Zero Punctuation: Bastion and From Dust

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
KoalaKid said:
Yopaz said:
vivalahelvig said:
That was unexpected for him to critique 2 xbla games.
It was still good though.
He did that about a year ago too. Limbo and Deathspank. This is just a drought period for big titles.

sboss said:
i was hoping for a catherine review. glad you liked bastion though.
How come no-one living in USA seem to grasp the concept that not all of the world is able to play a game once it's been released in USA? USA uses NTSC, Europe and Australia (the place where Yahtzee is right now) use mostly PAL and huge chunks of Africa and Asia uses SECAM.
Translated into simple terms. When a game is released in USA it is released in NTSC. Yahtzee a PAL user have to wait for the PAL release (more importantly the Australian release) before he can play it. If you are hoping for a review for a game that has not been released, and there's currently no plans to release then you do in other words hope he will review a game without playing it.

Great reviews. It wasn't that much of a surprise that he'd like From Dust, I myself think it's pretty good, but I haven't had the time to play Bastion yet, I guess I'll have to check it out. I do agree on the points about the NPC being really retarded when it comes to moving though. Just a drop of water there and they'll shout for help.
How come there are so many people living outside of the US that speak in sweeping generalizations?
It's not generalizing, it's exaggerating. I also didn't say no-one grasps the concept, I said no-one seems to grasp the concept. Also at the point I was quoting 1 in 6 (actual numbers and that is excluding all posts stating Catherine isn't out) posts mentioned catherine. Of those who posted and did not mention Catherine most were not from USA or haven't entered the country where they reside. So yeah, doing the statistics from page 1 70% (that's a low estimate) of the Americans that posted for me are unaware that Catherine has not been released in PAL regions.
Now I am perfectly aware of that there are smarter individuals, but when it comes to games and releases it always seems like at least most need to be reminded that US release does not mean international release, except for when a game is released in Europe or Australia first. In that case I must say I am ashamed to admit that we don't make the assumption that it's out in USA, but gloat about how we got it first until the day they receive it in USA since that is a rare thing.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Well that's convinient! I've always wanted a game where I could throw elements around like big balls!

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Experimental said:
Sebastian sounds like a good game, haven't seen it on PSN, so it might be an exclusive title. From Dust sounds fun, but I already have Tropico to make little ants suffer whenever I got a bad day at my workplace.
Both Bastion and From Dust are for 360 and PC. The PC versions are on Steam and I assume GFWL.

Jan 27, 2011
At first, I was angry at Bastion, since I thought it was XBLA exclusive.

...And then I saw it on Steam. And then my day was made. Adding a positive review from YATZEE of all people to the other great reviews has gotten me to pre-buy it. :D

And I too think that terrain forming up under your feet as you walk onto it is freakin sweet.

Breno

Jul 4, 2008
these are the exact two games i wanted him to review...well insanly twisted shadow planet too but i cant have everthing.

i would of taught he'd say bastion was averge and from dust to be under-par but no seemed to like both of them with is insanly high standerts

Uncle_Brainhorn

Dec 18, 2009
I know you have some kind of "insult the Americans" quota to fill, but you could at least try to make it funny.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
had some interest when i saw from dust on steam. maybe i might get it one day. reminds me also about populus. a really old game i used to play way back in the 90s. it was still on a floppy disc, lol.
bastian, no interest. not my kind of game.

TraceurRyuk

Jul 25, 2010
As said before me. Getting a little tired of all the anti-American jokes. I know that's his whole gimmick. But at least make fun of other countries as well. If someone is racist you'll be shunned and then shoved in a coffin of nails, if you're prejudiced against another country it's suddenly fine.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
"...that's Out of This World if your country's dumb..."

Guys, I think it's just that Yahtzee will never forgive the U.S. covers for the Genesis and (especially) SNES versions of Out of This World (Another World). He brings up those abominations in this article.

Also, LAVA-SPEWING PENIS. That is all.

And how is controlling dirt worse than controlling fish? Nothing, but NOTHING could possibly be worse than the powers of Aquaman, right?

rickicker

Oct 26, 2010
You know, at times like these, I really hate you XBox360 owners for getting awesome things from the XBLA first. Bastion looked like an awesome game, and I firmly believe that even more when Yahtzee has very little bad things to say about it. Always a great rule of thumb, that.

But then again, maybe Yahtzee is still feeling guilty about letting that unknown boy to suffer fates unknown in his review for "A Shadow's Tale", so he decided not to tempt karma this time around. Who knew big bad Yahtzee had a soul after all? XD

bluefire4000

Mar 25, 2011
I got Bastion shortly after it came out and played through it twice and got all the achievements so I was more then satisfied with it. On a side note I don't see what Yahtzee was saying about the perspective being messy. I thought the game looked great and had no problems with the perspective. That's just me though. From Dust I was interested in until the reviews came out about the AI being retarded and the controls being iffy. If that's your bag more power to you but I've got other things to play.

Stir72

Jul 14, 2010
What's with the friggin' ad at the bottom of the screen that you can't get rid of? No "close" or "x"...just a big rectangle blocking the bottom bit of the review!?!

SmileyBat

Jun 14, 2010
That was one of the most complimentary reviews you've ever given. I'm sure the maker of Bastion is stoked.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
ive already been playing from dust and i may pick up bastion when i finish that last volcano level, spoiler alert.

btw, a double positive review, is Nega Yahtzee doing the reviews now or something?

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
mechashiva77 said:
Perhaps I'm being too sensitive here, but does anyone notice that he is insulting America in all of his reviews to the point that it's basically becoming a running gag? I mean, I can take a joke and realize our shortcomings and failures, but it's getting a bit out of hand here. It's like he'll take any excuse he can to call America stupid, overly militaristic, or any other blanket insult he can come up with. "America changed the cover and title of a game, therefore they are stupid." Big whoop. I don't see how that has to do with the subject at hand, or will have any impact on the gameplay and story. Maybe I'm looking too into things and that's supposedly some inside joke that my "stupid American brain" isn't getting or missing his insults directed to other countries, but honestly I'm having a hard time believing it. If someone can let me know if I've overlooked something please tell me, because I do like Zero Punctuation very much even when it takes the piss out of games I enjoy.

That being said, good review nonetheless.
It's probably because the stereotypical American is fat, arrogant and an idiot. (not saying you are of course) and they choose to change english words for no good reason, simply due to their apparent silly requirement to be *different* from the country that made them. Just sayin' :)

OT: No bans? Yhatzee has taught the firsters to back the #%$^ up then.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
I've been following Bastion since the start thanks to Giantbomb giving video updates of the builds every 3 months, so I'll definitely pick it up because Greg Kasavin is a cool guy and nice to hear the story works out really well.

From Dust, I LOVED the demo and so did my family when I showed it to them, BUT I'd rather get the PC Steam release because of the camera being too slow for a controller.