Zero Punctuation: Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

MattH

Dec 30, 2016
I have no clue what he's hinting at about SM64. It's the first time I've ever heard anything like this, and it seems devoid of all logic (temporal or otherwise). That game is pretty much flawless, as much as it can be (just like any other game could be). And I see some seem to have jumped on the bandwagon with controller discussions. I know that is a recent trend among smart-asses regarding the N64, because some people just need a discussion topic, I suppose, and if it's only jeering and subconscious impressions regarding the looks. The devil knows what that is about, and only he cares, because the controls are flawless and some of the best of any 3D-platformer.

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
Johnny Novgorod said:
Cap said:
Ah, Crash Bandicoot: the Sonic clone nobody asked for about to get the sequel nobody asked for.
Crash Bandicoot was doing 3D long before Sanic.
Yeah, and it was so incompetently done it killed the joke of a franchise. And good riddance.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Yahtzee couldn't be more wrong about Mario 64, it remains one of the greatest platformers perhaps only bettered by Super Mario Galaxy.

The love of Crash Bandicoot surprises me, I think Naughty Dog is has joined the ranks of companies that can seeming do no wrong no matter what.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Epyc Wynn said:
Are you kidding me? The N64 has been argued to have the worst controller design of any mainstream console to date. You often had to contort your hands to weird angles. It was incredibly confusing to know which way to hold the controller. It had 3 grips, 2 sets of arrow buttons, and no actual analog sticks. Of course it would be easier to use with an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller they were actually built around precision and the concept of human hands.
It was the first to use a proper thumbstick and was leaps and bounds ahead. By today's standards it's not great but that's innovation. In any case, you could still control Mario flawlessly despite the inaccuracies of the controller. When you play the virtual console version it's even better.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
MattH said:
I have no clue what he's hinting at about SM64. It's the first time I've ever heard anything like this, and it seems devoid of all logic (temporal or otherwise). That game is pretty much flawless, as much as it can be (just like any other game could be). And I see some seem to have jumped on the bandwagon with controller discussions. I know that is a recent trend among smart-asses regarding the N64, because some people just need a discussion topic, I suppose, and if it's only jeering and subconscious impressions regarding the looks. The devil knows what that is about, and only he cares, because the controls are flawless and some of the best of any 3D-platformer.
This^^

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
Donkey Kong 64 looks vastly superior to Mario 64. Play a few hours into both games, then tell me which one looks better. One is significantly more polygonal and poorly textured than the other in addition to having far less varied mechanics.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Johnny Novgorod said:
Cap said:
Ah, Crash Bandicoot: the Sonic clone nobody asked for about to get the sequel nobody asked for.
Only two months - Crash Bandicoot released in September 1996, Sonic 3D Blast released in November 1996.

Cap said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Cap said:
Yeah, and it was so incompetently done it killed the joke of a franchise. And good riddance.
Last I checked, Sonic was still alive and kicking.

beddo said:
The love of Crash Bandicoot surprises me, I think Naughty Dog is has joined the ranks of companies that can seeming do no wrong no matter what.
How many companies like that exist though? The only ones I can think of that appear beyond reproach, with any criticism met with outrage, are CD Projekt Red and Blizzard North.

(Before we get into semantics, there's undoubtedly companies that have better 'street cred' than others, but criticism towards them is usually much more readily tolerated.)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hawki said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Cap said:
Only two months - Crash Bandicoot released in September 1996, Sonic 3D Blast released in November 1996.
I don't know if you've played Sonic 3D Blast or even looked at a screenshot but despite the name it's not a fully 3D game in the Mario 64 or Crash Bandicoot sense of the term. Only the character models are pre-rendered in 3D - otherwise it's an isometric perspective game like so many others on the SNES (i.e. Kirby's Dream Course). The first main/proper 3D Sonic game is Adventure, which came out 1998 - 2 years and change after Crash Bandicoot.

As for Sanic being "alive and kicking"... sure, I guess people in a vegetative state are still technically alive, and there's the occasional reflex kick here and there...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Johnny Novgorod said:
I don't know if you've played Sonic 3D Blast or even looked at a screenshot but despite the name it's not a fully 3D game in the Mario 64 or Crash Bandicoot sense of the term. Only the character models are pre-rendered in 3D - otherwise it's an isometric perspective game like so many others on the SNES (i.e. Kirby's Dream Course). The first main/proper 3D Sonic game is Adventure, which came out 1998 - 2 years and change after Crash Bandicoot.
I have played 3D Blast, I'd call it a 3D game in that you have a 360 range of movement, and the ability to go up and down, whereas previous Sonic games only utilized two dimensions (left, right, and the ability to jump). Even something like Crash is still different compared to Super Mario 64 or Sonic Adventure, as you're still funnelled down narrow paths, just with three dimensions of movement, while SM64 and the adventure fields of SA1 are far more open.

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
Hawki said:
Cap said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Cap said:
Last I checked, Sonic was still alive and kicking.
Good for it.

Now try reading my post in the context it was meant.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Cap said:
What context? Assuming I'm reading it in the right context, Sonic 3D Blast (or Sonic Adventure, depends where you drawn the line) "killed" a franchise (in terms of quality, if not continuation) that was already bad. I disagree, hence my post.

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
Hawki said:
Cap said:
What context? Assuming I'm reading it in the right context, Sonic 3D Blast (or Sonic Adventure, depends where you drawn the line) "killed" a franchise (in terms of quality, if not continuation) that was already bad. I disagree, hence my post.
God's fist, it's like teaching a suit of armour to swim.

What is the topic of the thread as a whole?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Cap said:
Hawki said:
Cap said:
God's fist, it's like teaching a suit of armour to swim.

What is the topic of the thread as a whole?
Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy. Which doesn't make any sense in the context of your post, as it isn't a sequel (if we're going even further back), and didn't kill either the Crash or Sonic franchises, if anything, reviving the former.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
Steve the Pocket said:
I never played the first Crash because all I've seen in the way of hypersexualized fan art is an aged-up version of Coco.
That's probably because Coco came second and was really just a little-sistered back-down of "Tawna"

4Aces

May 29, 2012
The next time I play a game with breakables, I am going to mod them all to bleed (and perhaps scream). For science... and immersion! Thanks for gameplay Yahtzee!