Zero Punctuation: Batman Arkham Asylum

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
gcar said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
gcar said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
gcar said:
You're probably going to get suspended for that, by the way. Just a heads-up.
Thanks for that. Just expressing excitement. Probably should have watched it first. My own dumb fault got me hit with a probation notice.

Very easy to learn the hard way.

g
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic...are you?
No no no,

no sarcasm, just me being dumb.

sorry.
Oh yeah, I can see what you mean in that post now. Very mature of you to admit to your shortcomings :) Don't worry about it, I dived straight into posting on this site without even glancing over the rules.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
This was a sad trade in for me. I liked it, enjoyed my time with it, and completed everything but inevitably it had no lasting appeal for me.

Kal El

Jan 1, 2010
Foggy_Fishburne said:
Heh it feels like I'm the only one who loves Batman and plays games because of HIM and saw the Batman movies because of HIM. The villians are fantastic too:D But it's Batman I mean come on!
Nope, you're definitely not the only one :)

Anyway, I bought the game a few days ago and finished it earlier today. Excellent game though I agree that the boss fights were underwhelming.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Kal El said:
Foggy_Fishburne said:
Heh it feels like I'm the only one who loves Batman and plays games because of HIM and saw the Batman movies because of HIM. The villians are fantastic too:D But it's Batman I mean come on![/quote

Nope, you're definitely not the only one :)

Anyway, I bought the game a few days ago and finished it earlier today. Excellent game though I agree that the boss fights were underwhelming.
FANBOY ALERT

That was the main reason I hated all the 90's Batman movies.

Yes they were the epitome of Hollywood excess. Yes they were badly written toy commercials that never captured the essence of the characters and were full of atrocious lines such as "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" and "Vhut keeled da dINOsaurs? DA ICE AGEEE!" Yes Batman killed people, the Joker died and there were nipples on the Batsuit.

But the most important thing was that when I walk into a Batman movie, I EXPECT IT TO BE ABOUT BATMAN! It's not called Joker, or Catwoman and Penguin, or Joker with a coin and Jim Carrey. I want to see Batman being Batman instead of playing a secondary character to the villain of the week.

When I walked into the theater for Batman Begins I thought I was never going to see a faithful or capable Batman on screen besides Mask of the Phantasm. I came out of the theater as if I had just witnessed a miracle.

Kal El

Jan 1, 2010
The Youth Counselor said:
When I walked into the theater for Batman Begins I thought I was never going to see a faithful or capable Batman on screen besides Mask of the Phantasm. I came out of the theater as if I had just witnessed a miracle.
Same here. I love Batman Begins. A Batman movie that finally delved into the journey of Bruce Wayne becoming Batman.

My1stLuvJak

Jan 28, 2010
"How do they signal Batman during the day?"

What a silly question! Everyone knows that crimes are only committed at night.

(or, if The Dark Knight has any say, fewer crimes happen during the night with Batman on the scene, so they need to get his attention when something's going down! Batman does have a day job, you know...that's what the cops are for)

Donttazemehbro

Nov 24, 2009
andsoitgoes said:
Fantastic, exactly, exactly, EXACTLY what I felt in this game. One of the first reviews where I had little difference in opinion. Fabu.

And who the hell was the guy's head who popped down when he said "Things to grapple on". I've never figured that out.
He could have made these coments for 50% of his reviews. This game was amazing, there were so few things wrong with it that he had to find the smallest thing that most people didnt care about.

Hidden_Agenda

Jul 3, 2010
I hated having to use "detective mode" to see what I could grapple. It should be common sense on what could and couldn't be used in collaboration with a grappling hook. Speaking of which, the modification you acquire later to grapple onto people and grates. WTF was that about? As if a grappling hook couldn't do that already!

It's as if they thought, "well, we can't let them have that right now, because then they could explore the areas earlier and wouldn't have to back-track just for trophies and recordings, or solving those bloody riddles for the 208th f**king time. Not to mention annoying taunts from those you're dispatching, those who claim to be helping you as you solve HIS riddles, or those who are ordering those you're dispatching to attack you.

Anyone else play this to get an HD look at Harley Quinn and/or poison Ivy?

It's not as if you're addicted to repetitive game-play just for a look at which bat-man costume they're using this year and oh, my it has 1 bloody tear in it. The hell was that about? 1 tear and no blood or vulnerability from it.

Well, at least no Schwarzenegger/Mr. Freeze cameo..... It's easier to "chill" with out that annoyance. For those who haven't seen the 80's and 90's Batman movies, consider yourselves the lucky few. The horror we've witnessed!

garMov

Dec 11, 2010
They shoot a giant space ship the form of a bat to partially eclipse the sun.SATISFIED?!

Matt Sivyer

Dec 22, 2010
Now this one I love.

'The Fucking Start Button' bit actually made me cry with laughter. :') Good Job :D

TheFPSisDead

Jan 3, 2011
I'm surprised I'm the only one who complains about the combat but it honestly felt like a series of glorified quick time events. For instance, mash the two combat buttons until one of the baddies has a magical "i'm about to blind side you" notification blinking over his head, then push the appropriate counter button, repeat. Am I the only person who thought that kind of combat was a bit shallow?

Squaseghost

Jan 25, 2010
TheFPSisDead said:
I'm surprised I'm the only one who complains about the combat but it honestly felt like a series of glorified quick time events. For instance, mash the two combat buttons until one of the baddies has a magical "i'm about to blind side you" notification blinking over his head, then push the appropriate counter button, repeat. Am I the only person who thought that kind of combat was a bit shallow?
I recommend you play it on hard, you have to watch the movements of each enemy on screen. It's DEFINITELY more challenging

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Squaseghost said:
TheFPSisDead said:
I recommend you play it on hard, you have to watch themovements of each enemy on screen. It's DEFINITELY more challenging
That's for sure.

My major complaint, aside from the silly over-sexualization of Harley Quinn, is the slow response of the controls.

Punches, kicks and dodges that come around a precious fraction of a second too late are too common in this game, at least in the pc version. Also, the fact that you cannot cancel a knockdown move, specially one of those big thugs are charging towards you. Really stupid design.