Zero Punctuation: Call of Juarez: The Cartel

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Swifteye said:
Jaime_Wolf said:
The beginning was the same jokes. Again. Same criticisms. Again. Same fan-baiting. Again.

At least there was an actual review this time.
Well sir if you've gotten tired with how Yathzee tells jokes you can always watch the other stuff on the escapist cause this actual review your speaking of. That didn't happen he doesn't review games. Susan, steve, russ those people review the games here.
Well sir if you don't agree with my post you can always read other posts and stuff on the escapist.

The "If you don't like it, don't watch it and stop complaining." response is unimaginably asinine and pointless. By that same reasoning, you shouldn't have replied to my post - if you don't agree with me, you shouldn't voice your opinion, but should instead go read and respond to other posts you do agree with.

More on topic: I'm not tired of his sense of humour in general, I'm tired of the fact that he levels exactly the same criticisms against every other game and even uses the same jokes to do it much of the time. There's still the occaisional new comedic gem, but they seem to be further and further apart. If he spent more time joking about the game under review and less time reiterating the same complaints about modern shooters every goddamn time, the show would be much improved. And the fan-baiting is only funny when the fans are particularly unreasonable about something. If he made fun of the fact that people overlooked all of the flaws in a game like OoT that would be funny. Making fun of the fact that people like it at all isn't funny, it's just juvenille trolling. And it's such an incredibly transparent attempt at trolling that it isn't even good trolling.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
"There is no middle finger BIG ENOUGH!" wins the Quote of the Year award. Bonus points for higher increments of rage you shout it at.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
Henry921 said:
They were the 'labors' of Hercules. Which has zero relevance to the rest of the review. I'm just a stickler.
Actually, they were the δωδέκαθλον in the original Greek. Translate it however you like.

OT, I enjoyed the first Call of Juarez game, even though it committed the cardinal sin of having checkpoints immediately before unskippable cutscenes. It had good variety of play styles between the two main characters and was trying something new.

This iteration I'm not so interested in, though.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
maninahat said:
The wild west setting was the best thing going for the Call Of Juarez series, so setting it in the modern day seems like an utterly retarded shot in the foot on the part of Ubisoft.
To be fair, utterly retarded shots in the foot seem to be an integral part of Ubisoft's corporate strategy these days...

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Jaime_Wolf said:
Swifteye said:
Jaime_Wolf said:
The beginning was the same jokes. Again. Same criticisms. Again. Same fan-baiting. Again.

At least there was an actual review this time.
Well sir if you've gotten tired with how Yathzee tells jokes you can always watch the other stuff on the escapist cause this actual review your speaking of. That didn't happen he doesn't review games. Susan, steve, russ those people review the games here.
Well sir if you don't agree with my post you can always read other posts and stuff on the escapist.

The "If you don't like it, don't watch it and stop complaining." response is unimaginably asinine and pointless. By that same reasoning, you shouldn't have replied to my post - if you don't agree with me, you shouldn't voice your opinion, but should instead go read and respond to other posts you do agree with.

More on topic: I'm not tired of his sense of humour in general, I'm tired of the fact that he levels exactly the same criticisms against every other game and even uses the same jokes to do it much of the time. There's still the occaisional new comedic gem, but they seem to be further and further apart. If he spent more time joking about the game under review and less time reiterating the same complaints about modern shooters every goddamn time, the show would be much improved. And the fan-baiting is only funny when the fans are particularly unreasonable about something. If he made fun of the fact that people overlooked all of the flaws in a game like OoT that would be funny. Making fun of the fact that people like it at all isn't funny, it's just juvenille trolling. And it's such an incredibly transparent attempt at trolling that it isn't even good trolling.
I said what I said not for the usual reasons like to excuse the perspective disagreements but mostly because well. Stuff gets boring after awhile. Sure you enjoy this but sometimes when you pay witness to it regularly it becomes easier to get annoyed or bored of repetitive elements. You may wish for a bit more or ask for things that would improve it's quality but the reality usually is that such an opinion has no power on actually altering the product at hand. Especially when it comes to comedy you just kinda have to go with what you know I've rarely seen a comic switch up there styles or reinvigorate themselves with a different execution. The bulk of the humor output is mostly based on what your being given. And with games like this yahtzee may not have been given much to work with what with most games being something he's done so many reviews of or he doesn't like them for rather fundamental reasons and it's hard for him not to bring it up.

Because you are feeling a dissatisfaction that only comes from enjoying something for too long I suggested a bit of a sabbatical. Take a break from Zero Punctuation and invest in other things. Are you familiar with classic game room on youtube? The reviewer there is very much different from most other reviewers um anywhere really. He has his own quirks but he has about 2000 videos and updates daily so take a chance if you haven't tried it.

I bet after a month or three you'll come back to a bunch of zero punctuation reviews and you'll appreciate what he gives out even though it is more of the same.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Sorry, but there isn't enough hate in the video, and I know you Yahtzee, you can still do even better!

This game has to be the biggest peice of shit ever this year, I hope the developers are happy...:D

-_-

head desk tricycle

Aug 14, 2010
So last week Yahtzee was attacking people who defend classic FPS games, and this week he's defending classic FPS games? Jesus.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Let me start by saying this:

I live extremely close to Juarez, Mexico, which is one of the most dangerous cities in the world where you would find the Cartel running the place and blah blah. I also work at GameStop. So whenever someone would come in and look at our Call of Juarez: The Cartel promo poster, this was their response:

"OMGGGGGGGGG! A JUAREZ GAME! FFF--I'll reserve 20 copies! Just take my money!"

While the small majority would be offended because of *ahem* "A game that mocks the current situation of said city". Then mothers would look angrily at me as they hurried their children out of the store.

Anywho, I find it funny because the game is selling like pancakes over here. And I KNOW that we'll end up having like 50 used copies by the end of the month. No one knows how bad the game is! We've actually taken on the important task of warning people about how bad the game is before they buy the game.

So I actually agree with Yahtzee. This game plain SUCKS! Like most lame games, it could have been a good game but it never quite got there. Seriously, if you gotta choose a good FPS, choose Black Ops, at least (Not a big fan of CoD but it's still better, I must admit).

rickicker

Oct 26, 2010
I seriously lost it during the "There is no middle finger big enough!" bit. Classic, Yahtzee! An absolute classic!

So, let me get this straight: America is no longer the sweaty fat teenage girl writing self-insert fanfiction about the hunky European boy down the street, but is now the fiercely masturbating twenty-something over the sweaty shirtless latino guy in the apartment window across the street, since now the FPS fiction is us picking fights with Mexico.

Dear America, what the hell? Sincerely, the rest of the world.

Kizi

Apr 29, 2011
The funniest ZP in a while, I cried laughing at the middle finger joke.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
1) I had to rewind the video after 4:18 because I was laughing too hard. "THERE IS NO MIDDLE FINGER BIG ENOUGH" is probably now my favorite Yahtzee moment.

EDIT: Followed closely by "I don't see Alice: Madness Returns making mad returns. Neyh heh he..." I loves me some puns.

2) What, are they just erasing all the "FIRST" comments from the thread now? I find it hard to believe that the Internet is getting more mature, but stranger things have happened, I guess.

Erastes

Aug 31, 2010
You've struck a chord with the middle finger thing. Er.. mixed metaphors never work. I forsee posters.Excellent review, best one for a while.

Tormuse

Nov 18, 2009
I would like to add my voice to the chorus of appreciation for the line:

"There is no middle finger big enough!"

I've been pretty depressed lately, but that line actually made me laugh. :)

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Thank you, Yahtzee. Your review made me spray tea-flavored spit across my computer screen.

This was definitely one of the funnier ones.