Zero Punctuation: Battlefield 3

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Undead Dragon King said:
Stick with what you're good at, I guess. Just don't act like the entire game is unoriginal just because one part of it is.
So you're saying that the multiplayer does things that haven't been seen in previous Battlefield games, or other FPS games? Not that the game not being original is a bad thing if all you wanted was a newer, shinier Battlefield, but from what I hear there's nothing new on offer in MP as well.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
As a single-player gamer that detests even the scent of another player stinking up my glorious gaming sessions, I'm happy Yahtzee reviewed the single-player... and let me know what I'd be getting (or more precisely, not getting).

Then again, military shooters were NEVER my thing... which makes their popularity and prominence all the more disappointing. We need more PaRappa the Rapper and Crazy Taxi games.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
It's funny that people complain he didn't review the multiplayer. He NEVER reviews the multiplayer. And every review of Battlefield 3 multiplayer is always going to end the same way: The servers sucked.

IPunchWithMyFists

Feb 14, 2011
BF3 fans need more things to complain about, actually.

This is the first time I will ever say fans need more things to complain about without irony, but they do.

After being absolutely shit on by EA every step of the way up to the game's launch, they have somehow gone submissive and won't bark back at Electronic Arts, and with no one else rant at except MW3 players, I, along with Mr. Croshaw, offer myself up as sacrifice, so these assholes can get their testicles back after buying a game that is treating them like shit, they poor, beaten housewives.

Complain at me, ye ball-less. Drink from the fount of nerd-rage.

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
cmdrmonkey said:
Absolutely no one buys Battlefield games for the single player. You're probably the only person on the planet who even played it Yahtzee. Review the multiplayer or just don't bother. This is like reviewing Counter-Strike and saying it's no fun to play offline with bots.
"EA recently went on record saying that they considered the single player campaign to be just as important as multiplayer".

So if the singleplayer sucked then I can't imagine how bad the multiplayer is, and me and my friends ( the smart ones at least) buy games for singleplayer and the multiplayer is just a bonus, there's no point in paying 60 EUROS for a game filled with a horrible community that will leave the game once the next FPS comes out.

cmdrmonkey

Apr 19, 2010
What's his deal with multiplayer anyway? Does he not have any friends? Is he just a total n00b? I get the impression he's terrible at shooters from his reviews.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Me55enger said:
Swifteye said:
ph0b0s123 said:
As I predicted some weeks ago no mention of the muti player game which is the most main point the Battled field games..
That wasn't really a prediction Yathzee has gone on record that he doesn't like multilayer. Ever. We all know that's why people buy these particular games but he thinks that's exactly what's wrong with the game.
Out of sheer pseudo-curiosity for your answer, I shall pose this question to you:

What then, was the point of his review? If you have managed to condense his whole opinion of this specific genre?
Comedy. I'm honestly not entirely sure how yathzee picks his reviews. There are times he plain old refuses to review a particular type of game (like starcraft and mario kart) and then there are times where he can be pushed into reviewing a certain type of game by fan request and then there are times where the escapist asks him to review a particular title. He also review duke nukem before it came out and Washington DC which wasn't a video game. He also can't be all that forgiving of a game because the appeal of his videos comes from him being a cynical jerk which means he complains about things that are sometimes pointless and contradictory to his other complaints. And then he's reviewed games without actually doing a decent amount of the gameplay.

In hindsight yathzee is a terrible reviewer. But none of that really matters as the main focus is making it entertaining.

IPunchWithMyFists

Feb 14, 2011
Pendragon9 said:
I'm sorry to say this, but I'm sickened by anyone who ever bought Battlefield OR Modern Warfare.

You are a cancer on the industry and kindly need to jump off the face of the Earth. I don't care if you think it's fun, but it's not. Your opinion is wrong.

Good day.
By your badges, you seem to be a big fan of Yahtzee. Tell me, was Modern Warfare 1 not worth it's own time? I hate the demographic too, but there are ways to be extreme without being a moron about it.

Look at my post up there. When's the last time you saw something so horrendously pretentious? It's hideous!

I may be a pretentious asshole, but I'm at least SOMEWHAT reasonable about it. Good games are good, bad games are bad.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Me55enger said:
Swifteye said:
ph0b0s123 said:
As I predicted some weeks ago no mention of the muti player game which is the most main point the Battled field games..
That wasn't really a prediction Yathzee has gone on record that he doesn't like multilayer. Ever. We all know that's why people buy these particular games but he thinks that's exactly what's wrong with the game.
Out of sheer pseudo-curiosity for your answer, I shall pose this question to you:

What then, was the point of his review? If you have managed to condense his whole opinion of this specific genre?
Didn't he say he doesn't do reviews? Those videos are him expressing his opinion and criticising the game in a funny manner, nothing more.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I'm not sure why Yahtzee is continuing with this whole shooter season 2011 thing, considering we all know that he hates multiplayer which is the main component of most modern shooters.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
I like how all the people here, are going on about, how it's multiplayer-focused. A game shouldn't have to excuse itself for it's singleplayer, nor should I, or anyone for that matter, pay $60 for the multiplayer alone. TF2 didn't even cost that much, and it's even gone F2P.

Does anyone remember, when Croshaw reviewed Halo 3, and said a game should be able to stand on singleplayer alone? People rejoiced and threw their top hats into the air in pure joy, but somehow, this is different? Somehow, BF3 is excused?

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
cmdrmonkey said:
What's his deal with multiplayer anyway? Does he not have any friends? Is he just a total n00b? I get the impression he's terrible at shooters from his reviews.
He's in it more for a good story and gameplay, not doing the same thing over and over like is likely to happen with multiplayer.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
It's funny how people only care about his skipping over multiplayer NOW... and on a heavily PC focused game... I'm not insinuating anything, of course...

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
For the record the multiplayer is half as good as the multiplayer in Bad Company 2.

They decided that building destruction was too fun, so they took that out and replaced it with prone mode, so everyone can enjoy getting shot to pieces by a pair of legs in a skip. Seems to be less tactics than BC2, and instead of outmanoeuvring the enemy we spend our time firing rockets down an alleyway until someone gets bored or lags out. The knife is always worryingly unreliable and you can end up stabbing a nearby fly whilst the enemy turns around and shoots you. The maps are all very samey, they are smaller and feel more empty than the maps in BC2, mostly because you can't really interact with the buildings.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Lacking.this week, but then again I guess there isnt much to say if you didnt play multiplayer.

Axeion

Feb 18, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
As I predicted here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.319929-Zero-Punctuation-Kinect?page=2#13062231] some weeks ago, no mention of the multi player game which is the main point of the Battlefield series. The justification for this by Yahtzee was pretty laughable.

The bit complaining about not being able to fly a plane and that the engine would be good for a flight sim, would been very funny if that was not precisely what happens in the multiplayer game.

Yahtzee should just recuse himself from reviewing battlefield games if he is only capable of reviewing at most half the game. I have an excuse for not reviewing it as well. Blame the spyware you would have had to have loaded to play the best version on the PC. That could have been quite funny....
Yeah seems he got as far in the single player as i did.Ran into the invisable ramp thing to.Learned had to cover fire then go in.Not to much longer after that went to multiplayer an never looked back.

Multiplayer is 9/10 .

Point of fact if your playing Battelfield 3 an its repetitive to you.Your doing something wrong.Game rewards you for doing difrent things an not camping a spot.You can even swap out class builds tween deaths .Each does feel difrent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_JIKrjs5IY
so repetitive...

Shame he didnt understand his scope made him get spoted when hes looking threw .Right direction an its like a flash light to the enemy to shoot at.

ShakenBake

Sep 6, 2011
Forget the game. I want whatever medication this guy's taking. Giant gelatin monsters sound far more entertaining.

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
DannyJBeckett said:
ph0b0s123 said:
If he had not done the same thing with Bad Company 2, where EA did not make this statement, then I would have been more inclined to let it go. This is obviously a clutching at straws excuse not to talk about the multi-player part that anyone who has followed his reviews could have (and in my case did) predict.
Well... yeah. It's been well documented that Yahtzee hates multiplayer. Whether or not he wants to include that aspect of the game in his review is entirely his discretion. It's the same logic as someone not talking about unlockable concept art in a review.
In the case of the Battlefield franchise, it would be more along the lines of if a reviewer spent the entire review discussing the concept art, and pretending the actual game part itself didn't exist.