Zero Punctuation: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Eicha said:
I must say I disagree about the 3D Castlevania thing. I really liked Lament of Innocence, it was pretty fun and engaging. Even though it had like... 3 characters.
Legacy of Darkness had like 4 characters and all it was was Castlevania 64 only NOT broken, and a WHOLE other GAME added to it

on another note, Castlevania Judgement was... well... fun to look at, fun to watch, easy to play, great music... but not really fun to play... there IS such a thing as TOO easy people

if only they made it 4 player... then it would kick brawl off the map because it's just as complex *wark wark*

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Turbo_ski said:
Honestly I found this game more of a homage to other great games (without lingering too long on any aspect) and not so much of a ripoff.

Sure the basic combat feels like God of War initially, but once you get new moves and light and shadow magic the combat becomes very different. I'm also going to assume Yahtzee played this on the easiest setting, since attacking and dodging only does not work on higher difficulties, and really requires you to block and manage your magic more as a result. That's another thing, you gain more magic power by attacking repeatedly without being hit and critically timed blocking pretty much negates out any downtime if you do get and stuns your foes for a second or two. Light magic restores health and has defensive effects like a damage reduction shield when used with holy water and exploding fairies. Shadow magic increases your damage significantly and causes your daggers to explode on impact (required for some puzzles to hit switches from a far). Both have unique moves that become available when active.

Anyway the main reasons you should play this game is the story, visuals, Patrick Stewart, and the awesome triple twist ending. The gameplay is enjoyable and nowhere close to bad, but it's not the primary selling point of this game.
Paying homage instead of ripping off

like duke nukem compared to darksiders

in duke nukem 3D which is very Doom-like AND you find the Doom space marine and duke says "that guy is doomed" ...but it's still a very original game

while darksiders just rips off everything that had a good run once upon a time

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Uggh. I know that Yahtzee has this little game he plays every week which goes, "what's the most disgusting jizz/blowjob/scat joke I can make with a metaphor?" but this one was not fun for me. I have to remind myself over and over to never watch the Kane and Lynch 2 review again because the last gag (how appropriate) did not do good things to my stomach every time I heard it.

I guess this'll be about as effective as... something not very effective possibly involving a wall, but maybe Yahtzee could tone the gag-enducing metaphors down a little for next week? Please?

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
dudeman0001 said:
minimacker said:
Castlevania, huh?

I wish this never left SNES.
Why? I'm playing SOTN right now and making me blow my load.

OT: Thanks Yahtzee for touching on the fact that this game is NOTHING like castlevania, which was the main reason I didn't get it...
I saw some guy who calls himself SP review it and when they didn't even notice that it's nothing like castle vania, really jostled my flaps... rockband 3 next and GH6? maybe fallout?
I want to see him review Minecraft, I feel like the only one that doesn't like it and I'm sick of everyone around me telling me I suck for not liking it

ugh it's like Runescape all over again...

on the other note: I don't know why but some people think Super Castlevania 4 is the "last" castlevania game because it was the last linier NON-rpg one

and their whole arguement for why SotN sucks (I LOVE IT) is "it's too haaaaaaaaaaard... waaaaaaaaaaahh it's too haaaaaaaaaaard!.. this game suuuuuuuuucks it's actually challenging! booooooo hoooooo"

worst part is I actually made that sound more mature then the person I know who said that...

just litter it with many many unneeded F-bombs, and add a PS1 controller being thrown across the room (with the rest of the PS1 attached) and you'll have a good recreation

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
Zenode said:
i was thoroughly disturbed by some of the analogies in that video

Does anyone get the title

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Lords: Damn cant think of anything
of: God of war
Shadow: Shadow of the Collussus

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......
Or it could be that almost every castlevania game in recent memory follows the formula "something of something"

Symphony of the Night slightly plays with it. Otherwise, Rondo of Blood, Lament of Innocence, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia.... hell, most follow the form "term for a kind of musical piece" of "something bad/gothic".

But seriously, you think they ripped off God of War by using the word "of"?

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
Kermi said:
ranyilliams said:
i think you should stop using the whole "like god of war...but" joke...its getting old.
Maybe game developers should stop making games that are like God of War but...
It's not a remotely fair criticism of this game. I've played God of War and I've played Castlevania, and they don't feel any more alike to me than any two games you could pick from *any* gameplay genre.

Sure, Kratos's main weapons are whiplike, just like Belmont's. Would you rather Belmont *not* use a whip? Gordon Freeman's weapons are all vaguely gun-like. So maybe it's a massive rip-off of Doom.... except that's stupid. But this is literally all they share in common. Same basic genre (action game) and a vaguely similar primary melee weapon. Even the QTEs, which permeate this and other genres, aren't very GoW-like other than that they exist. They remind me more of the rings from Lost Odyssey. So sure, Castlevania is "like God of War.... but" for the fact that it really isn't.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
I fully agree on the camera issues, can't fight what you can't see and all that. Plus I missed the Portal reference in-game, the knight scrolls are all generaly "woe is me, i'm a goner" junk, so I didn't bother with them.

lulec

Oct 18, 2010
AND I couldn't help but notice the flying carpet used was an item from wow. But i still wuv you :D

Mr.Petey

Dec 23, 2009
The only problem I've had with it is that it corrupted a save but I was barely into chapter 3 so I didn't mind reliving it and getting extra life gems on where I'd missed them previously.

I've played about 3 other castlevania games (including SOTN) and I still found it to be an enjoyable game. The combat isn't button mashing all the time thank goodness as some tact is required to dodge, evade and counter enemy blows.
There are a few quicktime events but they don't always mean certain death and like most QTE, you'll at least remember where they were. They don't even need to be button specific, just decently fast reactions.

I've given myself a wide berth from 3rd person games as I found a lot ended too quickly but this isn't the case as it really is a mouthful and seconds too. I found myself revisiting areas with newly acquired powers and relics to smash down that extra door for the odd hidden item and so on. I'll stand by that it is quite an adventure, even if it does borrow some GOW aspects

Metalhandkerchief said:
Wait, did I just skip a week? I mean, I can't find the Fallout: New Vegas video, and it still says it's the same week as when I went to bed. MINDFCUK?

If Yahtzee is just going to give up on real games, I am just going to have to give up on The Escapist.
Please define a "real" game as Castlevania might not win the original crowd over but it's no less deserving than the next game to be critiqued

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
It seems that I'm not alone in noticing the difference in microphones between episodes.

I hope he makes up his mind soon.

Some of them are just... awful.

Syrus Vikeruce

Jul 12, 2010
Played the demo on my mate's Xbox and I can't say it felt like a true Castlevania game.

Maybe I'm too used to the retro ones. =/

Crono Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
Am I the only one who liked Castlevania more before it became Metroid-only-not-as-good? They've made SEVEN IDENTICAL GAMES in the Metroidvania format, and yet there are people pissed because they haven't made another in a while.

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
WOPR said:
and their whole arguement for why SotN sucks (I LOVE IT) is "it's too haaaaaaaaaaard... waaaaaaaaaaahh it's too haaaaaaaaaaard!.. this game suuuuuuuuucks it's actually challenging! booooooo hoooooo"
Wait, there are people who thought SotN was hard? It's one of those games that you don't have to get any better at to win. Your character gets better as you play it, so play it enough, and it's a foregone conclusion that you'll beat it. Unlike the classic castlevania games where *you* had to "gain the level" so to speak.

I mean, sure, it was an awesome game, but "hard" would be the last thing I'd say about it.