Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Hardline - Cops & Robbers

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
Well, I can see Yahtzee enjoyed Hardline more than most other modern First Person Shooters (which isn't saying that much), but one thing that he didn't point out was the PRICE of the thing, and how little content was available for that price. Even though the content was practically a "Cops & Robbers DLC" for Battlefield 4, they had the gall to make this a separate game for the FULL price of Battlefield 4. In other words, that'd be $60 for the STANDARD edition of Hardline (which, again, only has about HALF of Battlefield 4's total content, for Battlefield 4's FULL opening price), $120 for the Premium Edition, and god alone knows how much more for DLC purchases after that.

Personally, I'm more with Angry Joe in that Hardline should've gone in one of two directions - either pare down the price of Hardline from $60 to about $15-$30, and release it as Battlefield 4 DLC (like how Far Cry: Blood Dragon was DLC for Far Cry 3), or develop Hardline as its own IP, separate from the Battlefield licence, and from the mechanics of Battlefield that clashed with the "Cops & Robbers" theme of the game.

theuprising

Jun 19, 2013
MaddKossack115 said:
Well, I can see Yahtzee enjoyed Hardline more than most other modern First Person Shooters (which isn't saying that much), but one thing that he didn't point out was the PRICE of the thing, and how little content was available for that price. Even though the content was practically a "Cops & Robbers DLC" for Battlefield 4, they had the gall to make this a separate game for the FULL price of Battlefield 4. In other words, that'd be $60 for the STANDARD edition of Hardline (which, again, only has about HALF of Battlefield 4's total content, for Battlefield 4's FULL opening price), $120 for the Premium Edition, and god alone knows how much more for DLC purchases after that.

Personally, I'm more with Angry Joe in that Hardline should've gone in one of two directions - either pare down the price of Hardline from $60 to about $15-$30, and release it as Battlefield 4 DLC (like how Far Cry: Blood Dragon was DLC for Far Cry 3), or develop Hardline as its own IP, separate from the Battlefield licence, and from the mechanics of Battlefield that clashed with the "Cops & Robbers" theme of the game.
By this logic never buy a CoD game again b/c they add bollocks to the multiplayer other than new maps. Stop whining, its been stated in many reviews that BF hardline is a great value cuz you get the new style of multiplayer as well as classic battlefield multiplayer the series is known for.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
This looks like the first Battlefield in a looong time that i might actually enjoy. Amusing that the review was flanked fore and aft with an advert for the very game that was being reviewed...

Hope Yahtzee does Pillars of Eternity in a couple of weeks, RPG or not...

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
When you consider the steady militarization of our police forces, this game makes perfect sense.

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
theuprising said:
MaddKossack115 said:

By this logic never buy a CoD game again b/c they add bollocks to the multiplayer other than new maps. Stop whining, its been stated in many reviews that BF hardline is a great value cuz you get the new style of multiplayer as well as classic battlefield multiplayer the series is known for.
Look, it's not like the game is necessarily bad in quality of content, but in QUANTITY, it just doesn't hold enough to justify a $60-$120 pricetag, especially compared to the content of a game made just a year before it. If this WAS just released as a DLC with some tweaks to gameplay, or given a relative low price of $15-$30, it would be a more fair offer. It's more to counterbalance the "charge more money for less content" strategy that Triple-A gaming has been sticking to these days is all.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
StreamerDarkly said:
GodzillaGuy92 said:
...Or just play a good singleplayer campaign, and get all that stuff up front instead of having to offer up unspecified hours of your life to the Multiplayer Sacrificial Altar.
As always, single player and multiplayer offer very different experiences. It just amazes me how consistently those who worship in the temple of the former will casually dismiss the latter as the food of peasants, unaware of just how similar to religious fundamentalists they sound.
As a longtime fan of both, I think most of these criticisms aren't about hating on multiplayer gameplay overall, but more about the spoon-fed nature of it these days, both in incrementally unlocking stuff only after logging enough hours to 'earn' them, and DLCs that charge extra for new content to stretch out the game, but in doing so split the player base.

I would wager that the people making these complaints come from the era before this one, where every weapon, vehicle etc was available to all right from the start, and add-ons only existed in large expansion packs that generally justified their price tags (but also split the player base)

theuprising

Jun 19, 2013
MaddKossack115 said:
theuprising said:
MaddKossack115 said:

Look, it's not like the game is necessarily bad in quality of content, but in QUANTITY, it just doesn't hold enough to justify a $60-$120 pricetag, especially compared to the content of a game made just a year before it. If this WAS just released as a DLC with some tweaks to gameplay, or given a relative low price of $15-$30, it would be a more fair offer. It's more to counterbalance the "charge more money for less content" strategy that Triple-A gaming has been sticking to these days is all.
But this is a standalone game. Meaning you don't have to have B4 to get the Battlefield large scale battle experience AND get a new game mode on top. If you already have battlefield, that's different, but you are paying full price because you are getting the full package, the same package that someone with no Battlefield has had.

What are you saying that if you buy a sequel it should be discounted if you bought the game before it?

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
theuprising said:
MaddKossack115 said:
theuprising said:
MaddKossack115 said:

But this is a standalone game. Meaning you don't have to have B4 to get the Battlefield large scale battle experience AND get a new game mode on top. If you already have battlefield, that's different, but you are paying full price because you are getting the full package, the same package that someone with no Battlefield has had.

What are you saying that if you buy a sequel it should be discounted if you bought the game before it?
Look, it'd be one thing if Hardline was its standalone game, but the truth is that, overall, it has REDUCED features compared to Battlefield 4, and what new features it DOES add don't make up the difference. Angry Joe called it all out in his video, condemning a "lack of content", "lackluster singleplayer campaign" and "multiplayer modes you're done with in just a few days". Just because the game's in a different setting doesn't make up for all the cut corners, nor would the novelty of "Battlefield, but with COPS AND ROBBERS" by itself make up the cost difference. Now, I really do hope that, if Hardline does do well, they'll add in far more features and an overall better experience in the next installment. But as for right now, I'm not going to put down $60-$120 to get what relatively little there is in the current installment.

theuprising

Jun 19, 2013
MaddKossack115 said:
theuprising said:
MaddKossack115 said:
theuprising said:
MaddKossack115 said:

Look, it'd be one thing if Hardline was its standalone game, but the truth is that, overall, it has REDUCED features compared to Battlefield 4, and what new features it DOES add don't make up the difference. Angry Joe called it all out in his video, condemning a "lack of content", "lackluster singleplayer campaign" and "multiplayer modes you're done with in just a few days". Just because the game's in a different setting doesn't make up for all the cut corners, nor would the novelty of "Battlefield, but with COPS AND ROBBERS" by itself make up the cost difference. Now, I really do hope that, if Hardline does do well, they'll add in far more features and an overall better experience in the next installment. But as for right now, I'm not going to put down $60-$120 to get what relatively little there is in the current installment.
Well no crap, its kind of like the jump b/w Forza 4 to 5, they had to make brand new stuff so you have less content but they worked just as hard it. With your way of thinking everything in the world should be paid by subscriptions so you never overpay for sequels, and just like sub service games, there practically never is large growth or change.

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
theuprising said:
MaddKossack115 said:
theuprising said:
MaddKossack115 said:
theuprising said:
MaddKossack115 said:

Well no crap, its kind of like the jump b/w Forza 4 to 5, they had to make brand new stuff so you have less content but they worked just as hard it. With your way of thinking everything in the world should be paid by subscriptions so you never overpay for sequels, and just like sub service games, there practically never is large growth or change.
...Ok, when did my argument say "everything in the world should be paid by subscriptions so you never overpay for sequels"? I'm just saying that Battlefield: Hardline just didn't bring enough to the table to justify paying a full $60 for the game (and certainly not $120 for the "premium pre-order editions"). If you feel content paying every last dime for the game you brought, I suppose that's fine, but considering the "Pay more for less" problem is all over the industry, there IS going to be no large growth or change if we ignore how much opportunity was missed by Hardline - only the stagnation will come from the gaming industry becoming complacent with releasing new games not much different from the old, not because of any financial restraints (which I assume you were trying to say with the "paid by subscriptions" comment that, frankly, I'm still not getting 100%).