Zero Punctuation: Assassin's Creed: Unity - From Pirates to Paris

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I feel like I've bashed this way too much, but this game should've been made 4 years ago, and just keep it as AC, AC 2, and then this. Like how they showed at the end of the first one.

When I finished that game, they showed Mayan/Aztech stuff, Japanese/Chinese AND French Revolution, the latter even being talked about by the devs at some point. BUT NOOO, Ubi decided to overstretch the whole thing, make it a yearly release and go for the "Ezio trilogy" instead.

Fuck you Ubisoft. Not THAT much, cuz I love Farcry 3, but still, fuck you.

Evil Smurf said:
Why is it called unity? Does it run on the unity engine?
No, because of the... OH, OH YOU CHEEKY YOU, I GOT THAT! (Sorry, couldn't help myself)

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
All I really want to know is if it's a better Paris sandbox game than The Saboteur.

Because as much as the critics liked to ignore it when it came out, Saboteur turned out to have more finely tuned gunplay, well rounded characters, artistic flair and even actual successful humour in it than most other sandboxes combined.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Evonisia said:
Worse than AssCreed 3? That's one hell of a judgement. But yeah this is pretty much accurate if my observations of the Xbox One version are anything to go by. Maybe it will be much better when it's fixed, but it shouldn't have released broken anyway.
As someone who has really enjoyed all the AC games up to this point, I can safely say it will not be better in most ways even if it gets completely patched. It's the worst in the series.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
Ouch, Yahtzee really didn't like that one. So it would have been good if it wasn't shit? Compared to the nominal tirade of amusing but absurd insults, that comes across as dead serious. Glad I'm not on the team making the game, I would have hid my face in a pillow and cried from shame.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
The boyfriend told me I should buy the new AC with the PS4. I insisted I wanted to be a pirate.
Guess I was right again. :>

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
"This game is inherently terrible and it didn't run at launch on the reviewer's PC"

*scrolls down*

"Buy it now from Amazon!"

Yes, this is surely paying off for the sponsors.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
It's not NEXT GEN anymore! It's CURRENT GEN! If you keep saying next gen over and over soon it will be all over and we'll have new consoles and what are we going to call those? Super Duper Future Gen?

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
blackrave said:
Wait, Desmond was chopped to pieces?
O_O
For once I would like a game where after 2-3 games main protagonist lives happily ever after
For fucking once
I am where you are man I like the series till they started ignoring the story so they could just keep pumping out sequels ala COD style. So when he mentioned that I was like Da Funk as well.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Another issue I have with this release, apart from the myriad already stated, is the franchise nature of the series has been poorly done. Until I went to the store, I didn't even realize "Rogue" existed, much less that it seems to have come out almost at the same time as Unity. I once thought I'd be buying all these games, but it went the way of Final Fantasy...

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Random Wanderer said:
I find it mildly amusing that the escapist played an ad for this very game right before the video itself, when I came in here to watch it.
I got the add before the video too. And after the video another Unity add played as well. So that's two! Really awkward considering all the talk of bugs in the video. LOL

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
For all the gripes I feel like this is a game I want to play at some point much, much later.

Tecuyin said:
Si se acabara todo el contenido del internet y solo pudiera quedar una cosa, me gustaria que fuera esto
Larga vida a Yahtzee.

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
lets go over the checklist.
complains the pc port is shite. Check.
makes an overdramatic statement over buying the ps4 version. Check.
complains about the framerates like they actually mean something. Check.
Constantly pointing out ubisofts member thing and ps+. Check
all it really needs is some out of context anime reaction images and it feels like a post right off of 4chan's /v/ board.

Admittedly this has felt like more of a review than the past few video's he's put out, especially destiny.

maybe this is some sort of secret satire he's been trying to do about all the "pc master race" stuff that more and more people are trying to do. but lately it feels like every review can be shortened to "the pc port is broken" or "Don't buy it there's no pc version" and it kind of gets my goat.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
el_emmens said:
This isn't like "oh it runs at 30FPS, THIS IS UNPLAYABLE!" The game frequently chugs to below 10 FPS even on consoles. That's almost literally slideshow speed; it affects gameplay in a way pretty much anybody is going to notice.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
el_emmens said:
maybe this is some sort of secret satire he's been trying to do about all the "pc master race" stuff that more and more people are trying to do. but lately it feels like every review can be shortened to "the pc port is broken" or "Don't buy it there's no pc version" and it kind of gets my goat.
If someone gets it on PC and it's broken then they can legitimately complain about it. To be fair Yahtzee did complain about the game itself, specifically the execution of the story and time period which he has previously said would fit the game perfectly. Its the execution that's failed them here.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
I wonder if the company-wide EA party is over yet? AC:U and FC4, at the same time. The good new is that in two more weeks Ubi's stock will be worth picking up for a few cents, if just for the IP rights alone (EA need some 'fresh' ideas).

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
el_emmens said:
lets go over the checklist.
complains the pc port is shite. Check.
makes an overdramatic statement over buying the ps4 version. Check.
Constantly pointing out ubisofts member thing and ps+. Check
all it really needs is some out of context anime reaction images and it feels like a post right off of 4chan's /v/ board.

Admittedly this has felt like more of a review than the past few video's he's put out, especially destiny.

The PS4 statement is most odd as last time I heard him talk on the issue it seems he knows full well he'd hardly be safe from that venom if people decided to target him, Alienware and all that but maybe his circumstances have changed since than I don't know.

Its not satire, its called playing to your marks[footnote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_professional_wrestling_terms#M[/footnote]. Its why I'm not much of a fan of people who do that online as they aren't a good enough performer to get over based on their own ability, and have to work over all the marks who believe all this to be real to get anything.
This is gaming, such things should have no place... but it goes on and people swallow it up happily.