Zero Punctuation: Darksiders

sumguitardude

Jan 20, 2010
Ive watched every single one of ur reviews Yahtzee and this has to be one of your best!
It was so damn good i had too make an account to comment how goditwasXD
frikken awesum!

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
I think this one was the best one yet! But I want one of my friends to buy this so I can laugh at him and point all of the copying out.

Ildecia

Nov 8, 2009
well played Yahzee; i enjoyed it and thats what it was meant to do... right?

anyway... all of the points were rational and true...

boomerang...

hookshot...

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
C'mon the game can't be that bad, it looks good, and BTW the Warhammer 40.000 universe is fucking awesome! Since he dislikes rts I assume a DoW review is out of the question so I'm wating for W40k Space Marine to come out!

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
His reviews are getting better again. Thank god for this quarter of the year being full of games.

Keanotix

Jan 13, 2010
Im sorry, but it is NOTHING like god of war, zelda yes that i cant deny, know what else it's like? Soul Reaver, metroid, any other adventure game you care to name, thats how they work. You run around an open world, getting access to new areas by getting new toys or powers while going through 'dungeons' and slaying big bad guys. God of war is a linear action game, the only similarity is the soul collecting which doesnt even help you buy the same thing. War buys new moves and items, kratos levels up his weapons. The single button finisher move on weak enemies is a GoW thing though. The only problem with Darksiders (apart from the title making no sense) is it's VERY similar to the above mentioned adventure games and it doesnt do anything that new. But it's ok as it's simple and bloody enough to be fun. Having said that, the next 3 games he mentioned will probably have similar faults/pros so this may be a weak arguement.

f0re1gn

DON'T PANIC
Jan 21, 2009
I'm glad this review was better than the Torchlight one. I actually thought he'd stopped making good stuff)

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Captain Pancake said:
Well, who is a manly game character?

Besides Captain Price, that is.

[sub]Don't mess with him, he's been on eastenders...[/sub]
The best one of game actors being elsewhere was Sephiroth on Friends...ah I can imagine One Winged Angel while Chandler sits there making sarcastic comments about over compensating due to his 7 foot katana before his head getting sliced off.
best episode ever.

qazmatoz

Sep 17, 2009
The God of War comment in the beginning about Bayonetta is just dumb since it's by the creator of Devil May Cry, which came out years before God of War.

Namulith

May 27, 2009
Surprised no one has mentioned this: Dante's Inferno (loosely based on, well, the Divine Comedy) and Bayonetta (based on Devil May Cry and...the Divine comedy) are being called God of War clones, a game which based it's own gameplay on Ninja Gaiden and the original Devil May Cry (which is even more loosely based on, wait for it..................................the Divine Comedy)

Edited for clarity

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Wait, there's seriously a gun that opens blue and orange portals? That wasn't just a joke? Shit, this game rips off more than I thought.

Tala Black

Mar 5, 2008
If companies are going to combine game series how about god of war meets saints row 2. Over the top destroction and it is all about you not some character they made up. Actually i think saints row 2 plus some other games would be a great idea (devil may cry). Oh by the way I'm not the subjesting a sandbox game just the level of custimization and personality that went into the character.

please excuse any errors I am tired.

oh great review by the way

mysterj

Mar 27, 2009
Despite all the copying you mentioned, the game is actually amazingly fun.

I think you gave too little credit to its combat, the mechanics feels distinctively different than God of War, I actually thought the game give you so much options that you will never ever use (like creed2) for combat, rather than just pressing the square buttons repeatedly which only account for the beginning of the game.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Therumancer said:
Well God Of War wasn't especially unique itself, so I have mixed opinions about criticizing games for ripping it off. Zelda is a better complaint.

Very amusing review though.

Oh yes, one minor point I will make is that I think the comments about the "14 year old ideal of masculinity" sort of misses the target. Rather I'd simply say that the game is presenting typical masculinity, face it... guys are wired that way. The modern meterosexuals are more or less an attempt at self supression.

Or let me put it to you this way, we can either have a macho dude driven by a desire to protect, avenge, conquer, and destroy, who acts like a warrior (which mandates a degree of emotional repression while he's doing his thing), or some dude who wants to sit around and talk about his feelings and confusion over the state of human emotion constantly.

I suppose one of the big problems is that a compromise is VERY hard to do, which is why the tiny handfull of characters that pull it off are noteworthy. In general you've got a choice between a Soldier/Warrior, a sarcastic swashbuckler type, or some fruit who would be the the lead man for a chick flick (or one of those gay-seeming supernatural creatures from paranormal romance books and the movies based on them).

In general, I think the withdrawn attitude is pretty realistic to what people who survive via violence wind up like. Granted, they DO insert too much angst into it though which I do not see as a nessicary conclusion.

I suppose War could have been done as the witty "Swashbuckler" of the Nathan Drake mould, which is what you'd get the the "check it out, I'm a monster truck with legs" vibe. However I imagine Yahtzee would have hated that more...
The modern metrosexual is an attempt at self-repression? Really? First off, I think the whole concept of the 'metrosexual' is simply being a straight guy who knows how to dress well. Puts some thought into it. It's a play on the whole stereotype that gay men have inherently superior fashion sense. Doesn't really have much to do with anything deeper than how one dresses and carries themselves. The amount of care put into that.

But what you're trying to say is that the hyper masculinity of characters like War is somehow the true ideal of masculinity, and that's the real repression going on. Kids grow up to believe this stuff, and it stunts any other sort of emotional growth. Especially when any sign of emotion shown by men is labeled derogatively as "emo".

I don't think it's terribly hard to reach that middle ground that you're talking about, it happens all the time with great complex characters in literature and film. I think it's more a matter of western games completely pandering to the GI Joe fantasies of young boys. Obviously the japanese games tend to have a different take on the whole thing, treating their main characters more like sex-symbol radio stars. Thus the real divide I guess.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
While the game definitely does take a lot of things from other games, I feel that it's well-done enough to be enjoyable regardless. It's probably worth a rental instead of a purchase, but I'd say it's worth playing.

And I can't help but shake the feeling that if War's character was indeed acting along the lines of "look at me I'm a monster truck that walks like a man!" Yahtzee would still be saying how the character was pandering to pre-adolescent ideals of what masculinity is because of how full of himself War is and how macho he acts about the violence. But I guess that's just the nature of ZP reviews and it's what the audience wants.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Am I the only one that realizes the game Darksiders takes after is God of WAR?! LIKE, IT'S RIGHT THERE!!
WAAAARRR!!!

BonerMacTittyPants

Aug 3, 2009
Oh my god.

It's sooooo refreshing to see some actual humor on this site. I've tried hard to convince myself that there's more to The Escapist than Zero Punctuation, but my mind was set after seeing game dogs. Keep on bringing the funny to this site Yahtze. You're the only reason I come here, and I bet it's the same for many people.

Brilliant review, one of your best.