Zero Punctuation: Darksiders

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
lol awesome review but i think hes off a little, its more like...zelda ripoff, devil may cry ripoff, REAL god of war ripoff, then god of war =D

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Okay, so War does look like a four year old drew him up after reading Spawn comics for two weeks straight... I'm glad we're all agreed here. But how can stealing all your gameplay from GoW and Zelda be bad? Madman!!!

Also it wasn't as funny as usual... too much hate (or is it warped angst? fnar fnar).

AzureWrathHal

Jan 16, 2009
Gotta love the people that are like OOH I WAS GONNA GET THIS BUT YATZEE SAID THE DESIGN WAS BAD SO IM NOT GONNA. I guess when your mom buys all your games you can't afford to make up your own mind.

THAT said, the review was pretty funny. Even though I disagree with the sentiment that God of War somehow both invented and mastered the genre.

Cogzwell

Jul 10, 2008
I really enjoyed this game, i found it fun challenging and visually interesting, I also enjoyed the puzzles and although I personally think a combination like this works if your really that worried about 'originality' then enjoy the 2 games you have bought in the last 5 years. But i understand why Yahtzee wouldn't like this game, he does hold people to the standard of originality. And sense that's all he really talked about we know everything else is PERFECT (not really), also i thought Yahtzee once commented on a game only really using 1 main attack button because he said something like, 'if its all the players are going to do why does it matter.'

Although this does bring up something I'm kinda miffed about. Why is it now the entire hack n' slash genre is refereed to as "God of War" clone. I'm getting tired of it, oh sure God war probably was one of the most popular but it wasn't the first. And I bet you this God of War 3 is gonna be less original then this game.

And Dante's inferno is pretty much a carbon copy from what I've seen in the demo.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
One his better videos recently. I personally enjoyed Darksiders, but I do also agree with his complaints and the combat is kind of broken.

Bayonetta is definitely more Devil May Cry than God of War, but it's hardly a carbon copy of DMC unless DMC3's gameplay was quite a bit different from what I remember (Which is entirely possible, as I haven't played it in years)or DMC4 really changed things up (still haven't played it).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well God Of War wasn't especially unique itself, so I have mixed opinions about criticizing games for ripping it off. Zelda is a better complaint.

Very amusing review though.

Oh yes, one minor point I will make is that I think the comments about the "14 year old ideal of masculinity" sort of misses the target. Rather I'd simply say that the game is presenting typical masculinity, face it... guys are wired that way. The modern meterosexuals are more or less an attempt at self supression.

Or let me put it to you this way, we can either have a macho dude driven by a desire to protect, avenge, conquer, and destroy, who acts like a warrior (which mandates a degree of emotional repression while he's doing his thing), or some dude who wants to sit around and talk about his feelings and confusion over the state of human emotion constantly.

I suppose one of the big problems is that a compromise is VERY hard to do, which is why the tiny handfull of characters that pull it off are noteworthy. In general you've got a choice between a Soldier/Warrior, a sarcastic swashbuckler type, or some fruit who would be the the lead man for a chick flick (or one of those gay-seeming supernatural creatures from paranormal romance books and the movies based on them).

In general, I think the withdrawn attitude is pretty realistic to what people who survive via violence wind up like. Granted, they DO insert too much angst into it though which I do not see as a nessicary conclusion.

I suppose War could have been done as the witty "Swashbuckler" of the Nathan Drake mould, which is what you'd get the the "check it out, I'm a monster truck with legs" vibe. However I imagine Yahtzee would have hated that more...

Johnny Danger

Oct 19, 2008
I'll admit that he's right about the combat in that the only button you "need" is X but in my opinion the combat is really as fun as you make it. Even though you can get by with just pressing X it is a lot more fun to utilize all the moves in your arsenal.

The only problem is that they don't give you any incentive to vary your moves. If they had some sort of system like DMC where your "rank" increases and rewards you for being stylish, I would see this as a plus.

I still use all my moves anyways but hey, that's just me.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Radu889 said:
Yahtzee sounded a bit angrier this review.
cause he was channelling war I assume.

Also to calling Bayonetta God of War clone is a bit of a stretch. Now a DMC clone I could understand due to the emphasis on "stylish combat" compared to the more brutal kind employed by GoW and considering the creator of DMC was also involved in Bayonetta.

That being said this was one of the best ones for ages, every so often I feel ZP stagnates and the you do a bloody good one like this

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I expected him to unleash wrath against this game. I predict that the hate will grow more as he reviews the next set of clones.

ribonuge

Dec 7, 2009
A real return to form. "War looks like a Coral reef on legs". That rant made me laugh.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I find this one of the most hilarious reviews to date, especially considering how I agree with absolutely everything he said.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Yeah and after you review those god of war ripp off, and god of war....you'll have splatterhouse and castlevania: lord of shadows to look forward too....it's going to be an immensely fun year indeed...XP

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
LOL
Not bad.
I wounder if he's gonna mention the clothes falling off in Bayonetta...... he might not......

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
With all of the games that "are "like God of War but.." why doesn't Yahtzee do a retro review of God of War to see how it compares to the shameless copiers, possibly during the Summer Game Drought (especially with Australia being Australia)