Zero Punctuation: Dead Space 3

Stillgard

P.O.D.
Jun 6, 2011
IMHO, someone needs to revoke EA's license to print money. Cause this is just getting a tad ridiculous. Ever since the whole SW:TOR thing with Bioware (which btw half there production staff has up and left the group) It's gone steadily down hill. Seriously if I see another piece of garbage from EA I think I am gonna hurl.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
And so, Dead Space becomes yet another series that lost its uniqueness to bland shooting affairs left and right, like Resident Evil and Mass Effect. If this is the way games are going, I'm not going to bother with the next generation of consoles.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Starke said:
franksands said:
So does this means that Dead Space is now Spunk-Gargle-Wee-Wee?
No, but it is a shooter that will let you make a gun that shoots shrukens saw blades and lightning.
So wait does that mean that if was labeled a shooter instead of a horror game, Yahtzee would have liked it?

My head hurts I'mma go lie down...

Starker

Mar 17, 2011
Grach said:
Dictionary.com said:
"ob·jec·tive (adj):
Not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased."
If you want a objective game review to even exist then you'll have to wait until the SI develops a standard measurement of enjoyment. A review is by its nature biased and subjective. There is nothing to measure here. Not empirically at least.
A completely objective and unbiased review is possible.

Here's an example: http://www.destructoid.com/100-objective-review-final-fantasy-xiii-179178.phtml

A number of people who have read it think it's a review.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
krazykidd said:
OuendanCyrus said:
The Dead Space games has never been horror but I still enjoy the series, to me, the "scares" in the Dead Space games is just the signal of the start of a battle, I also can't find myself be scared at all, the loud noises resembles that of an exploding building in a modern military shooter.

I like Dead Space 3's crafting system and the attempt of being a bit more open, but I don't like how considerably easy this game is, the game just seems to love throwing medpacks at you, at one point, I had around 20 medium medpacks in my safe that I don't think I ever used.

Just because you don't get scared doesn't mean it isn't horror . In my opinion , Dead space is an action horror game , NOT a survival horror . Unless you take survival in the most literal sense, and if you do that then every game where you can die is a survival game .

OT: I loved the ending to this video , very clever.
Scary how exactly? The only thing I remember from dead space one, which presumably is the scariest out of them all, was shit jumping out of nowhere trying to startle me. startle =/= scary. A cute bunny is just as effective as a big ugly monster when you´re trying to startle someone.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Starker said:
Grach said:
Dictionary.com said:
"ob·jec·tive (adj):
Not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased."
If you want a objective game review to even exist then you'll have to wait until the SI develops a standard measurement of enjoyment. A review is by its nature biased and subjective. There is nothing to measure here. Not empirically at least.
A completely objective and unbiased review is possible.

Here's an example: http://www.destructoid.com/100-objective-review-final-fantasy-xiii-179178.phtml

A number of people who have read it think it's a review.
Which is a joke review. It's pretty much Jim describing on very broad aspect how the game is, not what his opinion is. If you're looking for a objective review, then limit yourself to just reading wikipedia articles.

BattlePope

Aug 2, 2008
I enjoyed the first 2 games for the story elements hidden in the text/audio logs, but this one managed to finally pin that aspect of gameplay. The billboard effect for HUD placement/management made more sense than the ones from the last few Silent Hill games and just about any shooter. I'll admit that it could have been significantly better, especially in the boss encounters, but the sense of scale in some parts sold me on the action set-pieces.

And although pretty easy: the final boss has been something I've had to ask my friends if they've ever encountered a similar battle in their gaming experience. I would prefer it if EA could not swoop in on the third games of franchises they assimilate and convert them into "CashGrab: Not a Battlefield/Sports Game! Buy ten of it! Buy $100 of add-ons!" but that's like asking some people to stop making Halo or Gears of War games...

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
EA puts microtransactions in games, but makes them completely optional.

People point and laugh about how "stupid" EA is being for accepting money with people who have more money than time. I'm all for taking a company to task when it's earned, but seriously? Maybe pick battles a LITTLE more sparingly than "ALL."

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Aaron Sylvester said:
Jim Sterling is a HUGE Dead Space fan isn't he? What did he have to say about this game?
8/10 Microtransactions and a million annoyances mar what is otherwise a very good game.

Paraphrased of course.

TwistednMean

Nov 23, 2010
Undeadpool said:

People point and laugh about how "stupid" EA is being for accepting money with people who have more money than time. I'm all for taking a company to task when it's earned, but seriously? Maybe pick battles a LITTLE more sparingly than "ALL."
I am sure that letting people cheat for money doesn't count as charity or concern about their free time. "Packs", which add weapons vastly superior to pretty much anything you encounter in the game, are bad enough, but taking money for cheating by giving you free resources? Are you serious EA? If someone wants to cheat, he'll use the cheat engine or something. On the other hand, it is just as lame and offensive as offering a chance to buy packs in ME3 multiplayer for real money, so I suppose I should not be so surprised.

Just for the record, DS 1 was scary. I suppose I am just not one of those horror elitists, who wants to wander around for hours, building tension, waiting for their scary monster, like Amnesia fans. I am not afraid of the dark or the unknown, I want to suspend disbelief and know I can die any moment. That's a scare. I like hordes of zombies trying to chew your face off, necromorphs grabbing you by your ass when you're walking past a ventilation duct and stuff like that. In DS 1 such scare was abundant. DS 2 was a bit worse, but still passable and pretty heavy on both survival and horror.

What about DS 3? Well, I suppose one of those Game+ modes could provide some tension. Otherwise, the gameplay boils down to dealing a maximum amount of hurt and injecting yourself with health pots regularly, which is nowhere close to survival horror genre. It's just a shooter with necromorphs for enemies.

DolorousEdd

Sep 25, 2010
One of the few reviews of this whole series that is able to recognize how totally pathetic these games are.

Alpha Bootis

Mar 9, 2011
The origional Dead Space is one of the better horrorgames out there, Dead Space 2 was already going in the direction of sillyville with the eye exam b/s but dead space 3... the 3 probably refers to the number of light-years in distance it is removed from the origional.
I'm actually quite pleased i've managed to keep up the Origin ban I put in place in this household, or at the very least my machines, when Battlefield 3 came out. I don't know how its getting all these positive reviews as I could tell it was horrid from the first trailers.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
TwistednMean said:
Undeadpool said:

I am sure that letting people cheat for money doesn't count as charity or concern about their free time. "Packs", which add weapons vastly superior to pretty much anything you encounter in the game, are bad enough, but taking money for cheating by giving you free resources? Are you serious EA? If someone wants to cheat, he'll use the cheat engine or something. On the other hand, it is just as lame and offensive as offering a chance to buy packs in ME3 multiplayer for real money, so I suppose I should not be so surprised.

Just for the record, DS 1 was scary. I suppose I am just not one of those horror elitists, who wants to wander around for hours, building tension, waiting for their scary monster, like Amnesia fans. I am not afraid of the dark or the unknown, I want to suspend disbelief and know I can die any moment. That's a scare. I like hordes of zombies trying to chew your face off, necromorphs grabbing you by your ass when you're walking past a ventilation duct and stuff like that. In DS 1 such scare was abundant. DS 2 was a bit worse, but still passable and pretty heavy on both survival and horror.

What about DS 3? Well, I suppose one of those Game+ modes could provide some tension. Otherwise, the gameplay boils down to dealing a maximum amount of hurt and injecting yourself with health pots regularly, which is nowhere close to survival horror genre. It's just a shooter with necromorphs for enemies.
Are we really going to bring up ME3, which allows you to purchase ANYTHING for in-game currency that can basically be earned in sufficient quantities in under an hour? And with FIVE FREE DLC packs?? Oh wait, that was "because so many people were paying money," so it somehow ceases to count.

SteamPunkJack

Feb 3, 2014
.-. Does anyone else realise that the buy-able packs of resources are simply made of scrap metal and tungsten? And that you can pay for these packs with an in-game resource instead of money? And that dead space one has more buy able weapons then dead space 2 and 3? Maybe people have forgotten that the necromorphs yelled louder in dead space 1 then 3? Maybe someone should inform the game-informer to actually look closer at the game instead of swiftly playing through it on normal (hard mode is for veteran players) and if you switched at the last half of the game to impossible on normal, you had tons of resources to fight them off.....I just with that I could have seen the faces on the developers when they saw this review, that this shepherd of sheep could have lead them so astray, and that is the moments they realise to not listen to the public on its idiotic opinion, they are hanging on to that damn emotion that erupted when they first saw an original game (dead space 1 lies in my trash after I played dead space 2)