Zero Punctuation: Battlefield 1

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
Thanks, at least one reviewer who saw the wallpaper swapjob from WW II to WW I with the centerforces essentially beeing grumpykrauts.

And the weirdness concerning historical accuracy that wavered like a rollercoaster throughout

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Thank you so much for tearing this piece of shit game a new asshole, why critics loved the campaign I will never understand, it fails miserably at getting you to give a shit about any of the characters and has very monotonous and unchallenging gameplay, Total Biscuit also had some pretty good criticisms of this game:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkDysHo83lw

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Wolf Hagen said:
Thanks, at least one reviewer who saw the wallpaper swapjob from WW II to WW I with the centerforces essentially beeing grumpykrauts.

And the weirdness concerning historical accuracy that wavered like a rollercoaster throughout
TotalBiscuit made similar remarks about the game on the Co Optional Podcast, and he was right, I was really surprised when Jim Sterling actually liked the campaign of this game.

Wonder if Yahtzee is going to do a double review of Titanfall 2 and Infinite Warfare next week since they share some similarities.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Ha, that dog got me! :)

Well, not much expected from BF1, didn't get anything. So no surprise there!

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Wolf Hagen said:

I think a sizable part of it is that a "large" amount of reviewers and consumers wanted something that wasn't knock-off Halo/Doom/Half-Life/TimeSplitters/[
Code:
insert sci-fi space/time/dimension travel FPS series
].

master-xavier

May 2, 2012
I wonder, considering the amount of BIG releases at this time of the year (Dishonored 2, Watch Dogs 2, Final Fantasy 15, Dead Rising 4, The Last Guardian), if Yahtzee will do a "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare VS Titanfall 2" to save space and that way being able to review more games before the year is over.

It makes sense because this time they are both Sci-Fi military shooters about fighting over control of a solar system, limited jet packs and free running, piloting as a big part of the gameplay (Starship in one and Mecha on the other) with an AI companion and relatively short campaigns, they're similar enough that a comparison review would be perfectly plausible.

JayDeth

Dec 18, 2009
Is it ironic that this video that shits on BF1 does so while literally simultaneously being strangled by BF1 ads?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
master-xavier said:
I wonder, considering the amount of BIG releases at this time of the year (Dishonored 2, Watch Dogs 2, Final Fantasy 15, Dead Rising 4, The Last Guardian), if Yahtzee will do a "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare VS Titanfall 2" to save space and that way being able to review more games before the year is over.

It makes sense because this time they are both Sci-Fi military shooters about fighting over control of a solar system, limited jet packs and free running, piloting as a big part of the gameplay (Starship in one and Mecha on the other) with an AI companion and relatively short campaigns, they're similar enough that a comparison review would be perfectly plausible.
I was expecting him to compare and contrast BF1 to CoD:IW this week.
And they really still have automatic weapons like from WWII for this game? Why not the single-shot rifles they actually had in the war? I've played WWII shooters that had those.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Now I can't get the image of a sad puppy wearing a trilby out of my head...

Gonna go have a little weep.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
master-xavier said:

I was expecting him to compare and contrast BF1 to CoD:IW this week.
And they really still have automatic weapons like from WWII for this game? Why not the single-shot rifles they actually had in the war? I've played WWII shooters that had those.
Apparently they took big strides to find any prototype smgs they could so people could run around with automatics instead of the bolt action rifles pretty much everyone would have.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I got it and there is a lot to recommend it.

Maybe I'm think: did yahtzee particularly dislike this game?

So far, to me, I agree it is not a history lesson. There weren't so many automatic weapons then. Even so, the focus on fun and it is beautiful to look at.

1. I like it.
2. I don't really understand Yahtee's review. Did he particularly dislike it?

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Gorfias said:
I got it and there is a lot to recommend it.

Maybe I'm think: did yahtzee particularly dislike this game?

So far, to me, I agree it is not a history lesson. There weren't so many automatic weapons then. Even so, the focus on fun and it is beautiful to look at.

1. I like it.
2. I don't really understand Yahtee's review. Did he particularly dislike it?
From what I gather, he did not like it. Basically too much like previous Battlefield games with nothing to differentiate it for the better outside of model skins.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah, I had a feeling something like this would happen. Same old same old with a fresh coat of paint. Now with more hypocrisy!

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
As far as the name goes, I do wish they had gone for the Roman numeral this time around, seeing how that's how everyone I've ever known as always written "World War I". I mean, jeez, EA, you had one job...

Well, no, actually you had quite a few jobs and you botched a great deal of the important ones, but this is the one I'm choosing to be upset over because, as someone who's not actually buying the game, it's the only one that directly affects me in any way.

Paul Norman

Jun 30, 2016
Honestly, I think I'd rather play Verdun or Valiant Hearts if I wanted a decent WWI experience. Hell, I'd even play that one freeware game from yonks ago that had you running through trenches trying to avoid a dinosaur thing. Wish I remembered the name of that...