Zero Punctuation: Crysis 2

deeman010

Jul 3, 2009
The aliens probably attack America all the time because its probably the "strongest" nation out there given technological standards.

deeman010

Jul 3, 2009
The aliens probably attack America all the time because its probably the "strongest" nation out there given technological standards.

Badwolf14

Aug 6, 2010
Wheatley said:
I'm suprised he didn't point out the glaring AI issues this game has. I frequently dont need to cloak because all the enemies are busy walking into walls and dumpsters.
maybe that was his point when he said that he basically cloaked the whole game with a cappucino break every so often lol...not saying ur wrong or anything just speculating

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
So, it wasn't just my over-active imagination that made me think that there'd be a plot point in which you're basically a dead guy acting as a guiding intelligence for the unstoppable suit. I figured it was hyperbole, but I'm glad it was actually utilized in gameplay because it sounded interesting to me.

Maybe I will pick this up after all...

Chucktanium

Jul 11, 2010
Groovy. I was a bit skeptical that it would just turn out as another 4-hour-exlposion like black ops but now I guess I'll check it out.

And I'm dying to see Yahtzee take on Homefront, which I'm pretty sure incorporates one HalfLife-ish "OmgLookAtAllThisDeathWarIsTerrible" moment then tosses you a .50 cal and lets you loose on a wave of NK soldiers that are getting their faces melted off. Then it rewards you a high-five and a cliffhanger

CptRumGuy

Jul 31, 2008
Ashcrexl said:
CptRumGuy said:
Great review, but did they discontinue Extra Consideration and Extra Punctuation? They were both missing this week. I thought maybe it was just a break week or something, but the links that were usually underneath the ZP videos aren't there anymore.
yahtzee did an absolutely brilliant extra punctuation this week. it was actually a little moving.

anyways, i want to play crysis 2, but i want to play the first one first, which is out of the question right now. so maybe i'll exercise my patience a bit.

you didn't like west side story, yahtzee?
Huh, yeah I see now...I checked several times yesterday and it never showed up for me. Weird.

Nashidar

Jun 2, 2010
Ah awesome. I was actually watching the Pokemon one when I saw on Twitter that this had come out.

What the hell am I doing awake at 2:30am? Sigh. Wish they would release these videos at a nice AEST time.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That sums up how I feel about Crysis 2. Not sure if I'll trade it in or keep it. I too stealthed through the final big battle. It was crazy easy once you have a fully upgraded stealth power. The reason I did this is because he sure has a problem fighting more than three guys at a time, even with armor on.
Noticed how he didn't mention multiplayer. That's because there is no multiplayer. No there's not. Shut up! La la la la I'm not listening!

demoncub1990

Apr 16, 2011
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Crysis 2

This week, Zero Punctuation wonders why New York City is such a common destruction target.

Watch Video
because doing it in pitsburgh would be too cruel.
unfortunatly i don't have a ps3 or a 360 so i guess it's god of war for me since i have a ps2.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
So last night (or this morning, technically) I had a dream where I was hanging out with Yahtzee and his girlfriend (if he has one?) at some kind of convention, where he had taken the concept of Mana Bar on the road. So we were just shooting the shit in the hotel where he was setting up a makeshift Mana Bar. It was awesome.
Apparently my subconscious fiends for ZP every Wednesday without me even knowing it.

Excellent and very funny review, and actually felt very fair and even handed. I also don't understand why Crytek went out of their way to wave their middle finger at PC gamers this time around, considering PC gamers are the only reason they even exist.

SckizoBoy said:

WTF IS THIS?!
LOL!
that made me laugh more than this episode of ZP
f'ing captchas!

odolwa

Feb 15, 2011
Well Yahtz, if the story of Crysis 2, with its beaten and bruised protagonist being barely bound by his body suit appeals to you, I whole heartedly recommend Berserk!

It's published by Dark Horse so, if they picked you up, you know they've got to have good taste. Give it a go!

drunken_munki

Nov 14, 2007
VanQQisH said:
I still don't want to play this game until I finish the first one, but I just can't bring myself to finish a game where I can stealth through a bunch of guards, take cover behind some ferns over 200 metres and get shot at because apparently those guards have x-ray vision and telescopic sights.
Yeah, it was quite strange. Not matter how 'realistic' they made the game, I just couldn't understand how the dev who coded the AI though that was a good idea? Same problem with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. .

It isnt fun when you start to consider that the game is cheating.

However, I played most of the game stealthed up, so it was possible. Kind of. Well, you fire off a few shots, gets shot back instantly by 5 guards through foliage. Run to a rock and stealth up again. Bit boring actually.

Good news though, the single player mission was only about 4 hours. I look at the game as a fancy tech demo with a bit of a story to it. Never did buy the expansion pack. Will not buy Crysis 2 either.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
drunken_munki said:
VanQQisH said:
I still don't want to play this game until I finish the first one, but I just can't bring myself to finish a game where I can stealth through a bunch of guards, take cover behind some ferns over 200 metres and get shot at because apparently those guards have x-ray vision and telescopic sights.
Yeah, it was quite strange. Not matter how 'realistic' they made the game, I just couldn't understand how the dev who coded the AI though that was a good idea? Same problem with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. .
Yeah this always really irked me. Like why bother to make this landscape with so many cover options and attack methods and entry points and a stealth mechanic, and then render them all pointless with godlike AI.
You could kind of make it better by editing some .ini files, but it never really went away. Thankfully in STALKER there's a dedicated modding community and there a bunch of mods out there that drastically improve and rebalance the AI.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Finally someone who shares the same feelings about this game.

I still prefer the first one though...

Kyouki1980

May 26, 2008
Ruley said:
If he remembered that last part wrong what's to say there were other parts of the review where he incorrectly recalled the games events!?
I remember having intercourse with an alien shemale that had an octopuc head... But again that could have just been me.
Now that I think about it I really should have gotten her number. Damn.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
harvz said:
...maybe i should finish playing crysis 1 and warhead first, not just the first 5 minutes of each.
If you've got Crysis 1, yeah, go for it.

Warhead was stupid though. As far as the game goes, it's the same, the actual story to it is incredibly dumb and pointless though.

fisk0

Aug 19, 2009
SckizoBoy said:
Thought he'd rag on it more. Still, I preferred it to Crysis1... which is a bit weird, maybe due to my colour blindness...

WTF IS THIS?!
Hey, those are standard code page 437 characters, just reboot your computer with ANSI.SYS loaded and you shouldn't have any problems entering those in!

Oh, and the video, it was great. Now, many have made the HL2 comparison, and I totally agree with it. I also love how Crysis 2 to a great extent uses the kind of storytelling that Valve used in the Half-life series too, sometimes combined with Bio/System Shock style logs and such, but very rarely taking the control away from the player to tell or show something (except in the tutorial).