Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - G.I. Joe Villain Kevin Spacey

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Absimilliard said:
...he might be waiting until Unity is actually finished.
In that case he will be waiting until well after the singularity emerges from dark space to consume us all.

Getting back on topic...

Good review as always. I myself have played this entry and going from an overall stance of absolute shite on toast in ghosts to just meh is not only an impressive jump but it is also the highest that these games have ever been since MW2.

And while MW3 did the big suit and the end bit as well they didn't have anti-personnel swarm missiles or anti-tank unguided rockets or unlimited ammo for the heavy machine gun you are using or the ability to breathe underwater so it is a COMPLETELY different thing! /s

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Dalisclock said:
Alarien said:
Does anyone else here now REALLY REALLY want to play Call of Duty vs. Pinhead?

That sounds fantastic. Especially if you get to play as Pinhead.
I was thinking more of CoD: Dark Corners of the Earth. Either set it in the 1920's/1930's or make it a delta green style setting, and at the end, the player gets eaten by Cthulhu. Because at this point, why the hell not?

Bonus points if Peter Dinklage voices Cthulhu.
After Destiny, I'd give Peter Dinklage bonus points if he never does any voice acting ever again.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
Do you stay on Kevin Spacey's side? I mean he is your surrogate father, a bit loyalty should be expected.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Bindal said:
May I ask, what kind of problem people have with the whole "Press F"-thing? It is quite literally just "Press <use-key> to interact and continue" - SINCE WHEN DID THAT BECOME A BAD THING? Because it's Call of Duty doing it (despite the fact it did it a lot previously), am I right? Yes, I am.
It's just that, it's so random to get that message. Why "Press F to pay respects"? Why not just "press F"? Or to do a less ambiguous action like "press F to salute"? It sounds like a parody of videogame interactivity, put in middle of a serious moment. It's less of being bad, and more of unintentionally breaking the 4th wall.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Teoes said:
Not a bug, scrub, you just blew your cover! That's only broken in pirated copies, as a day 1 patch fixes what was an intentional issue.
B...but I have my receipt right here!
*checks the receipt*
This is written in crayon!

Rawbeard said:
Do you stay on Kevin Spacey's side? I mean he is your surrogate father, a bit loyalty should be expected.
I wouldn't have thought so; and loyalty to Kevin Spacey only serves to let him betray you harder.

juchmis

Mar 2, 2012
Toblo1 said:
Annoyance with Yahtzee firing shots at the U.S aside
When did Yahtzee fire shots at the US? EDIT: Because I sure as hell hope it wasn't when he dared to compare True American Heroes? with the Dirty Sand******s.

I love how hypersensitive the citizens of the second worst developed country in the world are all the time about their precious murka.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Absimilliard said:
I was kinda hoping for an Assassin's Creed Unity and/or Rogue review, but he might be waiting until Unity is actually finished.
And for him to actually PLAY the freaking game, then make a video of it (he explained that a lot of times). Never expect a video of a game within the next week of a release.

x EvilErmine x said:
Bindal said:
May I ask, what kind of problem people have with the whole "Press F"-thing? It is quite literally just "Press <use-key> to interact and continue" - SINCE WHEN DID THAT BECOME A BAD THING? Because it's Call of Duty doing it (despite the fact it did it a lot previously), am I right? Yes, I am.
Because it's pointless in the context of the game. It's not a QTE, if you don't press x it's not game over, it just sit's there for a while and eventually the game caries on. There's no point to it. The whole thing could easily have just been a cutscene.
Because the ONLY time you get a prompt on the screen are QTEs, right? Because something like a simple "press a button to use this" never existed. Then Half-Life must've been chokeful with those 'not-quick time events' because during the prolog, you have to press the use-button to use an elevator. MUST BE A QTE, BUT YOU DON'T GO GAME OVER IF YOU DON'T DO IT FAST!

Albatross727

Oct 30, 2013
Maybe it's different when you actually play the game but when he mentioned the jetpacks and power armour I was sure Yahtzee was going to use the "Like Titanfall but..." stamp (or maybe that should be "Like Planetside 2 but..." since Titanfall ripped off that).

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Bindal said:
Because the ONLY time you get a prompt on the screen are QTEs, right? Because something like a simple "press a button to use this" never existed. Then Half-Life must've been chokeful with those 'not-quick time events' because during the prolog, you have to press the use-button to use an elevator.
The problem is that these kind of button prompts are normally reserved for actions, like, using your example, calling an elevator. And it makes sense, they are the quickest and easiest way to tell players how to perform the action they want their character to perform and progress the game.
Now, that button prompt in CODAW uses this shorthand in order to make our character - and the player (at least thats the goal) - feel emotion. We're not told that "you can do this by pressing a button now!" but to "press this button to feel sad now!" where it really should not be necessary. If the game makes us feel sad, then it doesn't need it. If it doesn't, then we as players sure as hell don't want to press a button that makes our fake character pay his fake respects. And there are no emotion buttons on human beings that you can press so we feel something.

Maybe people mock it a bit more because it's CoD, but either way it's extremeley desperate, silly and cynical, and it would have been so with any other title.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Bindal said:
Absimilliard said:
I was kinda hoping for an Assassin's Creed Unity and/or Rogue review, but he might be waiting until Unity is actually finished.
And for him to actually PLAY the freaking game, then make a video of it (he explained that a lot of times). Never expect a video of a game within the next week of a release.

x EvilErmine x said:
Bindal said:
Because it's pointless in the context of the game. It's not a QTE, if you don't press x it's not game over, it just sit's there for a while and eventually the game caries on. There's no point to it. The whole thing could easily have just been a cutscene.
Because the ONLY time you get a prompt on the screen are QTEs, right? Because something like a simple "press a button to use this" never existed. Then Half-Life must've been chokeful with those 'not-quick time events' because during the prolog, you have to press the use-button to use an elevator. MUST BE A QTE, BUT YOU DON'T GO GAME OVER IF YOU DON'T DO IT FAST!
All of what Gladion said above, plus:

The difference between your Half-Life example and CODAW is that Half-Life never took control away from the player; it was constantly interactive. If you wanted to press the button to call the lift you could and if you didn't, well you could run in circles for a bit or fling rubbish and some person's head. In CODAW, as far as I understand, the game runs through a scripted cutscene where the player is passively watching the screen; then control is returned to the player for a brief period, where all they can really do is Press X to Feels, then control is snatched back away again for the scripted cutscene to continue.

What was the point of letting the player do something for a few seconds, if all they're allowed to do is press Play on the next passive sequence? It's a poor cheesy attempt at the manipulation of emotion, it's a poor attempt at the illusion of interactivity, it doesn't present the player with a choice. It gains nothing from having the player activate the situation when they could've just had the whole thing play from start to finish (or, better, go the Half-Life route and never take control away in the first place).

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Thanatos2k said:
Serious question: Why haven't EA and Activision teamed up to make "Call of Duty vs Battlefield"?

Pit the fanboys against each other, rake in the cash.

Edit: And somehow the post above me makes the exact same point independently while I was writing my post.
Then we'd just get another Activision vs Infinity Ward debacle over who gets to keep the pile of money.
...Well, I see no drawbacks to this plan!

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
Actually, Medal of Honour versus Dungeon Keeper.

The Dungeon Keeper has finally managed to break free, one small US military unit has been pulled through space and time to stop his conquest of a fantastical world, only for the keeper to escape and invade the "real world" where he becomes a videogames journalist bent on destroying videogames and thus preventing the sequel that would stop his nefarious plans, plans which involve a pay-to-wait mobile game.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Alarien said:
Does anyone else here now REALLY REALLY want to play Call of Duty vs. Pinhead?

That sounds fantastic. Especially if you get to play as Pinhead.
Seconded. CoD's been kicking the snot out of zombies for ages now. I'd like to see Cenobites.

?

While intially playing off the joke, damn there are some potentially neat gameplay mechanics which could be worked in. I'm thinking about some sort of hidden stat like corruption which can be gained by actions or exposure to 'artifacts' which then makes a character more suceptible to creature damage, fear and confusion mechanics, shortcuts through the Labyrinth (which generates corruption). Hm.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Having never been a fan of multiplayer either way, watching videos of it (or reviews) didn't help me see much more than jumping around and shooting as opposed to running around and shooting. Seems like it would be more fun with friends than previous titles, though.

Also, I am playing this video with a controller. What button do I press? I don't want to accidentally skip the scene!

lordofpowies

Jul 20, 2013
Yahtzee's dogged refusal to review the multiplayer really helps his opinion on the game stay relevant and meaningful. (Sarcasm)

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Hehe, Slow-Time Events. I'll have to use that. I've never understood why they make you press the interact key to continue in certain parts of cutscenes. It's a cheap way of adding interactivity that isn't really interactivity at all, since you have no other option.

F.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
I found the SP to be pretty bad in the story part too.

Because I'm QUITE sure all the soldiers of the Atlas corporation might not be so keen on bombing the shit out of USA and other large countries.

They might have been born there and know people in those cities. But nope, they just follow along with it not questioning the boss movements at all. NO ONE but your little group decides to back attack the boss. Not ONE.

Also this whole "There will be no war when there is no one left to fight" or whatever he said, reminds me so much about Red Dwarf episode with Vax droids. The ones that Rimmer wiped out completely and won the war because there is now no one left to fight. :D

When your game reminds me of a comedy show on TV you've done a bad job with the story. It was laughable bad and the second last MW game I played was Black Ops. It was better in the story part.