Zero Punctuation: Bulletstorm

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
My favorite line in there would have to be, "Now, drop the net, hit him with sticks!" I have to disagree with his review of the gameplay though. Maybe I'm just better than him, but even on hard I spent very little time hiding behind walls. As long as they died before I did I was fine. And kicking an exlpoding bouncy ball was a blast (pun not intended).

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Dear Escapist,

Your fill-the-screen ad has once again flubbed up my ability to actually watch the video, as it tries to effectively play two of the same video at once and out of synch. Please advertise some other way.

cke

Jun 20, 2010
Wolfram01 said:
Wait just one second... Bulletstorm has single player?
What? You mean you only played the awfully boring MP? You sad, sad person...

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Smeagol150 said:
Entertaining review, but I believe Bulletstorm is not supposed to be thought about very hard.
But the story does quite the opposite.
Perfect review that actually makes constructive criticism about the game and is quite funny too.
The above line is what bulletstorm should have been.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Yeah, the game got bogged down with setpieces and story at times during the campaign when you're just itching to try out that new drill launcher you just bought. The multiplayer mode takes that nonsense away and is all about killing dudes in high scoring ways but the lack of communication (sure, you COULD get a headset but nobody does!) and the terrible netcode (Unreal Engine 3 does its best by making it nearly impossible to hit anything when the lag kicks in) take their toll on it.

I never felt a need to stick to cover though (I think I played on Hard, even), you won't die unless every ************ in the whole place gets to take pot shots at you and even then you'll last quite a while. Since the slide is about on par with Vanquish's rocket slide it's easy to run into cover, wait for the red pulsing to go away (health seems to go from zero to full instantly once it starts healing) and get back to making pricked shishkebabs. In MP it's even less problematic because even if you manage to die any other player can revive you instantly with a boot to the head.

Also if you think lining up multiple enemies in the campaign is hard you haven't seen multiplayer where even if you get them lined up some fuckwit on the other end of the map will leash one of them away.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Aiddon said:
I was hoping he'd praise, but ya can't win every time. I still had fun with it. Admittedly I wish they just went into full-blown parody mode instead of trying to act serious; did I mention that this was written by a comic book writer?
This is as close to praise as he ever gets. This review perfectly sums up what I think of the game which is definitely a 1st.

archvile93 said:
My favorite line in there would have to be, "Now, drop the net, hit him with sticks!" I have to disagree with his review of the gameplay though. Maybe I'm just better than him, but even on hard I spent very little time hiding behind walls. As long as they died before I did I was fine.
I played it on easy because I'm a pansy and being able to run around without worrying whether or not I'll die certainly made the game more fun.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Yahtzee my man, did Bulletstorm cause you to rape people after you played it? I heard that was a possible side-effect.

Thedarkness77

Oct 24, 2010
I agree with yahzee on this one, I miss the shooters of yesterday. Bullettorm is a step in the right direction thought.

Chucktanium

Jul 11, 2010
Brutally honest as usual. I would never get tired of the dialogue though, no matter how immature it got

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Its called "kill with skill", and a high skill requirement is guaranteed to make Yahtzee very unhappy.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Wasn't the Brisbane Mana bar publicising this like there was no tomorrow" (the game, I mean)

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
cke said:
Wolfram01 said:
Wait just one second... Bulletstorm has single player?
What? You mean you only played the awfully boring MP? You sad, sad person...
Huh? Why would I play Bulletstorm?* You play Bulletstorm? You sad, sad person...

*sarcasm.

But seriously I've never played it and never care to.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
This game seems like it's a missing link between Doomlike and CODlike shooters. I totally agree with some rather strange gameplay merging that just didn't really click right in this game. For example the basic/primary gun that's the only thing you have for the first 30-60 minutes doesn't really offer that much variety in killing and not only that but the thing seems too imprecise to actually do some stuff without luck, for example shooting an enemy in his neck. Not only that, but most of the time enemies attack in bulk or can shoot you from far away, but in that case you'll most likely die unless you use your weapons in most effective way possible.

Plus - damn you UDK, that makes all games look the same even though it's a powerfull modern engine!

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Konata Star said:
Yahtzee is by far the best reviewer on the web. I also agree with what was said about Bullet Storm. It was alright, not amazing.
Yeah, I think it was the FOX News hype that got me all excited

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Didn't think this game would fail but at the same time the developer trolling in search of publicity made me think they were over compensating for something.

I may check this out when its in the 40 dollar range.