Zero Punctuation: BioShock 2

kronoset

Jan 1, 2009
PayJ567 said:
kronoset said:
PayJ567 said:
kronoset said:
PayJ567 said:
Ha, That was pretty funny review. Still mabye a bioshock prequel would have worked a lot better?
watch Star Wars: Episodes 1 & 2 (and arguably 3), then renounce your foul words cretin!
Excuse me but What the fudge are you talking about. George lucas made 3 fucking shit prequels so by this logic you come to the conclusion that all prequels are shit... Maybe next time you can be less of a Complete Utter Nice Turtle with your argument and logic.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was suggesting that if you make a bad sequel, a prequel is not really going to change anything unless it's developed by a different director. And please do not call me a **** in a subtly concealed way--or any way for that manner; it detracts from your argument. So to correct you, I'd say that a prequel, made by a developer of a bad sequel will most likely NOT be a very good prequel. It doesn't matter when you set something, if the very foundation of the story-telling is bad, then it will continue to be bad until that issue is addressed.
First of all the **** thing was a joke and was regarding the presentation of your argument.
Secondly I was meaning originally there should have been no sequel just a prequel. Learning about the origins and stuff or rapture would be excellent.
Next time maybe present your argument like you just did and I won't mistake you for an idiot as I can now see that you had a good point and you had misunderstood my original point.
Fair enough comrade.

squirrelman42

Dec 13, 2007
combat was improved. Also, why can't people realize that the big sisters aren't random, they only appear after you've dealt with all the little sisters in an area.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Whooo! Another ZP video watched without sound. I'm sure it makes more sense with audio, but I'll have to do that later.

BastyNastard

Mar 3, 2010
In short I liked bioshock 2 because it was good fun crushing the skulls of splicers... I did think that the gathering bit was a pain in the arse but made incredibly easy by adding the trap rivets and later on the trap spears which was pretty much the only thing I bought later on in the game. Comparisson to the first I agree the original was better but thats not what I want to rant about.

At 1:36 you put in the video a tack ontop of the original gamebox and to my utter digust you then stuck the front cover of "The Colour of Magic" paperback to it. (Yes I'm a Pratchett Fanboy) Comparing "Bioshock 2" to "The Colour Of Magic" is like comparing a really large slab of rubbery emmental with its gassy bacteria and gaping holes included to a Strawberry cheesecake made by its first creator after mastering the recipe balancing the mixture of sweet and savoury in perfection. ITS NOT EVEN A SEQUEL! Rincewind, Twoflower and the luggage have cracked me up everytime in "The Colour of Magic" and then again in THE sequel "The Light Fantastic" which isn't the best book but still very good for a casual read, admitedly some books weren't as good as others in the series but without knowing pain and pleasure how can you experience pleasure to its fullest extent. If you are as brilliant as I perhaps think you are, then the appreciation of a good writer shouldn't be beyond you and I cannot understand why you have seemingly at random chosen this book to pin to a game that doesn't really compare. Plenty of other books to choose from all of which would have made a better analogy.

A blot for me on a very entertaining selection of reviews the cod 4 review still makes me laugh.

I do however also understand that the chances of this bleating sheep being heard over the chorus of Yahtzee loving sheeps is unlikely so I won't be expecting a response.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
A very nice review. I agree with how sequels should be, jumping off points instead of "how much money can we get out of this series" crap shoots. For the people who think gameplay makes this a better game than the first I'd have to say that giving a game props on its gameplay means nothing these days since the gameplay for most games is unoriginal and repetitive so that plus bad story = shitty game overrall. At least the first one had a good plot, still had relatively unoriginal gameplay though. Also the prototype being stronger does make sense because that's usually how it is with everything. You make a super badass prototype as kind of a test and then make an inferior version since it's easier to mass produce.

GEAR BOSS

Aug 10, 2009
I agree with what you said about the big sister. I mean, if your not killing the little glorified containers, protecting them while they harvest ADAM, and just saving them before the container-turned-npc goes into the vent, then what reason does the Big Sister have for trying to stick a 4 foot needle down your skull?

Ether way, I liked the game. Good review as always Yahtzee.

cl20

Nov 12, 2009
meh, the problem was that the first game was based partially on the philosophy of ayn rand, that and its atmosphere gave it its charms. By being put into a big daddy suit, although your not such a beast(in terms of health)kinda ruined it for me. Then again im a bioshock fanboy so im gonna finish it anyway :D

Lou

Mar 19, 2009
You revealed a few major plotlines here, good thing I already finished Bioshock 2.

Destriant

Mar 3, 2010
Whose face is that @ 1:07? That guy is used in nearly every review and I will die unfulfilled unless I find out who it is.

PLEAAAAASSSSE!

FlyteBeger

Feb 20, 2010
Phoenix09215 said:
Xombee said:
I haven't played the first Bioshock, so I figured I would just play the second. Sorta how my friend suggested I skip Assassin's Creed and just play the sequel.

Except Bioshock 2 now sounds like rehashed garbage and AC2 actually played better than its predecessor.
To be fair it is a good game... but the first was so good that Bioshock 2 just doesn't live up to the hype

Definetly play the first but don;t put off playing the second one because it is still good... I just felt as though the horror and suspense of the first game isn;t there, after all you're a big daddy with a sweet-ass drill :D You get great satisfaction when drilling a splicer's face... or maybe I'm just violent and psychotic :p
Am I the only person who thought it was better than the hype?
Everyone knew it couldn't be as good as the first and some of the plasmids were extremely overpowered, but the tension is so great! Not the same horror tension, but more like a caring father this time. I loved killing big sisters. I loved protecting the little sisters. I f****** loved being a Big Daddy!

A little short though...

cl20

Nov 12, 2009
well because by transforming them back into girls you render them useless in terms of collecting adam and so futil for lamb.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Uh, do you realise you can skip the little defending bit, even if you want the good ending? You only have to guard the little sisters if you want a little extra ADAM. You can just bring them straight to the vent, ignoring the corpses.

Professor M

Jul 31, 2009
My thoughts exactly. The game seems like one of those direct to dvd film sequels, one of the ones where it seems like a TV episode that's been stretched out to film length just for a cash-in.

The game seemed familiar, but it was clear that something about it was ... off.

Also, totally noticed the quadratic formula there :cool:

Kaleid

Feb 12, 2009
Short take, not as good as the first one but still enjoyable enough. But...

Complaints:
Like the first one it feels like a lite version of SS2, this is my main gripe with both games
No audio occlusion. C'mon even Thief 1 has this, which was a released back in 1998.
It's too OTT actiony, holding the players hands with tips and tricks even though I turned off as much as I could.
Nothing quite as memorable as Sander Cohen and "W.Y.K?".
The camera research friggin sucks. And it doesn't make any sense to automatically receive upgrades after research.
No quick buttons to switch to camera and to previously used weapon.
The scripted feel of the game, like when the little sisters gather Adam or when alarms are set on..
How exactly can remote hacking failure result into player damage?
Add player leaning and walking, even with the lurker plasmid stealth is pretty non-existent
OTT animations especially on with the plasmids
Why won't the AI after at least a bit of time having passed shoot the cameras?

Plusses:
Still a unique setting which I like. Steam punk. And yeah, it's first person.
Even though I complained about the OTT action the big sisters fights can awesomely intense.
Game doesn't seem to remember mouse settings, even after quick load it loses its setting
The music is still very good, as well as is a lot of the voice work.
The levels are often surprisingly open..
New hacking is better
It's still fun to set this and that on fire
Little sister comments can be hilarious, but there should be more of them

EliteFreq

Dec 10, 2008
I do love Bioshock 2, but I agree partly with what you said. I over-look all the possible plot-holes simply because it's a fun game. It's got a the same, immense atmosphere as before but with almost completely different locations. I love the new weapons, hacking and the adjustments made to plasmids and tonics because it changes how you prepare for everything, everything works the same yet differently. While I think the story is lacking in comparison to the original, I also think that Bioshock 2 is more fun.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Well first of Yahtzee this big daddy doesn't have fluorescent lights, his helmet just sort a looks like bomberman's head.

But besides that I liked some of the few changes (Mini games are better, Big Sisters add an extra hurdle to overcome besides the Big Daddy and Plasmids can now charge up for beam attacks, Flame ON!) but don't think I'm praising Bioshock 2, god no this was one of the few reviews I almost completely agreed with.

Bioshock 2 is bad in comparison to it's predecessor. Allot of things simply don't make sense (I also noticed the eating through the helmet thing), are uninteresting or are never explained.

Bioshock 2 would have been allot better if you didn't start AS a Big Daddy Prototype but as the original test subject: Jonny. 2-3 days ahead of him turning in a big Daddy, you could have seen Rapture all sparkling and new, seen it's downfall, partake in the revolts or go rob some banks and THAN have fought Crazy Psychiatrist woman. Would have made the first half of the game enjoyable.

Besides that Rapture all leaky doesn't have the same feel as it first did. It was a new world seen from an outsiders view, here we play a BD which is one of Raptures inhabitant which takes a bit away from the atmosphere and awe. Like I already said seeing the Fall of Rapture would have helped to usher back in that feeling of awe.

I found about 6 audiotapes going on about Jonny Topside (You, the player before turning into BD) a lone sailor who managed to get to Rapture using only a submarine and a pile of Luck and basically turned into Raptures hero, it's beacon from the surface shining hope.

Now that is a good hero character, he is daring, charismatic, has a VOICE and personality we would all be willing to get behind.

But maybe they saved that for Bioshock 3. But still if I hadn't run into a 25$ Bioshock 2 copy I would have probably let it slip for AC2 and many other games draining my wallet.