Zero Punctuation: Agents of Mayhem

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
That's odd. This might be the first time Zero Punctuation has increased my interest in a game. Which was basically hovering around "none" before watching this.

Now I have developed a nostalgic hankering for G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero on the Commodore 64 (c. 1985, history buffs), what with all the great characters like Blowtorch, Snowjob, Snowtorch and... many other favourites. And this is like that, but with even more to do? Hmmm.

Mind you, it did have a multiplayer mode for a whopping group of two players. But that would have required a friend, and we were too poor to buy one for such a frivolous purpose. So I played mostly all by my lonesome.

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
Canadamus Prime said:
I don't really care that they made her a Lesbian. As I said, I'm not an Overwatch fan. I just have to wonder what the point of establishing that is. I suppose it does flesh her out as a character I guess. *shrug*
It's world building.

What characters feel, what characters eat, how the other inhabitants of a world interact with each other. This level of detail appeals to some players that are interested in the details of the setting. Mass Effect did it with it's codex, Elder Scrolls has expositional NPCs and books, Fallout has audio logs, etc. Most of this optional information has no effect on gameplay or even the plot itself. It exists just to appeal to players that enjoy that level of optional detail and immersion.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Redvenge said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I don't really care that they made her a Lesbian. As I said, I'm not an Overwatch fan. I just have to wonder what the point of establishing that is. I suppose it does flesh her out as a character I guess. *shrug*
It's world building.

What characters feel, what characters eat, how the other inhabitants of a world interact with each other. This level of detail appeals to some players that are interested in the details of the setting. Mass Effect did it with it's codex, Elder Scrolls has expositional NPCs and books, Fallout has audio logs, etc. Most of this optional information has no effect on gameplay or even the plot itself. It exists just to appeal to players that enjoy that level of optional detail and immersion.
I get that. Although unlike those other examples this is not established in game, but in supplementary material. I suppose since it doesn't really effect the game it could be largely ignored.

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
Canadamus Prime said:
I get that. Although unlike those other examples this is not established in game, but in supplementary material. I suppose since it doesn't really effect the game it could be largely ignored.
It's no different than story material presented in a manual or additional information from a developer interview. It's fluff that helps add depth to the world and the characters in it. It is neither good nor bad, just something to appeal to players who enjoy that level of detail in the game.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Redvenge said:
Canadamus Prime said:
It's no different than story material presented in a manual or additional information from a developer interview. It's fluff that helps add depth to the world and the characters in it. It is neither good nor bad, just something to appeal to players who enjoy that level of detail in the game.
Telling us things about your characters is not a good way to introduce us to them. You know, the whole "show don't tell" thing.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Canadamus Prime said:
Redvenge said:
Canadamus Prime said:
It's world building.

That's because Overwatch is a game that has most of its lore established outside of the game and the actual storyline is happening fully outside of the game. It's just the way Blizzard decided to tell their story. That's similar how TF2 does it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Bindal said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Redvenge said:
Canadamus Prime said:
It's world building.

That's because Overwatch is a game that has most of its lore established outside of the game and the actual storyline is happening fully outside of the game. It's just the way Blizzard decided to tell their story. That's similar how TF2 does it.
That's fine. After all it was established in a comic tie-in and not by some spokesperson at a press conference.

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
Canadamus Prime said:
Telling us things about your characters is not a good way to introduce us to them. You know, the whole "show don't tell" thing.
I completely agree with you.

Overwatch does not have a focus on story, but on gameplay. So, while this method is a poor use of the medium, it is understandable.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Bindal said:
Like Bungie with Destiny!

OT; Not surprised Yahtzee isn't a fan of this game.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Canadamus Prime said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Anyway, yeah that's what I thought. Completely pointless.
What you want her to constantly remind the player she is a lesbian
Of course not.
Bindal said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
This game sounds boring.

Also Tracer's a lesbian? Ok, three questions,
1. Who decided that?
2. Does it actually effect anything?
3. Who the hell is Tracer?
1. A comic
2. Nope
3. Overwatch mascot
Igor-Rowan said:
Canadamus Prime said:
This game sounds boring.

1. Who decided that?
1. The Overwatch comic since they couldn't be arsed to make a single player experience.
2. Nothing.
3. The girl in the cover, who stuck her bum out in Overwatch and had it censored.
Oh is that her name? I think I knew that too.
For the game itself, yes, it's somewhat pointless.
For the lore overall (which is basically everything EXCEPT the game), not so much. It adds a bit of fluff and given that outside of the comic showing she has a girlfriend, it is never brought up anyway. Which is better than trying to constantly shove it into our face as if to say "Look, we are divierse! We got a gay character, too!" when it then also doesn't matter for the gameplay or story.
That's the thing, it doesn't add anything. It's utterly arbitrary and pointless. I had the same reaction a few years ago when J.K. Rowling felt the need to announce the Dumbledore in Harry Potter was gay. Does that effect the story in any way? No? Then what's the bloody point?
I'm not a fan of Overwatch and thus have never played it nor have I read this comic. So does her having a girlfriend and her interactions with said girlfriend give us any insights into her character? If no, then I repeat what's the point?

They didn't announce it. They did a Christmas comic. She had a girlfriend in her Christmas comic. It gave plenty of insights into her character since the entire comic revolved around her trying to find a gift but her need to do good for others kept getting in the way of it.

You're being contrarian for the sake of it. She has a girlfriend. There was no fanfare. The only fanfare is being done by people like you

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
JamesStone said:
Canadamus Prime said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Of course not.
Bindal said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
This game sounds boring.

1. Who decided that?
1. A comic
2. Nope
3. Overwatch mascot
Igor-Rowan said:
Canadamus Prime said:
This game sounds boring.

1. Who decided that?
1. The Overwatch comic since they couldn't be arsed to make a single player experience.
2. Nothing.
3. The girl in the cover, who stuck her bum out in Overwatch and had it censored.
For the lore overall (which is basically everything EXCEPT the game), not so much. It adds a bit of fluff and given that outside of the comic showing she has a girlfriend, it is never brought up anyway. Which is better than trying to constantly shove it into our face as if to say "Look, we are divierse! We got a gay character, too!" when it then also doesn't matter for the gameplay or story.
That's the thing, it doesn't add anything. It's utterly arbitrary and pointless. I had the same reaction a few years ago when J.K. Rowling felt the need to announce the Dumbledore in Harry Potter was gay. Does that effect the story in any way? No? Then what's the bloody point?
I'm not a fan of Overwatch and thus have never played it nor have I read this comic. So does her having a girlfriend and her interactions with said girlfriend give us any insights into her character? If no, then I repeat what's the point?

They didn't announce it. They did a Christmas comic. She had a girlfriend in her Christmas comic. It gave plenty of insights into her character since the entire comic revolved around her trying to find a gift but her need to do good for others kept getting in the way of it.

You're being contrarian for the sake of it. She has a girlfriend. There was no fanfare. The only fanfare is being done by people like you
I am not being contrarian. If it was in a comic or some other EU material and not some stupid press conference or something then I have no problems with that.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Canadamus Prime said:
It's called "pandering".

4Aces

May 29, 2012
The initial size of the sandbox is not important. All that matters is the fine size, after you released all the cut content as paid DLC.

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
Hey Canadian keep derailing threads & you're gonna get banned.

Anyway this game does look like a Saints Row: Overwatch. It's a combination of Overwatch's futurism & Saints Row gameplay but while its gameplay looks fun enough & the city looks nice too since nobody yet (that I know of) has done a cyberpunk version of Seoul. The story sincerely is complete trash. Even through I already saw too much of the game I'm going to try it.

Although it seems to lack something CORE the Saint Rows games had... DEEP Customization. From Vehicles to your character's personal Fashion. It's not like I don't think Volition can't make great individual characters. They have done it in Saints Row 2 or for example with Zin.
But this characters right here are just re-makes of things we have already seen or random variations of "le funny guy/gal" personalities, even some of the villains have this same "wonky" attitude. As you can see Volition is still obsessed with all the concepts they have used in the past: biblical references, the 7 deadly sins, hell, Morningstar, the same symbolism they used before, etc. The writer at Voltion has some reading to do, it's clear he/she is uninspired.

Is this Saints Row in another universe? is this Saints Row in the future? I sincerely hope this game doesn't ends with room foreshadowing a sequel but guess what they're clearly going to continue... It's passable as spin-off of Saints Row but that's it.
Volition bruh. There are better ways to do sandbox super hero/villain games. In fact you had the base of that idea with Saints Row 4 gameplay.

Keep the characters Anarchist like the Boss of Saints Row who did what he/she pleased. Make the heroes/villians team have a HQ/crib you can hang around in, hell it can be like the Teen Titans & their T Tower in the middle of an Island close to the City. Let us decide our actions, take jobs we want "good" or "evil" doesn't matters we're beyond that, we want to be able to terrorize over or keep order in the city however we want depending on our tastes. It is our plaything after all our characters are the ones with super powers, no one has power over us why do those characters have to work for another higher commanding boss? They're powerful enough to own themselves.
Playing the good guys (or in this case lesser evil guys) in a game of this kind is boring, being able to play however you want is amazing. The more freedom & customization you give to us the better.
It also clear that now Volition is focusing more in making boss fights which is good but truth is Volition has not yet made a great boss fight ever, they don't know what a great boss fight requires. You don't have to learn how to fight a single boss in this game to beat him, just shoot them until their health bar is depleted, take cover & switch char when your health bar is low.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Canadamus Prime said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Of course not.
Bindal said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
This game sounds boring.

1. Who decided that?
1. A comic
2. Nope
3. Overwatch mascot
Igor-Rowan said:
Canadamus Prime said:
This game sounds boring.

1. Who decided that?
2. Nothing.
I'd argue that Dumbledore being gay affected how his friendship with Grindelwald felt. You can also say that since gay people are more or less the same as straight people, being gay wouldn't affect their character that much. Since gay people exist, it makes sense that gay characters would exist too, even if it's not immediately obvious that they're gay.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
mrdude2010 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Of course not.
Bindal said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
This game sounds boring.

1. Who decided that?
1. A comic
2. Nope
3. Overwatch mascot
Igor-Rowan said:
Canadamus Prime said:
This game sounds boring.

1. Who decided that?
2. Nothing.
I'd argue that Dumbledore being gay affected how his friendship with Grindelwald felt. You can also say that since gay people are more or less the same as straight people, being gay wouldn't affect their character that much. Since gay people exist, it makes sense that gay characters would exist too, even if it's not immediately obvious that they're gay.
Ok, first I will admit my reaction to Tracer being a lesbian was premature. I didn't know about the comic and after giving it some thought I figure this isn't as pointless as I first thought given that it was established in a comic. Also the comparison to Dumbledore a little off the mark.
Now as for Dumbledore, unlike Tracer, it wasn't established in Universe. JK Rowling just up and announced it as if that would effect anything.