Zero Punctuation: Dante's Inferno

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Are you serious? You have said that DMC, Bayonetta, GOW and Dante's Inferno are a genre unto themselves but you have yet to explain what specific elements they share that other games do not. No one knows what you are talking about.
Maybe the real root of this issue is that you have no idea what the word "genre" even means. You're just putting it in the context of something you saw on written in a magazine or gaming websites. I was not wrong in my use of the word. Ask your estranged English teacher. Don't bother to tell me that I told you I misused it - if I did, I was clearly mistaken to give someone as desperate-to-be-right as you that much leeway to delude yourself.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
geldonyetich said:
Are you serious? You have said that DMC, Bayonetta, GOW and Dante's Inferno are a genre unto themselves but you have yet to explain what specific elements they share that other games do not. No one knows what you are talking about.
Maybe the real root of this issue is that you have no idea what the word "genre" even means. You're just putting it in the context of something you saw on written in a magazine or gaming websites. I was not wrong in my use of the word. Ask your estranged English teacher. Don't bother to tell me that I told you I misused it - if I did, I was clearly mistaken.
Yes in fact I do know what it means. I also know that you have not actually explained how all of these games are a part of a genre that Kung fu Master or Legend are not a part of.

For the curious here is a link to the definition:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/genre

UnSeEn60

Nov 20, 2009
Forum battles are sad...I'm losing faith in the human race as I read these posts.

On another note, good ZP this week, though I'm not sure if I agree with Yahtzee. It's far too easy to dismiss the game as a God of War rip-off, and I'd hoped he wouldn't stoop to that like Gamespot did. God of War wasn't exactly original, was it?

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Yes in fact I do know what it means. I also know that you have not actually explained how all of these games are a part of a genre that Kung fu Master or Legend are not a part of.

For the curious here is a link to the definition:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/genre
Very good! Now, why don't you go read it? Or do you need me to hold your hand while your brain goes to the bathroom, passing out the stupid that's stopping you from seeing there's nothing wrong with the way I used the word genre?

Hint: definition 3, noun.
(Although even definition 1, noun, would work given that there's no universal authorities that defines genre terms and what they encapsulate.)

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
geldonyetich said:

Very good! Now, why don't you go read it? Or do you need me to hold your hand while your brain goes to the bathroom, passing out the stupid that's stopping you from seeing there's nothing wrong with the way I used the word genre?

Hint: definition 3, noun.
(Although even definition 1, noun, would work given that there's no universal authorities that defines genre terms and what they encapsulate.)
You don't get it do you.

A. Genre can be used in the way you have used it.
B. The assertion that DMC did the genre first, is factually incorrect Because of A.
C. If one suggests that B is false because DMC et all is set a part in such a way that precludes it from being a part of the existing brawler genre and it's subdivisions, what sets it a part must actually be defined, otherwise B is still true.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
B. The assertion that DMC did the genre first, is factually incorrect Because of A.
Oh, that made me LOL.

"Hey, because I can use the word genre in a specific way, it makes something factually incorrect."

I mentioned that you're desperate to bend time and space to your whims to be right. Thanks for providing a specific example.

C. If one suggests that B is false because DMC et all is set a part in such a way that precludes it from being a part of the existing brawler genre and it's subdivisions, what sets it a part must actually be defined, otherwise B is still true.
Make that two examples, the second one being even more extremely out there than the first. It goes to reason - you base a premise upon an already faulty premise and you end up with an even faultier one.
UnSeEn60 said:
Forum battles are sad...I'm losing faith in the human race as I read these posts.
You and me both. I admit I'm a part of the problem, but I see myself as being a bit of the ledge of sanity that the demons of stupidity are pulling themselves out of the pit upon. If the ledge goes away, the demons do not assert themselves on this physical plane, but they still remain in the realm of ignorance. That I bother to provide them a means to manifest at all causes me to question my own credentials as a ledge of sanity.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
geldonyetich said:
Oh, that made me LOL.

"Hey, because I can use the word genre in a specific way, it makes something factually incorrect."

I mentioned that you're desperate to bend time and space to your whims to be right. Thanks for providing a specific example.

Make that two examples, the second one being even more extremely out there than the first.
I'm trying to find out just what it is that makes you assert that DMC invented a genre. That I point out that something is factually incorrect unless it is defined isn't evidence of anything save logic. I'm also trying to tell you that belittling people while not actually explaining your position doesn't make your position cool, or mature.

If you the sky is polka-dot during the day and I say no it isn't and show you a picture of the sky being blue as proof of reasoning it only shows the reasoning behind me statement.

Sentient6

Nov 26, 2009
"It's like my right hand on a Sunday afternoon"... Jesus-fucking-christ, how the fuck does he come up wuth stuff like that? I loled for 3 minutes straight...

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I'm trying to find out just what it is that makes you assert that DMC invented a genre.
Technically, I didn't even say this.

First, we consider that when I used the word "genre" I was referring specifically to a type of games that have characteristics unique to God of War, Devil May Cry, and Dante's Inferno.

Second, consider that when I used the word "first," I was also referring specifically to God of War, Devil May Cry, and Dante's Inferno.

So that's a second misinterpretation you've done. You've not only misinterpretted me about the use of the word "genre" but you also misinterpretted me about the use of the word "first" by thinking I'm implying this would reflect anywhere outside of those three games. (Well, four if you include Bayonetta).

Like it or not, out of those three (or four) games, Devil May Cry was first.
If you the sky is polka-dot during the day and I say no it isn't and show you a picture of the sky being blue as proof of reasoning it only shows the reasoning behind me statement.
Given the wanton nature if your misinterpretting everything I said, it doesn't matter what color the sky is.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
geldonyetich said:
I'm trying to find out just what it is that makes you assert that DMC invented a genre.
Technically, I didn't even say this.

First, we consider that when I used the word "genre" I was referring specifically to a type of games that have characteristics unique to God of War, Devil May Cry, and Dante's Inferno.

Second, consider that when I used the word "first," I was also referring specifically to God of War, Devil May Cry, and Dante's Inferno.

So that's a second misinterpretation you've done. You've not only misinterpretted me about the use of the word "genre" but you also misinterpretted me about the use of the word "first" by thinking I'm implying this would reflect anywhere outside of those three games. (Well, four if you include Bayonetta).

Like it or not, out of those three (or four) games, Devil May Cry was first.
Given the wanton nature if your misinterpretting everything I said, it doesn't matter what color the sky is.
What are those elements though, and how then is it possible to say that it is the DMC formula given the fact that these games don't exist in some artificial vacuum that only you seem to know about? Even if we take what you said at face value it still makes no sense because these games all play very differently from DMC. With the except of DI as it relates to God of War, the formulas of Bayonetta and God of War and DI are distinct from DMC outside of the most general comparisons.

sbrff

Feb 26, 2010
oh, i almoast bought this for my 360 when this game was new!

now i`m going to borrow it from a friend, and after i`m done with that i`m buying god of war collection for my new PS3 (= still have my 360 though =)and them i`ma buy GOD OF WAR III AWSOME =D

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
sbrff said:
oh, i almoast bought this for my 360 when this game was new!

now i`m going to borrow it from a friend, and after i`m done with that i`m buying god of war collection for my new PS3 (= still have my 360 though =)and them i`ma buy GOD OF WAR III AWSOME =D
I'm not finding the game very fun personally but it is well made. I have to give Visceral that credit at least.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
What are those elements though, and how then is it possible to say that it is the DMC formula given the fact that these games don't exist in some artificial vacuum that only you seem to know about? Even if we take what you said at face value it still makes no sense because these games all play very differently from DMC. With the except of DI the formulas of Bayonetta and God of War are distinct from DMC outside of the most general comparisons.
This is the first good question you asked me. Unfortunately (and I know this will sound like a cop out) I don't have the energy to isolate the specifics anymore. Besides, words aren't very good at conveying some things, the "feel" of a game is one such thing.

Suffice to say, if you've played Devil May Cry, Bayonetta (made by the DMC creators), God of War, and Dante's Inferno, you will notice a very specific isometric perspective, pacing, and interactivity mechanism involving combo chains, jumping, and enemy dispatching, that is quite unique from your earlier example [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDK02S1tryo]. Come to think of it, there was another game - Heavenly Sword - I'd include that as well.

Besides, even if you did manage to find a game that pre-dated Devil May Cry and had enough characteristics involved that I believed it passed, why do you think I would have any reason to care? All I was saying is, "hey, these kinds of games are becoming derivative, I wish the developers would innovate a bit more."

If you found an earlier game, what does that change? I'm still bored of it. The more games you can find that are similar, the more you simply reinforce my point that these games are derivatives and, as such, boring.

Even though I don't care, I wouldn't even be wrong as pertains to mentioning DMC as being the "first," because the context of the message did not include any earlier games. I could very well be meaning the first of only two games (God of War and Devil May Cry) because those are the only two that were mentioned when I said that.

supergoon89

Nov 11, 2009
lol, yahtzee ran out of breath- 1:40 - 1:45
i ROFLed...and actually rewinded the video just to hear it again...
"on his face"!..GASP!! "

kekekekeke

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
geldonyetich said:
What are those elements though, and how then is it possible to say that it is the DMC formula given the fact that these games don't exist in some artificial vacuum that only you seem to know about? Even if we take what you said at face value it still makes no sense because these games all play very differently from DMC. With the except of DI the formulas of Bayonetta and God of War are distinct from DMC outside of the most general comparisons.
This is the first good question you asked me. Unfortunately (and I know this will sound like a cop out) I don't have the energy to isolate the specifics anymore. Besides, words aren't very good at conveying some things, the "feel" of a game is one such thing.

Suffice to say, if you've played Devil May Cry, Bayonetta (made by the DMC creators), God of War, and Dante's Inferno, you will notice a very specific isometric perspective, pacing, and interactivity mechanism involving combo chains and enemy dispatching, that is quite unique from your earlier example [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDK02S1tryo].

Besides, even if you did manage to find a game that pre-dated Devil May Cry and had enough characteristics involved that I believed it passed, why do you think I would have any reason to care? All I was saying is, "hey, these kinds of games are becoming derivative, I wish the developers would innovate a bit more." If you found an earlier game, what does that change? I'm still bored of it.

Even though I don't care, I wouldn't even be wrong as pertains to mentioning DMC as being the "first," because the context of the message did not include any earlier games. I could very well be meaning the first of only two games (God of War and Devil May Cry) because those are the only two that were mentioned when I said that.
I don't nessecarily care but I would say that your definition is rather weak. Gekido probably fits the bill depending on just which DMC you are talking about. I would continue saying that even if one was to accept your criteria you run face first into the fact that so many other games share boatloads of similarity to even the first DMC that your own logic cancels itself out; because the distinction is rendered meaningless, due to all of the other elements these games have in common with those other games. The way in which you try to distinguish these games flows in the opposite direction as well, with no trouble.

It's like the debate some people have about the difference between science fiction and fantasy. Or more appropriately the distinctness of Fantasy from Science-Fiction. When considered logically there really is no reasonable argument that can be made for fantasy being distinct from science fiction. Or at least I have yet to hear it.

In order for them to be distinct from each other one has to do more than say that within the context of the story in question the events are plausible based on the laws of that world. What such an idea really says is that if the author decides to explain it, it is not "magic" and therefore not "Fantasy." That isn't much of a distinction really, at the end of the day Fantasy is really just a type of "soft" science fiction.

Or for a slightly less verbose example the difference between a god and an alien is absolutely nothing. Gods, especially the more abstract variety, are by their very nature alien; regardless of whether there is a distinction made between physical and non physical.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I don't nessecarily care but I would say that your definition is rather weak. Gekido probably fits the bill depending on just which DMC you are talking about. I would probably continue that even if one was to accept your criteria you run face first into the fact that so many other games share boatloads of similarity to even the first DMC that your own logic cancels itself out because the distinction is rendered meaningless due to all of the other elements in common with those other games. The way in which you try to distinguish these games flows in the opposite direction as well with no trouble.
That would make a lot of sense if it weren't being framed against a completely imaginary context of an argument that's not happening.

It's like the debate some people have about the difference between science fiction and fantasy. Or more appropriately the distinctness of Fantasy from Science-Fiction. When considered logically there really is no reasonable argument that can be made for fantasy being distinct from science fiction. Or at least I have yet to hear it.

In order for them to be distinct from each other one has to do more than say that within the context of the story in question the events are plausible based on the laws of that world. What such an idea really says is that if the author decides to explain it, it is not "magic" and therefore not "Fantasy." That isn't much of a distinction really, at the end of the day Fantasy is really just a type of "soft" science fiction.

Or for a slightly less verbose example the difference between a god and an alien is absolutely nothing. Gods, especially the more abstract variety, are by their very nature alien; regardless of whether there is a distinction made between physical and non physical.
Well, you're still hung up on "genre," which is something I was never that hung up on considering how little it matters to the actual point I was trying to make... but now you're actually disproving what you said earlier:

If you can't distinguish Fantasy from Science-Fiction, yet the two exist as popular genres, what's so wrong with my distinguishing games that are similar to Devil May Cry, Heavenly Sword, Bayonetta, God of War, Prince of Persia, ect as being a type of unnamed genre with specific characteristics in which I am bored?

In other words, earlier you said:
And while I don't agree with the truth of these premises, I would like to point out that what you just said is the opposite of what you're saying here. Because genre can be used in whatever way you see fit, an assertion that any body of works belonging to a genre is unable to be determined to be factually incorrect because of A.

Ah, who am I kidding? I'm taking you off ignore. Young Grasshopper does cause his ill-adjusted sensei much frustration, but this is merely the inquiring mind of youth.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
geldonyetich said:
I don't nessecarily care but I would say that your definition is rather weak. Gekido probably fits the bill depending on just which DMC you are talking about. I would probably continue that even if one was to accept your criteria you run face first into the fact that so many other games share boatloads of similarity to even the first DMC that your own logic cancels itself out because the distinction is rendered meaningless due to all of the other elements in common with those other games. The way in which you try to distinguish these games flows in the opposite direction as well with no trouble.
That would make a lot of sense if it weren't being framed against a completely imaginary context of an argument that's not happening.
But it is happening, all I'm doing is deconstructing the logic (argument) you are using here. Though yes there is no confrontation or debate persay. You already presented your argument by posting as you have. The only thing I have been trying to point out is the flaw in your reasoning. (Argument.)

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
But it is happening, all I'm doing is deconstructing the logic (argument) you are using here. Though yes there is no confrontation or debate persay. You already presented your argument by posting as you have. The only thing I have been trying to point out is the flaw in your reasoning. (Argument.)
No, young grasshopper, you are deconstructing the logic (argument) that you are imagining.

Sensei only wishes to express he is bored with games similar to God of War and Devil May Cry, and consequently that he wishes developers would innovate more.

Anything else you think is going on here, such as the importance of "genre" or "first", is but an illusion you have wrought for yourself.

What, then, could you hope to accomplish? Would you like to attempt to disprove I am not bored with what I am bored with?

Actually, I suppose I was having an argument. It wasn't with you, however. It wasn't about games or definitions of words, per se. It was specifically with our failure to communicate. As I've yet to win this argument, I can only assume we're still failing to communicate.