Zero Punctuation: Console Rundown

Hengst2404

Aug 29, 2007
I think that is actually a really fair assessment of all 3 systems to date. If you think about it, the so-called console wars only matter to a relatively small portion of actual gamers. None of my friends at work are even aware really of the differences between the systems, aside from price and that the wii can cause serious damage to tvs.

In fact, it seems to usually be the online forums of websites where the 12 year olds rule the land in a literary Lord of Flies spoken in a bizarre language which I myself can rarely follow but am certain means something to them.

Slamhound

Aug 29, 2007
Hengst2404 said:
I think that is actually a really fair assessment of all 3 systems to date. If you think about it, the so-called console wars only matter to a relatively small portion of actual gamers. None of my friends at work are even aware really of the differences between the systems, aside from price and that the wii can cause serious damage to tvs.

In fact, it seems to usually be the online forums of websites where the 12 year olds rule the land in a literary Lord of Flies spoken in a bizarre language which I myself can rarely follow but am certain means something to them.
Pretty damn good point there. Besides, these days it's a lot more common for people to own 2+ consoles, plus a handheld console (or both), and a games-capable PC. Back in my day, you pitched your tent on either side of the Sega/Nintendo divide and that was it, son.

It's not so much a console war these days as "how many different boxes can you cram under your TV alongside your Sky box, VCR, and DVD player".

Incidentally, Schrodinger's XBox effin' killed me. I'm typing this from Heaven right now, they've got cable.

Aug 30, 2007
Slamhound said:
Pretty damn good point there. Besides, these days it's a lot more common for people to own 2+ consoles, plus a handheld console (or both), and a games-capable PC. Back in my day, you pitched your tent on either side of the Sega/Nintendo divide and that was it, son.
Quite true, I'm currently in the possesion of a Super NES, Playstation(With the craptastic 3.5 inch screen, sorry don't know what that converts out to be), Slim PS2(had the brick one but bit the dust a couple of years back), Wii, Xbox360, Nintendo DS, Gameboy Advance, PSP, and a gaming-capable PC(granted it's in dire need of an upgrade).

Oh yeah, great review on the current console war, or should I say console hoedown? >;D

Jerakal

Aug 30, 2007
Oh man, I cannot agree with you more but especially about those retards on XBL. You rock Yahtzee!

oluf

Nov 8, 2006
I have been trying to tell everyone that the wii controller is overhyped, glad I am not the only one who thinks that moveing your hand to the left or smahsing the x-button really isnt all that different in the end :)

I really enjoy these zero punctuations, keep up the good work.

Graffiti Writer

Aug 15, 2006
Dude, these totally rule! I'm loving it (oh yeah, give it to me, etc.).

Glaring error though. The Spectrum was miles better than the C64, and I'll kill the friends and family of anyone who dares disagree. And what's a PlayStation 3?

Keep it up, old sausage!

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
I remember owning a 360. I was playing Dead Rising on it one night, when the system decided it was hungry and proceeded to eat the game DVD in the tray. Seriously. There was a loud alligator-with-IBS [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_bowel_syndrome] noise and everything froze. After the light on the front went all HAL-9000 on me, and pulling out the game, I found a 2 millimeter-wide groove had been carved into the disc. I got very annoyed and brought it back to Wal-Mart, and got further annoyed when they gave me back the money for the console, but wouldn't give it back for the game (Which I chucked in a trash bin on the way out of the store). I haven't purchased a 'seventh generation' console since (Except as a gift), and I'm not sure I will. I keep getting tempted, but not tempted enough. On principle, hearing how "most people have been bricked" just tells me I shouldn't be paying my money for a chance at a good product, instead of just a good product.

Note: I bought it at Wal-Mart, not because I do my game shopping there, but because it was the only store open at 3am, when I decided I had to own a 360.

Another Note: I recommend against going to Wal-Mart at 3am. It's a depressing look at humanity.

LyonLee

Aug 30, 2007
Nicely done. I truly look forward to these.

I am so glad I'm a cheap bastard and held off purchasing a 360. When I heard about the widespread hardware malfunctions, I nearly laughed at my good fortune... or maybe that was the misfortune of others. You know, very schadenfreude.

My only concern is the possible misdiagnosis of the Wii as being for toddlers. It's probably the only one of the three that might hook into a much larger market then the standard gaming crowd, and getting a DS is the last major purchase I made. I've even managed to get my father to play it after buying NYTimes Crosswords game. I assure you, this was no easy feat.

//LL

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
I recommend against going to Wal-Mart unless you really have to. It's pretty much a wretched hive of human scum 24/7.

My favorite measure of how messed up a Wal-Mart is: Count the used, full diapers in the parking lot. These are the typical Wal-Mart shopper; parents who would change their squalling hellspawn's nether regions with the passenger door open, then cast the bag of turgid leavings into the parking space for cars to run over and saps like me to almost step in.

Maybe it's part of living in Texas.

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
Nah, it's probably relatively universal. Especially at 3am. The definitive moment was the family of five, with a cart of groceries and motor oil (No joke), that walked by me. They were discussing - in a thick drawl - the various methods of 'shootin' available in the woods. I don't know what they were specifically talking about, but I knew enough to understand I was uncomfortable with the idea of this family owning firearms. I moved along.

The staff wasn't much better. The employee who unlocked the glass case to get my 360 looked supremely upset that I had interrupted his shift of mouth-breathing-wall-staring to ask for help. My irritation was compounded by the random 8-minute conversation he got into with another employee as the keys dangled - unturned - in the lock of the glass case.

I actually haven't been to Wal-Mart since. Sadly, Targét is much more appealing.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I used to like going to that Super Wal-Mart in Austin out by 183 at 3 am or so to buy shirts. I called it cheap entertainment.

Araman

Nov 12, 2002
That was seriously brilliant. Looking forward to catching these on a regular basis.

And Russ, I know exactly what you mean. I was out in Utah earlier this summer and ran into a similar, yet much more inbred and "polygamized" entertainment experience. Most would call it a horror film, I called it "Why Darwin was wrong."