Zero Punctuation: Batman: Arkham Knight - Being Rich Is a Super Power

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Batman: Arkham Knight - Being Rich Is a Super Power

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Batman: Arkham Knight.

Watch Video

Multiverseman

Jul 8, 2015
Are there any major spoilers in this? Because if so, this is probably going to be the first ZP video that I'll have to skip until I actually play the game.

Edit: Took the time to actually watch it. S'all good, nothing spoilery beyond a few mission numbers.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Multiverseman said:
Are there any major spoilers in this? Because if so, this is probably going to be the first ZP video that I'll have to skip until I actually play the game.
I haven't played Arkham Knight, but it didn't feel like he spoiled anything so no.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Funny, you'd think that with Scarecrow as a villain they could go nuts with the whole thing and have it occur in Batman's mind, like some deep Psychonauts shenanigans. Perfect excuse to bring the Joker back and have some genuinely dark scenes, Arkham Mind.

The new PC-Gaming master race pic seems adequate given Steam's current condition.

And congrats on the new game, can't wait for all the spoof ZP reviews of it.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
"you know what forget I said anything"

Then why bring it up? Perhaps it's because I've never played an Arkham game but that just seemed like a wishy washy point.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
PunkRex said:
Funny, you'd think that with Scarecrow as a villain they could go nuts with the whole thing and have it occur in Batman's mind, like some deep Psychonauts shenanigans. Perfect excuse to bring the Joker back and have some genuinely dark scenes, Arkham Mind.
So an Arkham Batman game as blended together by Psychonauts and the Purgatory changing the landscape bits from DMC: Devil May Cry... I can dig it.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
WhiteNachos said:

Then why bring it up? Perhaps it's because I've never played an Arkham game but that just seemed like a wishy washy point.
Because even he's getting a bit tired of it. A fear years late compared to the rest of us, but hey.

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Because even he's getting a bit tired of it. A fear years late compared to the rest of us, but hey.
Just a question, an honest question. What games have recently been accused of being sexist to any major degree recently? And my to any major degree I mean more than a couple of youtubers/bloggers/forum commenters. Because I'm drawing a blank. I just have the nagging feeling that despite people still shouting about it, the arguments have gone kinda meta and are about the concept more than any actual solid examples.

OT: Pretty funny, though I was reminded to a certain degree of a recent Critical Miss. Also, the entire city is overrun now? I'm surprised America doesn't just give up on Gotham. I mean they did it in one of the comics didn't they?

THM

Sep 27, 2014
erttheking said:
OT: Pretty funny, though I was reminded to a certain degree of a recent Critical Miss. Also, the entire city is overrun now? I'm surprised America doesn't just give up on Gotham. I mean they did it in one of the comics didn't they?
They certainly did - "No Man's Land", it was called. Batman (as you'd expect) refused to let the abdication of responsibility stick.

Oddly enough, that also had Ivy acting in a vaguely good manner as well. Well, good for her, anyway.

OT: The more I read and see about AK, the more I'm getting the impression it's best to skip it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The plots to the Arkham games have always been pretty weak, which is a shame considering how Batman has given TONS of the greatest comic book stories of all time (as well as the best adaptations) and yet the games stumble left and right trying to keep our attention, luckily saved by the top-notch gameplay. It's like they copy the best of Batman, but also forget the nuance and also how to make things feel connected and fluid. And also they forget that making things "mature" does not mean "let's make everything as morose and as mean-spirited as possible." In that case it's like they're copying Nolan's film adaptations of Batman, but forget why those films are mature and are highly praised.

Again, they're luckily saved by top-notch gameplay but now it's clear that the team is running out of ideas and need to wrap things up before they're stumbling for eternity like, say, Assassin's Creed is.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Apart from Scarecrow's hencemen, I was equally if not more so puzzled by Penguin and Two-Face remaining in Gotham Peninsula. They obviously know what Scarecrow's up to since he keeps yucking it up over a loud speaker that can be heard across the city -- You'd think they'd have more qualms with the guy drenching Gotham (including both their crime syndicates) in fear toxin.

And yes, Scarecrow was ruined in Knight for reasons that completely escape me, when they nailed him so perfectly in Asylum.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
And yes, Scarecrow was ruined in Knight for reasons that completely escape me, when they nailed him so perfectly in Asylum.
Eh. His voice nails his new role and he is still very much Scarecrow, scarier sometimes even. It's rated M this time around for a reason. Then again, I haven't finished the game and unlike Knight's true identity I don't know it beforehand.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
jamail77 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Eh. His voice nails his new role and he is still very much Scarecrow, scarier sometimes even. It's rated M this time around for a reason. Then again, I haven't finished the game and unlike Knight's true identity I don't know it beforehand.
What's scarier though, or scary about him in general? He's just Hugo Strange with a hoodie now. I can barely even remember any of the scenes he was in, much like Strange in City. In Asylum he felt like a proper boogie man who got his kicks from scaring the shit out of everyone, in Knight he's just a random monologing villain talking down at you from his jumbotron.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Just a question, an honest question. What games have recently been accused of being sexist to any major degree recently? And my to any major degree I mean more than a couple of youtubers/bloggers/forum commenters. Because I'm drawing a blank. I just have the nagging feeling that despite people still shouting about it, the arguments have gone kinda meta and are about the concept more than any actual solid examples.
Witcher 3.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/05/31/why-feminist-frequency-is-dead-wrong-about-the-witcher-3/

Oddly, haven't seen the same whining about Batman. Kind of odd, isn't it?

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Have to say, I've never been very fond of the Arkham games. The gameplay is servicable at best and the stories are not the most stellar (the exploration is fun though). They're not bad games, I just don't like them as much as everyone else seems to.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
jamail77 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Eh. His voice nails his new role and he is still very much Scarecrow, scarier sometimes even.
Pretty much how I feel about it. Scarecrow segments in Asylum were excellent. But very brief.

But in hindsight, Scarecrow himself was closer to a jibbering circus sideshow annoyance than a capable supervillain. Much closer to 'camp' than 'menacing'. He giggled, he cackled, his over exaggerated mannerisms made his brief appearances quite entertaining. He sure 'acted'.

But personally, I don't think that kind of behavior would have made him an effective villain. Scarecrow as he is in Arkham Knight is actually menacing and genuinely scary. His personality in Knight, coupled with his plans, work incredibly well. And given the gallery of villains that exist in Knight, he fits in very well among them.

OT: This ZP episode leaves a lot out for the sake of the story. Which is understandable, since speaking from the basis of narrative, I found this to be the strongest Arkham game to date. The game has it's problems, but I found the story to be addicting from almost the beginning, all the way to the very end.

Not that I don't have my gripes with it (Seriously, the fucking tank wars), but I think Rocksteady did their finest job with this game's story.

Now, Rocksteady, how about that Superman game?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
To me, Scarecrow doesn't sound that much like a top-tier villain, but The Joker's dead, so we can't use him, same for Dr. Strange, but the League of Assassins should still be kicking around. I think Ra's al-Ghul and Talia are too dead for the Lazarus pit to work on now, but they could have another leader.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
It feels like everything I hear about Arkham Knight I want less and less to play it. Fitting, I suppose, given that I played the games less and less each sequel.

After City I can't really muster up for hate for the plothole about the evacuation, only disappointment at the fact that adding civilians in could have made for interesting gameplay (can't just indiscriminately blast away at those drones at that point).

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I never understood the need for any game past Asylum. I mean City was decent...I guess. Wasn't nearly as good as Asylum, but was worth 1 play-through.
Origins was absolute dog shit and Knight it turns out would have been very pretty dog shit, but they fucked it up, so its just low-res barely 30FPS dog shit.

Also what is it with bad Batman writers and thinking that if a game is darker, it is more Batman? Batman is allowed to have unqualified victories you know. This isn't Sin City and he isn't Marv! You can have a perfectly good Batman story without dying a very unnecessary "Oh SO Batman!" style death.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Silvershock said:
I can't even watch the bloody episode. If I have ABP on, I get an advert for the Escapist (that still has MovieBob and Jim in it). If I turn it off, I get that advert and one for Batman DLC. No episode.
Weird. You can try the Tech Team group chat for help or see the video help page for more. I can sympathize; a lot of the new video player content will buffer very slowly compared to the last one and pause every few moments. Hopefully they'll get it under control soon.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
It makes sense that Scarecrow isn't how he was in Asylum tbh, he did get mauled by Croc, apparently under his hood you can see the damage croc has done, hell it looks like his bottom jaw is about to fall off.

His voice in this is absolutely perfect in my opinion and i cant wait to finally play it....

HURRY UP PC VERSION!

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Witcher 3.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/05/31/why-feminist-frequency-is-dead-wrong-about-the-witcher-3/

People have been positive and negative of both Witcher and Batman. Rock Paper Shotgun, often moaned about because it has an opinion on females in games, actually praised the Witcher for the most part, in that whilst its women were wearing what amounted to boob hammocks, they had considerably better writing than previous outings. You can find negative criticism of Arkham Knight's portrayal of women in The Mary Sue (criticizing both the depiction of women, and their role in the story).

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
erttheking said:
I haven't read the comics, but I was wondering the same thing. Since Gotham has become overrun with criminals and all the civies left already, why not just pull an Escape From New York and section off the city, or send in a nuke?

The impression I got from the gameplay when it was originally shown was that Gotham was put into the same position that happened in Dark Knight Rises (City is still inhabited by civies, but is overrun with criminals).

Silentpony said:
Also what is it with bad Batman writers and thinking that if a game is darker, it is more Batman? Batman is allowed to have unqualified victories you know. This isn't Sin City and he isn't Marv! You can have a perfectly good Batman story without dying a very unnecessary "Oh SO Batman!" style death.
Because he's a vigilante runs around dressed like a bat, so something must be wrong with him. *End sarcasm*

That's the same problem my dad pointed out when watching the Batman films (Excluding Adam West Batman) up to the Nolan trilogy. The films spent so much time psychoanalyzing Batman as if he's a guy about to go over the edge and how he's a worse person for Gotham than any of the villains he faces are.

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Witcher 3.

I said "And to any major degree I mean more than a couple of youtubers/bloggers/forum commenters." I don't consider it a major amount criticism if it's just Anita and her posse. Sorry if I didn't make it that clear.

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
Transdude1996 said:
erttheking said:
I haven't read the comics, but I was wondering the same thing. Since Gotham has become overrun with criminals and all the civies left already, why not just pull an Escape From New York and section off the city, or send in a nuke?

The impression I got from the gameplay when it was originally shown was that Gotham was put into the same position that happened in Dark Knight Rises (City is still inhabited by civies, but is overrun with criminals).
The sad thing is, with all the shit that goes down in that city, you could nuke it while it was still inhabited and I get the feeling the death toll would be brought down in the long run.

TheBigOne0305

Sep 19, 2014
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Witcher 3.

Kotaku did it: https://archive.is/w2idQ (spoilers inside!)
And the writer (I refuse to call this journalism) didn't even finish the game before complaining about a story arc he didn't even see the end of (including some twists apparently).
KiA discussion on the piece (including a list of all the errors/false assumptions the writer made): http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/3bnf5p/spoilers_in_link_kotaku_writer_jumps_the_gun_to/

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
Guilion said:
erttheking said:
From recent memory?

The witcher 3

Hotline Miami 2

Smash Bros for Wii U (Yes, people are still going on about this one, really)

And there's people trying to stirr controversy about Mother Russia Bleeds before it's even released

Other than that I think that's it, for some reason the narrative is once again changing to violence in video games.

Edit: Cleaned a little bit.
Hm. Doesn't really seem like that much. The only one I can really remember is the Hotline Miami 2 backlash (And having played the game, it really does feel like the rape was there for the sake of being there, so I have a hard time blaming the people who lashed out against it. The devs said it was crucial to the characters...well that was a goddamn lie. The character in question had two missions then died with me barely knowing anything about him.) I haven't seen much of a backlash against the Witcher 3 and the only thing I can think of for Smash Bros is those FUCKING STUPID shoes they gave Samus (Even if you don't want to call it sexist can we at least agree it completely clashes with her design?). Hell if anything I remember there actually being a backlash for smash bros being the other way around, people complaining "Might as well call it smash sisters"...when the gender ratio was still in the favor of men. And I've never heard of Mother Russia Bleeds before now.

As for violence, I think gamers can universally agree that there's nothing really wrong with violence, though some people can misuse it in an attempt to be edgy (Hello Hatred...come to think of it I think hatred is the only example of this. And frankly the sooner people forgets that Hatred exists the better.)

Silvershock

Jul 12, 2013
Barbas said:
Silvershock said:
I can't even watch the bloody episode. If I have ABP on, I get an advert for the Escapist (that still has MovieBob and Jim in it). If I turn it off, I get that advert and one for Batman DLC. No episode.
Weird. You can try the Tech Team group chat for help or see the video help page for more. I can sympathize; a lot of the new video player content will buffer very slowly compared to the last one and pause every few moments. Hopefully they'll get it under control soon.
Actually it runs rather nicely for me, especially on Linux. For those of us in FOSSland, it's a welcome upgrade. It's rather a pity that the adverts have started blocking content, but I think priorities on this site are becoming pretty clear.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Silvershock said:
Barbas said:
Silvershock said:
Actually it runs rather nicely for me, especially on Linux. For those of us in FOSSland, it's a welcome upgrade. It's rather a pity that the adverts have started blocking content, but I think priorities on this site are becoming pretty clear.
That's a rule that I get the feeling the staff don't like much, since it's caused contention and it annoys a lot of people to get warnings for something that appears pretty innocuous. Still, it's ads that earn the site the money to keep running. The rule can't really stop people, but I think it's an attempt to stop a leak from spreading. A larger annoyance for the tech team is in trying to get advertisers not to put dodgy stuff in their ads, use those annoying expanding ads or trackers, or use ones that, as was the case here, have some sort of weird compatibility issue with the video player and stop everything from working. I'll drop them a line and I'm sure they'll get it sorted out before long. If it occurs again, take a screenshot and post it in the tech team chat for 'em.

OT: Uh...this was plugging ZP's game pretty hard; the snippet at the end seemed superfluous.

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
For Christ's sake, what is the Escapist paying Yahtzee that they had to fire literally everyone else? And whose idea was this mobile phone app? Nobody plays video games on phones besides complete idiots.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
erttheking said:
Im sure of that old assassin's creed one but I'm not the best to ask all that controversy blends into the background.
Maybe if you count gta 5.
But then again, there are very few parts of the games media that might as well have been bloggers, that's why I don't tend to listen to it.
There's steam reviews for a reason, also I just don't tend to over lap with people that give a shit about sociology.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
To be fair with regards to the story: Scarecrow's plan isn't to gas an abandoned Gotham (which is only mostly abandoned...you can clearly see the rest of the city beyond the borders of the three islands you get to play around on), but rather to gas the entire eastern sea board.

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
Okay, did someone just report Silvershock for saying advertisements are annoying? WTF.

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
Logience said:
Okay, did someone just report Silvershock for saying advertisements are annoying? WTF.
No, Silvershock was reported for mentioning a program for the blocking of ads, specifically that they were using it.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Tohuvabohu said:
jamail77 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Eh. His voice nails his new role and he is still very much Scarecrow, scarier sometimes even.
Pretty much how I feel about it. Scarecrow segments in Asylum were excellent. But very brief.

But in hindsight, Scarecrow himself was closer to a jibbering circus sideshow annoyance than a capable supervillain. Much closer to 'camp' than 'menacing'. He giggled, he cackled, his over exaggerated mannerisms made his brief appearances quite entertaining. He sure 'acted'.

But personally, I don't think that kind of behavior would have made him an effective villain. Scarecrow as he is in Arkham Knight is actually menacing and genuinely scary. His personality in Knight, coupled with his plans, work incredibly well. And given the gallery of villains that exist in Knight, he fits in very well among them.

OT: This ZP episode leaves a lot out for the sake of the story. Which is understandable, since speaking from the basis of narrative, I found this to be the strongest Arkham game to date. The game has it's problems, but I found the story to be addicting from almost the beginning, all the way to the very end.

Not that I don't have my gripes with it (Seriously, the fucking tank wars), but I think Rocksteady did their finest job with this game's story.

Now, Rocksteady, how about that Superman game?
Exactly. He was too camp before but now Casual Shinji he's too unmemorable. Those either contradict or you have a serious nostalgic kick for the original voice and role, which is fine frankly.

I would love a Superman game from Rocksteady honestly. Probably would improve his character too.

leahy5

May 4, 2010
Luminous_Umbra said:
Logience said:
No, Silvershock was reported for mentioning a program for the blocking of ads, specifically that they were using it.
I'm not sure I understand though. He wasn't recommending that anyone else use it.
He was saying that whether he had it turned on or off he still couldn't play the video.
He wasn't saying that anyone should use it or that he even wants to use it on this site.

I would be in the same boat had I not figured out that I could right click on the immense black square that appears where the video should initially be and then press play, though he seems to be having a different issue.

Why would someone report him for explaining the issue he's having with the video player?

It seems odd to me that The Escapist still hasn't got their video player working 100% smoothly at this point.

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
leahy5 said:
Luminous_Umbra said:
Logience said:
I'm not sure I understand though. He wasn't recommending that anyone else use it.
He was saying that whether he had it turned on or off he still couldn't play the video.
He wasn't saying that anyone should use it or that he even wants to use it on this site.

I would be in the same boat had I not figured out that I could right click on the immense black square that appears where the video should initially be and then press play, though he seems to be having a different issue.

Why would someone report him for explaining the issue he's having with the video player?

It seems odd to me that The Escapist still hasn't got their video player working 100% smoothly at this point.
Ok, I'm going to explain this a second time.

The Escapist, in its Code of Conduct, has the following rule:

"Ad Blockers - Do not link to, advocate, or admit to using ad blockers."

Silvershock did the last one by saying "If I have ABP on, I get an advert for the Escapist (that still has MovieBob and Jim in it)."

Thus, they were reported.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Aiddon said:
The plots to the Arkham games have always been pretty weak, which is a shame considering how Batman has given TONS of the greatest comic book stories of all time (as well as the best adaptations) and yet the games stumble left and right trying to keep our attention, luckily saved by the top-notch gameplay. It's like they copy the best of Batman, but also forget the nuance and also how to make things feel connected and fluid. And also they forget that making things "mature" does not mean "let's make everything as morose and as mean-spirited as possible." In that case it's like they're copying Nolan's film adaptations of Batman, but forget why those films are mature and are highly praised.

Again, they're luckily saved by top-notch gameplay but now it's clear that the team is running out of ideas and need to wrap things up before they're stumbling for eternity like, say, Assassin's Creed is.
Meh, I personally found Nolan's films to be somewhat overrated(I thought Bane was an absolute joke in the last film, his voice just sounded so ridiculous that I couldn't take him seriously, plus I could barely understand what the hell he was saying to the point where I was begging for subtitles).

I liked the game overall, though I was rather surprised that I correctly guessed the identity of the titular Arkham Knight. I thought the ending was a bit disappointing, but maybe the upcoming DLC will shed more light on it.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I'm surprised that Yahtzee didn't mention the fact the amount of times they do the "turn the camera away, turn it back, and BAM something's changed" trick. I feel like they must have developed some new technology to make it work more effectively, because they do it a lot and it keeps on working, with some of it seeming eerily seamless. Probably the best one (out of the half of the game I've played) was when:

...You're playing as Commissioner Gordon, having been invited to some secret location by Batman. You explore the place in first person, and having looked around you turn around and BAM, Batman's RIGHT behind you. It genuinely made me swear at the top of my voice, and reminded me how scary Batman is to normal people (and that's to people who's legs he doesn't break).

PS. I also noticed the thing with the female characters in Arkham Knight. Pretty much all of them end up getting kidnapped or detained or Harley Quinn just being written into the downward spiral of "She's dumb and crazy, lol". On the plus side, Kate Kane/Maggie Sawyer engagement easter egg, and Oracle pulling a pretty badass stunt!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
erttheking said:
Guilion said:
erttheking said:
From recent memory?

The witcher 3

Hotline Miami 2

Smash Bros for Wii U (Yes, people are still going on about this one, really)

And there's people trying to stirr controversy about Mother Russia Bleeds before it's even released

Other than that I think that's it, for some reason the narrative is once again changing to violence in video games.

Edit: Cleaned a little bit.
Hm. Doesn't really seem like that much. The only one I can really remember is the Hotline Miami 2 backlash (And having played the game, it really does feel like the rape was there for the sake of being there, so I have a hard time blaming the people who lashed out against it. The devs said it was crucial to the characters...well that was a goddamn lie. The character in question had two missions then died with me barely knowing anything about him.) I haven't seen much of a backlash against the Witcher 3 and the only thing I can think of for Smash Bros is those FUCKING STUPID shoes they gave Samus (Even if you don't want to call it sexist can we at least agree it completely clashes with her design?). Hell if anything I remember there actually being a backlash for smash bros being the other way around, people complaining "Might as well call it smash sisters"...when the gender ratio was still in the favor of men. And I've never heard of Mother Russia Bleeds before now.

As for violence, I think gamers can universally agree that there's nothing really wrong with violence, though some people can misuse it in an attempt to be edgy (Hello Hatred...come to think of it I think hatred is the only example of this. And frankly the sooner people forgets that Hatred exists the better.)
Hatred isn't even that violent, the executions are tame compared the ones in Manhunt and The Punisher.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
erttheking said:
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Witcher 3.

I said "And to any major degree I mean more than a couple of youtubers/bloggers/forum commenters." I don't consider it a major amount criticism if it's just Anita and her posse. Sorry if I didn't make it that clear.
What are you talking about, she's an AWARD WINNING game critic! AWARD WINNING! Plus Anita and her posse is like two thirds of game journalists these days.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Argentina
I think Yahtzee wastes too much time hanging on the weaker aspects of a game's story. Dude, less about that, more on gameplay.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Logience said:
So what you're saying is that Escapist can ban people for using adblock programs? What a bunch of dicks.
Not ban outright, that I have heard of, you get like one of those warnings on your profile. Maybe if you get enough warnings racked up you could get a temporary suspension. But permabanned? I do not believe so. But you have to admit that you are using one such program in order for any action to be taken. It's not something that they actively scan for.

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Witcher 3.

What are you talking about, she's an AWARD WINNING game critic! AWARD WINNING! Plus Anita and her posse is like two thirds of game journalists these days.
O...k. The point I'm trying to make is that I haven't seen much in terms of quantity when these things happen now. And two thirds of games journalists? Yeah...tone down the hyperbole.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
erttheking said:
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Witcher 3.

O...k. The point I'm trying to make is that I haven't seen much in terms of quantity when these things happen now. And two thirds of games journalists? Yeah...tone down the hyperbole.
Probably because you stopped going to the trash sites that feature such "outrage" as news. I haven't seen it either, because I don't go to those cesspools anymore.

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Witcher 3.

Probably because you stopped going to the trash sites that feature such "outrage" as news. I haven't seen it either, because I don't go to those cesspools anymore.
If there was a massive abundance of articles calling things sexist I have a feeling that it would've trickled down to the Escapist when someone made a thread complaining about it. Also I imagine it's nowhere as widespread as you claim, you numbers just aren't feasible.

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
Tohuvabohu said:

I'll have to disagree here. The story started strong and was going strong for quite a bit of time, that's true. I was actually quite hopeful about this story and impressed with Rocksteady but in the end they didn't have the balls to go through with what they started. At the point when you learn that a certain very important event was just a red herring, the story just straight up jumps down from the building and crashes hard on the pavement. At this point I kinda lost interest whereas before I was having fun and was willing to overlook shoving up the batmobile everywhere. Without good storyline to keep you occupied everything that's not great is becoming apparent, like horrible side quests for side villains (especially Man-Bat). And then they had to try and give character development to certain someone by giving him motivation which completely missed the point IMO. That bit destroyed the already kinda boring game for me to the point if it wasn't the very end I wouldn't even finish it.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Techically Witcher 3.

Which is funny as it has some of the best female characters in gaming. And is based on a book series which has some extremely complex characters and a LOT to say about sexism.

It was mostly just uneducated "failures of Western education"/Washington trolls that badmouthed Witcher 3 though. People with 0 knowledge on other cultures and countries, monolingual, that probably failed both history and literature at school :p.

EDIT* I see someone else pointed it out :p

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Not that this side discussion really matters or anything, but I do want to ask. What would you constitute as a minimum for the number of articles, blogs and/or youtube videos required for it to be considered a "major degree"?

Because that's a fairly subjective line, and you probably have a higher threshold for what would constitute that than others. So I'm curious where that line is for you.

President Bagel

Nov 18, 2009
Logience said:
For Christ's sake, what is the Escapist paying Yahtzee that they had to fire literally everyone else? And whose idea was this mobile phone app? Nobody plays video games on phones besides complete idiots.
Or maybe just normal blokes who are looking to kill 10 minutes while waiting for the dentist, as well as nearly half of Japan's total population.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
I think Yahtzee wastes too much time hanging on the weaker aspects of a game's story. Dude, less about that, more on gameplay.
Well, he has mentioned (especially when talking about fighting games) that he cares mostly about story.

Also, what's really to say about the gameplay?

Same as the last ones, but better in places (except one PC where it wasn't working).
Also, bat-tank. ;p

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Nuuu~! Batman kicks the icecream man? Who else will the one remaining food vendor in Gotham be able to sell to? I think the villain types would refuse to pay so that leaves the remaining law enforcement who are doing everything they can to hold an empty city together ouch! lol

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Charcharo said:
Which is funny as it has some of the best female characters in gaming. And is based on a book series which has some extremely complex characters and a LOT to say about sexism.
DAMMIT CHARCHARO! Praise writing in The Witcher books and games one more time and I swear to God - I will find you and I will make you appreciate actually good literature, even if it will cost lives!

Johnny Novgorod said:
Press X to BATMAN

Here.

It is literally everything there is to say about Arkham Knight gameplay.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Marxie said:
Charcharo said:
DAMMIT CHARCHARO! Praise writing in The Witcher books and games one more time and I swear to God - I will find you and I will make you appreciate actually good literature, even if it will cost lives!

Johnny Novgorod said:
Press X to BATMAN

Here.

It is literally everything there is to say about Arkham Knight gameplay.
Marxie, you do realize your opinion is not actually something that coincides with neither the majority, nor the critics opinion?
That is fine btw.
*looks at GoT and Bioshit Infinite*

But I know how to appreciate good literature. Thank you very much.
*chuckles at the Wheel of Time*

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
...Is this all that Hatfall is? Like seriously, is it just this over and over again? From the screenshots and stuff I thought it was going to be like Dumb Ways to Die or Toilet Time or one of those other Warioware-esque mini-game fueled games. But I've been playing for about an hour and it just seems to be this one game over and over again with some slight variations chucked in.

I paid two dollars for this? C'mon, Yahtzee. For someone who's so quick to point out the faults of games and the industry, why is this a thing? I mean sure, it's mildly fun, even if the controls need some work, but if this is all that it is, it's not worth 2 bucks. This should've been either free or a dollar at most.

And the fact that it has microtransactions in it...really? You. You of all people allowed microtransactions in your game? I mean at least it's not trying to be like "Hey, you can have 18,000 hats for $99.99 BEST VALUE." but still. You've locked game content behind a pay wall in a game we've already paid above average cost for on a mobile game.

YOU'VE BECOME EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER HATED!!!

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United States
It's okay Yahtzee, you can complain about how a game handles female characters, you won't get any flak for it.

Unlike other people. For reasons.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Yahtzee didn't even mention the best part of Arkham Knight: Joker.
This final installment is as much Joker's story as Batman's, and it's one hell of a send-off to both characters.
I mean, this is a game where you get to deploy "The Killing Joke" - it's simply a must-play for Batman fans, for the story alone, and since the gameplay is at its most refined, it's also a blast to play while experiencing that story.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I had to pause the video because Scarecrow giving warning and letting many escape first is not a plot hole and quikcly explained and expanded on because of NO SPOILERS!!!