Zero Punctuation: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

ZelosRaine

Sep 20, 2010
I can't believe that no one has been enough of a wanker to point out that the Mona Lisa is in the Louvre, not the National (of England) Portrait Gallery. Guess that's me then!

Sep 4, 2009
I was bothered that the Mona Lisa was used to illustrate the national portrait gallery. No lie.

Yes that makes me a fucking art fan boy with a thumb up his arse, FINE. BUT its the fucking Louvre.

Is the fucking Louvre too obscure for anyone? Really?

For all the above ranting, ZP still is head and shoulders (and knees-and-toes-knees-and-toes) above other video reviews. Perhaps since I've started watching Extra Credits I'm just expecting something different from ZP.

Dore914

Jul 2, 2008
Iv lost faith in you yahtzee in comparison to most of the games that are coming out today, this is brilliant, even on its own, you can just take away the castlevania title... the whole "Like god of war but.." stamp needs to go, GOW is a cow in a field thats been milked for what its worth...

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
Zenode said:
i was thoroughly disturbed by some of the analogies in that video

Does anyone get the title

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Lords: Damn cant think of anything
of: God of war
Shadow: Shadow of the Collussus

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......
Almost every single Castlevania game, since before God of War existed, has been titled (blank) of (blank).

I'm still going to play this, but probably only as a rental.

joemegson94

Aug 17, 2010
In The Passing/The Sacrifice, it's possible to listen to Still Alive on a jukebox. Also the fact that it's by Vlave doesn't make a difference; it's still a game with a portal reference.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
CynicalMarcus said:
FieryTrainwreck said:
CynicalMarcus said:
FieryTrainwreck said:
Gamurga said:
dennett316 said:
ranyilliams said:
i think you should stop using the whole "like god of war...but" joke...its getting old.
I can't agree with this. If the joke is getting old it just shows you how stagnant the games industry has become in terms of the outright theft of successful formulas and the repackaging of the same damn game for the seventy squillionth time. People keep buying them though, hence the need for the joke.
No, no, no.
That's like saying that the game industry is stagnating just because they still make First Person Shooters, or RTS-Games or games of every other existing genre.
You can't just invent something completly new every time you develop another game.
Mythological monsters. QTEs. Chained whips. Wake up.
Mythological monsters and chained whips were Castlevania originals. You need to wake up.
No, they were mythological originals. That's not the point at all. We're talking about video games. In the context of this medium, God of War originated its particular breed of gameplay -
No, it did not. Action platformer where you're facing down legions of creatures of myth using a whip based weapon? Castlevania did that in 1983. God of War was the first game to take the ideas that Castlevania brought forth years upon years beforehand and successfully bring it into 3D.

Even so, it only perfected it. Lament of Innocence came out two years prior, utilizing similar gameplay. I'm guessing that you've only been playing games for about six years now?
So just ignore the part where I talk about originality of execution?

God of War, as a video game, is an original creation. Nothing that came before it feels the same. I'm guessing that has more to do with refinement and polish than base concepts, but those are important aspects of the creative process - they frequently give us our "bests". The very best games are the standards we use to criticize new media. If Lords of Shadow had surpassed God of War, LoS wouldn't be labeled so pejoratively as a clone.

Point is: most game devs are chasing something, and games of this ilk are chasing God of War. Fall tremendously short while innovating basically nothing, and you'll be called a ripoff. Seems tremendously fair to me. Trading on past innovations in a completely different and now-defunct genre seems petty and pointless.

In other words, I think there's a reason why we use "measuring stick games", like Doom, as the "originals" rather than the conceptual originals like Wolfenstein. Execution, perhaps more in games than any other medium, trumps the design documents. Any idiot can have a great idea, but it takes true artistry to bring it to life. I deign those artists as the true originators.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
You're right, the Portal reference DOES tell you everything you need to know.

Also, I love that Symphony of the Night/Count von Count reference at the end.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
The best thing I can say about Lords of Shadow is that it actually gets some major theming of Christian mythology correct, which is a feat rarely - if never! - accomplished by games. I can't think of another game that actually does it, the closest being God of War 1 whose story fits the mold of a classic Greek tragedy.

And then it screws it all up with the epilogue which is the epitome of tackiness whereupon every single element that makes up the story gets filleted. I'm not kidding. It literally ruins any redemption the game has.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
I found this game to be pretty awesome. But yeah, yahtzee is right with his points, but what I don't get is his opinion on the game. Does he think it's any good or what?

Btw, Lords of Shadow is better than any God of War.

CynicalMarcus

Jul 27, 2010
FieryTrainwreck said:
CynicalMarcus said:
FieryTrainwreck said:
CynicalMarcus said:
FieryTrainwreck said:
Gamurga said:
dennett316 said:
ranyilliams said:
i think you should stop using the whole "like god of war...but" joke...its getting old.
I can't agree with this. If the joke is getting old it just shows you how stagnant the games industry has become in terms of the outright theft of successful formulas and the repackaging of the same damn game for the seventy squillionth time. People keep buying them though, hence the need for the joke.
No, no, no.
That's like saying that the game industry is stagnating just because they still make First Person Shooters, or RTS-Games or games of every other existing genre.
You can't just invent something completly new every time you develop another game.
Mythological monsters. QTEs. Chained whips. Wake up.
Mythological monsters and chained whips were Castlevania originals. You need to wake up.
No, they were mythological originals. That's not the point at all. We're talking about video games. In the context of this medium, God of War originated its particular breed of gameplay -
No, it did not. Action platformer where you're facing down legions of creatures of myth using a whip based weapon? Castlevania did that in 1983. God of War was the first game to take the ideas that Castlevania brought forth years upon years beforehand and successfully bring it into 3D.

Even so, it only perfected it. Lament of Innocence came out two years prior, utilizing similar gameplay. I'm guessing that you've only been playing games for about six years now?
So just ignore the part where I talk about originality of execution?

God of War, as a video game, is an original creation. Nothing that came before it feels the same.

Would you like to try again?

Kiddo, the sooner that you realize that there's nothing new underneath the sun you'll find yourself enjoying things much, much more. You'll also feel this new sensation called "being right." From someone who is right, let me tell you that it's an awesome feeling.

Every game borrows from something. It's what the game does with it that matters.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
No Dracula? Oh Castlevania, what've they done to you? That's on par with what Captain N did to Simon Belmont.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
I hereby make the prediction that in seven years all franchises that have gone crappy since they turned 3D will have downloadable and remotely good 2D games - like what Sonic just did.

TheThirdChild

Feb 16, 2010
Everything you said was what I thought of it.

Although it was nice to fight werewolfs instead of undead legionnaires.