What do you hope to find?
When you're down in the pig mine
You're nearly a laugh
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Clovus said:
I see this as highly problematic. First, if TCR simply added a room to the game that had a gun it and you had to use that gun to shoot a pig or whatever, would it suddenly be a "game" now? Or does it have to be hard to shoot the pig?
Picture it like this:

In a "game world"
You have a room, there are two doors.
Entering the left door gets you ending A
Entering the right door gets you ending B

Does walking to either door count as gameplay? It requires nothing more than pressing the forward button. There is nothing that player needs to think about.

So to address your question directly. It depends, does the player need to utilize the gun in a strategy? Does the gun require different mechanics? Does the player need to do anything other than press a button to proceed?

Clovus said:
It just seems pointless to come up with a definition like that.
To you maybe, yes. To others, not so much.

Clovus said:
What if they made it so that you could get past the monster sections by choosing two different methods? Now, even though the basic nature of the product hasn't really changed, it's suddenly can be graced with the distinction of being a "game"?
Like I said above. Choices like that aren't games, the methods you have are the game part.

Clovus said:
What does this distinction even accomplish?
Different people want different things, we can both agree on that right?

If you bought a shooting game, and 99% of the game was racing. That'd be quite annoying right?

Or say you bought a racing game, and there was only 10% racing.

Distinction helps prevent confusion. People who want gameplay can be less worried about their purchases, people who want their interactive stories can buy them with ease.

Clovus said:
Do we need to have a special category for "interactive fiction" reviews? Does Steam need a separate category for "not games" now?
Why not? They have categories for tool software, they've sold a movie, what does one more category hurt? Hell, they could even use their visual novel category.

Clovus said:
Is the problem that someone might accidentally by one of these fake games and be mad when there's not enough "gameplay" (even though reviews are a thing that exist).
Admittedly, yes, people should be smart about their purchases. I happened to be careful with mine and did not pay out of my own wallet for AMFP because I was worried about TCR's involvement.

But whether or not a review exist someone either needs either, to buy the game to review it, or play it to classify it. To save people the trouble, couldn't they be up front with consumers?

Admittedly the original Amnesia's Steam page doesn't list what the gameplay is. But Frictional released a trailer that showed at least the hiding aspect of the game, and even a demo for those who were curious.

Why couldn't TCR have done the same? Did they just want to grab everyone who loved the original game without telling them that they had cut out almost all of the mechanics? The trailer TCR released for AMFP was incredibly vague and full of jump cuts, so it's no wonder people assumed it was going to be like the original game and not another Dear Esther.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
He was far kinder to the game than I thought he'd be. I figured he was going to call it out for being as bad as Dear Esther. Ah well!

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I was really looking forward to playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent: Industrial Pig monster edition. I think The Chinese Room might have misunderstood what made the first Amnesia so scary. I am still going to play it, mostly because of the setting, which I find quite intruiging.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
TheKrigeron said:
There's more comments about people requesting Gta than the actual Requests. Seriously, Some Escapist members really need to tone down the Hipsteria

So... I'm glad he didn't review Gta V this week, that means he isn't rushing it (which is good).

OT: not getting near this game with a 10 foot (feet?) poll, or any horror game for that matter due to that Terrific but Terrifying game, Tomb Raider.
Tomb raider was scary? :L

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I'm surprised he liked it despite its lack of horror

Chaosritter said:
Well, when in doubt, there are still plenty of custom stories for the original Amnesia.

youtube
Is there nowhere I can go to avoid that guy?? I clicked on part of an Outlast playthrough, making sure not to select THAT guy, but he's swarming my reccomendations no matter what.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Chaosritter said:
Nurb said:
Is there nowhere I can go to avoid that guy?? I clicked on part of an Outlast playthrough, making sure not to select THAT guy, but he's swarming my reccomendations no matter what.
Haven't seen anything from him besides that Amnesia walkthrough. Should I know about him?
watch anyone's gameplay walkthroughs for any length of time and you'll learn allllll about him

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
He was kinder to it than I thought he was going to be. I was fully prepared for him to rip it to shreds. It's nice to see someone else liked it.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
ironballs16 said:
I think one of the things that bears mentioning is just how incredible the voice-acting work is in comparison to the first one. Granted, pretty much anything would be a step up, but the VA for "The Engineer" puts a LOT of emotion behind his performance. Case-in-point, the last two bits of soundtrack: SPOILERS AHOY!
Jesus, that first monologue in that video, it's just... Wow. That practically wants me to get the game all by itself, because that was amazing.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
charliesbass said:
With my astounding powers of precognition, I can predict the main topic of discussion in this thread:

"WHERE'S GTA5"
"WHY AREN'T YOU REVIEWING GTA5"
"GTA PLZ"
"#BOYCOTT"
Totally needs to do Outlast next.

More survival horror.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
What? Game made by The Chinese Room in not a lot of gameplay shocker? Who could have predicted that?

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
Kinda reminds me of the 3DS game, The Starship Damrey. *Spoilers* It started off scary when every time I turn around I expected a scare, but after a while you realize a fatal flaw with the game:
THERE ARE NO ENEMIES!
Fortunately, as soon as I realized that, the game was over. It's a shame because it had the right atmosphere, some good scares, a good twist ending, and a genuinely funny moment.

BarrelsOfDouche

Apr 5, 2008
Brilliant. I liked the game too...just not as much as The Dark Descent.

But, like you said...so far even at their worst, Frictional's games (Amnesia and Penumbra) remain loads scarier than other games on the market...

And that load I mentioned earlier is measured in dirty cr*p stained adult diapers. In fact, playing either of the Amnesia titles is a pretty accurate way to measure incontinence.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
So I might pick up this game now.
varmintx said:
Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are
You well heeled big wheel, ha ha, charade you are
And when your hand is on your heart
You're nearly a good laugh
Almost a joker
With your head down in the pig bin
Saying "keep on digging"
Pig stain on your fat chin
What do you hope to find?
When you're down in the pig mine
You're nearly a laugh
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry.
Now I'm gonna put on some Pink Floyd.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
warfjm said:
I wonder if Yahtzee will play Outlast. I know a lot of big name Youtubers are playing it now. The consensus seems to be that "Outlast" is better and more scary than "Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs." The mechanics of Outlast is innovative at least.
I watched a Let's Player play through both Outlast and A Machine for Pigs but Outlast, to me, was MUCH more frightening though I won't say AMFP wasn't GOOD. The mechanics were very impressive and the environment was gripping. I'M never gonna play it (I live the life of an eternally broke individual) but I think it'd be cool if Yahtzee decided to play it on a whim

OT: I'm glad he "liked" it and I agree with what he was saying; it DID have a good story for what it was worth (though it got JUST a bit confusing there for a few moments)