Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - G.I. Joe Villain Kevin Spacey

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - G.I. Joe Villain Kevin Spacey

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

Watch Video

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
So basically COD continues to only innovate in small ways that have little impact and once again the plot sounds like a James Bond film without any of the charm.

Same old same old eh?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
In accordance to the credits this week, I only have one thing to say:

f

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
The Batman singularity. I myself don't see it but it does get my imagination moving.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
All I can say is.

"60 bloody Euros?!?"

Seriously. They have the cheek to try and sell this for 60 Euros. I wouldn't buy this for 30 Euros.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Does anyone else here now REALLY REALLY want to play Call of Duty vs. Pinhead?

That sounds fantastic. Especially if you get to play as Pinhead.

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
Note: this is coming from a person who has an on-off/love-hate relationship with CoD games
Annoyance with Yahtzee firing shots at the U.S aside, the video was funny (Batman singularity has to become a thing) and at least he damned the game with faint praise.......
Then again, after the trainwreck that was Ghosts, anything else is preferable.......

In multiplayer news, most people I've talked to and/or watched on youtube seem to say it's better than other CODs multiplayer, if only because the jetpacks and boost function makes the game a bit more twitch-shooty......

Roger

Apr 28, 2013
We lost a great sheep today. His sacrifices must never be forgotten.

Press F to baaa.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
I'm surprised you didn't point out that Just Cause 2 was doing the grappling hook thing four years ago...

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
I wait all year for Yahtzee's epic takedown of the COD franchise. However, I must agree that this one is not entirely awful, for some reason. That is to say: it is not racist, xenophobic or incredibly dumb, aside from that one much-mocked funeral scene. Kevin Spacey is a great actor; even with material this bad he hams it up and is a joy to watch.

And believe it or not, there is an actual female character this time! well, it is nice to see that they are acknowledging that women exist. The character of Gideon is not half-bad either. Of course he turns out to be a good guy in the end, because why would you make the biblical reference if you were just going to turn him bad? Though, this technique could have worked as a plot twist, that level of subtlety is far beyond the COD franchise, still.

F

Jan 27, 2011
As much as I'd like to just leave an "F" as the only thing in this comment to show that I really enjoyed the video, I'd rather not risk incurring the wrath of Mod.

Still I'm surprised to get a review of CoD from Yatzee that isn't overly tired, cynical and disgusted. Is he just getting used to it, or is it actually better than most of the other games?

Captha: "call me" 0_0 Oh God. The captcha wants me to date it. What the hell.

And if the captha's real name is "duty" then we're gonna have a problem. XD

rutcommapat2013

Oct 1, 2013
I'm interested by the presence of the Assassin's Creed line graph at 4:45, and how the line after Black Flag ends up crashing into the floor. It's looking like the Unity review will be brutal.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I too will leave an F because in addition to the usual chuckles, I see what he did with Commander Lambchops there at the end. Let nothing go to waste and all that, he made sure the departed officer was posthumously more useful than most of the gadgets you use a single time.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I like to think that the single player campaign is really just an elaborate tutorial level for them multiplayer.

Jan 27, 2011
rutcommapat2013 said:
I'm interested by the presence of the Assassin's Creed line graph at 4:45, and how the line after Black Flag ends up crashing into the floor. It's looking like the Unity review will be brutal.
Were you expecting anything other than a brutal smackdown of that game? XD

The sad thing is that from what I hear, it does a lot of things right and does a lot if nifty little things here and there, but the piss-poor performance kills any chance it had to be good. :(

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
I bought the game for a less than retail value so I won't be sobbing over lost moneta. And the multi-player just made me depressing. Everything was grey and brown and looks like some map designer was taking lithium carbonate during the development.

And furthermore, I am surprised it wasn't alt + F4 that Yahtzee mentioned in his review.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
I like how the game introduces Power Armor where you're able to take on multiple dudes with the strength of 15x men ...
Only to be trapped and watch as one of your strongest allies (a very skilled female character wearing one) struggle against a single dude who's not wearing Power Armor in hand-to-hand combat.
You know, when I heard about that scene, I half expected them to be showing off how skillful the attacker was in using the opponents strength against her, As a fighting game fan, I'm kinda used to seeing this kinda thing like when Massive Half Naked Russian men get thrown around and their ass handed to them by a school-girl half their size.

Needless to say, I found the scene kinda disappointing and the fight wasn't even all that good, if it was like the climax of an action movie levels, I would be able to look past the massive plot holes but NOPE!
I know they needed the extra budget to pay for Kevin Spacey's face but it's just one of several small things that bug me about the writing in that game.

Like how you just so happen to lose your arm at the start of the game right as your friend has their arm stuck in a door, I feel like they missed out on having YOU plant the bomb there and dramatically have to tear your own arm off to avoid getting killed.
Granted, it would result in the entire funeral scene being cut but just think how much more awesome the first half an hour of the game would be then.
You wouldn't even need to change the plot all that much, just instead of:

Irons: You served with my son. Want a Job and a Bionic Arm?

to

Irons: HOLY SHIT BALLS THAT WAS BADASS! WANT A JOB AND A BIONIC ARM!? XD

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Alarien said:
Does anyone else here now REALLY REALLY want to play Call of Duty vs. Pinhead?

That sounds fantastic. Especially if you get to play as Pinhead.
No, the real money will roll in with Call of Duty vs. Battlefield. Instead of duelling for consumer dollars they can slug it out more directly, white protagonist to white protagonist, only no one will be able to tell the winner as he emerges from the wreckage, as even he will have forgotten due to brain damage from a bullet graze.

Edit: vvvv Wavelength?