Zero Punctuation: Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
Maldeus said:
So linearity is perfectly okay when you're gun-slinging in the old west but it's a bad thing when you're pillaging Elves in psuedo-Middle-Earth? Honestly, given the host of other flaws Overlord II had to attack, why did Yahtzee had to mention linearity as one of them when he has and continues to state that he doesn't consider linearity to be inherently a flaw?
I can see where he's coming from in many respects, some games are linear in that you go through corridors in a straight line all game and others have a linear story but offer enough variation in themes/game play modes for it to not become monotonous.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Artlover said:
dubious_wolf said:
(face palm) yea we do actually and if you go 10 comments up you'll notice a guy who counts very well. why not read some of the comments first?
Yeah, I saw it. And?
But I'm not going to give any weight to someone who has no apparent affiliation with Zero Punctuation or The Escapist that just joined today and has only that one post for providing the definitive answer. Especially when their math seems a bit sketchy too.
Oh yeah ok Mr. 6 posts. I don't really like you, the reason being your initial post was rather rude. you asked in what came off as a condescendingly snarky remark "does any one know how to count?" as if we are all stupid. and then you walk us through why your so smart like we need our hand held because we are too thick to figure it out. Yeah most people on the forum can count and preform basic multiplication. the question then I ask you is, who made you the number queen and gave you a freakin' tiara?

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
Can't stop applauding... Such a good review Yahtzee. And the 100 eps montage with the awesome theme music by Ian Dorcsh is just epic!

10/10 There I reviewed your reiview!

theguyoo

Aug 8, 2009
I could be wrong, but isn't this number 102?
i mean 6 pages, five of 20 vids, one of 2...
And this doesn't even count his youtube ones..

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
theguyoo said:
I could be wrong, but isn't this number 102?
i mean 6 pages, five of 20 vids, one of 2...
And this doesn't even count his youtube ones..
He's counting from the time he got the gig at The Escapist. And he never cared for it, as he said it's only a number.

smartmoose

Genre Wars Winner
Feb 17, 2009
T3H-F1GM3NT said:
There is also one little thing that is bugging me...
I sat and rewatched the montage at the end (which was EPIC btw) but noticed there is a game missing from the pictures...

THERE'S NOTHING FOR ASSASSIN'S CREED!
Good job. I saw that when I went through it frame by frame. I also saw that there wasn't one for Peggle either. I wonder if it's a challenge to see who pays attention to the video and who isn't just paralyzed in awe.

fenderstrat

Aug 9, 2009
hehe, i love the way yahtzee says "juarez", i'm a spanish speaker but it sounds so dashing when he says it :p

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
I really quite liked that longer opening he showed us at the end. The music kicked freaking ass. As for the review, I'll probably never play the game (I don't have a PS3 or 360, and Wii games are too expensive) but I did enjoy the review and I liked hearing his take on it. In the end, that's part of what Zero Punctuation is about: Someone with an eye for detail and flaws poking the shit outta whatever is wrong with the games that far too many people masterbate to (such as Halo or Smash Brothers Brawl), getting us to notice exceptionally good games people SHOULD know but don't (such as Psychonauts), and otherwise having a good time venting his frustration at poorly made games the world over.

Gods I know I've had plenty of times where I've said the exact same things he has albeit in a less amusing manner. It's nice to know there's someone out there with as jaded an opinion of video games these days as I have. At least someone listens to him...

Lenoh

Apr 22, 2009
I just noticed something.

Yahtzee never did a proper review of Heavenly Sword, he only reviewed the DEMO.

If you could indulge a curious Yank it would be quite appreciated.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Lenoh said:
I just noticed something.

Yahtzee never did a proper review of Heavenly Sword, he only reviewed the DEMO.

If you could indulge a curious Yank it would be quite appreciated.
I would've quite liked his opinion on "twing twang". But seriously the game's long past out and it's not something he cares for, so chances are it's not getting reviewed.

smartmoose

Genre Wars Winner
Feb 17, 2009
After thinking about it, I think I have cracked The Da Yahtzee Code. The two games he missed in the end of his video were Peggle and Assassian's Creed. Now if you take the initials of each game you get PAC. Therefore, I believe the next game Yahtzee will review will be Pac-Man. It makes so much sence when you follow the logic of The Da Yahtzee Code.

xqxm

Oct 17, 2008
The whole disgusing its linear nature thing brings to mind another old western game, namely "Gun", a game i thought would be pretty awesome, but as it turned out was just a big linear corridor between mountains with two or three towns littered along the way. I don't know if the showdown thing would be any better, but the bossfights in Gun were unreasonably fucking hard, with me almost giving up when having to fight a dualwielding preacher on an invincible horseback, and finally telling the game to fuck off when it expected me to kill the main villain, an indianhating railroadentrepenuer (original!) named McGruber or something, who was clad in full medieaval knight's attire, which did a surprisingly good job at stopping bullets, while filling my ass with bullets from a chaingun he somehow managed to carry around.

oh well, i'm sure a good western game will come along SOME day.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
First of all, congratulations on 100 episodes Yahtzee! Your witty reviews have kept me anxiously awaiting each new video for many wednesdays now.

As to the actual game, it seems like Western games, even the good ones, have a lot of holes in them. Will there ever be a good western game? The world may never know...

Woem

May 28, 2009
Congratulations! What a wonderfully intelligent and mostly sane 100th episode! And you could create a movie solely based around the "twoot" and "juarez" samples. Or at least a "juarez juarez twoot twoot" version of the badger song. And replace the snake with a kobold.