Zero Punctuation: DayZ

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
I got this game just because my buddies wanted me to join them. The zombies themselves are a minimal threat once you get your hands on decent equipment, so the fun is in taking on other player groups. The only problem I have is that once someone thinks they're going to lose, they log off because they don't want to start from scratch. My two buddies usually disconnect the moment they hear gun fire. All the fun was gone. I haven't played in months.

Yoh3333

Feb 7, 2011
Someone mentioned this game as a story-generator and I have been thinking about it in the same way a couple of times now.

A recent story of mine went as follows:
We were but 2 survivors, not exactly high-end geared but with an AK and MP5 none the less. We decided that we would for once attain a vehicle, because why not? Our quest revolved around searching the area of Elektro and the 2 / 3 cities to the north. One of us would take our bike and look for a vehicle while the other would find the equipment. We found a bus quite quickly, it was in bad shape and probably a fresh spawn. We fixed it and drove even further north, where we found another vehicle, a mini-van which we found hilarious and more suited for survival than a big, loud and blocky bus. Alas, we drove around to look for supplies, namely the High-Yield industrialbuilding in Cherno. We got everything without trouble and returned to the minivan, only to stop 100meters from the Gas Station, because we saw an offroad pickuptruck aswell,with what looked like 2 people.

The guy driveing was freaked out, and hammered the gas to get to a highplace up the hill, the other was in the building, and didn't make it to the car, and ran away north. We didn't feel like fighting, since we just wanted the minivan, but since turning around is practically impossible in the bus, we hammered the gas to make our way north, but they started fireing away, rendering the bus useless. We got out and literally 3 secs after getting out, it blew up. For a minute everything was silent, and we thought they might've picked up and left, but as my friend went abit too far away from the cover of the bus, he was killed by the guy to the north. He almost died in that one shot, but the shooter was now faceing another problem: Zombies.
I saw this oppurtunity, because now his location was given away, and even though i couldn't clearly see him, the pressure of zombies and random AK-shots flying, eventually finished him off. meanwhile, his partner had gotten out of his pickup truck with what sounded like a DMR, finishing off my friend before i could fix him up.

At this point i am alone beside the wreck of my bus, with an AK fighting a sniper at what i guess was a 500 Meter firefight. between us was a small field, a trainstation, and a couple of trees scattered about. After 5 minutes of me trying to wait him out, i decided to take the chance, and run as close as I could. A one-shot at succes. I manage to get over to the train-station, attracting too many zombies to handle without getting into view of the sniper, i keep running, trying to avoid his shots. Through the cover of bushes, obscureing his view as much as possible. I hear his frustrated and impatient shooting, he knows that if i get close enough he WILL have a problem. Shot after shot flies right by me, and at this point i am filled with tension...

I died...

End of story, and i loved every bit of it.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Snowburst92 said:
no this amounts to me not having the time or will to walk through a field for hours on end...
You do realize you just validated exactly what I said right? If you are running through a field for hours you obviously didn't take the time to learn how to properly shake zombies or hoard them into chock-points so you can easily take care of them. Please learn to play the game before you complain about it.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
TheDutch3Z said:
ThunderCavalier said:
Eh, it's a shooting game that Yahtzee likes. Definitely something surprising, but I still have a few other games to take care of...

*Yahtzee praises the well-being of another person*

._. I must play this game.
Why is it strange? Yahtzee is a known fan of FPS games
Eh, I've kinda of gotten the impression that he was getting tired of the stagnation of the video game market due to an oversaturation of FPSs, and he was disillusioned of most things that involved a gun and you shooting it.

Also, he's a well-known dissenter of Multiplayer experiences, so to see him praising the goodwill of another human being is quite surprising. ... Of course, the majority of Day Z's encounters were mostly dickish.

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
I like how this review is something for people who don't know the game, like an actual description of gameplay - alongside the usual Yahtzee humor. Recently, I felt his reviews had become more of a discussion about certain flaws that were only interesting for people who had already played the game.

Scipio1770

Oct 3, 2010
KarlMonster said:
MajorDolphin said:
DayZ is good but I strongly recommend everyone wait until the standalone version comes out. There is only so much a mod can do to a game. The standalone has complete access to the engine and will be removing some of the more annoying aspects of the mod. I'm surprised the number one issue of the game wasn't mentioned. If you play long enough you'll run into it.
Yes, what he said. Except for that last part, which I didn't understand.
Hackers, my friend. Hackers. If you know what you're doing, it wont be the zombies that will kill you, nor the bandit gangs, it will be the onslaught of script kiddies with a thunderdome file.

SnowBurst

Jul 2, 2012
one thing, the war z will destroy dayz because its not a half assed mod its a real game made by people who know what theyre doing not some guy who had an idea and hes stated him self he doesnt intend it to be a game hes just made the mod for the kick of seeing what people are like so dont expect it to go anywhere after real games come out

SnowBurst

Jul 2, 2012
mikey7339 said:
Snowburst92 said:
no this amounts to me not having the time or will to walk through a field for hours on end...
You do realize you just validated exactly what I said right? If you are running through a field for hours you obviously didn't take the time to learn how to properly shake zombies or hoard them into chock-points so you can easily take care of them. Please learn to play the game before you complain about it.
"game" has no tutorial er go the entire cities are full of zombies therefore off to the woods i go uninterested in having to learn a "game" a game is for entertainment not for learning

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
I like this game because more people can get their eyes up for the OPF. ARMA games, Although I have gotten used to a game community where most people seem to be actual war veterans, it took me some time to get used to all the american military slurs. The thing that prevents me from playing DayZ is that I enjoy choppers and teamplay.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
snowburst92 said:
mikey7339 said:
Snowburst92 said:
"game" has no tutorial er go the entire cities are full of zombies therefore off to the woods i go uninterested in having to learn a "game" a game is for entertainment not for learning
And you just further validated my suspicions. I pity you.

SnowBurst

Jul 2, 2012
mikey7339 said:
snowburst92 said:
mikey7339 said:
Snowburst92 said:
And you just further validated my suspicions. I pity you.
i pity you for having the compulsion to force your opinion on others i pity you i really do

Samechiel

Nov 4, 2009
I tried DayZ and had roughly the same experience. It was terrible more because I felt I was fighting the game itself more than I was fighting zombies or other players.

If it ever gets to a more... well, "finished" state, then I'm certainly going to give it another try. But until then, it's just not worth my time.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
I know it's the name of the mod and all, but still, as an Australia every time Yahtzee said 'Zee' instead of 'Zed' I died a little inside.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
PreviouslyPwned said:
I agree with Yahtzee, DayZ is terrible.
I was under the impression that he actually likes it and was praising it for its originality, and for its challenging difficulty... in a time where both are hard to find. Which is pretty surprising since its multiplayer that always turns him off. The whole lone wanderer thing worked for him in World of Warcraft until he got sick of the game... in Dayz that doesn't work as well because the world is much more harsh and unforgiving yet he still gave the impression of liking it, even with the bugs/issues the mod has.
I'll probably give it a whirl once it goes standalone.

samwd

Sep 14, 2012
mikey7339 said:
Yeah, I did "learn to play", I snuck into a building, no items there, so I tried sneaking away and was chased out of the place by zombies.

Snuck into another building/area in search of items, I was killed.

Its kinda of shit when one of the only options of aquiring items in this game doesnt work.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
plainlake said:
I like this game because more people can get their eyes up for the OPF. ARMA games, Although I have gotten used to a game community where most people seem to be actual war veterans, it took me some time to get used to all the american military slurs. The thing that prevents me from playing DayZ is that I enjoy choppers and teamplay.
Play with some friends and rebuild a chopper then. DayZ!

samwd said:
mikey7339 said:
Yeah, I did "learn to play", I snuck into a building, no items there, so I tried sneaking away and was chased out of the place by zombies.

Snuck into another building/area in search of items, I was killed.

Its kinda of shit when one of the only options of aquiring items in this game doesnt work.
Wait, what? You're not guaranteed to find items every time you enter a building and, shockingly, there is a risk of death when you do search. An odd concept, I know, but that's not the game not working.

One of the schticks of a zombie survival-sim is that you don't have everything handed to you on a plate. Nothing in one building? Go into another one.