Zero Punctuation: Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
I've been cool with 3D Platformers ever since Toy Story 2 on the PSX, along with Spyro, Sly, and Mario of course. Guess it comes down to being grown to it even if I have my limits like how I struggle with Banjo Kazooie.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
TheScorpion said:
I've been cool with 3D Platformers ever since Toy Story 2 on the PSX, along with Spyro, Sly, and Mario of course. Guess it comes down to being grown to it even if I have my limits like how I struggle with Banjo Kazooie.
BK has a whole lot of the same controls at Mario 64 though. :eek:

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The only problem with Mario 64 is the same problem as every N64 game...the controller. If I could play Mario 64 with an Xbox 360 or One controller, that would be just swell.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Saelune said:
The only problem with Mario 64 is the same problem as every N64 game...the controller. If I could play Mario 64 with an Xbox 360 or One controller, that would be just swell.
I mean, technically you can, as long as you're not averse to not playing it on the original hardware.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Wait, platforming games weren't about trying to enjoy physics in games-- oh, I guess they sort of were.
Wait, Mario 64 is a timeless classic because it proved 3D platforming could work-- oh, I guess it did age rather poorly.
Wait, Crash Bandicoot didn't simply rip off the plot from Sonic The Hedgehog-- oh, I guess it sort of did.
Wait, Crash Bandicoot's girlfriend from the first game wasn't a titty monster-- oh, I guess she was.

I cannot handle this level of being spot on.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Arnoxthe1 said:
TheScorpion said:
BK has a whole lot of the same controls at Mario 64 though. :eek:
Well control isn't an issue, it's more about figuring out what the fuck to do to progress. In fact, one of my friends even called it a Nintendo Power game for this reason.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
President Bagel said:
Even upon its release (I played Mario 64 the day it was released) I have been of the opinion that game's camera and controls are a heap of garbage, completely undermining the timeless brilliance of its own level design. The physics are also over-responsive, causing one to overshoot many of what should be easy jumps, and lead to one swerving around like a drunk driver on crystal meth. Nobody is denying the game's innovations and influence, but Yahtzee's comment is spot on.
You could say the exact same about Super Mario World and etc. though. In fact, I think I've been killed more times in Super Mario World just through sliding off a platform into a pit because of Mario's shitty traction than SM64. And Super Mario World is believed to be one of, if not the best 2D Mario games ever.

Sure, SM64 was hard sometimes but it actually was objectively easier than the 2D Mario games of old. I think some nostalgia goggles really need to be taken off here.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
President Bagel said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
President Bagel said:
Even upon its release (I played Mario 64 the day it was released) I have been of the opinion that game's camera and controls are a heap of garbage, completely undermining the timeless brilliance of its own level design. The physics are also over-responsive, causing one to overshoot many of what should be easy jumps, and lead to one swerving around like a drunk driver on crystal meth. Nobody is denying the game's innovations and influence, but Yahtzee's comment is spot on.
You could say the exact same about Super Mario World and etc. though. In fact, I think I've been killed more times in Super Mario World just through sliding off a platform into a pit because of Mario's shitty traction than SM64. And Super Mario World is believed to be one of, if not the best 2D Mario games ever.

Sure, SM64 was hard sometimes but it actually was objectively easier than the 2D Mario games of old. I think some nostalgia goggles really need to be taken off here.
Super Mario World's controls are flawless. Don't remember ever in my life hearing anyone complain about the controls in that game. It's aged beautifully, and if I were asked to recommend one and only one video game to someone who's never played a video game before, it would be Super Mario World.
Super Mario World's sliding was fair. Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 on the other hand...

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Saelune said:
I don't understand this sentiment at all. Did you actually have an N64? Because that controller was actually really comfortable to hold. You have some nice grips to hold onto and all the buttons are in good positions. It doesn't make you contort your hands at weird angles like playing a 3ds does.

angel85 said:
Why not just call it "the Yakko Warner" instead of the "inverse Donald Duck?"
... or "the Mickey Mouse"?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
President Bagel said:
Super Mario World's controls are flawless. Don't remember ever in my life hearing anyone complain about the controls in that game. It's aged beautifully, and if I were asked to recommend one and only one video game to someone who's never played a video game before, it would be Super Mario World.
I wasn't saying that Super Mario World wasn't good. I'm saying that that game was more difficult than SM64.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
Drathnoxis said:
Saelune said:
I don't understand this sentiment at all. Did you actually have an N64? Because that controller was actually really comfortable to hold. You have some nice grips to hold onto and all the buttons are in good positions. It doesn't make you contort your hands at weird angles like playing a 3ds does.

Are you kidding me? The N64 has been argued to have the worst controller design of any mainstream console to date. You often had to contort your hands to weird angles. It was incredibly confusing to know which way to hold the controller. It had 3 grips, 2 sets of arrow buttons, and no actual analog sticks. Of course it would be easier to use with an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller they were actually built around precision and the concept of human hands.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Epyc Wynn said:
Are you kidding me? The N64 has been argued to have the worst controller design of any mainstream console to date. You often had to contort your hands to weird angles. It was incredibly confusing to know which way to hold the controller. It had 3 grips, 2 sets of arrow buttons, and no actual analog sticks. Of course it would be easier to use with an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller they were actually built around precision and the concept of human hands.
What do you mean no analog sticks? What about the analog stick right there on the middle prong? And it was only confusing to know how to hold the controller until you realized that 90% of games don't use the left half of the controller. I'm holding my N64 controller at this very moment and every button except the L button and D pad are comfortably in reach of my thumbs and fingers. It's actually kind of neat now that I think about it because it was comfortable back when I was a kid too, when my hands were about half the size they are now!

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
Drathnoxis said:
Epyc Wynn said:
What do you mean no analog sticks? What about the analog stick right there on the middle prong? And it was only confusing to know how to hold the controller until you realized that 90% of games don't use the left half of the controller. I'm holding my N64 controller at this very moment and every button except the L button and D pad are comfortably in reach of my thumbs and fingers. It's actually kind of neat now that I think about it because it was comfortable back when I was a kid too, when my hands were about half the size they are now!
The N64 is considered one of the first controllers to ever use an analog stick. However, I cannot really agree with that statement most take as fact. I'm unfamiliar with the exact technological differences but from experience the sensitivity barely existed. It felt less like a pressure-sensitive stick and more like pushing against 8 different buttons with a stick. It's like calling the stick in a car an analog stick.

If 90% of games didn't use the left half of the controller... that is really bad controller design and they likely wasted a lot of money on the extra unnecessary plastic for that portion of the controller.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Epyc Wynn said:
The N64 is considered one of the first controllers to ever use an analog stick. However, I cannot really agree with that statement most take as fact. I'm unfamiliar with the exact technological differences but from experience the sensitivity barely existed. It felt less like a pressure-sensitive stick and more like pushing against 8 different buttons with a stick. It's like calling the stick in a car an analog stick.

If 90% of games didn't use the left half of the controller... that is really bad controller design and they likely wasted a lot of money on the extra unnecessary plastic for that portion of the controller.
How much time have you actually spent with an N64, because I'm having a hard time believing it's very much. It's not the best stick ever put on a controller but it's perfectly functional and nothing like a shift stick in a car. Yeah it has the octagonal guide for the stick, but it's not like it forces the stick into the corners, you can still move it along the sides of the octagon to move at any angle you want. I don't even notice it when I'm playing, and I'm pretty sure I never have.

It probably wasn't the best idea to have the dpad off to the side, but the analog stick was a brand new feature and I think they wanted to be able to give developers the option to stick with the old style of controls if they wanted. If they wanted to use the dpad control scheme the player hold the outside prongs and has access to the L button, if they want analog the player holds the right and middle prongs and has access to the z button. It ended up kind of pointless, but it didn't really make the controller any less comfortable to use.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
Cap said:
Ah, Crash Bandicoot: the Sonic clone nobody asked for about to get the sequel nobody asked for.
Ironically Crash Bandicoot has better controls in his games than any 3D Sonic game to date.