guy's giant nose as inventory space to store items needed to solve puzzles for breaking out of prison.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Eh I liked this game, also am I the only person who always thought Shawshank was an immensely overrated film?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
...So it starts by ripping off Shawshank Redemption and ends by ripping off Double Dragon?

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
A Way Out sounds boring.
Then Yahtzee gets to the part where I want to play Saints Row 2.
Only to remind myself I want to see how bad A Way Out is.

Moagim

Aug 6, 2011
You can't complain about all of the games that force you into sewers for large sections of play and then tell this game to let you crawl through a pipe full of shit for an hour you hypocrite!

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Gauche said:
Silentpony said:
So...what was the twist?
Vincent was an undercover cop
For further elaboration

While Vincent being some kind of cop/agent is foreshadowed by him using professional style takedowns and seemingly at random having access to a plane. The game's action sequences seem to forget that bit of the backstory. The cops don't try and shoot the pair, but the reasons given are more or less logical for that (mid car chase and in a hospital full of bystanders). The prison guards however do try and shoot them pretty significantly. And on the flipside, you're shooting the cops and crashing their cars during the chase sequence by the dozen.

Essentially, with this supposedly being a big operation to get the diamond back and kill the villain, the cops act pretty inanely when they could easily have just feigned letting them go or losing them in any of the action parts.

About the only way it works is if Vincent and the Chief Cop dude set this up as some weird personal vengeance thing for the death of Vincent's brother, but Chief Cop guy even says Vincent's being too personally involved. Why the cops don't just nab Harvey instead of sending two guys in alone.

The final ending tries to re-establish an emotional connection (after one character shoots the other), but why wouldn't Vincent (in my playthrough) just "accidentally" let Leo go if he's that invested. He's already allowed or aided him to commit tons of crimes, damage property and injure people. Its trying to play up the Undercover cop makes friends with the criminal trope while simultaneously trying to subvert it, and you can't really do both.

wh173

Apr 5, 2018
Had to register an account in order to post something critical about your conundrum:

Yeah, like you really have a girlfriend.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Seth Carter said:
For further elaboration

While Vincent being some kind of cop/agent is foreshadowed by him using professional style takedowns and seemingly at random having access to a plane. The game's action sequences seem to forget that bit of the backstory. The cops don't try and shoot the pair, but the reasons given are more or less logical for that (mid car chase and in a hospital full of bystanders). The prison guards however do try and shoot them pretty significantly. And on the flipside, you're shooting the cops and crashing their cars during the chase sequence by the dozen.

Essentially, with this supposedly being a big operation to get the diamond back and kill the villain, the cops act pretty inanely when they could easily have just feigned letting them go or losing them in any of the action parts.

About the only way it works is if Vincent and the Chief Cop dude set this up as some weird personal vengeance thing for the death of Vincent's brother, but Chief Cop guy even says Vincent's being too personally involved. Why the cops don't just nab Harvey instead of sending two guys in alone.

The final ending tries to re-establish an emotional connection (after one character shoots the other), but why wouldn't Vincent (in my playthrough) just "accidentally" let Leo go if he's that invested. He's already allowed or aided him to commit tons of crimes, damage property and injure people. Its trying to play up the Undercover cop makes friends with the criminal trope while simultaneously trying to subvert it, and you can't really do both.
Haven't played the game myself, but from your description it sounds like it might also work if

Vincent actually faced some consequences for helping Leo with all these crimes, maybe even went rouge on his personal quest for revenge. I mean, even an undercover cop can only go so far in their pursuit of justice. Why wouldn't the game just end with the Chief Cop showing up and telling Vincent "yeah, good job on bagging that bad guy, but you've also helped cause untold amounts of damage both to property and persons. So yeah, you're fired. Back to prison with you, for realsies this time".

Like I said, haven't played the game myself, so I don't know if that would make it better or worse. All I know for sure about the game is that I watched the Post-ZP stream, and when they came to the house of the old folks I kept wondering "why did the creators put the 'bumming-around-for-funsies'-part HERE of all places?"

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
wh173 said:
Had to register an account in order to post something critical about your conundrum:

He does, actually. They do Let's Play's [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fJYOgn6ffc] together on YouTube.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Hmm that twist at the end when you turn on each other reminds me of that one Splinter Cell Game that had a co-op story campaign in addition to it's single player one. One player is an American Agent and the other is a Russian and throughout all the missions you're working together to sneak into locations, take down enemies in sync and complete objectives until the last mission where you are both debriefed separately and are ordered for your final task to kill the other player. What follows is either a tense stalking throughout the rear of a cargo plane as you try to snipe one another with silenced pistols or it becomes a wacky action scene where you run at each other emptying assault rifles and the campaign ends with one of you dead and the other being congratulated.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Nile McMorrow said:
Hmm that twist at the end when you turn on each other reminds me of that one Splinter Cell Game that had a co-op story campaign in addition to it's single player one. One player is an American Agent and the other is a Russian and throughout all the missions you're working together to sneak into locations, take down enemies in sync and complete objectives until the last mission where you are both debriefed separately and are ordered for your final task to kill the other player. What follows is either a tense stalking throughout the rear of a cargo plane as you try to snipe one another with silenced pistols or it becomes a wacky action scene where you run at each other emptying assault rifles and the campaign ends with one of you dead and the other being congratulated.
It's Spliter Cell Conviction and it was less "debriefed seperately" and more "send debriefing to the american agent in text and audio, with text being found by russian due him being on the toilet with the text device", making it a slightly different (and hence bit more interesting) way of doing it with still ending up in that PvP fight.

But when Yathzee mentioned that the pure Coop game ends up with a PvP fight with both players against each other, that was the first thing I was thinking of, too: The Coop campaign of Conviction.

I think the 2-player-mode of Streets of Rage 1 or 2 also had that, but that went a bit silly where you were offered to join the main villain and if one agreed and the other disagreed, you fought each other, THEN the lead villain (which doesn't make sense if you agreed to join him) - and THEN take over his job (which then doesn't make sense if you didn't agree)

wh173

Apr 5, 2018
Mangod said:
wh173 said:

He does, actually. They do Let's Play's [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fJYOgn6ffc] together on YouTube.
Too bad you have no sense of humour.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Bindal said:
But when Yathzee mentioned that the pure Coop game ends up with a PvP fight with both players against each other, that was the first thing I was thinking of, too: The Coop campaign of Conviction.
Like much of 'A Way Out' the PvP fight is largely a false choice though. You do have the third person shootout, with a couple of cutscenes interrupting to change the scene. But it just leads to a button mashing QTE that ignores any part of the previous scene where both players tap E to try and struggle towards a gun and the winner shoots the other.

lesliewong545

Apr 11, 2018
Use several hours of your spare time to acquire extra $1000 on your paypal account each week... Get more details on following site>>>

.......... http://Help80.com