Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Hardline - Cops & Robbers

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
What I found amusing is not just that heavily armed guards would surrender rather than simply opening fire but that they would kindly not yell out for help to their pals a mere ten feet away. At any point they could call out and bring the whole room down on you, but nope they are too polite to do that. XD

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
GodzillaGuy92 said:
A one-sentence argument with simple but sound reasoning behind it being met with ad hominem wrapped in a twofold blanket of strawman and unironic comparison to religious fundamentalism. The internet is an amazing place.
You flatter yourself with how much credit your "argument" deserves, as the desirable characteristics I spoke of were clearly in the context of enjoying multiplayer gaming. As in, one might enjoy gardening for the reasons listed, but you won't find many gardeners claiming their particular choice of vegetables as the one true path to enlightenment.

When you have something more than the stock line of multiplayer xenophobes who defend themselves with tired XBL stereotypes and who feel the need to denigrate those who sink serious time into PvP, come find me.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
Wait, he didn't rip it a new butthole and fill it with sour cream? Haven't watched it yet since I'm using my phone, but considering that most of the Battlefield community hate this one van more than BF4, I was expecting him to hate the shit out of this game.
If someone who's been hating something for a long time suddenly turns his opinion around about a new iteration you should probably be cautious of that if you're someone who's previously enjoyed that something. It usually means a pretty major part of it has changed hence why people who previously liked it might now be turned off.

I'm pretty sure Yahtzee himself has made that exact point in the past.

RenegadeDuck

Oct 9, 2014
gamegod25 said:
What I found amusing is not just that heavily armed guards would surrender rather than simply opening fire but that they would kindly not yell out for help to their pals a mere ten feet away. At any point they could call out and bring the whole room down on you, but nope they are too polite to do that. XD
That got on my nerves so much. The armed, hardened killers respond to being arrested better than over half of the people real cops hand out speeding tickets to. They have their guns out, often times much larger and more effective guns than the protagonist, but they still drop them even after they're aiming right at you like a kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar. And if it's not already stupid enough that they're complying politely to arrest despite being hired, heavily armed mercs, they're not even being arrested by an actual cop! You can arrest these guys after you've been discharged! What is that?! As long as you've got a badge you can force people into submission? Maybe I can get a badge, go down to my local bank, begin to rob it, and as soon as the cops show up I just hold it up and shout "Freeze!" and then arrest them. All of them. At once.

Also, in the game, their legs aren't bound at all. Coupled with the aforementioned possibility of just screaming for help, they could also slip away when you turn your back and show up a few minutes later with their friends after they got one of their blokes to cut the cuffs off. Not that the protagonist doesn't have an infinite supply of handcuffs to arrest them all with. And arresting an armed guard would probably be way more hard than pulling a basic maneuver used on drunks. It would probably be a life-and-death struggle when the guard pulls out their knife or something and starts wrestling with you, probably while calling for help.

The arrest mechanic is as stupid as it could be. Realistically, at best, you'd incapacitate a single guy while getting yourself discovered by his buddies and later having to deal with that same guy when he runs away and gets free, and at worst, you'd be killed by that single guy who pulled out a pistol on you while you were trying to arrest him or get killed by his entire gang shortly after they're alerted. Either way, you're actually making your situation WORSE by trying to arrest someone.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
GodzillaGuy92 said:
StreamerDarkly said:
If you want organization, strategy and a greater sense of purpose, and maybe even fun, sink more time into multiplayer instead of making the same old gripe every time.
...Or just play a good singleplayer campaign, and get all that stuff up front instead of having to offer up unspecified hours of your life to the Multiplayer Sacrificial Altar.
There are actually ways of using strategy and organization in multiplayer games. It's just a matter of finding a good group and someone at the helm who knows what they're doing. A cohesive team with good direction will win 9 times out of 10.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Mortis Nuncius said:
There are actually ways of using strategy and organization in multiplayer games. It's just a matter of finding a good group and someone at the helm who knows what they're doing. A cohesive team with good direction will win 9 times out of 10.
Oh, for sure. I was just saying that going through that process in a multiplayer game in order to achieve said strategy and organization is often more trouble than just just booting up a strategic singleplayer game.

StreamerDarkly said:
And now we can add xenophobia and some bizarre fusion of religion (again) and gardening to the list of comically overblown comparisons? You know what, keep going. I'm curious to see how far this rabbit hole goes.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
This was Yahtzee at his best - metaphors so colourful they make rainbows look bland.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
theuprising said:
Yahtzee... playing... and ENJOYING multiplayer. Oh well look at that date.
I find it difficult to believe that will some day be me!!!! Seriously, I have had some multiplayer experiences that are OK and play for ones and fives of hours of them. But when I want the full immersive experience, I'm doing it solo.

I'm thinking Yahtzee is in the same boat: he had fun on multiplay for, I dunno... 3.2 hours?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Oh, this HAS to be a prank! Yahtzee, being nice to a Battlefield game? What the deuce? I haven't been perplexed by this approach to Spunkgargleweewee since his review of CoD:BlOps 2!

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Mortis Nuncius said:
GodzillaGuy92 said:
StreamerDarkly said:
If you want organization, strategy and a greater sense of purpose, and maybe even fun, sink more time into multiplayer instead of making the same old gripe every time.
...Or just play a good singleplayer campaign, and get all that stuff up front instead of having to offer up unspecified hours of your life to the Multiplayer Sacrificial Altar.
Not when everyone is a xXxLone_WolfxXx

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Always nice to see him enjoy a game, especially one cut from something he tends to dislike.
Waiting for the Bloodborne review.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I lasted about 3 hours in the multiplayer beta.

It's a "Battlefield" game but with all the variety and content stripped-out and a far shallower skill curve. In many ways you could call it a Battlefield game for the CoD demographic. The numbers show exactly who this game is popular with:

In fact BF4 has over TWICE the online PC players than Hardline PC players, and isn't that telling! This is the first battlefield game which has only attracted console players while PC players are simply NOT interested.

Worse graphics, almost no destruction, far less guns (and they STILL managed to fuck-up the weapon balance), far less vehicle-based gameplay, bad car physics, etc. Most guns kill super-fast regardless of where you hit the player (no need to aim), everyone is basically running around insta-killing or insta-dying.

But EA are still charging $60-70 for this and pushing $110-120 premium DLC package. Amazing.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
Oh, this HAS to be a prank! Yahtzee, being nice to a Battlefield game? What the deuce? I haven't been perplexed by this approach to Spunkgargleweewee since his review of CoD:BlOps 2!
Wait what perplexed you about his Black Ops II review? It was the pretty typical overly harsh, racist theory, I'm not a fan of the MMS genre video.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
certainly surprising he enjoyed the game. but so do i. even when hotwire is not my kind of thing but still a good time every now and then. heist is more my kind of fun time.
and at least the SP is not some huge downer with a very forgettable story and short playtime. at least you do have different races which is not so common for the last BF titles.