Zero Punctuation: DayZ

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
This mod is awesomesauce, and this review is of the same quality.

But Yahtzee is right, its in dire need of some polish. Hopefully the standalone will tend to that, because the biggest issue in dayZ at this moment, in my experience, is not the countless bugs(and its a mod in the alpha-stage so it goes with the territory really), but rather the countless hackers that try their utmost best to ruin your day for their own little kicks. To have someone instakill the entire server where you struggle your utmost to keep your character that you've been building months to keep alive...well, that's some infuriating material right there.

SJXarg

Sep 20, 2010
I managed to survive being cluster bombed by a hacker, though by my best estimate I would have been ko'd for around 10 hours before waking up at 146 blood, with absolutely no items over 2km from where the blast happened. After 70 minutes of searching my friends managed to find and revive me

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
I'd very much like to try DayZ, but I'm not sure I'd like it - I don't think I'd do well against the griefers and human hunters. If I could join a team of people and kill zombies, not each other, I'd be into that.

But that's part of the game's charm - allowing people freedom to act as they please. I think it's a terrifying look to how people would really act when the world's law no longer applies.

Ramare

Apr 27, 2009
Sansha said:
I'd very much like to try DayZ, but I'm not sure I'd like it - I don't think I'd do well against the griefers and human hunters. If I could join a team of people and kill zombies, not each other, I'd be into that.

But that's part of the game's charm - allowing people freedom to act as they please. I think it's a terrifying look to how people would really act when the world's law no longer applies.
Gameplay pro tip: Crouch-running is your best movement type. Greatest blend of maneuverability, unlikeliness of being spotted, slight of step and ease of transition to actual sneaking (since you're already crouching, all you have to do is walk instead of run).

Gameplay pro tip: In the event that you get chased by zeds and/or axe murderers, and you want to look behind you to see if you lost them: Do not, I repeat, do not stop and turn around. If you hold Left Alt, you can use your mouse to free look backwards over your shoulder while still hustling buns in the direction you were going.

A great tip for anyone: Don't just join a random server, specifically look at lists and the forums, and pick out a server; especially a private hive server. These servers are more resilient to hack attempts, and will likely quickly deal with any hackers that do pop up. They're also less prone to having dicks as the majority party if you choose your server correctly. These are the servers where you might actually find or form a community.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I have one thing that bugs me, so I will ask it here.
Do you MUST kill every human being you meet?
Is it some sort of rule?
Because if it is a rule I'm the only one who violates it :(

Brett Bowling

May 12, 2012
Kind of funny how no one has said anything about Arma until the DAISY mod came out. Its like your essay being recognized because your little brother wrote "AND THEN THERE WERE ZOMBIES" at the end in big blue crayon.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
I have been torn about this mod/game. I see hilarious Let's Plays and watch a few streamers and it appears to be a decent survival horror shooter. However I just... I keep holding off, partially due to the fact that I have next to no free time (stay at home dad for an 11 month old) and the fact that almost nobody I know (IRL or otherwise) plays it. So my dilemma is two fold
#1: I would be alone playing this game, and judging by the comments it's not a good idea to fly solo
#2: Time/attention constraints.

Would anybody be willing to give me a recommendation to either play it or stay away from it?

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
IamShmgeggy said:
I have been torn about this mod/game. I see hilarious Let's Plays and watch a few streamers and it appears to be a decent survival horror shooter. However I just... I keep holding off, partially due to the fact that I have next to no free time (stay at home dad for an 11 month old) and the fact that almost nobody I know (IRL or otherwise) plays it. So my dilemma is two fold
#1: I would be alone playing this game, and judging by the comments it's not a good idea to fly solo
#2: Time/attention constraints.

Would anybody be willing to give me a recommendation to either play it or stay away from it?
I'd say no, dont play it, at least not yet.

Not because the mod isnt awesome, it truly rocks, but a "sole survivor" is easy pickings for just about...everything out there. Everything is done easier in a group.
The primary reason I'd recomend you put it off however is because of time constraints, because this game/mod eats more time then minecraft if you find it to your liking.

I'd wait for the standalone, and if none of your friends are still playing or are considering playing it by then, I'd recomend joining a clan or some such.

turrel1981

Aug 15, 2012
The only thing that lets this mod down is the five loading screens you have to go through in order to get on a server, even on world of tanks with it's 30 second wait spawn timer i would be well in to battle by the time i had spawned on day z, plus if you have just bought arma 2 and operation arrowhead for 30 quid you'll be glad to hear that they plan to make it a stand alone game. while we are on the subject of mmo's could you review world of tanks yahtzee?

PG

Apr 2, 2008
turrel1981 said:
if you have just bought arma 2 and operation arrowhead for 30 quid you'll be glad to hear that they plan to make it a stand alone game.
You might also be pissed to know that you can buy the steam version of Combined Ops from Bohemia's website for £20

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
Wondering where his latest Zero Punctuation is?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.388684-Here-for-Zero-Punctuation-See-Yahztee-in-Person-Instead

turrel1981

Aug 15, 2012
PG said:
turrel1981 said:
if you have just bought arma 2 and operation arrowhead for 30 quid you'll be glad to hear that they plan to make it a stand alone game.
You might also be pissed to know that you can buy the steam version of Combined Ops from Bohemia's website for £20[/quote
only if you realise that combined ops is arma 2 and arrowhead, with a different name. a bit sneaky if you ask me, steam versions i have, the only other gripe is the 5 min and 10 loading screens you have to go through to get on to a server. and it's easier to use playwith six

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
I seriously doubt that, if zombies did overun the world, a full 98% of the people you meet would try to kill you. Humans are social animals and the roughly 1/20 of society that walks about with no soul behind their eyes, no morals, no respect for the law, is also a group prone to doing stupid self-destructive stuff. So most the sociopaths and Antisocial Personalities would die off pretty fast.

Yah raiders and survivalists will exist, but I doubt you would only find 1 out of every 50 people as the sort who dont shoot you first. A lot of people dont like the idea of murder and humans are social animals.

DAYZ falls victim to the GIFT hard and combines this with the fact that, while you may lose your gear, you dont stay dead. You respawn. And the griefer respawns too, so he can keep trying until he evantually gets his gun and ruins everyone elses attempt to survive.

While it is pretty neat, you might as well remove the zombies and just let people loose in the ruins of a city to kill each other. Once you get good the zombies arnt much of a challenge (and many players have quite as a result of being bored) so either you start player-killing or you sit around by yourself at the edge of the map forever with your gear. A good example of how this is more of a "griefing simulator" is the guns. Pinpointing a gunshot echoing about a city to a single building might be a bit hard, and to a single room in that building all but impossible to the naked ear, but zombies in DAYZ have perfect hearing, so your better off avoiding shooting at them if it is at all possible. So why the guns (and ammo, which after society collapses should get scarce quick) with all their many military variations? For griefers to shoot you with.

Its not bad, but it isnt exactly survival horror or even a very inspired zombie apocolypse scenario. Its a gritty very wide ranging free-for-all shooter deathmatch.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
GenGenners said:
Makes me wish I had a decent PC even more. Captain Sparklez play through was hilarious.
actually if you use the "free arma 2 version" it has much worse graphics, but the upside is it requires slower pc.

I never got into ARMA II. saw it a few times but though "meh". tried DayZ on my cousins PC and now im hooked.

While it is pretty neat, you might as well remove the zombies and just let people loose in the ruins of a city to kill each other. Once you get good the zombies arnt much of a challenge (and many players have quite as a result of being bored) so either you start player-killing or you sit around by yourself at the edge of the map forever with your gear. A good example of how this is more of a "griefing simulator" is the guns. Pinpointing a gunshot echoing about a city to a single building might be a bit hard, and to a single room in that building all but impossible to the naked ear, but zombies in DAYZ have perfect hearing, so your better off avoiding shooting at them if it is at all possible. So why the guns (and ammo, which after society collapses should get scarce quick) with all their many military variations? For griefers to shoot you with.
well if you play the "hardcore" servers, it is quite hard to find any weapon, let alone a shooting one in around 1/3 of the map from the beach. didnt venture further in as some ccrap or antoher happens. But if you play the "medium" servers you even get gun at start sometimes, which is dreadful.