Zero Punctuation: Daikatana - John Romero's B****

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Daikatana - John Romero's B****

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews the epic failure that was Daikatana.

Watch Video

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
So they added an option to get rid of the save gem system but didn't make the sidekicks unnecessary to complete the level?

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
You know P.T. is a free demo that is actually a playable game and not a pre rendered trailer right? But you probably knew that would be in the comments.

LenticularHomicide

Oct 24, 2013
Wait, wait, wait, wait, hold up. You got a snowshovel to maneuver those brain-dead twats laughably known as sidekicks? Lucky sod.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
thanatos388 said:
You know P.T. is a free demo that is actually a playable game and not a pre rendered trailer right? But you probably knew that would be in the comments.
At least it's free, KOJIMA.

Jan 12, 2012
The Auteur Problem: Having one man's vision realised can be either unique and beautiful or utter shit, and it's really hard to tell which way a given project is going until it's too late. Having a corporate vision realised is impossible, as they have yet to design a game console that ties you down and steals your wallet.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Danm, I was really hoping this week was Five Night At Freddy's. I know it was out weeks ago but still given that it's the dry period of game release now.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
In addition to Deus Ex there's also Anachronox which sits somewhere in between, great idea and writing but incredibly buggy. With all the fan patches and whatnot it's mostly playable today.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Never really heard of that game before. Forced me to do some digging and see which other great 'critical and/or commercial failures' might be unearthed before too long. Some I knew to be bad, lazy, or merely overambitious (ET, Duke Nukem Forever, Shenmue etc). What surprised me was to see Physconauts, Okami, and Beyond Good and Evil in that list as well. The former was actually no great shock. Part of its fame was that it sold very poorly initially.
However, the other two. I think a future episode could be done using either of those titles as an example of why 'high quality and great originality is no guarantee of success'.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Impressions unclear: Daikatana in Steam Library.

I think the biggest lesson should actually be "if you're going to act like a rock star, you'd better be able to back it up.

Loki_The_Good said:
As someone with a few mental disabilities I found the whole "Retarded moments in retarded retards" joke absolutely.... hilarious.

Now let's all wait for someone with no disabilities to call you a horrible person on my behalf.
And while we're at it, let's ignore anyone with intellectual disabilities who might dislike the word "retarded" being thrown around.

Scarim Coral said:
Danm, I was really hoping this week was Five Night At Freddy's. I know it was out weeks ago but still given that it's the dry period of game release now.
What? A review? Wouldn't it be better if he played through it? I'm sure the scariness would lead to some really scared reactions from Yahtzee.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Duke Nukem: Time to Kill did everything better, and it didn't feature sidekicks as dumb as a bag of bricks. In fact, I'm playing TtK right now.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
With the influx of bad games in the general market, I would not be surprised if this was re-made or had a sequel.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I recall liking this game when I was young and innocent and unaware of the dangers of the world. I even defended it because of that.

Then I replayed it and found that it was shit and that the hate was justified. So there you go..

I guess I was made his *****.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, I'll credit Romero one thing: He did give us "I can't leave without my buddy, Superfly.
A phrase so ridiculous and strangely, so conducive towards co-op gaming. (even if it's in a semi-sarcastic sort of way)