Zero Punctuation: Brink

Frawns

Oct 1, 2008
Hah!

Nice show yahtz!

I sadly agree with you... Damn I was really looking foward to Brink.

Eveonline100

Feb 20, 2011
Numachuka said:
ProfessorLayton said:
... wasn't there a single player mode as well? Because if there was, then Yahtzee just broke his own rule of not judging a game by multiplayer alone...
The single player is the multiplayer with bots. Or the multiplayer is the single player with retards. Which ever way you choose.
your screwed but considering that totalbiscut more or less likes the game very much as you can see here
edit: my link didn't link but just google WTF is Brink to find it

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Does Yahtzee even read these? Ah well, post anyway.

Quake 3 was all the same thing, single and multi player, and it's still one of the better shooters to come out. Like Serious Sam, see moving object, shoot moving object.

Brink is just see moving object, shoot moving object whilst doing a backflip with a selection of weapons specific to a certain class.

Unlocks.. It's funny, there's a post on a forum for a game. Universe Sandbox I think it's called, where the person refused to play the game because there's no achievements. This person, like most, seems to be unable to feel they're accomplishing anything or made the right decision unless someone tells them so. It's like how a gal refuses to accept she's beautiful unless you tell her every single second, upon which time you stop being friends "because friends don't say that" and if you don't say it then obviously she's ugly and you hate her and I need a drink. 'devolves into drunken ranting for the next twelve hours'

And another thing.. lol

Blame CoD/Halo for cluttering up our shiny, unadorned FPS's with unlocks, experience progression and achievements. Actually there's a really cool video.. The Overachiever.. 'googles'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vis4qX7VA30

So that's why the games of nowadays require you to unlock everything instead of simply finding various objects lying around and promptly trying to kill a moving object with it.

Tele kills ftw. ^ ^

Fun times..

We need something to tell us that we're doing good, that we've achieved greatness rather than simply wasted our time shooting someones avatar from across the sea in the head for the last hour whilst questioning the legitimacy of a persons birth and posturing that the circumstances actually involved a donkey, an army barracks and copious amounts of alcohol. Possibly also a video camera and oh look, could this be her?

Then too, people like immersion. "Why isn't there a female selection for Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword/CoD/Sims/wtf/go away noob/etc". We like building a character and inhabiting the world. Otherwise Morrowind wouldn't have acquired near as many hours of gametime. You could spend days inside the game and still not be any closer to the main quest. Although within a month you'd pretty much be overlord and ready to declare a revolution. Too bad they never let you do that.. Control of a house, mages guild, fighters guild, thieves guild and assassins guild should give you enough power to take on the emperor. And I'm getting sidetracked again..

Try playing the game merely to enjoy the game. Play as a certain class and find different ways to kill people and complete objectives. Don't make it into a vid, since we would then hate you for capitulating and being nice.

And if there's anything we learned from Black Books and Pride and Prejudice, it's that cynics will always be adored by the population.

Although don't do it to your friends or you'll be viewed much the same as an ingame medic is.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
aqva12391 said:
The question needs to be asked, why was there a NIKE sign on the butterfly wings :p.
Nike released a parkour selection of shoes. Completely useless for which, but you know, brandnames. Brink is Parkour is Nike. Although Swatch did a better commercial with parkour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm5sZqmb5ao

Manwat

May 28, 2011
Ddgafd said:
2. Same as yahtzee, I have trouble iding enemies sometimes. Luckily security tends to have a 'clean' look to them, while the resistance has a 'punk' look so it kind of helps. But all the same, there have been times where both myself and my enemy actually stopped firing and stared for a minute trying to figure out if we were team fragging. AND some servers do -ve xp for team damage/kills.
Man, I don't get this: I've seen several reviews saying it's hard to ID teammates/enemies. I actually got alittle pissed off at first because each team was tinted a specific color. For the most part the most important thing to recognize on an enemy is what build (how much health they have) and what weapon they're equipped with (spinning minigun or GL in a hallway = RUN). Each class has access to the same weapons, meaning if you're a medic you can still kill a soldier,

I'll be interested in seeing what the new abilities do and maybe if there will be some branching in play style; since it boils down to body type. If I'm heavy I don't have the ability to run from fights, so drum mags for long fights, and one of the heavy weapons. If I'm light, run more than you shoot (I know I know, cheesy but it works), if you go around the corner and don't like it? Parkour out of there, do a 180, whatever you can and go for a flank. For the most part classes just tend to be the icing on the cake, making one class very similar. But it works, I've rarely felt that a class is useless, even when it's not needed for primary mission objectives.

Operatives ironsight targets which reveals them to your entire team, even through walls. Engineers set up landmines and turrets to slow down enemies flanking you or taking down secondary objs. Assaults let you be alittle less scroogy with your bullets (especially if you're using a rifle that starts with maybe 2.5 magazines worth of bullets?). Medics make it so you're not hiding in corners after every firefight.

Brink: Yeah it's got problems but it's a fun game. More maps will extend it's life, preferably ones that have you fighting back and forth through maps since that lets you see just how big the map is. For example: There is a map where the whole mission the security is pushing forward and the last stage is the security attempting to bring the intel back to where they started the mission. Alot of times this stage just becomes one or two security running full out, while resistance races to keep up and get ahead of them.

I like it: I like TF2 *take a shot* as well.

Matt Burnell

May 28, 2011
I bought Brink two days before release based on the recommendation of a friend. I wasn't personally exposed to the hype, so went into the game with no expectations. Overall I've been very disappointed. Yahtzee nailed most of the problems straight up. Being able to tell who is on your team is critical in a team-based game, even more so when a couple of shots kill and friendly fire is enabled. If you haven't had trouble determining which team people are on at some point in more or less every game then you're either playing against the bots or are playing against a group of humans who have implemented some kind of sensible uniform system. For the people saying "the game rewards cooperation, not kills", no, it rewards spamming your abilities for XP, irrespective of whether this aids your team in reaching their objectives or not. I spent about 20 hours deciding if I liked the game or not, ultimately deciding it was pretty bad. I'd not have felt too bad if it cost me $30 or $40 (which, based on the amount of content in it, would be more than fair), but for $90, I feel pretty ripped off.

I wondered if it was just me feeling this way about the game, so I took note of how many of my friends were playing Brink through Steam. In the first few days / first week, lots of people were playing. Now? No one. It's already dead.

Ophidian

May 26, 2010
I was fully expecting him to say "So in conclusion...TEAM FORTRESS TEAM FORTRESS TEAM FORTRESS TEAM FORTRESS TEAM FORTRESS TEAM FORTRESS."

Thesreyn

Jul 18, 2008
Attention nerds and those who follow Yahtzee religiously!

It is time for us all to stand up and make it known that any game similar to a game that has come before it is ONLY THE GAME THAT CAME BEFORE IT, regardless of innovation!

All first person shooters are now Doom.

All puzzle games are now Zork.

All adventure games are now Donkey Kong.

All space games are now Space Invaders.

etc.

Hopefully, by introducing this law, we can leave all previously good elements of video games out of new games and thereby FORCE NEW AND INNOVATIVE IDEAS upon developers! If they aren't allowed to use previous ideas, they MUST COME UP WITH NEW IDEAS FOR EVERY ASPECT OF EVERY GAME!

I propose that we begin by boycotting any console shooter that uses two control sticks. I would suggest that we recommend they use buttons for aiming, but that was done by Perfect Dark and Golden Eye, so how about some system where pressing the right trigger and holding it looks up, double tapping and holding looks down and we do the same for the left trigger only one press and hold for right and the double tap and hold for left.

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
I have to say while I do agree with quite a few points Yahtzee brings up, I'm still personally having a metric ton of fun playing the game. It's a far better multiplayer shooter than many I've played, and it does things that TotalBiscuit [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zDpaQPoEI] nailed on the head.

It gives multiplayer context. This is why I think suggestions like "Deathmatch!" or "Capture the Flag!" are utter nonsense, because it doesn't give any true story-oriented context as to what the players are playing for. That's also why I'm probably going to hold onto playing Brink longer than I've held onto playing any Halo or Call of Duty multiplayer, because playing Brink online has a greater feeling of purpose.

All this does come at the expense of what I think is a fantastic premise/story - they should have spent far more time turning those set pieces into something that a player could immerse themselves into, making maps and palettes something worthwhile to solo like what the regular shooters these days do. Yes, the singleplayer is vestigial and lacking, and as an entirety Brink probably isn't worth a full-price game.

But what's there as a complete thing to offer, is something that needs to be done more often. (Also, I preordered Brink about 2 months early and paid less than 50 bucks for it. I'm pretty damn happy with how it turned out for me.)

And also, Splash Damage/Bethesda are giving out a humongous pack of DLC for free. I think that's pretty freakin' generous of them, considering the huge cashgrab that has been the objective of nearly every publishing company these days.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
My problem with this video? Bethesda didnt make it! I cant stand when the PUBLISHER gets credit (good OR bad) for a game they didnt actually develope. Bethesda did not make Brink, nor did EA make Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age...
Otherwise thats it.

face_head_mouth

Sep 16, 2010
Hyakunin Isshu said:
Another awful review!

Croshaw, I'm telling you this as a human: You SUCK! You're just a Attention Whore. It's really sad that Escapist Magazine can't see that you're not funny anymore. You're just as boring as South Park.
God, your whining would be cute if it weren't so pathetic. Haven't you got anything better to
do than make the same post over and over?

Oh, that's right: you do make that other post sometimes too. You know, the one where you rage about how gaming technology doesn't yet support your vision of 10,000 ninja cyborgs destroying a city with every house having individual working fridges. Followed by 500 Youtube links to physics engine demonstrations.

I'll take Croshaw's excessive grumpiness and nitpicking over what you represent any day of the week.

Hyakunin Isshu

May 2, 2011
xdiesp said:
Hyakunin Isshu said:
As ZP would say: go back to Croshaw and Deep Throat him! LOL
"Bad man who badmouths my favorite toy I'm coming for YOU!"
OK OK!! I'm sorry! Don't ban me! I'm just in a bad mood, and people should tell Croshaw when he is being bad.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
I'm not sure if I like this game or not.

I've enjoyed it enough to put thirty hours into it, but the majority of that time has been incredibly laggy and is really taking away from the experience. I'm playing it on the PC too, which is supposed to be doing much better than the console versions.

Brink is the only game I seem to have a problem with as well, all my other games run smoothly...