Zero Punctuation: DeathSpank & Limbo

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
For some reason, I think this episode felt more like some of the older ZP vids. And for me that's a good thing.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Ah I'm glad he doesn't like the Wayans Brothers or the Scary Movies.

Oh I'm also glad he brought up two games I don't know of until now.

The Seldom Seen Kid

Apr 28, 2010
I liked the jab at the "_____ Movie" franchises. :)

HA! I knew you'd enjoy Limbo, although I disagree with the ending being disappointing. More like open, but whatever.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
i thought limbo was waaaaay too short as well. I should've bought deathspank instead :(

dennett316

Jun 30, 2010
Limbo sounds pretty good in an emo-angst type of way....now if you'll excuse me, I must listen to some Linkin Park and chew a razor blade.

JacobyPAX

Jun 14, 2010
I feel that the starcraft quip at the end was unnecessary, and if Yahtzee wants to rip into a game he should at least have the decency to do a full review on it.

angelblack

Jul 3, 2008
Awww, no starcraft 2 :(

Oh well, entertaining nevertheless.

edit: it was practically the first RTS I finished since I don't like this genre and it was still awesome.
what do you say yahtzee, screw Halo Wars and start with this one?

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah i felt that because of the grain you cant see anthing in Limbo, thats why i fell into more than enough bear traps before i had gone 15 paces. But really the reason limbo unnerved me is because it has no music. I know that sound very minute but it kept me on the edge of my seat.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
I am very saddened that he placed Transformers as a "bland game" :(

But overall, very funny.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
"Why not try eating a dick?"
I get the feeling you have fans loyal enough to follow that advice, Yahtzee.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
So....I guess you're not doing a War for Cybertron review? Is it because you'd have to create new models for the Transformers? Ah, whatever. The game wasn't that great anyway.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I wish I could support independent game developers who do things like steep a game in atmosphere (Limbo) or at least try to take the piss out of popular money-spinners (DeathSpank). Unfortunately I must continue eating dick because I haven't eaten enough to pay all of my bills.

I'd say more but I have another client heading towards my gums and unzipping his fly. Excuse me.

hydrahh

Apr 16, 2009
I liked the part about the dog eating a watermelon and talking about the favorite ass-smells. Man am I high brow.

Vladamir69

Dec 18, 2008
angelblack said:

He said he will never review starcraft 2 so dont get your hopes up. Otherwise great review i felt the same way about limbo when i played it. i felt like they could add like half an hour more and it would be perfect.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
For all of you who participated in the ZP t-shirt giveaway event, we are hoping to start contacting potential winners today.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
jewmaniac said:
angelblack said:

He said he will never review starcraft 2 so dont get your hopes up. Otherwise great review i felt the same way about limbo when i played it. i felt like they could add like half an hour more and it would be perfect.
Wot's he got against Star Craft2? It's not ALL identical hardcore armored space marines!
On reflection: it's postponed release probably brings out unresolved issues with Duke Nuekem Forever.

Falcondynamite

Apr 22, 2010
But i liked war for cybertron... OK yeah maybe the levels were a little bland, but everybody plays it for the intuitive sex scene (just kidding, mainly because that would be incredibly horrifying and so which why rule 34 exist. Does the world and the sick fantasy's of people scare you enough as it is?)

Limbo is actually more funny then it seems honestly, I cant recall how many times i died in it, and how funny the deaths were.

Death spank does not interest me what so ever... what i really want to try is Monday night combat which pulls up my love of team fortress 2! At least I hope so.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Deathspank and Limbo sounds like a good game name to me...

Oh well. Nice video, though I'm not surprised Limbo came up more favorably as it's more Yahtzee's style (though I'm sure he's tired of oppressively gray level designs).

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I got a mention in a Yahtzee video!

Ish...
It shows how well known you are that it was you I first though of when I saw that up there.

OT: I disagree with the criticisms of Limbo apart from it being very short. Although the same could be said for Portal and very few people bitched about that. Although I am probably biased in that I thought Limbo was absolutely brilliant.

I also don't get how Gears of War can be criticised in the way it was considering if anything, it started the trend of dark, gritty shooters.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Interesting games indeed it seems. I wonder if he will review Doom 4 when it comes next year. Or possibly Rage.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
i thought Yahtzee was pefectly reasonable when he explained he was unqualified to evaluate rts games, however, i do feel the attitude inherent in his closing message was both a strong constrast to his reason in extra puntuation and that it was needlessly hurtful.

If he isn't gonna review it then it isn't in his circle of expertise, so why does he keep dredging the subject up in a childish manner?

Chaosninja89

Jun 25, 2010
Hmm, maybe I will get Limbo, seems like it isn't worth it though, but it's a fun game...kinda expensive though, but then it is new and interesting but-but-bu*head explodes*

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Nice review. Definately reminded me of the older ZP's.

I wish Limbo would come to PS3.

On the bright side, this means that the aisle is cleared for a review of Split/Second: Velocity! Right?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Definitely agree with the bit about the ending of Limbo.

The forest section was good, but once you get into the factory-ish environment, the atmosphere just drains away.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Was it me it did he seem even fast than usual? And quite a bit louder. That aside yet another great video.

Also Limbo is excellent and that spider bit is really nerve-racking.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I played parts of both demos and they did seem quite intriguing. Limbo definitely had potential, but I don't want to make the same mistake I made with Braid (Pay too much for a game I never ended up beating.) And lord knows when the game will come down in price, seeing as it just came out. Deathspank was interesting, but I never got to combat because I just didn't have enough time to play the game.

The last "eat a dick" line was classic.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Chaosninja89 said:
Hmm, maybe I will get Limbo, seems like it isn't worth it though, but it's a fun game...kinda expensive though, but then it is new and interesting but-but-bu*head explodes*
If you have enough cash that it's short length wouldn't seem a waste, I definitely recommend it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Good Lord, I hope he gets off the Starcraft II thing fairly quickly. Just leave it alone.

And I desperately want Limbo, but I don't have an Xbox. WAAAAH.

Mar 30, 2010
He's right about how Deathspank's constant need for scoffing large amounts of scran to keep his health up gets annoying after a while. Since I've spent a good portion of my time playing Deathspank doing this exact activity you'd think they would have used a less irritating sound effect. As for Limbo, I can't really comment about the ending as it would seem that glowing brain slugs are determined to stop me from getting there.

Falcondynamite

Apr 22, 2010
jewmaniac said:
angelblack said:

He wrote why he wouldn't do it mainly because his opinion on a type of genre he doesnt like wouldn't be very useful.

mikekearn

Erudite Loquaciousness
Aug 27, 2008
Eat a dick, you say? Well, don't wait up, chaps, I have some unpleasant business to deal with.

AeroBlade

Jul 15, 2010
I thought Deathspank was okay, the humor really did help the game through. Still haven't bought Limbo yet, though.

angelblack

Jul 3, 2008
RadiusXd said:
If he isn't gonna review it then it isn't in his circle of expertese, so why does he keep dredging the subject up in a childish manner?
It's not about expertise; SC2 is easy enough that anyone without RTS experience can play and enjoy the (awesome) campaign. It's not until you hit multiplayer that you start hitting brick walls if you're inexperienced.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I played the demo for Limbo last night.

That child has a death wish.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
JacobyPAX said:
I feel that the starcraft quip at the end was unnecessary, and if Yahtzee wants to rip into a game he should at least have the decency to do a full review on it.
agreed.
If it isn't in his juristiction then that's perfectly fine, just don't be so snide about it yahtzee!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
yourbeliefs said:
...but I don't want to make the same mistake I made with Braid (Pay too much for a game I never ended up beating.)
AUGH. Sit down today and just beat it. It won't take you too long. The mindscrewing last level is totally worth it.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I couldn't even finish the Deathspank demo... That thing's voice is awful.

As for Limbo, I fully intend to pick it up once MS decides to make it deal of the week.

Scobie

Good Leader. Best Friend.
Mar 16, 2009
I doubt I was the only one who thought that he was actually going to review a single game called Deathspank and Limbo.

Anywasy, I don't think a game with sub-standard gameplay can be carried by humour alone. In fact, I played one somewhat like that [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2-Psychonauts] a while ago and it was distinctly un-fun.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
"Why not try eating a dick?"

I haven't laughed that hard at a video in awhile. Nice one.

They're both well worth playing I'd say. But yeah, Deathspank is really carried by it's humor and Limbo is really carried by it's depressive arty feel. And personally I think both games get along quite well without anything else that really sets them appart. Ok I guess Limbo has some decent puzzles, but Braid and Portal: Still Alive are both available on XLA for the same price and they're a lot longer and the puzzles are generally more interesting and challenging.

It should be noted that while Deathspank doesn't have especially brilliant gameplay it is easily the longest and most expansive single player experience you can find in the independent games market, at least by my reckoning.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
If Yahtzee enjoys Limbo, then everyone will. Except PS3 fanboys who instead of hoping it will come to PSN (I hope it does so more people can play it) just ridicule it for being on the Xbox. Then they play the well designed but not as good as the game it takes from LBP level.

I haven't finished Limbo yet, but I only play it alone in the dark with the stereo way up.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
angelblack said:
RadiusXd said:
If he isn't gonna review it then it isn't in his circle of expertese, so why does he keep dredging the subject up in a childish manner?
It's not about expertise; SC2 is easy enough that anyone without RTS experience can play and enjoy the (awesome) campaign. It's not until you hit multiplayer that you start hitting brick walls if you're inexperienced.
thats not my point, he said he wasn't going to review it because he felt his opinion carries little weight on the subject (thats new I know), i understand that, i just don't think the cheek is nessesary on something he said himself he is inexperienced with, and with which he has no intentions of becoming aquainted with for that matter.

Megidolaon

Jul 15, 2009
This week clearly demonstrates yahtzee needs to play something other than FPS games.
Obviously it seems to him all games are the same if he barely ever touches other genres.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
Australia
Sinclose said:
For some reason, I think this episode felt more like some of the older ZP vids. And for me that's a good thing.
Yup yup, ZP took on a simpsons like syndrome, where the earlier reviews were so much better. They are picking up again though :D

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
JacobyPAX said:
But War for Cybertron is so average that there isn't enough content for a full review.

petrolmonkey

May 6, 2009
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that it is the love of money that is the route of all evil.

Nemk4

Mar 23, 2010
I'll try Limbo then wearin my tux while drinkin a bottle of wine...

Feb 25, 2009
Personally I thought that Deathspank was pretty good. It is a bit of a grindfest after a while, but I feel that the humour and atmosphere cushioned the blow somewhat.

As for Limbo, I thought that it was a great game all around, although it is a little short. I fact on my second play-through I beat it in just over an hour. I also thought the ending was pretty good even if it doesn't really explain anything.
:SPOILER ALERT: I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel wherein you play as the girl.

kosamae

Sep 12, 2008
I guess I'll go with Deathspank, since I come watch these videos every week, because they're funny, even though the gameplay is really weak.

Turbo_ski

Dec 23, 2009
RadiusXd said:
thats not my point, he said he wasn't going to review it because he felt his opinion carries little weight on the subject (thats new I know), i understand that, i just don't think the cheek is nessesary on something he said himself he is inexperienced with, and with which he has no intentions of becoming aquainted with for that matter.
That hasn't stopped him from reviewing JRPGs and SC2 is so accessible even non-gamers get into it. That whole excuse that he would be too inexperienced regarding RTS doesn't hold weight. Besides the the single player campaign plays more like a hybrid between point and click adventure and RPG with a RTS as a base.

Banana Phone Man

May 19, 2009
A far away land of fantasy = Northampton? I live there. Well there are surposedly aliens.

OT:
Another great video. It made me laugh a lot. Nice work.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
That spider made me curious, and Yahtzee, do you not have a huge flat-screen tv? I like you even more if that's the case.

qazmatoz

Sep 17, 2009
Yahtzee doing a review that's both hilarious and accurate?! My mind has just been blown.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
JacobyPAX said:
You act like this is the first time he has done so. He did the same thing with KillZone 2 in his HOTD: Overkill review. Actually, he flat out insulted KZ2, while here he just had a playful swipe at SC2. It's like an Android phone user saying that the new iPhone can suck it. It's a meaningless quick insult.

Besides, do you really CARE if he doesn't like it or want to review it? If you like the game, then that's all that matters. And given that there were 1 million people on Battle.net at the same time playing it, I doubt you're alone.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
I'm playing through Limbo right now, and I agree that the spider parts scared the absolute crap out of me. I was literally breathing like I was trying to run away from it in real life. I also find it very hilarious whenever the boy dies, as macabre as the game is, death is FUNNY.

Nice review, I might get DeathSpank at some point.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
snowman6251 said:
I wish Limbo was on the PSN. Oh well.
You havn't heard some people have mimiced it on Little Big Planet?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102478-Sackboy-Does-Limbo

Ahh to bad he didn't talk about some of the odd things they make you do in Deathspank like collecting "chicken lips"... how else would they whistle.

LunarTick

Mar 1, 2010
The combined titles "DeathSpank & Limbo" sounds a bit like a 90's adventure game set in the afterlife in wich you play DeathSpank and his zany/plucky/quippy sidekick Limbo and have to solve puzzles by combining objects like halos and souls or something like that.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Seems like SC2 (and Blizzard) has caused Yahtzee to have a lot of extra venom this week!

Love the Cure reference. Betcha it was 'Disintegration'...

EDIT: I thought DeathSpank was funny for about 10 minutes. It got old very, very rapidly. (And God, talk about an annoying voice for the the player!) It made me want to start cutting myself... or start playing Limbo... oh, wait...

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Blue-State said:
jewmaniac said:
angelblack said:

Wot's he got against Star Craft2? It's not ALL identical hardcore armored space marines!
On reflection: it's postponed release probably brings out unresolved issues with Duke Nuekem Forever.
Read this weeks Extra Punctuation, he states that the reason is because he isn't justified to review Starcraft II, as he's both unfamiliar and dismissive of the genre.
angelblack said:
Shjade said:
angelblack said:
You don't read Extra Punctuation, do you?
Anything except ZP is irrelevant to my interests, sorry. I only come here 20 minutes a week.
You're missing out then, it's a great little article that lets Yahtzee actually talk serious business.

persona J

May 25, 2009
transformers isnt bland or unchallenging u tard, how many games do u no that have transforming robots and if u find it easy bump up the dificulty u moron.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
At this point, I'm wondering if Yahtzee will quit if he is ordered to critique Starcraft 2(remember, he's a game critic, not a game reviewer).

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:
That hasn't stopped him from reviewing JRPGs and SC2 is so accessible even non-gamers get into it. That whole excuse that he would be too inexperienced regarding RTS doesn't hold weight. Besides the the single player campaign plays more like a hybrid between point and click adventure and RPG with a RTS as a base.
If he decides to review it after all i will be only too happy alright?
But that doesn't change the fact that he said he isn't going to, nor does it change the reason he gave for that, my point is if he isn't going to review it like all the other games he pokes fun at, then he can keep the single sentence comments about it to himself.

gazz567

Mar 3, 2010
As a resident of a far away land of fantasy aka Northampton I can say we love the reviews and we do have murderous trolls aka yokels and horrible goblins aka chavs. And pleased to see more independent stuff getting reviewed although deathspank has been weirdly publicised.

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
persona J said:
transformers isnt bland or unchallenging u tard, how many games do u no that have transforming robots and if u find it easy bump up the dificulty u moron.
I HAVE FURY!

qwrtyp

Apr 20, 2010
Damn you Yahtzee for once again underestimating the difficulty and variety of dick eating!

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
Great review! lol I thought Deathspank was funny a fuck. Not just "this is supposed to be a joke" funny like most games, but actual comedy from someone, making fun of stuff.
Bleak and atmospheric is EXACTLY my cup of tea, as well. IVe been on a search looking for games like that actually. So i think ill pick that up as well....

Talking shit and bringing it down a notch while still recommending it. I think that keeps it rather honest, actually. What do you guys think.

Roninraver

Dec 2, 2009
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:
But that doesn't change the fact that he said he isn't going to, nor does it change the reason he gave for that, my point is if he isn't going to review it like all the other games he pokes fun at, then he can keep the single sentence comments about it to himself.
Or, he can say whatever the Hells he wishes, at whatever length he wishes, about whatever topic he wishes. Y'know, like you yourself are allowed to do. Just who in the heck do you think you are, dictating to someone else what they shall or shall not say?

He says he doesn't plan on a Starcraft 2 critique, so that bars him from ever making mention, passing or otherwise, of the game again? And it gives you license to try and e-police any comment he makes until he decides to do a proper review, and "earn the right" to his opinion?

How about no? How about, he says what he wants to, when he chooses. And you can do the same. Without the need to justify yourself to anyone else.

Or do you plan on retroactively going back through your lifetime and filming a snarky fast-talking critique complete with animations to justify any offhand comment you've ever made, as you seem intent on doing so to Yahtzee. Quid pro quo.

careful

Jul 28, 2010
hhmm im not suprised yahtzee didnt like it as much as i did
it seems that game reviewers play so many games so often that they become a little over critical
though despite how yahtzee bashes games i love on points that sometimes dont deserve it, i freaking love ZP!!
edit: game critiquers*

Keios

Aug 4, 2010
I don't know about you, but to me DeathSpank & Limbo sounds like the most badass cop show ever.

Knifewounds

Nov 18, 2009
These are just examples of people trying to be original by making their games ether artsy or comedic. No real substance, or game changing twist to be found. I look forward for the limbo ripoff levels on lbp.

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
Limbo is amazing, been playing the demo today and it's bloody terrifying. I think it may very well be the first indie game I buy on XBLA.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
War for Cybertron didn't deserve that one. Rage about blandness all you want, Yahtzee, but if you as a fellow nerd don't see anything ever-so-slightly stimulating in transforming robots blasting the crap out of each other in a well-designed game maybe it's YOU who should check their pulse.

And thanks, but I'll pass on the dick, I just had a muffin.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
persona J said:
Oh, the irony. Someone unable to spell "you" or "difficulty" correctly calling others a "moron".

I'm unsure what's so offensive about Yahtzee's SC2 quip? It seemed pretty normal as far as his comments go.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I am suiciding to play Limbo. Have to get X360.

And people there is a SC 2 review in the escapist. Pretty good one in my opinion.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:
Or, he can say whatever the Hells he wishes, at whatever length he wishes, about whatever topic he wishes. Y'know, like you yourself are allowed to do. Just who in the heck do you think you are, dictating to someone else what they shall or shall not say?

He says he doesn't plan on a Starcraft 2 critique, so that bars him from ever making mention, passing or otherwise, of the game again? And it gives you license to try and e-police any comment he makes until he decides to do a proper review, and "earn the right" to his opinion?

How about no? How about, he says what he wants to, when he chooses. And you can do the same. Without the need to justify yourself to anyone else.

Or do you plan on retroactively going back through your lifetime and filming a snarky fast-talking critique complete with animations to justify any offhand comment you've ever made, as you seem intent on doing so to Yahtzee. Quid pro quo.
Hey, I belive in free speech and all, but just because I can run down a street half naked carrying a pigs heart and loudly uttering satanic rituals (sounds like an awsome dare btw) doesn't mean I should. And when you claim to be a professional on something, a certain level of etiquette is usually anticipated.
in his extra punctuation, he gives a reasonable and inoffensive explanation as to why he won't be reviewing sc2, i commend him for this.
What I don't understand though, Is why he just had to go and ruin that by making a unessesary and altogether offensive comment without any follow up to vindicate his opinion.
It seems to me that if anything he could have just summarized the polite way of saying it, within about 1 sentence. The way he wrote it seems like the written equivalent of giving all the people hoping for an sc2 review the flip!
Yes yahtzee can say whatever the hell he wants, does that mean he should, or for that matter, even has a reason to?

I have free speech and i can say whatever I want so you know what?
Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
can you do anything about it? Of course not i have free speech silly!
was it even nessesary? no.
If it was nessesary could i have put it in a more polite and reasonable way? yes.
i hope you are getting the picture now, if not there isn't a whole lot more i simplify for you.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Lucane said:
Lucane said:
snowman6251 said:
I wish Limbo was on the PSN. Oh well.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102478-Sackboy-Does-Limbo

Ahh to bad he didn't talk about some of the odd things they make you do in Deathspank like collecting "chicken lips"... how else would they whistle.
Yeah, someone made a Limbo LBP thing.

It's almost like the full game except with only a quarter of the atmosphere and only a quarter of the difficulity.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Good Lord, I hope he gets off the Starcraft II thing fairly quickly. Just leave it alone.

Gets off? What do you mean? That he stops complaining about it, or that he completely ignores it? He only made one mention about it, as far as I know. I found it amusing, like him once again smacking at the rabid fanboys who constantly send in requests for him to review games.

Sure, I'd like him to review it as well (partly because the best experience was the single-player, and he prefers single-player and I'm interested in what he has to say), but I don't understand your statement here.

Again, not trying to be rude, just don't know what message you're trying to get across.

This review did indeed amuse me. I also do not have an Xbox, and therefore will not be enjoying the delight and woe these games have to offer.

Neino Ranatos

Jul 12, 2010
angelblack said:

edit: it was practically the first RTS I finished since I don't like this genre and it was still awesome.

For you and others expecting Starcraft Douc--I mean..Deuce..get a load of a few simple words by Yahtzee himself.

Yahtzee said:
Let me make something as abundantly clear as I can right now. I am not going to review StarCraft 2. Not now, and probably never. Russ even asked if I'd like to attend the release party in my home city of Brisbane, but I turned it down. That's right: I eschewed a party in favor of staying in with a blackcurrant Lemsip and Split Second: Velocity. Why? Because I don't give a toss about StarCraft 2.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Independent developers aren't (fortunately) held back by businessmen who never see the value of a game rather the volume of their wallet's growth. The irony being video game development started off in this manner to begin with.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
angelblack said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/7938-Extra-Punctuation-On-RTS-Games

OT: Is Limbo available on PSN too by any chance? Also, the last line was the best part: "Starcraft 2 can continue sucking it."

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
persona J said:
Adamantium rage!

killerbread

Oct 21, 2009
yer Northampton was in it! it was kind of insulting it but tbh it is a shit hole or as he put it a far away land of fantasy

drdamo

May 17, 2010
Is it me or is Yahtzee abit more frustrated as usual?
I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with a certain personage of the opposite sex starting with an R, hah!

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
To those upset about Starcraft 2: he said in his latest Extra Punctuation article that he simply doesn't care for the RTS genre. Go to said article if you want to read/discuss further.

To those upset about War for Cybertron: grow up. I like the game as well, but consider two things. One, he just personally finds it bland and unchallenging; no sense ineffectually nipping at his heels for daring to have a subjective opinion. Two, one of the game's biggest strengths is the multiplayer aspect; that's all well and good, but how many times has Yahtzee asserted that a game should be able to stand up on single player alone? Oh, right... many, many times. He doesn't care for it and even less so when it is online only.

Roninraver

Dec 2, 2009
RadiusXd said:
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:

Hey, I belive in free speech and all, but just because I can run down a street half naked carrying a pigs heart and loudly uttering satanic rituals (sounds like an awsome dare btw) doesn't mean I should. And when you claim to be a professional on something, a certain level of etiquette is usually anticipated.
in his extra punctuation, he gives a reasonable and inoffensive explanation as to why he won't be reviewing sc2, i commend him for this.
What I don't understand though, Is why he just had to go and ruin that by making a unessesary and altogether offensive comment without any follow up to vindicate his opinion.
It seems to me that if anything he could have just summarized the polite way of saying it, within about 1 sentence. The way he wrote it seems like the written equivalent of giving all the people hoping for an sc2 review the flip!
Yes yahtzee can say whatever the hell he wants, does that mean he should, or for that matter, even has a reason to?

Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
If it was nessesary could i have put it in a more polite and reasonable way? yes.
i hope you are getting the picture now, if not there isn't a whole lot more i simplify for you.
Couple of things. First, opinions don't need vindication. You're perfectly welcome to think that rocks are far too rocky, or that the color purple has far too much blue in it. Claims of fact need to be vindicated, opinions can be baseless as the day is long.

Second, I didn't see it as offensive at all. But then, I'm not one of the people that seem to keep pushing, jabbing, and pestering at him for a Starcraft 2 review. I don't see the comment he made as a jab at the game (because as he's said, he basically doesn't give a flip about the game good or bad), but rather as a jab at the people that won't take no for an answer and keep pushing for a review they know he doesn't want to do. I fully support this action.
People that won't take no for an answer, will not take no for an answer regardless of how well you expound upon your reasoning, nor will any amount of nicety in your delivery help. So a "suck it" is just as good as a three paragraph exposition for these people. They still won't accept the "No" but at least you didn't waste unnecessary time and energy on it. The people who read Extra Punctuation got the full breakdown of the why's and why not's. The people that spend 5 minutes here once a week got "suck it."

What this seems to boil down to is, you got your feelings hurt. You were offended by something someone else said, and now you're going to cry about it. It isn't so much that he expressed his opinion, but the way in which he chose to express it. That and I think the fact that he chose to express his opinion AT ALL based upon your comment.

The only thing I can say to that is, toughen your hide. It's a big world out there, and sometimes people say things that will make you feel not good. You have two choices.

A.) Get butthurt when someone says something that doesn't jive right with you. Take offense, and rain down righteous indignation upon the offender.

B.) Realize that offense is a choice. There is no such thing as something being patently offensive, as nothing in this world offends everyone. Therefore, when you find yourself offended, you have chosen to be offended. You can just as easily, choose to not be offended.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Alar said:
lacktheknack said:

Gets off? What do you mean? That he stops complaining about it, or that he completely ignores it? He only made one mention about it, as far as I know. I found it amusing, like him once again smacking at the rabid fanboys who constantly send in requests for him to review games.

Sure, I'd like him to review it as well (partly because the best experience was the single-player, and he prefers single-player and I'm interested in what he has to say), but I don't understand your statement here.

Again, not trying to be rude, just don't know what message you're trying to get across.

This review did indeed amuse me. I also do not have an Xbox, and therefore will not be enjoying the delight and woe these games have to offer.
If you read Extra Punctuation, you'd understand. He will never review Starcraft II, I hate the fanboys as much as anybody, but I want him to ignore it.

savagecam

Mar 22, 2010
Hilarious, as usual. It was good to get some perspective on Limbo in particular, as IGN, G4, and everyone else was going nuts about it. (I don't have X360) Also, I suppose I can see why Yahtzee thought Transformers: WFC was bland and unchallenging. He only plays the single player parts of games (mostly), and the campaign was definitely the weaker part of the game. This is coming from a Transformers fanatic and WFC fan. Online multiplayer is awesome, but if you don't play that, you're left with the campaigns which were, well, OK. They were like the Transformers version of CoD: MW2's campaign. There to give the game a story and provide more content, but it really just backs up the multiplayer.

Yahtzee, great video again. Maybe a Disciples III review? It's the only new release I've played recently. Plus I think you would rip it apart. Which would be awesome.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
"they why don't you go eat a dick" Hahaha that was the only bit that really made me laugh apart from the needless northhampton reference. Seriously you americans must not know whats going on half time time in these. Well your american so i guess we can cut that to quater... or maybe a Fith.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I got a mention in a Yahtzee video!

Ish...
So did I! Well... My avatar did. Well... no so much a mention as a picture, But Still! :D
Too bad Limbo is so short... and Too bad I don't own an Xbox. :(
Deathspank sounds... interesting... although I'm more of an "arty f*g".

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:

Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
Couple of things. First, opinions don't need vindication. You're perfectly welcome to think that rocks are far too rocky, or that the color purple has far too much blue in it. Claims of fact need to be vindicated, opinions can be baseless as the day is long.

Second, I didn't see it as offensive at all. But then, I'm not one of the people that seem to keep pushing, jabbing, and pestering at him for a Starcraft 2 review. I don't see the comment he made as a jab at the game (because as he's said, he basically doesn't give a flip about the game good or bad), but rather as a jab at the people that won't take no for an answer and keep pushing for a review they know he doesn't want to do. I fully support this action.
People that won't take no for an answer, will not take no for an answer regardless of how well you expound upon your reasoning, nor will any amount of nicety in your delivery help. So a "suck it" is just as good as a three paragraph exposition for these people. They still won't accept the "No" but at least you didn't waste unnecessary time and energy on it. The people who read Extra Punctuation got the full breakdown of the why's and why not's. The people that spend 5 minutes here once a week got "suck it."

What this seems to boil down to is, you got your feelings hurt. You were offended by something someone else said, and now you're going to cry about it. It isn't so much that he expressed his opinion, but the way in which he chose to express it. That and I think the fact that he chose to express his opinion AT ALL based upon your comment.

The only thing I can say to that is, toughen your hide. It's a big world out there, and sometimes people say things that will make you feel not good. You have two choices.

A.) Get butthurt when someone says something that doesn't jive right with you. Take offense, and rain down righteous indignation upon the offender.

B.) Realize that offense is a choice. There is no such thing as something being patently offensive, as nothing in this world offends everyone. Therefore, when you find yourself offended, you have chosen to be offended. You can just as easily, choose to not be offended.
DUDE chillax! I thought that by now i had made it perfectly clear that i couldn't give a flying fuck about whether ot not he reviews starcraft OK?!
my point is he could afford a bit of manners about how he expresses his opinion.
for instance, He could have just said "I will not be reviewing starcraft 2, ever.
i just don't see the point of being unduly rude, if they aren't going to listen do matter what you type then why not type something witty even reasonable fans are capable of enjoying, i mean thats what he is known for right?

Oh and about your comment of 3 paragraphs being to much trouble (not required to make point btw),
the man plays video games for a living, im sure he has a few minutes to write a few paragraphs.
I'm not even gonna bring up how he doesn't seem to finish most games he reviews. (OOOPS)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hilarious ending! And Limbo...I enjoyed playing it, did think it was a little short but oh god...that spider

AgentLex

Dec 15, 2009
RadiusXd said:
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:

Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
If you're honestly this upset over such a frail comment, I'd suggest staying away from Zero Punctuation reviews altogether.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I played the demos for both games, and to be honest I found neither of them to be particularly interesting. Deathspank is humorous, but, as Yahtzee rightly stated, frustrating - and having played Sacred 2 on the 360, there's really no reason for me to play Deathspank; as it's the same game done poorly, but with much better writing...

Limbo, on the other hand, seemed boring. I understand what it's trying to represent; but the "art" is so minimalistic that it doesn't register as art to me. It's just a platformer / puzzler with iffy mechanics and overly-dark art style.

Of course this is only my impressions based on the demo - with those impressions why would I have bought either game - neither are exactly innovating (Yahtzee seemed to imply they were)...

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
AgentLex said:
RadiusXd said:
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:

Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
If you're honestly this upset over such a frail comment, I'd suggest staying away from Zero Punctuation reviews altogether.
hey, i started just pointing out something i felt was a little annoying, i defend my opinions, and before you know it I'm being accused of encroaching on peoples freedoms, like I'm the Chinese authorities or something!
SO YEAH, I'M A LITTLE PISSED THAT MY OPINION CAN'T BE EXPRESSED BUT YAHTZEES CAN!

rayskyrift

All that is man
Oct 29, 2009
That review was definitely more old school. Seems like he didn't force himself so much in that last one. Although the Crackdown 2 one, while not very funny, was dead on.

lumpenprole

Apr 15, 2009
RadiusXd said:
If it isn't in his juristiction then that's perfectly fine, just don't be so snide about it yahtzee!
Wait, what? You're asking Yahtzee not to be snide? You... you're new here aren't you?

Also, I'm almost done Limbo and I'm digging it a lot. Actually looking forward to Deathspank now too. Because I'm both a cheese-eating elite and a fried chicken scoffing retard.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Personally I didn't mind the short length of Limbo. Sure I finished it the day I got it but the same can be said for Portal. I feel the game was long enough as by the time it ended it had pretty much done everything it could think of.

Zhukov said:
Definitely agree with the bit about the ending of Limbo.

The forest section was good, but once you get into the factory-ish environment, the atmosphere just drains away.
I actually thought the atmosphere stood pretty strong in the industrial levels. There's something incredibly haunting about being alone in a dark factory with tons of buzzsaws and other menacing industrial hazards

I found the parts of the factory levels where you pull a lever causing the level to spin around to be incredibly intense and even frightening

It wasn't until the last couple of levels that I thought the game lost it's atmosphere and even then it made a quick (though somewhat sloppy) return in the very final level.

I'll grant you it is very hard to see the traps until it's already to late but I kinda feel that was the point. It sort of reminds me of Dragon's Lair in that you have to beat the game through trial and error.

I have to agree when it comes to the ending (SPOILER WARNING: THE REMAINDER OF THIS POST REVEALS THE ENDING OF THE GAME AS WELL AS SOME SPECULATION ON WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS IN THE STORY. IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME READ THE FOLLOWING AT YOUR OWN RISK)

I mean come on you can't even show the boy and his sister getting back together? Even though the protagonist never spoke a word the things he went through to try and find his sister made me genuinely care about his plight and want him to succeed. After all that an explanation would be nice. I would have even settled for a DOOM style text screen but no; boy finds girl we assume to be his sister, girl stands up, THE END. Other people who saw this ending have speculated that the boy and his sister are actually dead (probably from falling out of a tree house) and are stuck in some form of afterlife which is an interesting theory but I still feel it would have been better if the game itself gave us an explanation.

Other than that, brilliant game. One of the best games of the year IMO.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
When I opened the video and didn't get a advertisement, I was suprised.

But beyond my hatred of advertisements, good review regardless.

AgentLex

Dec 15, 2009
RadiusXd said:
AgentLex said:
RadiusXd said:
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:

Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
hey, i started just pointing out something i felt was a little annoying, i defend my opinions, and before you know it I'm being accused of encroaching on peoples freedoms, like I'm the Chinese authorities or something!
SO YEAH, I'M A LITTLE PISSED THAT MY OPINION CAN'T BE EXPRESSED BUT YAHTZEES CAN!
First, you need to practice what you preach and chillax.

Second, it's fair that you get to criticize Yahtzee's method of expressing his opinion as "impolite" and "unnecessary" yet it's unfair to have your own opinion criticized?

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
I liked this review for the sheer fact it celebrated more independant games this time instead of reviewing some major publication again. I like the fact that limbo gives me something new to actually play then something i have played a thousand times.

Apr 16, 2010
Actually, the original biblical saying goes more like:

"the LOVE of money (power, wealth, possessions, etc.) is the root of all evil."

just saying.... ..... .

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
AgentLex said:
RadiusXd said:
AgentLex said:
RadiusXd said:
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:

Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
First, you need to practice what you preach and chillax.

Second, it's fair that you get to criticize Yahtzee's method of expressing his opinion as "impolite" and "unnecessary" yet it's unfair to have your own opinion criticized?
I didn't say "SUCK IT YAHTZEE!
it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Chai Mochi

Sep 13, 2009
This site has been selling me on Limbo, I really wanna get the game...Sadly I have no x-box -__-''

Roninraver

Dec 2, 2009
RadiusXd said:
DUDE chillax! I thought that by now i had made it perfectly clear that i couldn't give a flying fuck about whether ot not he reviews starcraft OK?!
my point is he could afford a bit of manners about how he expresses his opinion.
for instance, He could have just said "I will not be reviewing starcraft 2, ever.
i just don't see the point of being unduly rude, if they aren't going to listen do matter what you type then why not type something witty even reasonable fans are capable of enjoying, i mean thats what he is known for right?

Oh and about your comment of 3 paragraphs being to much trouble (not required to make point btw),
the man plays video games for a living, im sure he has a few minutes to write a few paragraphs.
I'm not even gonna bring up how he doesn't seem to finish most games he reviews. (OOOPS)
I'm not addressing whether or not YOU wish a Starcraft 2 review be made, I haven't once in our big quote pyramid done so. I am addressing your insistence that Yahtzee needs to justify his opinion, or the manner in which he expresses it, and your view that he needs to be classy while he does so.

The fact of the matter is, he doesn't, and he doesn't, and he doesn't.

How long have you been watching ZP? How often is he a shining beacon of class and upright character? With the exception of the April Fool's Day joke episode, I'd say never. He is crass, and he is harsh, and he is ill-mannered (as my grandmother would say.) He's also incredibly amusing for these reasons, and the way in which he applies his quirks of character to his reviews.

The issue here, I feel, is that this time as a member of the Starcraft fanbase, you just happened to be under the gun. Do you think he is overly harsh to game developers in his reviews? Do you stand up for them, and say "Yahtzee, old bean, came off a bit brusque there! Poor developers tried their best, no need for the sharp words!" or the players of MMO's that he bashes at every opportunity?
He's certainly been several orders of magnitude more harsh to them that he's been to the Starcraft 2 fanbase with this comment, but you choose this single line at the ass-end of one review to try and call him on his manners?

You're asking him to play favorites, plain and simple. It's fun to laugh at rude comments directed at others, but it's completely uncalled for when directed at a group you self-identify with, right?

Wrong. It's still funny. I am myself, a big Starcraft and Starcraft 2 fan. I also play MMO's. And I can take a joke. I can also handle a "rude" comment without demanding that someone justify themselves, or make amends by granting myself and the fanbase I identify with, special treatment.

Remember that whole "offense is a choice" thing I said? This is me making it. Now you try!

Sterling|D-Reaver

Jun 14, 2010
Christopher Bruening said:
Actually, the original biblical saying goes more like:

"the LOVE of money (power, wealth, possessions, etc.) is the root of all evil."

just saying.... ..... .
Yup, probably the most miss quoted saying in history :)

hmm with Yahtzee's great wit and insults I was surprised to find out about the RTS thing. . . doesn't really bother me it just seems weird.

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
SO YEAH, I'M A LITTLE PISSED THAT MY OPINION CAN'T BE EXPRESSED BUT YAHTZEES CAN!- Radius

This is something I am rather simply going to explain. You and Yahtzee both expressed opinions. The only difference is, Yahtzee seems to be able to deal with criticism and other opinions better than you. Most of the time, he jokes, or doesn't give a rat's A**. You however, resorted to textual yelling the moment someone considers your opinion invalid.

Forget avoiding ZP, you might want to avoid the Net in total. Its going to have people that hate your opinion/worship your opinion(maybe?)/ want to find a way to set your words on fire so no one has to witness the so called drivel.

Everyone, can express their opinion. The difference is how you deal with it.

Roninraver

Dec 2, 2009
AngelBlackChaos said:
SO YEAH, I'M A LITTLE PISSED THAT MY OPINION CAN'T BE EXPRESSED BUT YAHTZEES CAN!- Radius

This is something I am rather simply going to explain. You and Yahtzee both expressed opinions. The only difference is, Yahtzee seems to be able to deal with criticism and other opinions better than you. Most of the time, he jokes, or doesn't give a rat's A**. You however, resorted to textual yelling the moment someone considers your opinion invalid.

Forget avoiding ZP, you might want to avoid the Net in total. Its going to have people that hate your opinion/worship your opinion(maybe?)/ want to find a way to set your words on fire so no one has to witness the so called drivel.

Everyone, can express their opinion. The difference is how you deal with it.
To echo this poster, and add my feelings on the matter.

Here are the similarities between you and Yahtzee:

Yahtzee expressed an opinion.
You expressed an opinion.

Here are the differences between you and Yahtzee:

You demanded that Yahtzee censor his opinion, and couch the manner in which he expressed it so that it would be more palatable to your sensibilities.

You can say what you will, where you will, when you will. And you should be free to do so without censorship.
If someone personally thinks that I am a smug little douchebag, and yells it from the rooftops, I will defend their right to express that opinion.

If someone that doesn't think these things about me, a friend perhaps, tries to censor the person expressing these negative views about me, I will instantly crawl up his ass like an ill-fitting speedo.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
"Developed by manic depressives for manic depressives"

...I guess I should get it then. :/

Wulfenlord

May 28, 2008
Really great Yahtzee, review some great-looking indie games were the ****** developers don't plan a PC release. Fucking console peasants, this is why PC gamers pirate (because we only get EA/Actiblizzard generic shootan or 1/3 of Starcraft 2 for full price), if some of those games were released on Steam the masterrace would easily surpass console sales

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
JacobyPAX said:
I agree. I mean, if he hates a game he's played, that's fine. But he should at least give it a shot before dismissing it so offhandedly.

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
This is why I like Yahtzee. He's not afraid to call a game out on it's bullshit.

I was really annoyed at all the reviewers saying how awesome LIMBO was when really the only thing it had going for it was it's atmosphere, which doesn't really hold up for very long.

littlerudi08107

Sep 23, 2009
I find it very odd, that Yahtzee refuses to review Starcraft 2 claiming that he's not interested in RTS games. When in the past he's reviewed other genres that he had no particular interest in like Smash Bros, Soul Caliber 4, Gears of War 2, etc. He even reviewed Borderlands and Call of Duty 4 because everyone kept asking him too. What's the deal?

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
Arcanist said:
JacobyPAX said:
I agree. I mean, if he hates a game he's played, that's fine. But he should at least give it a shot before dismissing it so offhandedly.
He doesn't hate Starcraft. He isn't reviewing it because he doesn't understand the genre and knows he wont be able to give it a good review. He specificaly said this in his Extra Punctuation on RTS's.

The note at the end of the review was a jab at all of the people he knows will be on his ass about him not reviewing it, despite already explaining why he wont.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Deathspank is the goods, though the humour is probably more "refreshing" than "good."

Haven't tried Limbo, but it seems worth it.

Varewulf

Nosgoth Fanboy
Oct 22, 2009
I suppose this is all the mention we'll get on Transformers? I was hoping he'd do a full review, but I guess I can't have my way all the time. :p

rabidkanid

Mar 26, 2008
"Starcraft 2 can continue sucking it"
THANKYOU!!
You sir are a breath of fresh air in a sea of annoying praise for every cough and piss of nostalgia a developer relies on.

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
Pyode said:
Arcanist said:
JacobyPAX said:
He doesn't hate Starcraft. He isn't reviewing it because he doesn't understand the genre and knows he wont be able to give it a good review. He specificaly said this in his Extra Punctuation on RTS's.

The note at the end of the review was a jab at all of the people he knows will be on his ass about him not reviewing it, despite already explaining why he wont.
I know he doesn't hate the game, but he shouldn't dismiss a game unless he's played it. The comment at the end of this ZP just smacks of antagonizing dick move.

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
Arcanist said:
I know he doesn't hate the game, but he shouldn't dismiss a game unless he's played it. The comment at the end of this ZP just smacks of antagonizing dick move.
Again, he's not "dismissing" the game. He's "dismissing" all of the people who will (and no doubt already have) send him tons of emails, tweets, and comments on his reviews about how he should review a game that he has already said he didn't want to review.

If people would just chill out and let him review what he wants, he wouldn't have to try so hard to get his point across.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Yahtzee claims he won't review SC2 but we all know from his SSBB review that even if he really, really doesn't want to he will review a game we ***** at him about for long enough.

CaptainKoala

May 23, 2010
Sinclose said:
I agree, but is it just me or does it feel like, after every review, you still can't tell if he liked the game or not. He did the normal critic thing of pointing out flaws but he never usually gives his personal opinion on games.

Linkassassin360

Dec 28, 2009
jackanderson said:
Nice review. Definately reminded me of the older ZP's.

I wish Limbo would come to PS3.

On the bright side, this means that the aisle is cleared for a review of Split/Second: Velocity! Right?
Wrong... Sorry, but yahtzee tends to focus on newer games of the generes he likes. FPS's, 3rd person shooters, 3rd person puzzle/platforming. He doesnt quite strike me as a fan of racing games,so its much more likely hes gonna review that transformers game, or possibly another retro review. Shame though, Split/second would make for a funny review, he would bash its name no doubt.

NostalgiaImitator

Dec 3, 2008
If you never branch out you will continue being disappointed by run of the mill shooters with crappy story and standard graphics, etc.

But w/e I'd prefer you didn't review SC2 because you would do what you did to Halo 3, not check out SC1 story and say "Durr, Idk the story so I'm gonna criticize the story because I don't know what's going on even tho story is what I claim to care about most durr."

Why don't you go review one of the worst representatives of the RTS genre with Halo Wars again and do it again on a console not designed for RTS play (any non computer). We don't want you on SC2, the flagship for the genre.

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
Linkassassin360 said:
Actually, he said he was playing Split/Second: Velocity in the most recent Extra Punctuation, so he probably will be reviewing it. However, it's unclear if he will be reviewing it next week or the week after.

Linkassassin360

Dec 28, 2009
Pyode said:
Linkassassin360 said:
Actually, he said he was playing Split/Second: Velocity in the most recent Extra Punctuation, so he probably will be reviewing it. However, it's unclear if he will be reviewing it next week or the week after.
Whoops, havent gotten around to reading that quite yet.

Mattteus

May 1, 2009
I don't know what it is about eastern European cartoons but they are all so dreary and depressing... and it's the love of money that is the root of all evil, not money itself.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Well since I don't really want to try eating a dick at the moment, I better go download one of these right now.
sheesh, talk about playing hardball

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Woooo Double-Bill!! I love these. Yahtzee should review small indie titles more often.

Anyway, on topic, both look super duper awesome, but I'm reallu strapped for cash at the moment, and I've got a large pile of other games that need finishing. Maybe sometime in the future. I think I'll get DeathSpank, if I can find it on special on the PSN one day.

Funkiest Monkey

Jul 10, 2010
JacobyPAX said:
Yahtzee said in the latest Extra Punctuation that he will not review Starcraft 2, ever. He made it quite clear he doesn't like RTS games. [small]Meanwhile, I'm gonna go and cry that my computer can't run SC2. But as soon as I get my new rig, that game is top priority![/small]

OT: This review made me laugh, especially the closing joke. I had the same problem with Deathspank, although it was funny, the gameplay did grate on me a bit.

However, in my opinion, Limbo can piss off. I said it when Braid came out, and I'll say it now, I couldn't give a flying fuck if it's "artistic". I'm not paying 1200 bloody points for an extremely short game. Now don't get me wrong, we do need more original and creative games, but I'm not willing to spend my money on it. I'm sure it's a good experience though, so maybe I'll buy it when it's "Deal Of The Week" or something.

JacobPlackett

Oct 25, 2008
I couldn't agree with him on the War For Cybertron thing. Not challenging? I see this man hasn't fought Trypticon on hard without Co-Op.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Flash games I played I like better then Limber and they don't have 20 pounds of cash in development, but that is just me.

Keeperixx

Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Apocolyptic despair? with Limbo?

That sort of thing is what I get playing Fallout 3, which is probubly my answer to your Silent Hill 2.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
I agree 100% on both.

Deathspank's humor is annoying and the baddies all blend in the with the background to the point of being invisible.

Limbo was great but degenerated into a series of physics puzzles. Great start, poor finish.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
solidstatemind said:
Love the Cure reference. Betcha it was 'Disintegration'...
I don't know, even Love Cats would make me dream in grey shade about things trying to kill me.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I played DeathSpank that while repetitive in the sense of all other hack n' slash RPGs was oddly enough carried by the humor.

Limbo on the other hand was carried by the graphics since in all honesty I've played better platformer mechanics, but they're not bad.

It's an odd selection to review since they're so different... but then again given the variety of your audience I suppose it could make sense.

Also was that your brief review of War for Cybertron? Not your cup of tea eh?

mrtenk

Aug 4, 2009
AgentLex said:
RadiusXd said:
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:

Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
I have to agree with this guy. This thread caught my eye because it quickly became a flame war. Just let it be man, everyone shares a different point of view. I would personally love to see Yahtzee throw a *****-fit over Starcraft II, but alas, that'll never happen.

As Yahtzee once said, (and I'm paraphrasing) "I don't understand the crusade-esque favore this console generation has attracted." well, now you've become that guy. except instead of defending a console your defending a game critic with a witty sense of humour and obvious self esteem issues. I'm pretty sure someone as egotistical as he is doesn't care how people interpret his banter or what people like you think. Just let it be man, let it go.

Neo0MJ

Jan 4, 2010
Come on people. While some parts of the single player in TF:WFC were nice, it was still lacking. Plus, there were plenty of bugs. Maybe next time they can do it right.

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
I love Transformers with a passion that few mortals can comprehend. I bought War For Cybertron expecting a competent yet cliched, nostalgia-driven boomfest and that was exactly what I got. Exciting or memorable would have been nice, but there ya go. If I'd owned Gears of War I'd probably have waited for WFC to drop to budget before picking it up.

Still, figures of Optimus and Bumblebee are already out and Megatron and Soundwave are coming soon. They might be the best part of the whole affair :)

-Nick

pikmintaro

Sep 16, 2009
"Money is the root of all evil" a lot of people get this quote wrong for some reason, the actual quote from the Bible is "1 Timothy 6:10 THE LOVE of Money is the root of all kinds of evil"

Anyways good review as always, if I had an Xbox 360 I would probably buy that Limbo game, it sort of reminds me of "Knytt" which is a different game on PC.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
If only limbo wasn't xbox exclusive, I hate that shit. Its the only console I don't have.

Traumaward313

Nov 24, 2009
At what point did we decide to start pointing out that every game is a clone of every other game when we've known this since gaming was invented? o_O We don't do this with movies when there's no difference.

It's called a genre! And as such it's going to have very many similarities to all other games in it's GENRE.

Also, Gears of War is the only game of it's kind o_O

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Limbo make me remember games like Oddworld and Hearth of Darkness.
If one day it comes to the PC, I'll buy.

Zeroththeking

Jan 20, 2009
Im kind of confused about the last comment. I am pretty sure that Yahtzee replied that he played all games on Medium mode. So how could he say that War For Cybertron players can eat a dick, when he doesn't even go as far as the hardest mode on that game? I mean hey, he got bent over by Demon's Souls, so I can understand if he is confused about what Easy and Hard actually is, but unless he played the hardest mode, he can't really call the game "easy".

And at least the game is better then the movie. The most recent pile of diarrhea movie.

captain underpants

Jun 8, 2010
All you people blathering about Starcraft 2 just got trolled. :)

And yeah, it's the love of money that's the root of all evil. Well, according to the Bible, if you're into that kind of thing.

greenflash

Jul 13, 2010
YOU DARE TALK ABOUT STARCRAFT 2 AND WITH OUT A REVIEW YOU MASSIVE TURD. YOU ARE A GAME CRITIC AND YOU NEVER PLAYED IT AND YET YOU CALL IT BAD WTF!

Zeroththeking

Jan 20, 2009
greenflash said:
YOU DARE TALK ABOUT STARCRAFT 2 AND WITH OUT A REVIEW YOU MASSIVE TURD. YOU ARE A GAME CRITIC AND YOU NEVER PLAYED IT AND YET YOU CALL IT BAD WTF!
See this is why. He doesn't play the game, and if he were to review it, he would probably miss out on most ofthe detail. And plus, he would be boring the hell out of himself for reviewing it. Relax you troll, go play the game and tell yourself that it is good. You don't need any confirmation.

Edit: And he never said that it was bad. He said he doesn't like RTS games. Get your facts straight.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Haha, that was pretty good. It does remind me of some of the older ZPs, although I'm not sure why. I've loved them all and this one was no different. Maybe it's got something to do with his "money is the root of all evil" thing at the start.

Prometheous

Nov 20, 2009
Limbo was phenomenal

End of story

To be frank the length was not magnificent but the atmosphere was good for more than just our over-stereotyped friends with dark hair and the puzzles deserve some more credit as I found myself stumped once or twice and ready for another little box move and jump before the saw blade rips my pleasant 10 year old boy into oblivion

Yes you see what I did there? The no punctuation. Boy am I cheeky

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
WOULD YOU KNOCK IT OFF WITH THE SPIDERS ALREADY! THEY GIVE US THE WILLIES!

the silhouette one wasn't too bad I suppose and was part of the game but those horrible hairy monsters brought out on signs? Blllleauuurgh!

Neil Bolin

Aug 5, 2010
Interesting, your review for deathspark- it made me think of my experience with Postal 2. With no doubt, Postal 2 was totally awful as a single player fps. However, its humor carried the whole whole game by leaps and bounds. is this the formula deathspark follows with its parody of the modern rpg? i don't know, but i shall investigate myself as soon as I can afford to rent.

Straz

Jan 10, 2010
THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL YOU GIANT TWAT, YAHTZEE.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Wonderful review ^~^! I just checked out Limbo after I watched this review. It looks like it would be difficult to see anything. It's very atmospheric though >~<!

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
HerbertTheHamster said:
Why do I get the feeling Mogworld isn't very well written if Yahtzee can't even spell "artifact" properly... :(
You do know that outside of America people occasionally spell things differently? Like, for example, in Britain, the country from which English originated, and also Yahtzee's own place of birth?

OT: I nearly woke everyone up in my house this morning laughing at the first joke. Thank you Yahtzee, I really needed some good old ZP stress release yesterday.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
I'm sorry I had to stop this half way through, I like ZP usually but this week it was boring as.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
What's with all the people commenting and saying that Gears of War is unique? It's a third person shooter wher you play as a macho power armoured military jargon spitting drones who are fighting against aliens with their ally; the chest high wall. That sure is unique.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
I felt that way when I played Deathspank. I thought... oh god I accidentally bought a Diablo clone. I hate these types of games with mindless quests, silly loot tables, isometric camera, etc. Also, I didn't find the humor to be very humorous.

Haven't tried Limbo yet, but I'll probably pass on that as well because I despise trial and error games.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
RadiusXd said:
i thought Yahtzee was pefectly reasonable when he explained he was unqualified to evaluate rts games, however, i do feel the attitude inherent in his closing message was both a strong constrast to his reason in extra puntuation and that it was needlessly hurtful.

If he isn't gonna review it then it isn't in his circle of expertise, so why does he keep dredging the subject up in a childish manner?
Maybe because his fans are childish in a way that they still want him to review Starcraft 2 even after reading his Extra Punctuation?

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
Centrophy said:
I felt that way when I played Deathspank. I thought... oh god I accidentally bought a Diablo clone. I hate these types of games with mindless quests, silly loot tables, isometric camera, etc. Also, I didn't find the humor to be very humorous.

Haven't tried Limbo yet, but I'll probably pass on that as well because I despise trial and error games.
Isn't every game trial and error? I have not yet been exposed to a game wherein you never fail...not yet anyways.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
JacobyPAX said:
Yahtzee has always made small quips about things he hasn't fully reviewed. If he couldn't take a pot shot at a game he hasn't fully reviewed, then he wouldn't be able to make half his jokes.

Besides, he said imn Extra Punctuation that he doesn't care about a full game.

THis was a rather nostagic review. As people have said before me, it feels very much like the old reviews. It was well done

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Straz said:
THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL YOU GIANT TWAT, YAHTZEE.
Really dude? What's with the attitude. Contribute something wityh discussion value in the forums or don't post. There is literally no point to this

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
greenflash said:
Hey! Do yourself a favor, read the Extra punctuation where he tells you straight up: He doesn't give a shit. He pops quips at games he hasn't played all the time, but the moment he says it about Starcraft you get pissed?

Stop trolling

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Zeroththeking said:
Im kind of confused about the last comment. I am pretty sure that Yahtzee replied that he played all games on Medium mode. So how could he say that War For Cybertron players can eat a dick, when he doesn't even go as far as the hardest mode on that game? I mean hey, he got bent over by Demon's Souls, so I can understand if he is confused about what Easy and Hard actually is, but unless he played the hardest mode, he can't really call the game "easy".

And at least the game is better then the movie. The most recent pile of diarrhea movie.
"Medium" difficulty is always described as what is good for the average gamer. Hard is for the hardcore gamers and easy is for people NEW to that sort of game. So medium is meant to be the level most playable.

He doens't play on hard because some games only pump up the difficulty a bit, while others set the mode to "Anal Fist Me" and he doens't have time for that. So he plays on what MOST people will play the game on, what the average person will play the game on.

If you need hard mode to have a good game, great! Not ALL of us do. So his reviews are actually more accurate since he plays on the average difficulty

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
angelblack said:

Didn't you read his article? No starcraft. Ever. He doesn't get RTS's end of story.

eva243

Jan 29, 2009
I think he should try playing A Boy and His Blob as well that was a great title sort of along these same lines of creativity.

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
His point comes across and sounds fair enough, both games'gameplay is pretty poor but it carries on humor/grimdark.

I cant remember the last time I laughed while playing a videogame before Deathspank so it deserves a commendation imo.

NSGrendel

Jul 1, 2010
Starting with a misquote because it serves your purpose: -50 literary cred points Yahtzee.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Dude... you just said eating a dick is unchallenging. Just though I'd draw that to your attention :)

ValleWikked

Aug 5, 2010
First thing firtst, im new to the website, my brother's girlfriends friend introduced me to this site just last week and I haven't taken my eyes of it. Zero Punctuation is by far (for me) THE most awesomely correct reviewer of games ever. (if my english is bad it's because im swedish and constantly provoced by flesheating polarbears) But anyhew, thumbs up on this awesome site.

second, Im a out of the gutter, hopefully soon to get employment animator. and I was wondering wich animation / graphic software this series is created in, I love the alignment of lines and the smoothness of curves and so forth. I would just like to know so I could try it out for some of my Logo ideas and animation projects.

cheers!

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
Good view on Limbo, actually I quite like the game, although it feels a bit overhyped, especially as it gets a little bit bland after a while. Still I'm glad I've spent the 1200 M$ points on it.

f0re1gn

DON'T PANIC
Jan 21, 2009
This is the best review for the past months!

I didn't even have to rewatch it 4 times to get the jokes, they were all right there and I still lol every time I hear the final phrase!

GFG!

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
petrolmonkey said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that it is the love of money that is the route of all evil.
Thank you for this. I searched the comments first to make sure I wasn't just the 34th person to say this. This is so rarely quoted correctly, and it affects the meaning quite a bit, that it's worth it to point out the correct version whenever possible.

With Yahtzee's intellectual content underlying the humor this really is the sort of thing that I suspect he likes to get right, despite the funny.

Bottom line; money is neutral, it can be used to great good, the evil done in pursuit of it, and valuing it more than people, is what's wrong.

And can someone tell a Yank, is Branston Pickle sweet, like American relish, or sour like a dill pickle?

Only visited the U.K. once for five days and never had it.

Roninraver

Dec 2, 2009
wonkify said:
petrolmonkey said:
Thank you for this. I searched the comments first to make sure I wasn't just the 34th person to say this. This is so rarely quoted correctly, and it affects the meaning quite a bit, that it's worth it to point out the correct version whenever possible.

With Yahtzee's intellectual content underlying the humor this really is the sort of thing that I suspect he likes to get right, despite the funny.

Bottom line; money is neutral, it can be used to great good, the evil done in pursuit of it, and valuing it more than people, is what's wrong.

And can someone tell a Yank, is Branston Pickle sweet, like American relish, or sour like a dill pickle?

He does say in the review that "They say that money is the root of all evil." And considering that most people (assumed to be "they") regurgitate the phrase in that form, then he would be correct in his use. He doesn't say "They originally said that..." after all. Sayings have a habit of mutation over time, until they become something else entirely on the surface, but still recognizable in their meaning.

Or he just got it wrong, take your pick.

And I have no idea what Branston pickle tastes like, other than a friend telling me that it is just like chopped dills in a sweet sauce, and it apparently goes well with cheeses.

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
Roninraver said:
wonkify said:
petrolmonkey said:

He does say in the review that "They say that money is the root of all evil." And considering that most people (assumed to be "they") regurgitate the phrase in that form, then he would be correct in his use. He doesn't say "They originally said that..." after all. Sayings have a habit of mutation over time, until they become something else entirely on the surface, but still recognizable in their meaning.

Or he just got it wrong, take your pick.

And I have no idea what Branston pickle tastes like, other than a friend telling me that it is just like chopped dills in a sweet sauce, and it apparently goes well with cheeses.
Thanks!

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I may have been Ninja'd on this, but if not, here's a quote from the review:

"Rich businessmen who wear tight suits who won't even put 20 cents in a gunball machine if the can't expect a return of investments are the root of all bland samey action adventure clones kneeling on the bed of a dried up watering hole licking the dirt for moisture."

Also, the spider is so far my #1 favorite antagonist of 2010. So far...

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ehhh I'm not spending money on much of anything these days it seems
DeathSpank just doesn't seem to be something I wanna invest in, Limbo is definitely something I wanna try out eventually but I'm not willing to shell out the money atm
I did rent War for Cybertron tho hahaha...gameplay was great, but the Decepticon levels were bleh. felt good when I finished it tho, so I guess that's cool and serves the point of gaming

now for the September game releases...oh yes oh boy

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Good reviews, Limbo seems interesting, but I'm not buying either.

Really came here to say the actual phrase is "The love of money is the root of all evil". Which is really what Yahtzee said when he switched it to people.

We like to objectify evil; TV, Games, Guns, Money, Sex, and Gummi bears are evil. Wrong, what humans choose to do with or without such items is evil. Saying that money is the root of all evil is just a cop-out which takes the blame off of the human element.

Oh yeah, and that one guy of the same name in these forums.

... though those gummi bears...

Grand_Marquis

Feb 9, 2009
I loved the little "Angry Birds" shout-out/assault-and-battery
Also, THANK YOU for also seeing that the first Scary Movie was a parody of a parody. Which is the 2nd worst kind of parody, just behind 'parody of a bunch of movie trailers we found'

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Technically, the saying is "the love of money is the root of all evil."

But yes, Scary Movie did make the collective IQ of the world drop several points. I actually felt it.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I have yet to play DeathSpank, but I can say that Limbo is incredibly overrated in my eyes. Yes, its a platformer that starts out really strong, but come the mid-way point, after being grabbed by the brain munching worm for the 3-4th time, I kinda realized that this game doesn't really go anywhere (Other then to the right, but that is beyond the point.) and the ending was a bigger disappointment then the ending to Lost or the Sopranos.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
I loved his review of Transformers:War for Cybertron. Short and to the point.

Seriously though Yahtzee, you have to review Starcraft 2. Even other caustic critics like AngryJoe are bending over and spreading their bumholes for this game. We need some hate in here!!!

Shoto Koto

May 13, 2009
I feel a strange and deeply uncomfortable connection to this video I live right next to Northampton. Woo, claim to fame right there.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
I didn't think Limbo was short...

Then again i guess being stuck at lots of the puzzles kinda makes it feel along time.

Yea, i aint the smartest tool in the shed.
Im on the part with gravity and blocks or summin like that. 2nd chapter from last i think.
Cant be arsed to get on with it.

Sydust

Nov 18, 2009
I've played Deathspank twice, first as Deathspank and then as Sparkles, the co-op partner. I love it, because funny games are my favorite. Seriously, if you liked Monkey Island, you will love this game. I recommend playing on co-op though. It's a different and more fun experience to have a buddy laughing along with you.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Played the PSN demo of Deathspank and I enjoyed it a lot. BUT Yahtzee is spot on with the criticism on the tiny text. I found myself squinting so damn much. This is apparently not I game I can play from bed, as I tried to do. So aside from the absurdly small text and some other details being kind of an eyestrain, the only other annoyance was the invisible walls. It's not always clear where you can or cannot walk. I found the parody/humor in it to be a bit too obvious, probably something I would get tired of pretty quick in the full thing.
Don't have xbox so no comment on the other game.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Liked the black and white sequence for Limbo.

I would probably play Limbo if I had time. Developing apps for the iPhone is still pretty expensive but not as much as making a stand alone game. Does anyone still do Flash games?

James Geekie

Jul 8, 2010
Sinclose said:
For some reason, I think this episode felt more like some of the older ZP vids. And for me