Zero Punctuation: Batman: Arkham Origins

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
That video was annoying as hell. Dude rambles on and on...the whole thing was one big run-on sentence. I couldn't finish the video, and it doesn't make me want to watch any of the other video reviews. I'm almost aching in my head from trying to keep up with all the rambling...

Anyways, it looks like a good game, but Batman as a character is starting to become dull IMO. Loved Arkham City, and that game got 10s in its reviews, so "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Especially now.

On the other hand, I would be way more interested in Batman's future sans-Joker... I have yet to get Harley's revenge mind you. Prequels are always tricky things to do.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Not sure if there has ever been a decent Golden Age game or at least a 1960s TV Batman game where it is not so serious.

Have not played any of the previous Batman games.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
EHKOS said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
EHKOS said:
So I heard WB hired that studio to fill in a Batman game to give Rocksteady time for a real sequel, which I hope is true. Because with the
Joker gone
there is only one direction to go...BEYOND.

So I'm really hoping that rumor is true, that ROCKSTEADY is doing it, and it is a Beyond game. Because they already made the suit model, and jet boots could replace the grapple accelerator, and...well...OK so most of the Beyond villains suck, but it would still be awesome.
I always feel like I would LOVE a Batman Beyond game, until I remember how absolutely overpowered Batman would be and how there's really no possible way to have stealth sections what with Batman having the ability to turn invisible.

They'd have to seriously nerf his gadgets and abilities in order to make the game a challenge.
Oh that's right, I forgot he could turn invisible. Then again, it's the future, so maybe we could bring some heat sensing goggles into the mix or something. Maybe a virus could infect the suit's systems in the middle of the game as a side mission kinda thing like in ZOE 1 with ADA.
I have never heard of this future batman, but knowing this now...it would be a very interesting angle to work from. And perhaps Yahtzee would get his jetpacks in the end :) I wish i had time to study such character backgrounds.

To be honest, just seeing the pre-release gameplay videos gave me the impression this was going to be a slightly half arsed re-paint of arkham city. Hence why i spent my hard earned dolla on Black flag instead. Gottsta get ma stealth fix somehow matey!
Actually have never played anything more than a demo of Arkham Asylum, and only mostly completed Arkham city...soooo if i just collect and complete those...2 + 1 is 3 ...there ya go! I've basically played origins but better! That's logic my friends, as far as i'm aware.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Is Yahtzee talking much slower than normal in this episode or have I just entered some state of hyperawareness?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Eldritch Warlord said:
Is Yahtzee talking much slower than normal in this episode or have I just entered some state of hyperawareness?
I believe hyperawareness. The first time i experienced it was a true challenge of listening power. But now i can listen to it whilst making tea and agony aunting surrounding friends. Well, sort of :)

Oct 22, 2011
Yeah i do believe it's a matter of habbit.
Proof?
gamernerdtg2 said:
That video was annoying as hell. Dude rambles on and on...the whole thing was one big run-on sentence. I couldn't finish the video, and it doesn't make me want to watch any of the other video reviews. I'm almost aching in my head from trying to keep up with all the rambling...
Anyway, i didn't try out AC yet, so i guess i'll pick AO much later.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
Haha! that post did make me laugh. Such virginial ears...
You're supposed to be tender with virgins if you want the sex to be great later on dude.
This mofo is British with the most annoying command of the English language that I've ever heard.

I'm frigid for life now. =)

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
What is Yahtzee's record for number of times saying "ass" in a single video? Because I think he broke it here. I started a "couldn't be assed" counter a quarter through the video. It broke!

Harmor

Sep 27, 2008
Guess they should have never let another studio touch this franchise - Asylum and City were damn fine games.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Drake the Dragonheart said:
What is Yahtzee's record for number of times saying "ass" in a single video? Because I think he broke it here. I started a "couldn't be assed" counter a quarter through the video. It broke!
I'm not sure about the ass record, but he certainly broke the arse record.

Sorry, just had to. The ass record would be broken by saying it twice in one episode.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
alik44 said:
Uhhhh... is bad that im getting tired of Batman? He's not bad, its just that i have seen him so many times now. out of the thousands of hero's from comic's, why is it that i always see batman?
Batman is one of those franchises which is in dire need of a ten-year moratorium. Star Wars is another.

PlatinumWarlock

Jan 4, 2010
I always viewed Poison Ivy as a reflection of both Batman's industrial roots and his repressed sexuality.

Bruce Wayne is the head of a multi-billion dollar corporation, which surely has had environmental lapses and (at best) middling effect on the environment at large.
Pamela Isley rejected her chance to be an industrialst/biochemist, in favor of supporting the environment--obviously to fanatic levels.

Similarly, Bruce Wayne plays the act of the "billionaire playboy", but that's only a disguise--in reality, he holds almost everyone at arm's length, in favor of his relentless pursuit of crime. His relationships are fleeting, at best, and carry massive baggage. Batman rejects sexuality in general, viewing it as a weapon that can be used against him: how many times have we heard that old spiel of "I can't let anyone get close to me" from a superhero movie, after all? However, Batman openly avoids and (dare I say) fears sexual advance because of this. Take a look at how Batman reacts when Joker slaps his ass in "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth" for context on that.

Poison Ivy's most devastating attack isn't necessarily her control of plants, but rather her manipulation of pheromones to essentially enslave anyone that might be a sexual partner. Sexuality is part and parcel with her persona; it's built into her repertoire of powers. But, while Batman guards against his sexuality, she embraces it.

Your enemies will define you, indeed...

Alaster Angelo

Jul 12, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
I enjoyed it for what it was, wished it has stuck with the Joker/Batman relationship more.
Are you joking? That's practically all the second half of the game was, and the reason I kind of hate the way the story went in this game. Heaven forbid we get one Batman game without the Joker absolutely stealing every bit of spotlight from the other villains.

Charles Phipps

Oct 12, 2013
I am late to the party here and just played the game. http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2014/03/batman-arkham-origins-review.html

Yeah, the game was disappointing but had flashes of greatness. I didn't mind the Joker's presence but felt Black Mask could have done much of the same job. Really, I love the Joker but I think he can be overexposed and three games in a row is definitely that way.