Zero Punctuation: Broken Age: Act 2

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Metalix Knightmare said:
irishda said:
I eagerly await the massive threads that will constantly pop up in the Gaming Industry forum for the next several years about how Tim Schafer is a lying con artist who steals Kickstarter money from hapless dupes who know not what they do, and that he's destroying the games industry.

Oh wait. They won't. Instead, as another commenter has helpfully pointed out, this is still Sarkeesian's fault somehow.
Careful with that argument there. It's so full of straw a spark would set it up in flames.
Sarkeesian's misinformed opinions, and the people who take subjective, biased and limited analysis as fact, have a lot to answer for. As do the endless jackasses who do nothing with their time but attempt to "Rebuke" a subjective opinion rather then simply putting forward a different opinion.

Double fine's inability to develop games in a timely and frugal fashion isn't one of them. I think that has to do more with Tim spending all his funding on candy and trying to create a timeline while in a near terminal sugar high.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Dalisclock said:
RJ Dalton said:
I guess it's safe to say that your hard-on for Tim Shafer has worn off, right?

This was a Tim Shafer project, wasn't it? I think I remember hearing that somewhere once. Possibly in the last review.

Am I spelling Shafer correctly?
Considering he doesn't mention Shafer at all, you could say the honeymoon is over. Now Yathzee will have to find a new love interest, because marrying Saints Row 2 probably isn't legal in Australia yet.
Isn't he already married to Silent Hill 2? Nothing will beat Silent Hill 2.

irishda said:
I eagerly await the massive threads that will constantly pop up in the Gaming Industry forum for the next several years about how Tim Schafer is a lying con artist who steals Kickstarter money from hapless dupes who know not what they do, and that he's destroying the games industry.
Oh wait. They won't. Instead, as another commenter has helpfully pointed out, this is still Sarkeesian's fault somehow.
Sorry to burst your bubble but nobody blames Sarkessian for things that happen in games, just call out her/Mcintosh's bullshit when they spout it. Besides the fact that shes an attention whore com artist she's pretty harmless. A joke basically.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I totally forgot about this game even WAS a two-parter! Shows what I know. And what Double Fine thinks of finishing games in a timely manner.

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
Tim Schafer seems to be hell bent on getting us to all agree with Bobby Kotick and if that was his intention, he's doing a great job.

seriously Tim Schafer and double fine have burnt all the goodwill and fanboy love I had for them, I no longer trust them to deliver a quality fun game, I no longer WANT to see Psychonauts 2 because I'm confident they will mess it up somehow and ruin the glory of the first game.
and as much as I love being able to play Grim Fandango again, they could have done so much more with the updated port to make it playable on modern systems.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
MC1980 said:
The saddest part about all this is that Bobby Kotick was right about Schaffer.

captcha:skynet knows. Even the fictional AI fucking knew.
right there!
and thanks for making my day better! :D

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
I guess it's safe to say that your hard-on for Tim Shafer has worn off, right?

This was a Tim Shafer project, wasn't it?
Tim Schafer, spelled with a 'c'. Yes that's him.

Actually a lot of his projects went massively overbudget, which is why industry suits don't have the same hard-on for him that his fans have. It's a good thing he finished, he's spent way more than 3.5 million on several games.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Oh, the honeymoon is *SO* over with me and Tim. I had such high hopes for part 2, since 1 was going pretty well...but ya. there is no culture shock. there's nothing. Shay has no problems being able to interact with strange new people constantly...vella doesn't ever 'stop' with the 'kill the mogs!' mindset...I haven't finished the game yet, since I'm LPing it, but the latest puzzle I solved made me so angry that I just had to STOP for a bit...I'm even shifting my upload schedule so I will get it done FASTER and not have to play it anymore.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
TheBigOne0305 said:
inu-kun said:
Another thing that bothered me about the game, when you play as Shay everytime you hear about Vella she's pictured as some divine entity who helped everyone in her way and is completely infallible and pure and kind etc. (except the tree).

Every time you hear about Shay while playing Vella he's portrayed as bumbling completely helpless idiot, even by his mother! Can we get more double standard?!
I have played neither part 1 nor part 2 (only seen some videos of part 1), but this sounds like a prime example of the Guybrush Paradox:
[https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B320XBWCEAARjSJ.jpg]
I only dropped by to say thank you for the picture added to your post.
Was a great read.

What bugged me the most is that i noticed i felt uncomfortable when i imagined switched genders on Guybrush and Elaine. That took me by suprise.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Spot1990 said:
inu-kun said:
Another thing that bothered me about the game, when you play as Shay everytime you hear about Vella she's pictured as some divine entity who helped everyone in her way and is completely infallible and pure and kind etc. (except the tree).

Every time you hear about Shay while playing Vella he's portrayed as bumbling completely helpless idiot, even by his mother! Can we get more double standard?!
WhiteNachos said:
Wait so you AREN'T willing to claim to know exactly what the developers were thinking when they made the game? Well you aren't going to fit into the social justice crowd then, I'll tell you that much.
irishda said:

Does every thread have to devolve into GG vs SJWs and vice versa? Come on guys. I get that that particular issue gets people all worked up but can't we occassionally not be divided along those lines. For instance when you have to go out of your way to bring it up?
Yeah it was kind of uncalled for.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
After watching your Ego Reviews on YouTube Yahtzee, I'm actually kinda curious as to what you'd come up with if given 3.5 million dollars to develop and adventure game.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I've said it before but it bears repeating: You know who really ought to be taking up the mantle of making adventure games? Valve. Their development cycle of "roll out a prototype quickly, then playtest the hell out of it and keep tweaking stuff until people run out of things to complain about" would be a perfect fit for a genre that runs on logic puzzles, where sometimes it requires trial and error to determine if they hit the sweet spot of intuitive-but-challenging. It would also give their writers something to actually do while the artists and programmers are busy making TF2 hats and developing their new engine, respectively.

canadamus_prime said:
After watching your Ego Reviews on YouTube Yahtzee, I'm actually kinda curious as to what you'd come up with if given 3.5 million dollars to develop and adventure game.
He used to make adventure games; look up "Five Days a Stranger" if you're interested and can spare several not-necessarily-consecutive hours playing it. He also made three sequels, which I never got around to playing. Anyway, I suppose he'd probably just make something like that, but with better graphics and hopefully (given his love for Valve, see above) lots of time spent in playtesting.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Steve the Pocket said:
canadamus_prime said:
He used to make adventure games; look up "Five Days a Stranger" if you're interested and can spare several not-necessarily-consecutive hours playing it. He also made three sequels, which I never got around to playing. Anyway, I suppose I can point to those and say "pretty much that, but with better graphics."
Or 'that again, but with him now owning a private yacht,' depending on how much of a dick he was feeling at the time. They were fine games, and actually had puzzles that made some form of sense, unlike a game with TELEPATHIC ROBOT REWIRING.

Edit: Much rage typos. Fixed now.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
I totally forgot about this game even WAS a two-parter! Shows what I know. And what Double Fine thinks of finishing games in a timely manner.
At least they're faster than Valve.

Kardsymalone

Oct 6, 2014
Someone should tell Yahtzee that the story was literally made up as they went along and it seems that no one bothered to try and iron out any of the numerous plot holes or try to write a decent story in the first place you think they would spend those 1.5 years really working on that story instead of slapping something together lazily.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Soulrender95 said:
\I no longer WANT to see Psychonauts 2 because I'm confident they will mess it up somehow and ruin the glory of the first game.
Yeah, I suspect that Psychonauts 2 will be released in 3 parts(because that was the plan all along, which will be said around the time the first part releases but not before) and each one will have a successively longer gap between them, disappointing everyone even more.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
canadamus_prime said:
Well, there was a rumor for a while that 5 days a stranger would be remade in first person. Nothing ever came of it, but I suspect we'd see something like that.

Personally, I'd just be happy with a version of 7 days a Skeptic that isn't rife with plot holes, characters who are completely annoying and useless and isn't just the first game on a spaceship. Watching the Ego Review for that just reminded me how it's the worst game in the series by far. I'm kind of disappointed he didn't savage it as much as he does some other games when they did the Ego review.

Rather a shame, because the last two games in the series are much better and, IMHO, fairly creepy.