Zero Punctuation: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

WoulfeLoung

Oct 25, 2008
Am I the only one that realized that he messed up in the text? When he did 'The Count From Sesame Street' backwards, he started it with HTE. And his stamp is technically backwards the first times.

Zudarkness

Feb 24, 2010
Well the fart joke was funny but I actually do like the game fighting elements. it makes you think Metal Gear for a reason..probally cause it was made by Hideko. There will be a sequal.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
I never knew he liked Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but he should probably try Super Castlevania IV, that game was the best in the "classic" Castlevanias and a linear game as well.
Been watching AVGN huh?

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
The end of that review nearly killed me.

Unless they manage to make a Metroid Prime-style leap to 3D, Castlevania will NEVER work in three dimensions.

Darkrain11

May 14, 2009
I really liked LoS actually. The story was solid (but cliched, I know), the enemy variety was plentiful without being ridiculous, and the combat was overall satisfying. Also, it really is annoying that people are still complaining that it is "like God of War but...", I guess because one game did something no other game should ever do it again and the really upsetting thing is if Gabriel used a different weapon, like a sword, people would have just said "like Ninja Gaiden but...". Games are going to copy things off one another, its a fact and it is inevitable, so people should not be AS upset as they are when it happens. BTW I loved both GoW and SotC so this game was like having two of my favorite icecream flavors at the same time.

radioactive lemur

May 26, 2010
I'm a little disappointed he didn't mention the immersiveness murdering glitches and the save issue. Everything else he mentioned are minor issues compared to those two kicks to the crotch.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
oh that is so cheap Yahtzee! cracking me up with a fart joke...hurr hurr good one
nice move, and with the Count from Sesame Street too ah ah ah...

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
joemegson94 said:
Left 4 Dead 2 has a Portal reference and that game's awesome.
Really? Where? Is it on some saferoom grafitti? I've logged almost 200 hours on that game and I can't think of where Portal might have been referenced.

On topic, this was about what I expected, given the underwhelming response from the official Escapist review. Solid humor if a little grosser than usual, but the "pile of secrets" thing in the credits had me cracking up.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Sephiwind said:
Good Lord Yahtzee I seriously think you dropped the ball on this one. For starters the "Like God of War but.." stamp is getting old. If you are going to do that then you might as well give every FPS a like "Wolfenstein 3d but..." or "Like Doom but.." stamp. Hell while we are at it we can give every turn based RPG the "Like Final Fantasy but..." or "Like Dungeons & Dragon's but.." stamp. Honestly just because God of War started that style does this mean that every game of that style is just coping God of War? There is all ways going to be some game that started a style of game play that became popular then others copy it. Personally I think that's the only way they they really could have done a 3D Castlevania game.
The problem is the degree of similarity. Most FPSs that came out shortly after Doom (Wolf 3D wasn't as big as hit) were actually called Doom-clones, because they mostly copied the Doom formula wholesale. The genre actually evolved a lot since then, and a current-day game like Halo or CoD has very little in common with Doom except for the most basic tenets, like "it's in 1st person, and you shoot things". The same for RPGs and RTSs and other genres.

For some games, the similarity to GoW is too much and they get labeled as clones, as the Doom-clones did in their day. I didn't play Lords of Shadow much, but my impression from the little I played was that it ripped from GoW just a bit too much.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
zipzod said:
Logic time:
If (a) good Castlevania games follow the "metroidvania" structure,
and (b) Metroid Prime was a good 3D adaptation of a "metroidvania" game,
Then if you wanted to design a good 3D Castlevania, isn't the obvious solution to model it like the one of the Prime games?
I don't really understand this logic, but that means a First Person Castlevania "Mirror's Edge with Whips"?

dudeman0001

Jul 8, 2008
minimacker said:
Castlevania, huh?

I wish this never left SNES.
Why? I'm playing SOTN right now and making me blow my load.

OT: Thanks Yahtzee for touching on the fact that this game is NOTHING like castlevania, which was the main reason I didn't get it...
I saw some guy who calls himself SP review it and when they didn't even notice that it's nothing like castle vania, really jostled my flaps... rockband 3 next and GH6? maybe fallout?

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
ranyilliams said:
i think you should stop using the whole "like god of war...but" joke...its getting old.
Maybe game developers should stop making games that are like God of War but...

joemegson94

Aug 17, 2010
usucdik said:
joemegson94 said:
In The Passing/The Sacrifice, it's possible to listen to Still Alive on a jukebox. Also the fact that it's by Vlave doesn't make a difference; it's still a game with a portal reference.
Which of course isn't even the issue.
It is. I'm pointing out that not all games with portal references are crap.

Turbo_ski

Dec 23, 2009
Honestly I found this game more of a homage to other great games (without lingering too long on any aspect) and not so much of a ripoff.

Sure the basic combat feels like God of War initially, but once you get new moves and light and shadow magic the combat becomes very different. I'm also going to assume Yahtzee played this on the easiest setting, since attacking and dodging only does not work on higher difficulties, and really requires you to block and manage your magic more as a result. That's another thing, you gain more magic power by attacking repeatedly without being hit and critically timed blocking pretty much negates out any downtime if you do get and stuns your foes for a second or two. Light magic restores health and has defensive effects like a damage reduction shield when used with holy water and exploding fairies. Shadow magic increases your damage significantly and causes your daggers to explode on impact (required for some puzzles to hit switches from a far). Both have unique moves that become available when active.

Anyway the main reasons you should play this game is the story, visuals, Patrick Stewart, and the awesome triple twist ending. The gameplay is enjoyable and nowhere close to bad, but it's not the primary selling point of this game.

EDIT: for those who say this is nothing like Castlevania, sorry you're wrong on that note. The enemies, settings, and characters are all pulled from supernatural folklore and previous Castlevania games. We get all the same themes that Castlevania is known for on a much more refined scale and the reason Dracula doesn't appear til the Outro makes perfect sense when it is revealed.