Zero Punctuation: Amnesia: The Dark Descent

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Tontomanzz said:
Time to send some out as Christmas gifts. Tis the season to give out horror to the ones you love hehe.
I would if it wern't for the fact that I gave my friend the demo and he quit and ran into the bathroom after the first 4 minutes (mind you- no monster encounters yet)

...oh and if it matters; he's 18

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Amnesia is definitely on my games to purchase list, but all things considered I'll still wait till it goes on sale. It's one of those games that are interesting, but I might still like CoC Dark Corners of the Earth, a bit better. I'll have to wait and see.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i got my self this game yesterday since it was 50% off on steam. i have played over 5 hours and so far the game dint scare me one bit. yes, you read correctly, it dint scare me. the atmosphere is really nice but scary, not for me. i see a monster i just hide in a wardrobe or in the shadows. big deal.
i love walking in the dark, but pusszilla seams to be so afraid of the dark that he always needs his light fix. which annoys me a bit.
but overall, it is a very well made game. it is different to have no weapons and stay far away from the monsters as possible. so this all is really good, just that it doesnt scare me as i hope it would.
now it installed a expansion with the indication it will have 20% more horror. now im wondering if this has an affect to the whole game.
anyway, good game, just not scary for me.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Do you know what's sad? This is the slowest (and perhaps only one to not be completely "computed" by GLaDOS) indie Steam game of the Potato Sack.

stealthpanther

May 23, 2011
C95J said:
I really wish me and my pants could handle horror games, so I could actually play them, and have fun. Not play them... for 2 minutes then shut down my computer, before going to play Viva Pinata to calm myself down.

I feel like I am missing out on a whole new genre of games... which I sort of am. Damn it!
same here- paranoid nutjob at your service! -bows- yeah, I like story, but as for watching or playing anything horror related- means me getting no sleep for 2 weeks. I tried to get myself accustomed and desensitized to horror-didn't work- I actually ended up taking my glasses off and turning the volume to 1...aren't I pathetic? XD

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
after reading most of the comments here, i feel like i am the only person here who dint get scared by this game. no, seriously, this game dint scare me. i was actually happy to see a monster every now and then. lol.
but i agree with yahtzee, its not great but good.

retterkl

Oct 27, 2008
Metalrocks said:
after reading most of the comments here, i feel like i am the only person here who dint get scared by this game. no, seriously, this game dint scare me. i was actually happy to see a monster every now and then. lol.
but i agree with yahtzee, its not great but good.
We're you playing with headphones on and all covered in darkness?

In which case when the iron maiden opened surely you at least jumped!! I totally saw something coming there because of the scary-azz face ontop of it and I still flipped when it shot open.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
retterkl said:
We're you playing with headphones on and all covered in darkness?

In which case when the iron maiden opened surely you at least jumped!! I totally saw something coming there because of the scary-azz face ontop of it and I still flipped when it shot open.
i played it with my 5.1 surround speakers. and light is always off when i play.

lol, you jumped at that part? lmao!!! it was so clear that something would happen. i even expected a monster jumping out. so the answer is NO, i dint jump at that part.

i dint jump or got scared at any scenes. neither when i saw the first monster, or when i have bin chased by a monster (like in the jail section when you walk up the stairs), or when any doors just opened, or heard something weird. not even in the cellar when this invisible thing in the water comes at you or even chases you. i got even bored when i was in the sewer bc it was so clear that i will encounter few monsters there.
i dint even jump when i suddenly died and woke up in a cell after that. i was more like, "WTF??? why did i die?".
the atmosphere is really good just not scary for me. so yeah, nothing creeped me out or scared me.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I know it's unusual for me to play a lower-profile, two-year-old indie game when there are big juicy mainstream targets doing the fandance in my sights. But while I like keeping up to date, it's slightly eclipsed by my love of celebrating the weeks around Halloween. So Halo 4 (or more likely the Halo 1 remake, since it's officially cheaper): considered to be on my to-play bucket for another year.

It's very strange how I just beat Amnesia a second time, just as Halo 4 is coming out. And yet I don't care much about Halo.