Zero Punctuation: Brutal Legend

Blt3200

Oct 5, 2009
hmm i like this game but he does point out some things that i didnt like about it but i like the free romming car aspect but he has his opnion and i have mine =D

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Ziren said:
Abedeus said:
Darrkon Fearlock said:
Not to try and destroy Yahtzee's point with the RTS thing, but after the game came out Tim Schafer came out and said not to play it like an RTS and to play it more like a hack and slash with RTS elements. Like you should be down there a fair bit with your guys, you just need to replenish them every once in a while.
You know that you failed if you have to explain how to play your game to GAMERS. Because people playing games 10+ years (or 15+, what the hell) are usually considered gamers.
Did you know that some of the best chess players in the world do extremely bad at fairy chess? It's because they're too familiar with concepts they already know and unable to adapt to something different. And that's exactly the problem that your sort of "gamers" has with Brütal Legend.
Awesome, don't care. Probably because those chess players don't find out half-way through that their chess became cards and they are playing poker.

Some of you might not "get" the game, the same way I can't "get" Starcraft or any sports game ever made, but you should at least try it out if you can borrow it from a friend before you pass your judgement.
...Sports game? Oh.

KjellKanon

Aug 6, 2009
Seems this game isn't all it was hyped up to be. I guess I'll wait for it to drop in price before shelling out for it.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
It saddens me greatly that nobody draws the comparison to the PC game Sacrifice. That is what the "RTS" portion of the game felt like down to the letter, but instead of being useless in combat (aside from spells), you can hit things with your guitar.

Any fan of Sacrifice will feel at home here and will probably realize that there is actually an >intense< level of micromanagement and strategy involved here, as was the case in Sacrifice.

The problem is that most people don't understand this. The idea that it's a watered down zerg fest is only true because that's how you play it. I don't play it like that and it isn't like that.

Samoftherocks

Oct 4, 2008
Gutterpunk said:
It was fun to play a sandbox game that wasn't about Being A Guy With A Gun In A World Of Many Guns. I'll take being a Roadie anytime over being a Tough Lone Soldier or yet another Gansta'.
That's one of the reasons I picked BL over Borderlands, though I do appreciate them kickin' out the jambs and allowing players to make whatever fucked up gun they want.

awatkins

Oct 17, 2008
The Absolute best part of this review was when yatzee threw a bucket full of 'Mouse Trap' parts at the dog, Soly Hucking Fhit I giggled blood out of my nose.

xscoot

Sep 8, 2009
Well, at least he made a lot of money from it, so he can use that money and reputation to make a good game that does sell, not one or the other.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Abedeus said:
You know that you failed if you have to explain how to play your game to GAMERS. Because people playing games 10+ years (or 15+, what the hell) are usually considered gamers.
I don't know about that, I found it quite refreshing actually. It was nice playing a game that doesn't hold your hand, and required the gamer to figure things out for themselves. It brought back memories of when all games were like that... good times.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I shelled out for the game mainly because I wanted to support Double Fine and if this game doesn't sell at least a piddling amount there's a pretty good chance we won't see Psychonauts 2...

I played this game 1 (one) day and found the rock references all very cool and interesting, but I have to say that I haven't bothered booting it up again since I smelled a hint of RTS in the mix.

I'm not saying RTS suck, it's just they have a tendency to suck a lot of time out of me for what I would deem to be a not particularly satisfactory return. Order units to be built, order units to move where they will kill or be killed, repeat until that which needs killing is killed, repeat for several hours for each map - this is the RTS, minus the obvious focus on applying strategy, but perhaps I omitted that simply because most RTS don't have enough of it.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
This review doesn't really deter me from wanting to at least try Brütal Legend.
Especially since the RTS aspects sound a wee bit like Sacrifice (being right smack in the middle of it and all).

Virtual_Dom

Jul 3, 2009
I hope he reviews uncharted 2

Anyway his reviews seem to be losing their spark since his voice seems to be a very tiring and "i don't want to be here voice"

at least thats what I think. Go back to the voice of the 2008 era; that very sharp iritated voice I liked.

hortonamos7

Aug 12, 2009
Darrkon Fearlock said:
Not to try and destroy Yahtzee's point with the RTS thing, but after the game came out Tim Schafer came out and said not to play it like an RTS and to play it more like a hack and slash with RTS elements. Like you should be down there a fair bit with your guys, you just need to replenish them every once in a while.
What the hell does "play it like a hack and slash with RTS elements" mean? That's the biggest nonsense I have ever heard. And, if the game designer has to tell me how I am supposed to play, he clearly failed in some regard. Shouldnt the game just be designed to be played a certain way? Or, if it's going to be a true sandbox game, shouldn't it be fun to play in multiple ways?

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
MR T3D said:
nice to see someone not drooling over it, and it seems like a pretty good review
1st to actually wathc it, then post?
lol congratz...

Nice to know Yahtzee also sits in a chair when he is recording(at a point in the video you can hear him reclining or declining as the case may be) I had a feeling for awhile he did this while standing in a small room that resembles a recording studio.

Sadly I have never played Mousetrap, only seen the boxes of it at walmart.. ACtually I have to thank this review, the talk of walk around and find things made me want to go back to Fallout 3.

Fallopian_Faust

Oct 12, 2009
Fronzel said:
Fallopian_Faust said:
He does occasionally make some good points, but his reviews are rants that usually only focus on the negative aspects of a game for sheer entertainment value.
There's undoubtably an entertainment angle here, but that doesn't mean he has no points to make. The negative is arguably what needs the most attention, and Yahtzee himself said that he felt a critic's function was to help art improve, and you improve by correcting error (this was in a ZP video, but I sadly can't recall which one).

Fallopian_Faust said:
I find "professional reviewer" to be an oxymoron as it is. When you get down to it, it's just some schlob's opinion that is no more relevant than anyone else's.
And no LESS relevant, as well.
He does more blasting than helpful critiquing, which is fine from an entertainment standpoint.

The relevance we're talking about varies depending on how much someone cares about another's opinion. I think just spending 5 bucks down at blockbuster and experiencing the game for yourself and coming to your own conclusion is better than any review can hope to be.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
I'm a bit hesitant to buy that one now. Sounds like he gave it a pretty fair review though, I was expecting him to just dismiss it as an RTS.

Kilgorn

Jul 1, 2009
well this review puts everyhing in perspective and explains what i was feeling after beating brutal legend.
Right after beating deviculous in the duel it dawned on me that that was the only real boss fight in the game(excluding the worm-thing), and that every encounter with a powerful character was an RTS battle.
I really wish there were a better story, and now im hopig for some DLC that i would gladly pay at least $20 for an actual hack-n-slash campagin with boss fights like pyschonauts,which i never played, but now i defintly think i should