Zero Punctuation and Final Fantasy XIII

Songbird-O

Jan 13, 2010
Sir John The Net Knight said:
jboking said:
TOGSolid said:
Just because the surface appearances are different doesn't mean the games are vastly different. The combat sequences all worked the same, the random encounters all worked the same, the tropes were pretty consistently identical from game to game. The character power progression was always the same (gradual increase, hit plot point, start running around to collect epic gear, beat final boss, done). The inventory system never really changed, and I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point. You're basically arguing that if they took a game like Doom or Medal of Honor, or whatever, and kept everything the same except for the guns, that the two games would be entirely different.
Guys, what's up with Gears of War? It seems like every game is the same. You just run around until you see some enemies, duck behind cover and you shoot. The guns always have triggers, the grenades always explode, it's the same tropes every time. You always get guns the same way (looting dead bodies, finding them on the battle field, it's like they aren't even trying!). The weapon loadout system never really changed much, and I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point.
(Sorry, your medal of honor reference doesn't work. The weapons the characters use change in every game. FFS Snow in FF13 uses jackets[sub]...let that idiocy sink in, I know it took a while for me to get that wtf out of the way.[/sub]. I digress, the system in which the guns are used in an FPS never changes.)
(btw: FF8. Draw system. Learn of it.)
Run, Shoot, Kill, Teabag. Rarely does anything new come out of FPS land. JRPGs may be stagnating, but at least they try to have a story. You know one that doesn't involve greased up, macho men in power armor shooting other greased up, macho men in power armor.

Or aliens...in power armor.
Everything is cliche, hon. It's writing and/or execution that distinguishes one game from the next. That applies to all genres. That's why Yahtzee liked Dragon Age: Origins and continued to play it even after talking about cliche for five straight minutes.

If people don't like a specific kind of game trend, let them not like it. Only people who like certain trends will look past them for something deeper.

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
jboking said:
TOGSolid said:
Just because the surface appearances are different doesn't mean the games are vastly different. The combat sequences all worked the same, the random encounters all worked the same, the tropes were pretty consistently identical from game to game. The character power progression was always the same (gradual increase, hit plot point, start running around to collect epic gear, beat final boss, done). The inventory system never really changed, and I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point. You're basically arguing that if they took a game like Doom or Medal of Honor, or whatever, and kept everything the same except for the guns, that the two games would be entirely different.
Guys, what's up with Gears of War? It seems like every game is the same. You just run around until you see some enemies, duck behind cover and you shoot. The guns always have triggers, the grenades always explode, it's the same tropes every time. You always get guns the same way (looting dead bodies, finding them on the battle field, it's like they aren't even trying!). The weapon loadout system never really changed much, and I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point.
(Sorry, your medal of honor reference doesn't work. The weapons the characters use change in every game. FFS Snow in FF13 uses jackets[sub]...let that idiocy sink in, I know it took a while for me to get that wtf out of the way.[/sub]. I digress, the system in which the guns are used in an FPS never changes.)
(btw: FF8. Draw system. Learn of it.)
Run, Shoot, Kill, Teabag. Rarely does anything new come out of FPS land. JRPGs may be stagnating, but at least they try to have a story. You know one that doesn't involve greased up, macho men in power armor shooting other greased up, macho men in power armor.

Or aliens...in power armor.
Now, to be fair, Final Fantasy has been recycling the same characters in much the same way over the years.

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
I don't think he will even look at it.

I mean it takes space radiation from all the planets just to get him to play Oblivion.

Songbird-O

Jan 13, 2010
ciortas1 said:
If every single game is different, then why the hell are they all named Final Fantasy? Not enough imagination for a new name?
Because it's a series, you silly, silly person.

This is a fun thread.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Nope. He'll hate it on principle...

But for arguments sake, the thing about Final Fantasy is that EVERY GAME IS DIFFERENT.

So, you can't just play one or two and justify hating them all. Even if you are some kind of dedicated anti-Japanese gamer. The series reinvents itself with every entry. New combat system, new leveling system, new characters, new location.

Now, umm...I gotta wait 2 hours to go pick it up.
well he did review a JRPG once, he is going to have to review this one if we keep bugging him about it, i mean, thats how he reviewd COD4 and Borderlands right?

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
WhiteRat07 said:
I doubt he will review it. But i think if he gave a jrpg a good review the four horseman would come.
he will review it, the comment at the end of his Borderlands review saying "Hopefully now i have shut the fanboys up, at least until Final Fantasy XIII" so he must have been planning on reviewing it.

Silencer_007

Mar 8, 2010
Anyone else find it at least amusing that people are already assuming he's going to love it but will still riddle it with criticism for no other reason than because it's his gimmick?

Seriously, it's a JRPG guys. He's not going to like it, and even if he did there has to be at least enough weird androgynous children lacking any gender identification to keep him entertained and certainly enough elements he's already said to hate to fill out 4 or 5 minutes.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
TOGSolid said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Nope. He'll hate it on principle...

But for arguments sake, the thing about Final Fantasy is that EVERY GAME IS DIFFERENT.

So, you can't just play one or two and justify hating them all. Even if you are some kind of dedicated anti-Japanese gamer. The series reinvents itself with every entry. New combat system, new leveling system, new characters, new location.

Now, umm...I gotta wait 2 hours to go pick it up.
You're deluding yourself, Final Fantasy didn't even bother to alter it's core gameplay until FF 12.
you... you have no idea what your talking about do you? it seems to me your just talking about the style of which you battle, if i may say, why bother what works? people like that, and that is probley the smallest part of Final Fantasy, the gameplay is fun, but, Quoting a ZP review here, where here to get owr story on.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Nifty said:
Now, to be fair, Final Fantasy has been recycling the same characters in much the same way over the years.
Yeah, I'm not so sure I agree with you entirely. I mean I'm sure you can define archetypes and there is no end to the teenage angst, though the accompanying melodrama can make a good story if you know what you're doing. But I don't think it's fair to suggest that FF characters are copypasta.
if where taking 7 out of this, then yes, hes wrong in every sence of the word.

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
I don't get it. If you think you'll like it, go pick it up, play it, and write a review. Honestly I couldn't care less about this stupid argument over whether or not he will review a game or not.

We know what his review is going to boil down to, considering his hatred for JRPGs, and I'd honestly rather him review something else just to make all the fanboys here whine about him not reviewing it.

/* Side Note: Although I have liked some of the Final Fantasy games, I'm not in the rush to defend them or buy the next one the moment it comes out.

Songbird-O

Jan 13, 2010
Songbird-O said:
Everything is cliche, hon. It's writing and/or execution that distinguishes one game from the next. That applies to all genres. That's why Yahtzee liked Dragon Age: Origins and continued to play it even after talking about cliche for five straight minutes.

If people don't like a specific kind of game trend, let them not like it. Only people who like certain trends will look past them for something deeper.
Oh it's not that I have a problem with people not liking it. Some people think youtube poops are funny. I guess if that's your thing, than that's your thing.

What I'm not looking forward too is that this site is going to have hundreds of Yahtzee-philes screaming bloody murder that FFXIII is crap and that the series is dead because their patron saint decreed it so. I welcome people's opinions, I just don't want to hear the opinion of one overly picky individual repeated ad nauseum through the mouths of his trigger-happy fanboys.

That being said, After X, X-2, XI and XII I'm somewhat skeptical of FFXIII. Thus, I am approaching it with cautious reservation, but also hopeful enthusiasm. If that makes any sense. Still I'd rather Yahtzee just save us the trouble of espousing what we already know is coming.
I jumped in at the wrong time, I guess. I haven't been on The Escapist for very long, but I've been watching ZP for quite a while and I see where you are coming from. Fanboys are a given everywhere.

I thought Yahtzee said he had nothing left to say on JRPGs that he hasn't already said, hence the throat gargling. I don't think he could do that noise for an entire review.
ciortas1 said:
Songbird-O said:
ciortas1 said:
If every single game is different, then why the hell are they all named Final Fantasy? Not enough imagination for a new name?
Because it's a series, you silly, silly person.

This is a fun thread.
Games in a series would usually continue each other's main stories or enrich the backstory of that universe, so if every single Final Fantasy game is in a different world with different characters (they all look the same to me though, except that negro), and supposedly has different game mechanics, where does the 'series' part come in?
Because they all share common elements, themes, and story structures. The fact that everyone here is complaining about the series' similarities should be evidence enough.

Not to mention, FF has become a brand name. Is that what you were getting at? Because that's true too.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
meganmeave said:
MiracleOfSound said:
No he won't.

Way too many ZP threads lately.
They're just jealous of your threads. ;)

Put ZP or Yahtzee in the title and you'll get at least 1,000 hits. It's like playing a game on easy to get an achievement. No challenge if you ask me.
Possibly... I had no idea that Fallout 3 thread would hit 10 000 views though, that was madness!

It feels like every second day there's another 'What will Yahtzee think of 'x' game' thread. It seems a bit pointless.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Nifty said:
Firion: He is pretty much a stereotype of the genre he is an orphan whos home was destroyed by the emperor and he joins a rebellion to stop them.
Cecil Harvey: A noble dark knight turned paladin.
Bartz Klauser: A fun loving wanderer who hardly takes things seriously.
Edgar Figaro: A Ladies man and a huge flirt, he is the king of Figaro and puts his responsibilities to his kingdom above himself
Terra Brandford: A half esper half human girl who is confused with her emotions and her loss of memory, she later on becomes more headstrong and assertive when she has something to fight for.
Cloud Strife: ... ugh a soulless character who really lacks any personality whatsoever let us move on to a better FF7 character
Zack Fair: An upbeat protagonist who fights to protect his honor as SOLDIER and searches for his old teacher and friend Angeal.
Squall Leonhart: A smart person who is often looked to as a leader despite the fact he hates being responsible for others, he doesn't let people get close to him for the fear of losing them.
Zidane Tribal: A fun loving and slightly immature womanizer who Helps garnet escape from her mother and from a series of events finds himself saving the world.
Tidus: A boy who wound up in Spira after a blitzall game beign ruined by a sin attack, confused and clueless about Spira he follows Yuna on her pilgrimage, Upbeat and carefree he is a bit childish, though serious at heart.
Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca: The princess of Dalmasca, a kingdom that fell to archades she longs to stop archades and free her people very headstrong and a bit of tunnel vision she only seeked to find her goal but she becomes more open as the story progresses

Yup all the same...

Look in to things a bit before you start saying silly things like that.

romitelli

Jan 2, 2008
kahlzun said:
Never ever review it. wouldn't like it on bare principle if nothing else.
Never ever? ZP draws a lot more attention when it's crashing fan boys with mostly witty rants from Yahtzee. He won't miss the opportunity to generate a 1,000+ post topic fueled by fan boys, haters and flamers alike - even if, deep down inside, he does enjoy the game.