Zero Punctuation: Awards for 2008

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
LesIsMore said:
Was looking forward to this for a while now!
I bloody love it when Yahtzee doesn't review a game, but those who would post "FIRST!!!!!1" post that they were waiting for it. Same thing happened with the Clip-show.

Some speedy bannage is most definitely required to weed out the idiots.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
fish food carl said:
LesIsMore said:
I bloody love it when Yahtzee doesn't review a game, but those who would post "FIRST!!!!!1" post that they were waiting for it. Same thing happened with the Clip-show.

Well he didn't say he actually watched the video so he thinks that may be an argument to defend him. Although dunno if the mods will fall for it. ;)

Oh and survival horror gets the bigger failure. So true.

Edit: And there we go.

TJ rock 101

May 20, 2008
Instead of telling us he missed a few game reviews why didnt he just do one now instead of this relatively weak episode?
(i was looking forward to gears of war 2 aswell)

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
lol best award show of this year =) about last year
Can't wait to see the zp awards on the boxes next year!
oh yea and happy new year every one!

DannyDamage

Aug 27, 2008
Nice look back at the year Yahtzee, shame that music still gets on my tits :S

Happy 2009!

Dabamash

Sep 10, 2008
Not bad, but I prefer game reviews. It's quite dissapointing when there isn't a proper review after waiting a week.

FuckYouDad

Apr 23, 2008
This is only good in contrast to the ridiculously bad "Unskippable" shit in the end. DURR HURR SUICIDE

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Honestly I didn't see any similarity between System Shock 2 and Dead Space.

System Shock 2 is a wonderfully atmospheric FPS RPG with a great story and well-implemented mechanics.

Dead Space is an Alien/s knock-off with interesting weapons and jump-out scares to rival the last Jason movie.

I happen to think SHODAN is a scarier antagonist because it's more possible for an AI to be come self-aware and malevolent than for space radiation to make head-devouring mutants out of a spaceship crew.

But maybe that's just me.

Gilgamesh00

Nov 22, 2008
This seemed shorter than usual reviews but that was probably due to the interruptions each minute. Great idea with the awards :)

Oh and Left 4 Dead is a horror-like game but it's actually good.

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
Oh good grief. I can't believe someone is already complaining. I had a lot of fun with this video and loved the titles for the awards. Way to go Saint's Row!

Um, one last thing, what was with the retarded video at the end?

"Thou shalt not attach retarded videos to the end of Zero Punctuation, unless said video is by Yahtzee." Reviews 3:28

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
MasterCheifn said:
Wouldn't Left 4 Dead be considered a horror game?
I considered that at the time, but I'm unsure if it counted as "survival horror". Sure, you need to survive, but it's different to those he mentioned. It falls under "zombie shooter".

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I honestly have to say that either Yahtzee is simply calling attention to himself but having a sacred cow barbecue or he's just brutally honest. I prefer to say the latter, but I kept getting the feeling it was the former.

I'm going to choose the believe that he's being honest. He's never let me down before!

darrinwright

Oct 1, 2008
The "Indiana Jones in a Fridge" Award?

Pure Comedic Genius. I actually had to pause the vid until I stopped laughing.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Mythbhavd said:
Oh good grief. I can't someone is already complaining. I had a lot of fun with this video and loved the titles for the awards. Way to go Saint's Row!

"Thou shalt not attach retarded videos to the end of Zero Punctuation, unless said video is by Yahtzee." Reviews 3:28
That video at the end was from Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Nico4

Dec 24, 2008
Funny vid, even more funny most of the awards are bad :p the clips after the awards however weren't so funny

milomalo

Mar 29, 2008
so... no....

LBP
Cod 5
Gears2
Resistance 2

well at least we have time to see if he reviews any of that games

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
And Yahtzee confirms why I spent the bulk of 2008 replaying my favorite PS2 and SNES games rather than snapping up the latest releases.

Thank you, you herculean exemplar you.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Ahh the year in review... the time when Yahtzee can do AOE to many games at once. Almost fell out of my chair with the cartoon rat joke. Keep up the good work this year too Yahtzee.

mathias53

Mar 25, 2008
Cut out these fucking award shows and clip shows. I came here to see Yahtzee review a video game and thats what i want to bloody see.

SgtFlaman

Oct 15, 2007
I'd have to agree, I enjoyed Saints Row 2 MUCH more than GTA IV. And I'm eagerly awaiting the last of the trilogy.

MasterCheifn

Nov 12, 2008
fish food carl said:
MasterCheifn said:
I considered that at the time, but I'm unsure if it counted as "survival horror". Sure, you need to survive, but it's different to those he mentioned. It falls under "zombie shooter".
It's true that's it's more about the survival than the horror, but I still think it counts :/

puppybeard

Oct 29, 2008
That was funny, if a bit short. That said I can't complain, I haven't started working normally since christmas either.

I haven't played Saints Row 2, but the first one was miserable.
I'd rather not play the sequel, and can imagine it could only be welcomed by somebody who has to play games for a living and gets very bored.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Not a review but still amusing. I was a little surprised at the praise given to Saints Row 2.

DaneFK

Jan 7, 2009
A good survival horror game DID come out this year. Siren Blood Curse to PS3.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Gamespot ended up giving MGS 4 some type of GOTY, but then again, since the Gerstmann thing my respect for them has gone from crawlingly low to GONE. I'd rather trust Yahtzee's Asshole Reviews Inc. on this than the lukewarm print drooled from a publishing monolith seeping ad money at the pores.

Mintycabbage

Dec 3, 2008
I was disappointed with this review on 2008. Half of the review was spent watching the titles of the awards and listening to that hard rock 'music' that would make crazy diamond turn in his grave. If I must listen to some music put something on that doesn't make my ears bleed for example some Jazz. I don't particularly like Jazz but it is better than that. Still Yahtzee's genus is still there and I enjoyed it, even though by the end I almost drowned in a pool of blood.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm,

Well I was kind of hoping he'd do something like this. I actually suggested it in my response to the highlights reel, and I thought it was pretty good. Of course my idea was for something to do instead of a highlights reel. :)

At any rate, I don't agree with Yathzee on all things, but I also loved Saint's Row 2, it being one of the games I played non-stop all the way through to the end. GTA 4 didn't hold my attention that long. I do however tend to think that someone should take the ideas from both of these games, polish them, and smack them together. I for example liked a bit of the "filler" from GTA 4 such as the TV shows and such, and found myself wishing that Saint's Row 2 had a bit more of that kind of eye candy in it (though not at tne expense of gamability).

Also the way they set up the social elements with GTA 4 needed to be blasted. It started as a neat idea, but turned rapidly into an annoyance. I do however see the potential for something like that to be mixed with SR "Homies" providing they can liven it up a bit... and of course set it up so they don't call you. When your wandering around with a knife, looking for collectibles, and murdering passing pedestrians for a bit of extra pocket change, nothing is more jarring than "Hey, let's go on a date to the comedy club" and having to drop your exploration, and then come back afterwards. :p

-

I think Yahtzee might be being a bit too hard on the horror genere. Coming up with something truely unique (in any media) today is tricky. Add to this increased concerns about ratings even in the US, and then even tighter regulations in places like Australia if you want an international release, and well... it gets tricky.

The thing is that we've seen so many great horror games over a period of time, that almost everything seems like a retread. Also being adventure games, the idea is for the player character to ultimatly survive, so everything must be beatable/avoidable. Depending on which you go for, it rapidly turns into a "jog through everything" game, or a slaughter fest.

I see the potential to make some really intense games none the less, but the big question is not just whether they can be made, but whether anything better than what we're seeing will be allowed by censors.

Still, I've sort of had my eyes on "Fatal Frame Zero". While another sequel from a long running franchise series, I'm hoping it will be a more worthy game than most of what we saw in 2008.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
It wasn't an actual review which was a shame but at least now I know that Yahtzee is planning on reviewing GoW2 and *fingers crossed* LBP. I was disappointed before by the lack of these reviews.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
2008 really seemed like a crap year in gaming, especially through Yahtzee's eye. I found a couple of games last year I like which Yahtzee didn't review... mainly because they're JRPG's and he hates them as much as I hate westren RPGs. I guess it's all about opinions and I agree with Saint's Row 2 being best of 2008 because even though everywhere else said MGS4, I found the game to be rather poor in comparison to the older ones. Somehow I get the feeling that 2009 may not be much different(outside of Street Fighter IV) because again it look like another year of sequels, clones and hopefully the ultimate questions answered, which are when will Final Fantasy XIII be released so we can sit in our seats properly? and will a new innovative game that doesn't fall short at the finish line be released? Then again it's all about taste and personal opinions.

Also I hope that 2009 brings Yahtzee a new game in his top 5 because if a new game makes it in his top 5 you know it's got to be one of the best.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Mostly right on the money, especially about MGS4 and the horror genre. Actually makes me want to go out and try Saint's Row 2 despite the fact I am allergic to GTA 3&4. I am a bit sad about there being no review this week, but what the heck, it was a decent laugh.

P.S. Drop the theme song and go back to handpicked songs for every episode... ;)

Chieffw

Aug 18, 2008
I found this video lacking in momentum and fun. Flow got broken in 200000000000000000.... parts with the sickening cracks of a person popping his finger joints....

Yahtzee is loosing it :( Less Game Damage and more Zero Punctuation in 2009 PLEASE!!!

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
fish food carl said:
LesIsMore said:

I agree and think perma / IP bans need to be handed out for these, there has been some improvement since the "FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 posters" have been receiving week long bans to prevent them from doing it again the week after, and I know there's always going to be some new guy trying to get in there first, but do we really need these guys around taking up kilobytes of valuable server space, it's just not worth it in my opinion.

t3h m3ss1ah

Aug 13, 2008
He whines and moans that there were no original titles this year but he fails to mention one of the most innovative console titles in years... LittleBigPlanet, it's like he's not allowed to mention it or something

Samoftherocks

Oct 4, 2008
Therumancer said:
Hmmm,

Still, I've sort of had my eyes on "Fatal Frame Zero". While another sequel from a long running franchise series, I'm hoping it will be a more worthy game than most of what we saw in 2008.

>>>----Therumancer--->
Considering the state of sequels in this day and age, I fear for the release of anything new from the Fatal Frame title barn. Fatal Frame has to be one of the most overlooked and underrated series in the genre, and it would be a shame to see it get all RE4'd like Silent Hill did (not that RE4 was bad, just that it was done once and that felt like enough). Unless Zero is the best in the series, it will fall into obscurity after a brief lashing by those who know about and choose to snark on games thus driving it's mass potential into the ground.

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
I lol'd.

Do you find it creepy that people who comment your videos try to emulate the way you talk by using words like "Bloody" your ever so famous references to "tits" etc? Especially knowing most of them are probably very, very American. Like me.

Oh in case anyones cares My GOTY - Fallout 3 (My love for Bethesda is almost growing into fanboyism, but I still admit when they do something wrong, Fallout 3 however, was very right)and Left4Dead was easily runner up just for the sheer fun factor.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
nice video...

i can bet that next year far cry 2 will be in the award for "the most grinding game"

and im pretty disapointed he only had one good award (its ZP what should i expect?) and that fallout 3 didint win it.... oh well always next year

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Wow, you're giving your own award ceremonies? Can we expect one next year?

I kind of agree that I, along with many others, do have a hard time grasping whether or not your like a game, Yahtzee, but that's partly because you talk to fast at first, but I do watch your reviews several times so I eventually get it.

Also, you still have Mother 3 in mind for this year, right?

drgnrbrn316

Jan 7, 2009
I actually don't mind the award show, though I think the music he used for the GDC show would have worked better for an awards show.

I am a little disappointed that it doesn't look like Little Big Planet is even in his queue for next year, as I wouldn't mind hearing what he had to say on the subject.

And I thought MGS4 maintained the stealth element pretty well

ascagnel

Dec 24, 2008
Finally, someone called out GTA4. I kind of wish there was a comparison between the PC version of GTA4 and STALKER: Clear Sky for the buggiest game of the year, but I think GTA4 would win that ward for, you know, not working at all.

I would have given GOTY (out of all his reviews) to Painkiller, though. They may not be the best games but they're still awesome and cathartic fun.

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
Well, it got more laughs out of me than some things, but this is probably one of my least favorite zero punctuations. I'm looking for reviews of games, so anything that isn't a game review is starting out on the wrong foot for me.

Also, I really liked Mirror's Edge and his constant bashing at it weakens my faith in his reviews. Typically I found them to be largely accurate and reflective of what I would think, but because we're at complete opposites of opinion I don't know if i can trust him any more. :(

fallen1

Dec 22, 2008
Mythbhavd said:
Oh good grief. I can't someone is already complaining. I had a lot of fun with this video and loved the titles for the awards. Way to go Saint's Row!

Even though it was not a review of a game, I still think that it was funny. The titles for the awards were entertaining in themselves. If all you want to see is game reviews and all thats cool too, but try and realize that he does do some other stuff every once in a while to break the flow of the same thing week after week. Sometimes that break up in the middle is nice and then when the next week comes it will be back to reviews.

Untamed Waters

Dec 12, 2008
Mythbhavd said:

Dude, that was a new series to the escapist called "Unskipable" (SP)

Actually very funny, you should check it out.

By the way, nice review, actually somewhat enjoyed this one.

jamesc

Jul 30, 2008
As ussual, I dissagree with his veiw points but like his videos because of the humor. Too bad that he had to use the theme song so much. I kept missing parts cause I didnt know when to unmute it. But seriously, Saints Row 2 GOTY? Why? I haven't played it, and it doesnt look bad, but it doesnt look nearly as good as the incredible qualities of Fallout 3, PoP, Left 4 Dead, GTA4, Gears 2 or Far Cry 2. I mean god, those are some of the best games I've ever pla- wait, no... I'm not gonna be one of those people that rants against Yahtzee... It's his opinion and he's entitled to it. BUT WAIT, HE SAYS THE PRINCE IS THE WORST CHARACTER OF THE YEAR?!?! WHAT THE HELL, MAN??

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
No surprise in Sonic Unleashed taking that award. Many people believe Sonic died after the Adventure series, but I believe it was all over after Sonic CD.

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
It seems everyone is hating on Yahtzee for his decision not to review a game every week. Well here's a question for you: have you ever called in sick to school/work to do something fun instead of going to school/work? If you have, then consider the clip show/awards show just like that and shut the fuck up about it already.

Yahtzee's certainly old enough to know what he's doing without being told off by picky wannabe fanboys. Unless you want to critique his choice of award winners and not the actual award show, go sit in the corner and shut up.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Hattrick! This is the third week in a row that I've forgotten that ZP updates on wednesday, go online and finds a nice suprise. The last two times were in busy holiday season, I dunno what made me forget today. Anyway, not expecting it just makes it that much sweeter!

Evan Waters

Dec 12, 2007
I couldn't actually hear the end bonus thingy very well. Something wrong with the sound, it's there but it's very very faint.

stickmangrit

May 30, 2008
soooooo...

not to second guess the Mighty FuckMothering Yahtzee, but can someone explain to me how SR2 managed to beat out Portal for GOTY? was Portal not a 2008 release, and was it not declared perfect by our feora'd Ubermensch?

just sayin...

cartooner2008

Dec 18, 2008
stickmangrit said:
soooooo...

not to second guess the Mighty FuckMothering Yahtzee, but can someone explain to me how SR2 managed to beat out Portal for GOTY? was Portal not a 2008 release, and was it not declared perfect by our feora'd Ubermensch?

just sayin...
Portal was released in 2007.
That's why.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Christ Yahtzee, think you could assault our ears with that song anymore? How about a new song for the new year? Maybe one that doesn't suck, eh?

Xylon Lionheart

Jun 4, 2008
No, Portal was actually a 2007 release.

Also, I'm glad that I'm not the only person who notices the conspicuous absence of any mention of LittleBigPlanet.

qubit

Sep 26, 2008
Well, I found this a tad disappointing, but I guess we can't expect Branston pickle from Yahtzee every single time he makes a video, can we?

I thought that your points, while sometimes valid, just felt like cheap shots with little explanation. You COULD have made something grand about GTA4 being so monotonous but had to resort to a poor joke. And the stabs at MGS4 are iffy at best - the game is supposed to be pretentious, so I guess it succeeded at what it set out to do.

I still have faith in you, Yahtzee. Don't let this poor reception keep you from making more awesome videos!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
t3h m3ss1ah said:
He whines and moans that there were no original titles this year but he fails to mention one of the most innovative console titles in years... LittleBigPlanet, it's like he's not allowed to mention it or something
I think thathe means as a whole there was just an absolutely massive amount of sequels this year, so many that they clearly outweigh the newer games...also I have a sneaking suspicion he would possibly tear LittleBigPlanet apart a la Mirror's Edge and Spore as a failed experiment(no one ever said he was logical).

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Is it just me or was the short at the end really quiet. I had to turn my laptop's volume up to full and the player volume all the way up just to hear it, and ZP sounded fine.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Heh. No, that's stupid. God you're dumb.

And while I find this music tolerable, considering how few people like it I would've hoped that the start of 2009 would be the time to bring in something better. Not that I really dared to hope for a second that would happen.

And it's true that I don't think Yahtzee has so much as once mentioned LittleBigPlanet. I don't have a PS3 and wouldn't touch that thing even if I did, but considering how successful it supposedly is I would expect Yahtzee to atleast be aware of its existence.

Jul 23, 2008
This felt more like a checklist than anything else. A little more disjointed than usual, it didn't really get into the flow that it normally does.
Oh, well. same time next week, eh.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I agree with most of his awards. And I think the "turd in a turd" award should be given out annually by every media outlet. I do have one gripe, however, about his assessments.

I realize this might go better as a response to the review of Prince of Persia, but I kind of liked the ending of that game... it went along wonderfully with the Prince's cavalier, jerk-off attitude. And the fact that I knew he was going to behave that way even before the "fake" ending sequence serves as strong evidence that his behavior (while stupid) was in-character. And if memory serves me correctly, Yahtzee liked the Prince. Maybe it's because they're both sarcastic, cynical dicks. Alternatively, maybe it's the crazy scarves on his head... a poor replacement for a bowler, I know, but Zoroastrianism is a weird religion.

As for him behaving badly for the benefit of a character "no one likes," I haven't heard anyone else complain about that character. In fact, most people I've read reviews of or spoken to actually liked the character a lot. She's no Alex from HL2, but who is?

As for her schizophrenic behavior, I think the unusual circumstances she's found herself in paired with her dual X chromosomes give her a pass to act a bit emotionally from time to time, don't you?

ZeroRyoko1974

Jan 7, 2009
Some funny awards. The unskippable thing at the end was as dumb as youtube fandubs by squeaky fangirls. Really really bad.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
When I saw Yahtzee was doing an Awards of 2008 video, I figured odds were pretty high he was going to lampoon the utter futility of Awards of 2008 endeavors by flipping the bird to every big-name game to sweep lists throughout the Internet.

I was not disappointed. Especially when MGS4 was first of Yahtzee's list as complete murder of a franchise when every other reviewer and gamer choice reward on the Internet apparently thought it was such an awesome game that it caused their eyes to pop out and copulate right there in the middle of their living room coffee tables.

Take that, you silly tits, who would create lists of "what's best" intended to target thick people by completely disregarding the fundamental question of "best in what way?" (It's the same reason that every time somebody posts a "what's best/worst" thread on the forums here, I want to hit them with a board with a nail in it.)

Unfortunately, when everybody else's #1 best is Yahtzee's #1 worst, it brings pause. When you're facing down the entirety of "best of " lists out on the Internet, you've chosen a fight that would leave most people believing you've lost your objectivity. Giving Saints Row 2 his "only bearable game" reward, when it's a game that completely lampoons itself, does not help to ease these suspicions. It's like saying the only way I'll acknowledge a game as trying not to suck is if it surprises me by agreeing with me that games suck.

Zero Punctuation is technically accurate, but Zero Toleration might be a more apt title. I'd complain more about that, but frankly, I'm in the same boat. It's reached the point where I'm so sick of games that I'm not sure who to blame anymore - the developers for desperately rehashing the same old formula, or myself for not getting out often enough for games to seem relatively fresh. Relativity can be a *****.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
b100draven said:
Im one of the 3 MGS fans thanks for talking about me Yahtzee
I dunno I'm an MGS fan and I thought 4 was a horrible ending to the series, which is why I'm so glad when Yahtzee takes another shot at it.

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
fallen1 said:
Mythbhavd said:
Oh good grief. I can't believe someone is already complaining. I had a lot of fun with this video and loved the titles for the awards. Way to go Saint's Row!

Even though it was not a review of a game, I still think that it was funny. The titles for the awards were entertaining in themselves. If all you want to see is game reviews and all thats cool too, but try and realize that he does do some other stuff every once in a while to break the flow of the same thing week after week. Sometimes that break up in the middle is nice and then when the next week comes it will be back to reviews.
Lol! It wasn't me complaining. I liked the video. But we weren't even ten replies in and someone was complaining. I just couldn't believe it.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
This is the type of video I had expected two weeks ago. Ah well, better late than never and considering the "2008 games still to be reviewed" lag announced in this video, understandable. Anyway, for some reason (probably repetitition) I expected a "Mostest Averagesest Soundtrack Created by Man" award, the "run of the mill" photo and the phrase "goes to Ian Dorsch" to pop up.

Nomz

Dec 10, 2008
I loved the show Yahtzee!

But I love Tomb Raider Underworld, and in my little head he does review it.

Eiseman

Jul 23, 2008
What in the seven rings of fuck is that retarded clip at the end? I can't believe I had to turn up my volume to listen to that kind of unfunny crap.

Please tell me that's not a regular Escapist feature (*checks* Yep, it sure is). You can't be that starved for material.

fallen1

Dec 22, 2008
Mythbhavd said:
fallen1 said:
Mythbhavd said:

Lol! It wasn't me complaining. I liked the video. But we weren't even ten replies in and someone was complaining. I just couldn't believe it.
I know you weren't, I was agreeing with you

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
This one was funny. I glad to watch a video and actully laugh. Unlikes some of your past videos. Great job on make me laugh.

SuperUberBob

Nov 19, 2008
Eh, we already had one review of 2008 episode. No need for two of them.

For the record, Unskippable was indeed very skippable and I was very happy to do so.

michelhulst

Jan 7, 2009
hmmm.. they use a new video player or something? doesnt work for me.. i get this error:
Error: 200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] '486''
at org.flowplayer.view::Launcher/doHandleError()
at org.flowplayer.view::Launcher/onClipError()
at EventListener/notify()
at org.flowplayer.model::EventDispatcher/_dispatchEvent()
at org.flowplayer.model::EventDispatcher/http://flowplayer.org/core/internal::doDispatchEvent()
at org.flowplayer.model::Clip/onClipEvent()
at EventListener/notify()
at org.flowplayer.model::EventDispatcher/_dispatchEvent()
at org.flowplayer.model::EventDispatcher/http://flowplayer.org/core/internal::doDispatchEvent()
at org.flowplayer.model::ClipEventDispatcher/dispatchError()
at org.flowplayer.controller::NetStreamControllingStreamProvider/_onNetStatus()
any suggestions?

mPinkerton

Jan 7, 2009
Funny as always... However, I'd love to hear his thoughts on "LittleBigPlanet"... I think it's brilliant.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
michelhulst said:
any suggestions?
Works for me. I'm guessing your video player got corrupted or something. I'm not sure if those error messages belong to Windows Media or Quicktime or what.

[Edit: A quick Google search reveals you're running something called Adobe FlowPlayer, which is one heck of a weird video player, I'm not surprised you're having difficulty running things. I recommend uninstalling it and getting one that's not so proprietary, like Windows Media Player or whatever works for your system.]

[Edit Edit: Then again, it's not a problem with what you've installed at all. My thinking is Adobe FlowPlayer is what the website is using to distribute the video. Chances are you're encountering this error because The Escapist is currently being hit by a lot of traffic to view this video. Wait for awhile and try again.]

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Yahtzee is getting so insufferably lazy recently. First that bullshit 'Year In Review' which consisted entirely of 5 minutes of jokes taken out of context and now 'Awards for 2008'? I mean seriously? Yahtzee's recent works, with the exception of his Prince of Persia review, have been nothing but half-assed compilations which mean he doesn't have to do any proper work for that week.

Oh yeah, and I'll have a medium ban, with chips and curry sauce. And a Diet Coke.

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
Thanks yathzee for spoiling the end for PoP... Yes he did spoil it, because I figured out what will happen by what he said. You have to be thick to not know which person he is talking about and what the prince is trying to do.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Monkfish Acc. said:
Huh. It seems the new player won't work for me.
Same here:

200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] '486''

That's the error I get when I try to play the video.

jimClassic

Jun 4, 2008
That was pretty funny. But your editing was a little off on this one. Their were a few wierd cuts.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Lt. Sera said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
Same here:

I'm pretty sure what's happening is that the Escapist is currently being hit by a lot of traffic to view this video. Wait for awhile and try again. It plays for me just fine, but then, I already downloaded it and it's in my cache.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Lt. Sera said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
Same here:

Yep, that's the one.

FACT.50

Sep 12, 2007
I haven't commented on a Yahtzee post in a long time, I stopped myself from defending Mirror's Edge, and Dead Space. I didn't say anything to the "year in review" garbage, but give me a break Ben... one review in 3 weeks?? You really are slipping. Not to mention I had to listen to that godawful nu-metal garbage you have for a theme song not once but like 6 or 7 times.

P.S. Game of the year goes to Valkyria Chronicles imho.

eliteslayer

Jan 7, 2009
I want to watch too but the vids down from here aswell:(

also geldonyetitch think thoughts inside the brain... please.

Top Dollar

Jan 3, 2009
I agree with the praise to Saints Row 2 being the most fun game this year but I still think it's strange he missed some of the biggest releases and reviewed pap I'd never even heard of.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
FACT.50 said:
I haven't commented on a Yahtzee post in a long time, I stopped myself from defending Mirror's Edge, and Dead Space. I didn't say anything to the "year in review" garbage, but give me a break Ben... one review in 3 weeks?? You really are slipping. Not to mention I had to listen to that godawful nu-metal garbage you have for a theme song not once but like 6 or 7 times.

Hmm, wasn't worth it really, was it? Oh, and having FACT in caps for a name isn't really going to convince us that you are, in fact, a fact.

Would you like to explain what you see wrong with Yahtzee's latest web-video thingies? I have time, given the video won't currently load.

gregatron08

Dec 3, 2008
*edit*

Said exact same as above poster, didnt realise it was over multiple pages my bad

In response then, no its not working for me either lol

FACT.50

Sep 12, 2007
FACT.50 = Factory Records Catalog #50 (Movement) New Order's first LP after dissolving Joy Division.

It's also my DJ name. The way it appears on the album is indeed 'FACT'

And I did state what my problem is with his current videos. They aren't game reviews. In fact his game reviews for the past 3 months or so have generally been of poor quality. But my biggest problem is his followers. they take his word as bond, and don't even bother to check out some of these games for themselves.

Doug said:
FACT.50 said:

Hmm, wasn't worth it really, was it? Oh, and having FACT in caps for a name isn't really going to convince us that you are, in fact, a fact.

Would you like to explain what you see wrong with Yahtzee's latest web-video thingies? I have time, given the video won't currently load.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
verd said:
Doug said:
FACT.50 said:

Are you Yahtzee's personal fucking nut-rider or something?
Nope, I just get annoyed at agronant 9 year olds like him, and from the sounds of things, you.

FACT.50

Sep 12, 2007
WTF are you talking about? How do I come off as a 9 year old? First of all how many 9 years olds have the attention span to compose more than a sentence or some retarded "In first Woohoo" bullshit?

Doug said:
verd said:
Doug said:
FACT.50 said:

Nope, I just get annoyed at agronant 9 year olds like him, and from the sounds of things, you.

Top Dollar

Jan 3, 2009
Doug said:
verd said:
Doug said:
FACT.50 said:

dude you were gonna defend the latest one even though you haven't seen it yet, there's nothing wrong with it but that's some blind devotion you got there

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Doug said:
verd said:
Doug said:
FACT.50 said:

"Agronant", eh? Might want to check your spelling next time before making remarks about peoples' age, junior.

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Bandwidth over the top, jeez these videos are normally released at 5, i haven't checked if thats the same for this one but surely 2 and 3/4 hours is enough of a cool down period.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
Avida said:
Bandwidth over the top, jeez these videos are normally released at 5, i haven't checked if thats the same for this one but surely 2 and 3/4 hours is enough of a cool down period.
I think it's a problem with the video player; none of the older videos are working either.

Lockjaw|

Jan 5, 2009
Well, I was surprised that he didn't make a fuss about how "unbelievable awsome" GTA 4 was. To be quite honest Im thrilled he didn't, cause it would be like saying - I love it cause everyone else does.

And yes, Mirror's Edge was impressive to begin with; but come on! It's like looping the same bloody picture over and over..

No gears of war 2 review - makes me sad, as I thought the game was pretty good. Blood and lag - woopdidu.

Let's just hope 09 has something more to offer than a new loop of sequals..

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Top Dollar said:
Doug said:
verd said:
Doug said:
FACT.50 said:

dude you were gonna defend the latest one even though you haven't seen it yet, there's nothing wrong with it but that's some blind devotion you got there
I wasn't defending the video, I was asking what was wrong with it. "Its not a review" isn't very critic, nor is "Its poor quality". Specifics as to what's wrong with it and them would be nice, like "I feel he's recycling his jokes too much" or "I find his style of humour boring now" rather than "I don't like it! Rubbish!"

verd said:
I would like to apologize somewhat to FACT.50 though - its when I saw this post that the 9 years old comment came to mind.

Verd, just because someone likes something, doesn't mean they have sexual favours from them - you might work like that, but thats not my business. Also, why is calling me gay considered an insult? You homophobic? Anyway, resorting to swear words on this forum is generally a sign you haven't been here long, or are under the drinking age by a large margin. Or both.

DeDw

Jan 7, 2009
Video is still not working here and I'm starting to think it has nothing to do with the Bandwith and rather with the new player. All the older videos stopped working as well. Anyone here with some technical skills that knows how to fix this weird issue?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Doug said:
Verd, just because someone likes something, doesn't mean they have sexual favours from them - you might work like that, but thats not my business. Also, why is calling me gay considered an insult? You homophobic? Anyway, resorting to swear words on this forum is generally a sign you haven't been here long, or are under the drinking age by a large margin. Or both.
Doug said:
Nope, I just get annoyed at agronant 9 year olds like him, and from the sounds of things, you
Uh-huh. Try getting back to me when spelling simple words like 'arrogant' isn't beyond your capabilities, kiddo. Until then, you're a waste of my time and everybody else's - you're already disliked and riding Yahtzee's balls every few minutes doesn't seem to be helping that much.

Dom Camus

Sep 8, 2006
The new player is FlowPlayer (http://www.flowplayer.org/) which is normally pretty good, so my guess is that there's some configuration error. Either that or ZP generates such a huge bandwidth hit that they decided to store the video content somewhere a bit too cheap. :-/

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
Dabamash said:
Not bad, but I prefer game reviews. It's quite dissapointing when there isn't a proper review after waiting a week.
mathias53 said:
Cut out these fucking award shows and clip shows. I came here to see Yahtzee review a video game and thats what i want to bloody see.
Because Yahtzee owes you anything? You pay copious amounts of money to see him every week?

Fanboys grr

Jul 9, 2008
fish food carl said:
LesIsMore said:

I thought we finally got past all that, no one got banned in the PoP review last week. Oh well, some people never learn.
MasterCheifn said:
No, I and most people agree that its a shooter with the zombies added later. That said, it is incredibly fun and atmospheric.
Mythbhavd said:

First, irony. Second, that video was from the new series, Unskippable. Its pretty funny, when it isn't being taken out of context.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
verd said:
Yahtzee is getting so insufferably lazy recently. First that bullshit 'Year In Review' which consisted entirely of 5 minutes of jokes taken out of context and now 'Awards for 2008'? I mean seriously? Yahtzee's recent works, with the exception of his Prince of Persia review, have been nothing but half-assed compilations which mean he doesn't have to do any proper work for that week.

Oh yeah, and I'll have a medium ban, with chips and curry sauce. And a Diet Coke.
Yes, damn him for wanting a break over the Christmas holidays! He should be working night and day for our personal entertainment!

Booties

Nov 21, 2007
I can't believe I'm actually lowering myself to post here, but who cares. I can't believe I watched that garbage after the second award because that's when I realized I was going to have to listen to that Nu Metal bullshit intro song EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

In fact, I don't even know why I watch these reviews now knowing that the song plays opening and closing EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

PowerLeca

Sep 24, 2008
I can aaaalmost understand ignoring LBP, since it's aimed more at kids than adults. But not even acknowledging CoD5? Resistance 2?? Perhaps only to include it in the cavalcade of sequels, but Resistance also rocks socks.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Nov 17, 2020
Lt. Sera said:
It looks like the CDN that Castfire is using to host the videos is having DNS resolution problems in the UK, Ireland, and a few other northern European areas. We're letting them know about it now and hopefully it'll be fixed very soon.

In the meantime, you might want to see if OpenDNS [https://www.opendns.com/smb/start/computer/] (or something similar) will fix the problem for you.

BrightDeathFriend

Dec 31, 2008
I found the award-giving review this week to be a bit shallow...Sorry...but I look forward to your next review. Hopefully you can look at Farcry 2 and give it some sort of..."critisism"? :p

MikePhilbin

Mar 15, 2008
argh, mi 'at-wearin' shipmate,
when I saw the title of this week's ZP, I thought, "Well, this is gonn' be a bit wank." but it wasn't. It was very good. Congratulations old chap, from another old chap. Remember to review FLOWER in 2009. That's Flower [http://mikephilbin.blogspot.com/2008/12/ps3-flower-thatgamecompany.html]. And you won't be able to complain that "it's not out in Australia yet" because it's a PSN download title. I think.

nervous (piratey) laughter

Jul 9, 2008
ultimasupersaiyan said:
2008 really seemed like a crap year in gaming, especially through Yahtzee's eye. I found a couple of games last year I like which Yahtzee didn't review... mainly because they're JRPG's and he hates them as much as I hate westren RPGs. I guess it's all about opinions and I agree with Saint's Row 2 being best of 2008 because even though everywhere else said MGS4, I found the game to be rather poor in comparison to the older ones. Somehow I get the feeling that 2009 may not be much different(outside of Street Fighter IV) because again it look like another year of sequels, clones and hopefully the ultimate questions answered, which are when will Final Fantasy XIII be released so we can sit in our seats properly? and will a new innovative game that doesn't fall short at the finish line be released? Then again it's all about taste and personal opinions.

Also I hope that 2009 brings Yahtzee a new game in his top 5 because if a new game makes it in his top 5 you know it's got to be one of the best.
I dunno, 2009 looks alright. I'm looking forward to Alpha Protocol (which might be either 2009 or 2010), F.E.A.R 2, and I Am Alive (again, might be either year).
TheCurtmiester said:
thats lame i love the new prince and the ending
I know. You'd think he never played SoT (one of his top 5 games ever, I remind you) because they end in very similar ways.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
ok lets be honest the end of the review was the funniest part where the little girl from eternal sonata asked about the puddle

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
Pretty good awards. Now to look forward to 2009 and just what games are in store for us.

richard misiak

Dec 24, 2008
Rather amusing, I must say I am somewaht disappointed with the absence of an actual game review but this happened last year as well so I can't really complain.

drunken_munki

Nov 14, 2007
Hmm I don't know...
I wonder... can they host some sort of compo to make a theme song for ZP. I'm sure there are many talented people out there...

I don't like the current music :p

Good year review tho.

munster

Jan 7, 2009
I kept getting the same error message reported earlier in the thread while trying to play the video. Tried clearing the cache, but still wouldn't work. I then tried Firefox instead of IE7 and the video played fine.

I would suggest that those with video playback problems change browser too.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Great year in review thing Yahtzee! I loved the part about the ZP awards "for me!" Great review, I hope your next video is an actual review though :p

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
verd said:
Doug said:
Doug said:
Nope, I just get annoyed at agronant 9 year olds like him, and from the sounds of things, you
Uh-huh. Try getting back to me when spelling simple words like 'arrogant' isn't beyond your capabilities, kiddo. Until then, you're a waste of my time and everybody else's - you're already disliked and riding Yahtzee's balls every few minutes doesn't seem to be helping that much.
Whoopie do, a homophobic overly-compensating guy who claims to be "really alot older than you kiddo". Grand. When you come out of the closet, I suspect you'll be alot happier with your life.

severonic

Sep 25, 2008
It's really fortunate that you're funny, because your opinions appear to have very little to do with that of most gamers. Well, certainly not mine at least, which is something I imagine we both take pride in.

P.S.
Putting Mirror's Edge next to titles like Haze, Too Human and the new fucking Sonic game makes you a total tit.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Oh My God. If Yahtzee dislikes games that have sequel numbers in their name, why did not he review Little Big Planet? A game that almost everyone ignored.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
as much as I love the Dorsch (sounds like Porsche but not) music, why was it before every "award", did Yahtzee need to breathe in or something?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
severonic said:
It's really fortunate that you're funny, because your opinions appear to have very little to do with that of most gamers. Well, certainly not mine at least, which is something I imagine we both take pride in.

P.S.
Putting Mirror's Edge next to titles like Haze, Too Human and the new fucking Sonic game makes you a total tit.
who are you talking to? Yahtzee?
dude he's not here, he's too busy ignoring you to death.

and by most gamers, you mean your friends list?.

pothb

Dec 12, 2008
I wish it had a review... but this was good.

What really pissed me off was I thought it was going to be widescreen and maybe higher quality, since I saw a change in the video player. Oh well.

panagram

Oct 19, 2008
"Except Tomb Raider obviously" hahahaha. Thats the outright "slap-in-the-face'ery" I've come to love with ZP. Agreed I prefer a review to an actual game usually but I feel thats only because I'm EXPECTING a game to be reviewed and it throws me when its not. That said no complaints here great video!

Also... "Indiana Jones in a fridge award"?? :p

panagram

Oct 19, 2008
ColdStorage said:
severonic said:

P.S.

and by most gamers, you mean your friends list?.
Lol well put. I was wondering the same thing actually

soulasylum85

Dec 26, 2008
at least the awards were slightly more entertaining than that ridiculous year in review bullshit. theres lots of top shelf games he didnt review yet.......

Nick_Bball

Dec 17, 2008
I don't understand. Has Little Big Planet not come out it Australia?! Also, I want to apoligize on behalf of Hideo Kojima if Metal Gear Solid 4 was too complicated for Ben to understand. That game was a masterpiece and no, I'm not a MGS fanboy. MGS4 happens to be the first one I've ever played.

tsaweeos

Nov 5, 2008
Awesome video.
I found this to be highly entertaining!
I hope to see what your "game of the year" for 2009 is :p (If you do this again.)
Although the Black Mesa: Source mod will be better then any game that comes out this year. ;)

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
Heh, not only was it not an actual review, but it seemed to be a simple rampaging rant. (I get enough of that from Foamy,) I honestly hope he doesn't stick with going down this little path, but it's his slot so I suppose he can do whatever he wants.

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
I liked the award giving this week, it rounds of the year very well. I don't understand people complaining about the video 2 weeks ago. You can hardly expect him to release a new video on Christmas Eve.

Anyway I liked this video, look forward to next weeks.

dungeonmaster

Apr 30, 2008
give me a call yahzee, Im in canada...
I assume canada aint so bad....
I was first in the 778 area code so I got my own number...
its XXX-XXX-XXXX
you can call me...
come over Ill treat you to nice organic pizza and we can hang each other and celebrate the end of the world

p.s. 9455 spells will

GodOfTongs

Jan 7, 2009
I've never really understood how everyone can go along with this. Ok, Yahtzee is just as funny as ever, but both GTA4 and MGS4 are great games.

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

His videos are great but how can you take his opinion seriously. He disagrees with absolutely everyone. His nomination for worst game of the year got almost strait 10's down the line. Ridiculous.

DanTheBigMan

Oct 18, 2008
Surprising, yet not, all in the same tidy, little package.
Yes, survival horror deserves the worst genre of the year, thanks for abandoning true horror for startling shitasticness.
Saint's Row 2? Really?
Well, GTA was fun back in the day, and I suppose that, if nothing else, it is trying to live up to the fun that GTA used to be.
Personally? I'm waiting for Yahtzee to take a look at a particular brand of JRPG that he mentioned back in the SR2 review...
I wonder if Yahtzee really does like Pokemon...

And was that an official "Welcome to The Escapist" endorsement for Unskippable?
I like the series, and I hope it gets the attention it deserves. :D

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
GodOfTongs said:
I've never really understood how everyone can go along with this. Ok, Yahtzee is just as funny as ever, but both GTA4 and MGS4 are great games.

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

His videos are great but how can you take his opinion seriously. He disagrees with absolutely everyone. His nomination for worst game of the year got almost strait 10's down the line. Ridiculous.
Meh, MGS 4 is a movie you occasionally get to join in with - a 50+ hour movie with way too much dialog.

As for GTA4, as much as I like it, its not that great a game. Reading the reviews in PC Gamer, you'd think it was the gaming version of a cure for cancer. Ok, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't perfect enough to be worthy of 10/10. The 7-9 range would have been more accurate, depending on gamer's tastes.

tsaweeos

Nov 5, 2008
GodOfTongs said:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

OH MY GOD IGN AND GAMESPOT GAVE A GAME 10/10 THIS GAME MUST BE AMAZING!!! I'M GOING TO BUY IT RIGHT NOW!

seriously man... It's called an opinion. Every person has one. Just because others think a game is amazing doesn't mean you have to think the same.

Personally, I hate sandbox games like gta4.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Yahtzee said:
The Indiana Jones in a Fridge Award for franchise murder
Yes yes yes! Made me laugh. The whole year was nothing but sequels that show western gaming is stagnating under corporate control and I hope that the current Russian developing revolution wakes the CEOs up from their thought process of "NO ORIGINAL OR ABSURD STUFF! MAKE ANOTHER SEQUEL AND DUMB IT DOWN SO IT'S ACCESSABLE.. THATS WHERE THE MONEY IS! IF IT SUCKS WE'LL BLAME PIRACY FOR BAD SALES."

Kimosaber

Nov 2, 2008
It was pretty okay, although I noticed the theme song being pitched lower. It didn't make me laugh as much as normal ZP episodes do, but it still got a chuckle out of me. :)

hippykiller

Dec 28, 2008
my crazy best friend is thinking about starting a new religen about ZP what do you think?

fallen1

Dec 22, 2008
GodOfTongs said:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

It is his opinion and I don't think you can really fault him for not liking the games. I also agree with that giving a game a number to determine how good it is doesn't make it great. I played Halo 3 the night it came out and I didn't like it at all. I thought that the story line was boring and that the multiplayers was so-so at best. GTA4 is only a mediocre game at best in my mind because of the fact that they took out my favortie thing and that was the cops chasing me everywhere I went. In GTA4 you can just drive fast and they give up. MGS also use to be one of my favorite series up until 3 and then 4 further showed me that I didn't like it anymore. Games that get 10 ratings doesn't mean they are amazing, maybe the graphics are good and all and the fans love it, but not everyone will.
You also need to take into account who rated the game and what their opinions are.

DA GOD A CRUNK

Dec 3, 2008
i didnt agree with the gta 4 award i thought that it was pretty damn good and well the vgas apparently did to , but anyway saints row 2 is good but not better or worse than gta4

anti_strunt

Aug 26, 2008
Also, Unskippable wasn't really that funny.

Fortunately it did not live up to its name.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Virgil said:
Lt. Sera said:
It looks like the CDN that Castfire is using to host the videos is having DNS resolution problems in the UK, Ireland, and a few other northern European areas. We're letting them know about it now and hopefully it'll be fixed very soon.

In the meantime, you might want to see if OpenDNS [https://www.opendns.com/smb/start/computer/] (or something similar) will fix the problem for you.
It seems to be working quite nicely now, though thanks for the suggestion about opendns, I'll keep that one in mind should it happen again.

Ormick

Jan 7, 2009
I was thinking to myself "Where's Portal?" Until I remembered that that was released in 2007. Liked it.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
GodOfTongs said:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

Oh wow, ya lets obey the mighty game sights that will throw perfect scores at games owned by large companies who hype them up and pay them sums of money to give them good reviews. GTA IV was shit. I played it and I stopped after beating the game very disappointed. The weapons are limited, only upgrading the previous weapon you had.

I could actually agree with Yathzee. I had a barrel of fun with SR2 and I could play as much as I want having fun. The game was a true sandbox game. GTA IV tried incorperating too much drama and shit in a game where your suppose to have fun.

However the best game I thought was Fallout 3. Sanbox environment, good story, fun action, good characters. Gears 2 was fun but the story line was complete shit. The characters were shit. I wanted to punch Dom whenever he muttered the word "wife." I would actually consider SR2 up there in the top 5 games way ahead of GTA IV.

SuckItNC

Jan 7, 2009
Haha, nice one Yahtzee.

However, in the ones you haven't reviewed you could add 'Call of Duty: World At War.'

I can think alot of that game that you could poke fun :D

Btw, I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job :p

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
The FlowPLayer seemed to change but my problem remains. The video will never load if I use Firefox 3, yet if I open the page in IE7 the video loads perfectly and without a hitch. I just don't understand what is going on, specially since somehow here has the same problem, only the complete opposite. IE7 doesn't work, Firefox does.

I take a pause at Tomb Raider Underworld. I know it's a sequel with a huge number on its side, but I actually found it much more engrossing and interesting than Legend and Anniversary. Sure, it's not doing anything truly original, but it finally did what CD sent out with the other games correctly. I know however that Yahtzee would tear it to pieces and hate it, but I really liked the game.

Sisyphus0

Sep 10, 2008
While I respect your opinion, and almost fully disagree with it, I can't understand how you gave saint's row 2 credit for anything. I also don't understand why you constantly bash games for attempting gritty realism. I hate colourful cheery games with rainbows and happy endings. It's bad enough that almost every movie is ruined with a happy ending, games shouldn't have to suffer such cheap fairytale endings either.

ikari_matt

Aug 19, 2008
i miss when he was riping other peoples music in his reviews xD yet i liked the sarcastic award show ;)

Eggplant

Nov 11, 2008
Sisyphus0 said:
While I respect your opinion, and almost fully disagree with it, I can't understand how you gave saint's row 2 credit for anything. I also don't understand why you constantly bash games for attempting gritty realism. I hate colourful cheery games with rainbows and happy endings. It's bad enough that almost every movie is ruined with a happy ending, games shouldn't have to suffer such cheap fairytale endings either.

You sound emo.

In other news I am glad MGS4 won that award. It really deserved it.
congrats Hideo Kojima for destroying a wonderful series, and making me go out a buy a ps3 so i could see it.

Proto Cloud

Jun 25, 2008
GodOfTongs said:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

But it is an opinion nonetheless...I know some news outlets that absolutely hate Fallout 3, GTA IV, MGS4, LBP, and all the big darlings. I know I absolutely hate GTAIV and GOW1, regardless of the accolades they've been given.

Different strokes for different folks is the moral of the story. (For a good example look up Rotten Tomatoes and see the 5% of the people that didn't like The Dark Knight)

photoboy

Jan 8, 2009
At last! A Game of the Year award that isn't GTAIV! And even better than that, the far more fun and deserving Saint's Row 2 is the game that won it! I'm actually on my second run through of SR2 at the moment and spraying people's houses with shit is still great fun. Great work Yahtzee!

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
GodOfTongs said:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

Because reviewers can be paid to give good reviews.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
If anything fucked up "Stealth" - it was Assassin's Creed, not MGS4, but then again, I thought this was funny so who gives a shit?

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
First = Ban

Seeing the first few posts get a ban never get old for me, just like watching ZP reviews, thats right it was an award, still said review though.

alf1985

Oct 7, 2008
They should pay this dude alot more than they do. And I don't even know how much they pay. He is just that damn funny.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
HOORAY YATZHEE. I heard 'awards of 2008' and was not expecting it to be 'bashing' games instead of praising them...I should've known better

it's much more entertaining this way =D

mathias53

Mar 25, 2008
CrafterMan said:
mathias53 said:
Because Yahtzee owes you anything? You pay copious amounts of money to see him every week?

Fanboys grr
wait how does my comment make me a fanboy?

mitman93

Jan 8, 2009
Please excuse me for this noobish question (I'm a noob to these forums) but why did the first two posts get banned? I read the sticky but still could not find one thing wrong with both of the posts. Can someone please answer me so I do not make the same error. Thanks! (Please don't ban me for this!)

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Nov 17, 2020
mitman93 said:
Please excuse me for this noobish question (I'm a noob to these forums) but why did the first two posts get banned? I read the sticky but still could not find one thing wrong with both of the posts. Can someone please answer me so I do not make the same error. Thanks! (Please don't ban me for this!)
We ban for "first posting" here, even if you don't say "first post". Watch the video or read the article before posting a comment and you've got nothing to worry about.

mitman93

Jan 8, 2009
Virgil said:
mitman93 said:
We ban for "first posting" here, even if you don't say "first post". Watch the video or read the article before posting a comment and you've got nothing to worry about.
Ahhh I see. Thanks, that cleared things up for me. How exactly do you know if the person watched the video or read the article?

Th3 Sh00ter

Jan 8, 2009
Nice Review but I didnt see CoD 5 on the list of games to possibly review in the future. Didnt he actuly LIKE CoD 4?

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
mitman93 said:
Virgil said:
mitman93 said:
Ahhh I see. Thanks, that cleared things up for me. How exactly do you know if the person watched the video or read the article?
I suppose there's some super-high-tech way to tell from their end, but it's fairly straightforward even without it; they'd commented 1 and 2 minutes after the link was posted, and the video is ~6 minutes long. Can't park a Caddy in a kiddy pool, and can't watch a movie and comment on it in less time that it takes to play out the movie.

-- Steve

AyaReiko

Aug 9, 2008
I would've given the 15YOLS (a.k.a. Disappointment of the Year) Award to Spore instead. And I wasn't one of those who was being hyped up through the years by various presentations and what-not. I was solely hyped up by the Creature Creator and that it was Maxis on the label.

I really should've heeded the warning that EA was also on the label too. But even by that standard, the game really did disappoint.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
This man is my idol, his visual puns and comic delivery are perfect. I think what i just said is how cults are formed : ) (Yahtzee quote from the L4D review haha)

mitman93

Jan 8, 2009
I suppose there's some super-high-tech way to tell from their end, but it's fairly straightforward even without it; they'd commented 1 and 2 minutes after the link was posted, and the video is ~6 minutes long. Can't park a Caddy in a kiddy pool, and can't watch a movie and comment on it in less time that it takes to play out the movie.

-- Steve
Yeah I never thought of that lol. Ok, I get it all now. Thanks guys!

fveew

Jan 8, 2009
Oh.. And Mirrors Edge isnt from EA, it´s from DICE.
EA is just the publishers.
Get your facts straight you poor little twat...

dogs_playing_poker

Jan 8, 2009
OH so that is why there isent a gears of war yet. I was wondering if he couldnt find something to ***** about with it. Hehehe I have been waiting for that one for so long. Also sorta curious if he us gunna do the newish banjoo kazooie game. Good ep. for what it was wish it was a review but hey everone need time for the holidays.

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
My one loaded about 2 minutes then gave up. My Internets working fine but I then tried to refresh it and it never got past the click to play screen. Any ideas what the problem is?

edit: nevermind apparently restarting my comp fixed the problem

Dustiness

May 12, 2008
On the topic of Mirror's Edge and in fact all EA games, long has it been since I bought a game without checking for EA logos. If I see one I just avoid the game like it had 'For ages three and up' written down the side, because you are pretty much always guaranteed dissatisfaction as everything is dumbed down for the simpler, emptier audience EA proffers to.

P.S.

fveew said:
Wikipedia said:
EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment AB (EA DICE) is a Swedish video game developer, wholly owned by Electronic Arts...

MiyaKome

Dec 31, 2008
ColdStorage said:
Sure he does.

He faps to the praise and ejaculates at the disagreements.

Optimus24

Jan 8, 2009
I love it how youre saying GTA4 is a bad game. I myself didnt catch that fully untill I played Saints Row 2. I was playing GTA4 as any earlier GTA game and thought to myself that I was grown too old for that GTA kind of humor, I wasnt laughing when I drove over people, the radio stations werent that funny, and I didnt find much joy in becoming a crime boss.. then I played Saints Row 2 and it hit me like a ton of bricks.. GTA4 sucks as a GTA4 game, Saints Row 2 became the game I was expecting GTA4 to be. I love your brutal honesty Mr. Yahtzee, and would love to see what other game sites would say about GTA4 if they would take a second knock at it.

Optimus24

Jan 8, 2009
fveew said:

When you go to the official DICE homepage it says in the upper left corner: An EA company... now who´s the poor little twat?

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Optimus24 said:
fveew said:

When you go to the official DICE homepage it says in the upper left corner: An EA company... now who´s the poor little twat?
PWNED

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
GodOfTongs said:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

to cite gaming websites on here is blasphemy, just to let you know you are probably asking for it.

I'm just going to say that basically he liked one game last year? is he serious?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Glad someone's giving credit to Saints Row 2.
I'm also thankful he didn't make No More Heroes more overrated than it already is.

acebrainbuster

Oct 13, 2008
again nostalgia, but with actual rankings i'm not surprised about the outcmes of this but never the less its good to see what games deserve

Erdie

Jan 8, 2009
That feeling you got at the end of Prince of Persia was exactly what you were supposed to feel. I loved it, and I loved both the characters. Cannot wait for the next entry.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Well, I never thought I'll ever say this at a ZP video, but...

...this was a total waste of time. Durr.

First a clipshow, a lackluster PoP review, and now this? Jahtzee, at least make it look like you are trying, man. I really hope the rest of the 2009 videos will be at least as enjoyable as the others were in 2008 and 2007. A long vacation perhaps?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I don't know about this one. Even if you disagree with Yahtzee's review, he still brings up some good points about game design and points out the flaws in the games. And its exhilirating to play a sh*t game like mirror's edge then listen to Yahtzee tear it up.

But really, it just seemed as if he was just trying to stir up some controversy for his mailbox with this one, by purposely choosing games which were rated atleast 9 or over. You would expect to see actual bad games in his awards, but it just seemed like Yahtzee chose games people actually liked to look funny.....not including sonic.

(then again, Mirror's edge reportedly got a 9/10 prerelease, and oh what a load of crap that was....)

As for L4D being a horror game. Well in the end its just zombies, the important thing is the action shooting, the zombie thing was just a context for the game designers, so the main theme of that game was really team play.

Epictank of Wintown

Jan 8, 2009
Okay, seriously, you people want to know what Yahtzee hasn't reviewed Call of Duty 5? I'll tell you why.

It's exactly the same as Call of Duty 4. That's why. Treyarch were too scared to try something new with the series because they knew fans would ***** (and fans bitched anyway), so nothing has changed. At all.

At any rate, I don't mind Yahtzee doing things like this. You really expect one man to give you one review each and every week? For free? Wow, seriously. X-Play only does two or three reviews a week, and they have a full staff working for them. You get a half a dozen or a dozen reviews from gaming magazines a month, and THEY have a full staff working for THEM, too. So quit bitching and enjoy the fun. Plus, I love the theme music.

Now! As for the video itself. It wasn't really laugh worthy, but I chuckled a few times and grinned all the way through it. The only game I can really comment on is Saints Row 2, which is just as fun and entertaining as Yahtzee says it is. Anyone who hasn't played it definitely should.

Looking forward to next week, Yahtzee.

intergral

Dec 18, 2008
Meh. 2008 was shit as far as creativity in gaming goes. (Although, I am enjoying the crap out of Fallout 3) What can be said? The gaming industry has turned into the snot nosed, bastard child of the movie industry and is now cranking out crap meant for a 'broader' audience.

Here's hoping 2009 is at least marginally better!

Rolling 20

Jan 1, 2009
Dabamash said:
I do kind of agree with that, especially after promising to review some of the one's he missed for this year (i.e. Gears of War 2, which i'm surprised he didn't review despite how much he appears to hate the series). None-the-less, I greatly enjoyed this review. Especially his parting shot with Tomb Raider.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
intergral said:
Meh. 2008 was shit as far as creativity in gaming goes. (Although, I am enjoying the crap out of Fallout 3) What can be said? The gaming industry has turned into the snot nosed, bastard child of the movie industry and is now cranking out crap meant for a 'broader' audience.
I don't know about that. If you only look at the pool of AAA titles, sure, but there were also a lot of games like Megaman 9, World of Goo, Braid and Trials 2 released that are were pretty much aimed squarely at the long time gamers. They just weren't the big budget games with huge advertisement budget.

I admit I actually had more fun with smaller budget titles (the ones listed above) than I did with games like GTAIV, but that's really just me.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
Fun, but I was rather hoping to see Yahtzee take on LPB. Especially as it is one of those games that is getting mountains of praise and adulation.

Admittedly, it DESERVES all the praise and adulation, but that never stopped him reviewing Call of Duty 4.

Lightnr

Jan 8, 2009
thermo1 said:
EA will probably make itself a trophy!
Hey heyyyy we shouldn't desire the demise of one of the most prominent game publishers that has published plenty of great games. With out EA the gaming industry would just be Activision/Blizzard and a bunch of garage made unpolished game studios.

Some great EA games I can think of (that yahtzee should review): Crysis: Warhead, Mass Effect, Red Alert 3, Fifa 09.

Or3dinator

Dec 25, 2008
A few points on this episode, some mentioned already:

1) Disappointment for it not being an actual review, still quite enjoyable I guess
2) All in all awards were fair and point made valid, however
3) I think I speak for a lot of ppl when I say that the theme zp music is too damn frustrating unless killing stuff is your thing!

Shouldnt all request for Yahtzee to go back to using appropriate tunes depending on the game he reviews/topic?

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
I really disagree with Yahtzee on Mirrors Edge. Of course it has some quite major flaws in the level design, and controls but I don't think it was of poor quality. It was a refreshing title that managed FPS platforming amazingly well and had some great set pieces.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
commodoryhori said:
I prefer Gta4, i enjoy Saints row 2 alot, Yahtzees only reviews i really trust.
I take Yahtzee's reviews with a barrel full of salt. They're generally too sort and don't cover many of the aspects of the game for me to take them seriously. I enjoy him ripping on games but I'm often not in agreement with him over the criticisms.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
beddo said:
I really disagree with Yahtzee on Mirrors Edge. Of course it has some quite major flaws in the level design, and controls but I don't think it was of poor quality. It was a refreshing title that managed FPS platforming amazingly well and had some great set pieces.
Same here. I have strong objections to some of the level design[sup]*[/sup], and the story was on the trite side, but Mirror's Edge was a lot of fun even in the frustrating bits and it captured the same feeling of motion that Crackdown did. Heck, the game even encourages speed runs making it that little bit more replayable...

I respect Yahtzee as an entertainer, but he's looking at games in a completely different manner than I do and if I went by his reviews I'd have missed a LOT of games that I enjoyed greatly.

-- Steve

[sup]*[/sup]Much the same objections as I had with Psychonaut's "Meat Circus" level, come to think of it, and I enjoyed both. Whereas Ben only liked one...

Optimus24

Jan 8, 2009
GodOfTongs said:

If you take a look on online forums you`ll see that alot of people think the scores of GTA4 are bought. Me personally couldnt agree more, I think alot of sites didnt play it thouruly enought to rate it. GTA4 is a beautifull game, but when you consider how they guttet the GTA franchise compared to the GTA3 series in gameplay elements no one can seriously give it a close to perfect score, this is a sequel. Even Yahtzee admits it in this review, he kinda liked the game when it was released. Its a beautiful and cinematic game, but they took away most of the fun parts about it. I would understand if they cut down a little to give room for the improved graphics and more lively city streets, but they compleatly guttet it. Saints Row 2 became what GTA4 was supposed to be for me, short and simple:_FUN_! Not as big as GTA:SA but just as fun! What Im missing, but Im forgiving Saints Row 2 for at the moment is bigger and more varied landscape like in GTA:SA. Everything Saints Row 2 gets beaten down for are just the same things the entire GTA3 series got beaten down for: Bad graphics, sloppy camera, bad driving physics and so on. As with the GTA3 series, if this was forgiven you got an amazingly entertaining sandbox game!

I disagree with some of Yahtzee`s reviews, but it all boils down to personal preference. I understand his (and tons of other peoples) dislike of MGS4, even though I personally hold it as one of my own last years GOTY candidates.

fallen1

Dec 22, 2008
Lightnr said:
thermo1 said:
EA will probably make itself a trophy!
Hey heyyyy we shouldn't desire the demise of one of the most prominent game publishers that has published plenty of great games. With out EA the gaming industry would just be Activision/Blizzard and a bunch of garage made unpolished game studios.

Some great EA games I can think of (that yahtzee should review): Crysis: Warhead, Mass Effect, Red Alert 3, Fifa 09.
Yahtzee has already reviewed one of the games you said, but he did review Crysis

Crysis
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/21-Crysis

Mass Effect
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/18-Mass-Effect

As for Fifa 09, Yathzee has not reviewed a single sports game yet and I don't think he will anytime soon. Reviewing sports games for him would probably be boring and I really don't think you will get many laughs from it. There just is not enough variety from any of the sports games to be able to get a good review from them. Take ball and score points, that's all. I know you could argue that some games are the same that he does, but every year a new Fifa, Madden, or NCAA gets released w/like one new thing and nothing much has changed. He sticks mainly to RPG's, FPS's, and big name titles that come out. I can say that at first I thought maybe Yahtzee just didn't like EA and that's why he rags on them, but I have played Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect by them and I now see why he doesn't like most of their games.

fallen1

Dec 22, 2008
Optimus24 said:
GodOfTongs said:

If you take a look on online forums you`ll see that alot of people think the scores of GTA4 are bought. Me personally couldnt agree more, I think alot of sites didnt play it thouruly enought to rate it. GTA4 is a beautifull game, but when you consider how they guttet the GTA franchise compared to the GTA3 series in gameplay elements no one can seriously give it a close to perfect score, this is a sequel. Even Yahtzee admits it in this review, he kinda liked the game when it was released. Its a beautiful and cinematic game, but they took away most of the fun parts about it. I would understand if they cut down a little to give room for the improved graphics and more lively city streets, but they compleatly guttet it. Saints Row 2 became what GTA4 was supposed to be for me, short and simple:_FUN_! Not as big as GTA:SA but just as fun! What Im missing, but Im forgiving Saints Row 2 for at the moment is bigger and more varied landscape like in GTA:SA. Everything Saints Row 2 gets beaten down for are just the same things the entire GTA3 series got beaten down for: Bad graphics, sloppy camera, bad driving physics and so on. As with the GTA3 series, if this was forgiven you got an amazingly entertaining sandbox game!

I disagree with some of Yahtzee`s reviews, but it all boils down to personal preference. I understand his (and tons of other peoples) dislike of MGS4, even though I personally hold it as one of my own last years GOTY candidates.
I will have to say that earlier in this thread that this is what I said for the most part and Ihave to agree 100%. I think that people have to realize that these videos are Yathzee's personal preference and that he is just one person. The fact that he is able to produce a new video every week is awesome when there are other companys with more people and they release something new every week or maybe twice in one week. Breaking up the usual with something different is kinda cool and if you like the reviews more, then this will make you enjoy them more.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
for example, I never really understood how anyone could ever FINISH (not play), but FINISH a GTA game. I remember playing GTA San Andreas, being really impressed, but being horrendously wtf about how to have the patience to stomach down the entire game (recall driving across an entire countryside to do ONE mission) <--repeat this cycle ever so often

GTA IV seemed much of the same. I mean, my brother (who loves both GTA games) has never finished either. I mean, does anyone EVER finish GTA games. I think that alone is a major flaw in entertainment value (not to mention the checkpoints make you drive forever to RESTART a failed mission, which are sometimes incredibly difficult; NO ONE wants to drive 1000 years in this manner. Cut the realism, and make instant checkpoints!)

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
antipunt said:
for example, I never really understood how anyone could ever FINISH (not play), but FINISH a GTA game. I remember playing GTA San Andreas, being really impressed, but being horrendously wtf about how to have the patience to stomach down the entire game (recall driving across an entire countryside to do ONE mission) <--repeat this cycle ever so often

GTA IV seemed much of the same. I mean, my brother (who loves both GTA games) has never finished either. I mean, does anyone EVER finish GTA games. I think that alone is a major flaw in entertainment value (not to mention the checkpoints make you drive forever to RESTART a failed mission, which are sometimes incredibly difficult; NO ONE wants to drive 1000 years in this manner. Cut the realism, and make instant checkpoints!)
I only finish GTA games once (except IV which I don't want to play) and then I just fly around and jump out of helicopters and stuff. You know the fun stuff. Maybe I start another savefile but I never finish the main missions.