Zero Punctuation: Assassin's Creed Origins

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Canadamus Prime said:
darkrage6 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Another fine example of why AAA gaming sucks.
I think a lot of AAA games are pretty good, but this franchise ain't one of em. I hated AC from the beginning, if there's one gaming series I could totally erase for good, it would be this one, the games are all boring as fuck.
If it comes from any of the major Publishers, it sucks.
Not really no.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
darkrage6 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
darkrage6 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Another fine example of why AAA gaming sucks.
I think a lot of AAA games are pretty good, but this franchise ain't one of em. I hated AC from the beginning, if there's one gaming series I could totally erase for good, it would be this one, the games are all boring as fuck.
If it comes from any of the major Publishers, it sucks.
Not really no.
Well pretty much.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Cid Silverwing said:
I was right to quit the series around Brotherhood. Already then it was getting repetitive as fuck with the Italians and collect-a-thon bullshit.
That was also my last dalliance with Ubisoft Game: The Ubisoft Game Variant A7-IVd series, although I didn't play the original so only played through ACII (quite good[footnote]Although Ezio ostensibly being a complete and utter sociopath is never addressed, hence why I've found my AC time to be incredibly disturbing as well as mostly boring.[/footnote]) and Brotherhood, which was just more of the same but less meaningful and in a more boring location.

Quite why any reviewer gives AC:O (as Yahtz points out; the title they go with after a little break is Origins?! it's like the very title advertises they couldn't be arsed) any leniency is beyond me. They've been a kind of weird anti-art product for years. Same banal gameplay loops, the same idiotically referential pop-history schtick, and for a game supposedly about assassinating people it's quite shit at the whole assassins thing.

...and yes, business is business, but other creators in games and film manage to make creative art at the same time as filling their coffers. AC exists only to keep on existing for the sake of suits in boardrooms.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
mysecondlife said:
Brutus and Cassius?? The heck?
Brutus and Cassius are famous for taking lead roles in assassinating Julius Ceaser, and that event is remembered from Shakespear's play of the same name. Basically more just obscure enough pop history name dropping.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Daymo said:
mysecondlife said:
Brutus and Cassius?? The heck?
Brutus and Cassius are famous for taking lead roles in assassinating Julius Ceaser, and that event is remembered from Shakespear's play of the same name. Basically more just obscure enough pop history name dropping.
Thank you. I was aware though. What you stated is exact reason for my reaction. I know how much Assassins creed love to name drop as lazily as possible.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Beat it a couple days back, I enjoyed it. I beat it at level 38 and find it hard pressed to find anything else to actually do. I?m sure there?s several skipped sidequests, a few strongholds gone undiscovered and unmolested by knives and otherwise many landmarks and hunting opportunities considering not all of my gear is maxed out (just the particular stuff relevant to my playstyle). It?s a shame because I did end up unlocking that badass outfit for killing all those secret service duders. I want to play more of it but they?re going to have to offer more than those giant gods to keep me interested. I need some kind of post-plotline about Bayek installing his own Egyptian assassin bureau. Something more interesting than ?here?s an extra mission?.

Still, felt a bit underwhelmed. All that extra time and it seemed like just another one. They don't need to take a single year off, they need to take four.