Zero Punctuation: Demon's Souls

Bocalt

Dec 19, 2009
Why the hell was he recommended Demon's soul but never Persona 3/4? as a jrpg its one of the most original, addictive jrpgs.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Fronzel said:
Really looking forward to next week's Extra Punctuation.
Hey, he can whine about it as much as he wants, giving an opinion isn't the same as a review. Especially when said opinion is eschewed towards the downsides of a game for the sake of humor.

He admits that he focuses on the bad because it's funnier, he admits that he is not impartial and that it's just his opinion. He makes no pretense of fairness, or impartiality, or any of that stuff, because there is none. So why then should his video have any more or less bearing than the other 600 posts out here? Why would someone get mad and DEMAND him to re-review this game? Seems silly to me.

Zero Punctuation is a man's opinion on games he's played, with a comedic tone and a negative slant. Now you can sit here and complain about how all reviews are ultimately personal opinion, but the point is they're not SUPPOSED to be (and I'll bet they aren't. I'll bet most reviews are ultimately about how much money the reviewee is giving the reviewer in ad revenue, both currently and in the future, but I disgress). Zero Punctuation, as far as I understand it, was never SUPPOSED to be an indepth, impartial and fair look at game.

If it WAS meant to be that way, if it WAS meant to be indepth, impartial and fair, then I apologize to Yahtzee for the misunderstanding and would like instead to point out that he sucks at his job.

He's either a good comedian or a bad reviewer. Personally, I see him as a good comedian, but you can see him however you feel like...

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
The Deadpool said:
Zero Punctuation is a man's opinion on games he's played, with a comedic tone and a negative slant.
Well, wait.. which is it? Is it an opinion of a game or completely comedy? Why do you seem to be trying to have it both ways?

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
runtheplacered said:
Well, wait.. which is it? Is it an opinion of a game or completely comedy? Why do you seem to be trying to have it both ways?
When did the two become mutually exclusive?

Think about it, me and Yahtzee both played the game and both agree on the same point. He made a four and a half minute video about it. I can just type "Game's hard and unforgiving."

They're both a man's opinion. They're both the SAME opinion. One of them is funny, the other one isn't.

Neither is a review though...

Tortle

Sep 5, 2009
I had almost exactly the same experience as Yahtzee when I played the game, although I don't want to destroy the disk. My only real gripe with the game is the checkpoint system. If it didn't require me to start from the beginning of the level I might still be playing it. Rather than Pokemon:Mystery Dungeon.
Also, am I the only one who thinks that Yahtzees's depiction of his avatar looks like the orderly from Psychonauts?

zondervan

Oct 17, 2008
I think the main point in all of this is not the fact that Yahtzee did not like the game. The real problem is that he gripes about invalid things: the dodge system for example works perfectly fine. That, combined with the fact that he did not play through even close to half the game before making the video are what everyone is upset about. You can argue opinions and reviews till the apocalypse, but the fact of the matter is that Demon's Souls is a game that a lot of people enjoy and Yahtzee didn't even give it the time of day. I really think that Yahtzee needs to do a follow up on this (maybe actual play the game for more than an hour?) and either admit that this video was bogus or rip the game to shreds proper.

Comedy is only funny if it has some basis in reality-- the opinions in this review were accurate, but only if you are a casual gamer. So if you find yourself nodding in agreement to what Yhatzee said in his Demon's Souls review maybe you should look at yourself.

But hey, being casual isn't a bad thing, it just means you have a life. Just don't pretend to be anything else ... like Yahtzee is doing.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
asam92 said:
Tonimata said:
asam92 said:
Tonimata said:
WAAAAit wait wait wait waaaaaiiiiiitttttt...
wait waiiiiiit...
wait.
Didn't Ms Arendt already review this? Like, AAAAAAAAGES ago?
Falling behind on schedule, Ben? Tsk tsk.
Just to let you know they took ages to release the game here in Australia for a longer than necessary time, hence the reason for being behind.
Aaah, ok, that would make sense, and I sympathize, I'm also prone to receiving goodies later than the rest.
Where are you located btw?
Yeah, i hate getting games late, I actually buy all my games off Play-Asia now, Games are $110 new here in Australia (convert from US$ is about 90 cents to an AUD$) so you can see why we are getting raughted
USA pays $60 for a new game and we pay $100 USD for the same game, but we usually have to wait a couple of weeks before we get it. So Higher price longer waiting period AUSSIE RETAILERS CAN GET STUFFED.
I'm spanish, (it's in my profile), and whilst we definetly don't have it that bad, there is still some issues, like second hand copies being EXTREMELY expensive (most of the time they just sell them as first hand) and the state they keep them in (I had to buy The Orange Box 3 times before I got one that worked (and for 360, nothing less))

The world is unfair, and it sucks.
Can't wait till I move to England...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
zondervan said:
I think the main point in all of this is not the fact that Yahtzee did not like the game. The real problem is that he gripes about invalid things: the dodge system for example works perfectly fine. That, combined with the fact that he did not play through even close to half the game before making the video are what everyone is upset about. You can argue opinions and reviews till the apocalypse, but the fact of the matter is that Demon's Souls is a game that a lot of people enjoy and Yahtzee didn't even give it the time of day. I really think that Yahtzee needs to do a follow up on this (maybe actual play the game for more than an hour?) and either admit that this video was bogus or rip the game to shreds proper.

Comedy is only funny if it has some basis in reality-- the opinion in this review were accurate, but only if you are a casual gamer. So if you find yourself nodding in agreement to what Yhatzee said in his Demon's Souls review maybe you should look at yourself.

But hey, being casual isn't a bad thing, it just means you have a life. Just don't pretend to be anything else ... like Yahtzee is doing.

Well I have to say I have mixed opinions here.

To be honest I think the amount of time he put into the game was enough to form an opinion, even if it's one we do not like. We're talking what was probably at least a couple of hours. To be fair few people are liable to expose themselves to that much time and figure "I am going to do more of this activity I do not find enjoyable, for no reason other than to see if it gets better". We watch The Escapist to hear Yahtzee's opinion and the rather scathing way in which he expresses it.

To be fair, Yahtzee never struck me as someone who was really into "very hard games" despite a lot of his bravedo at times. Demon's Souls is not only a very hard game, but a very complicated game when you get down to it as well. A lot of the situations involved in the game being akin to puzzles rather than an RPG or even an action game. Demon's Souls get easier once you learn, and remember the various gimmicks (at least as far as I've gotten).

When it comes to the dodging Mechanics and such, well I can see what his problem was. The dodge/evade backstep is not useful except in very specific situations, and has to be timed perfectly (as do parries). The "block with shield" button is more your general purpose defense for the beginning of the game, and probably closer to what he was hoping the evade would do. What's more even so you tend to do most of your dodging by rolling, I can't think of many situations where I have relied on a quick backstep as a defense unless an enemy was going into a "Stop and blade frenzy" attack.

Yahtzee has never really been an RPG guy and honestly I can see why he'd find this annoying and not inspiring him to put in the time to master the game.

Heck, you can tell how much time he put into things if he seems to think that coming back to life was intended to be a big "payoff". Most people wind up suiciding at The Nexus to avoid changing their world tendency. He also probably missed the Cling Ring which gives you 3/4 your health as opposed to 50%. Of course in that game it's probably healthier to tend to think of being alive as giving a health boost, rather than it actually reducing your health bar. :p

Patroclus

Sep 28, 2009
@ those of you who want a "real review", go to the section of the website that has said reviews. Y'know... by clicking the tab at the top called "REVIEWS" <__<

Susan Arendt reviewed the very same game, here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/reviews/928-Demons-Souls-Review-Supplement those of you who aren't happy with yahtzee can check it out.

Honestly, no one should be basing what games they buy/don't buy solely on one review. You should be motivated by a genuine interest and no one else should be able to take that interest away from you.

As far the the video itself goes, i loved it. I thought it was funnier than usual. I watched it again maybe three or four times xD

Taranaich

Jul 30, 2008
The Great JT said:
Pardon me for ripping off Conan the Barbarian Ghengis Khan, but what is best in life, Yahtzee?

(And yes, it was Ghengis Khan who said that first, Conan merely copied it off him.)
If you're going to get pedantic, it was only ascribed to Ghengis Khan in a biography. There's no guarantee he ever actually said it. It was certainly said centuries before Milius wrote it in CtB, however.

zondervan

Oct 17, 2008

To be honest I think the amount of time he put into the game was enough to form an opinion, even if it's one we do not like. We're talking what was probably at least a couple of hours. To be fair few people are liable to expose themselves to that much time and figure "I am going to do more of this activity I do not find enjoyable, for no reason other than to see if it gets better". We watch The Escapist to hear Yahtzee's opinion and the rather scathing way in which he expresses it.

To be fair, Yahtzee never struck me as someone who was really into "very hard games" despite a lot of his bravedo at times. Demon's Souls is not only a very hard game, but a very complicated game when you get down to it as well. A lot of the situations involved in the game being akin to puzzles rather than an RPG or even an action game. Demon's Souls get easier once you learn, and remember the various gimmicks (at least as far as I've gotten).

When it comes to the dodging Mechanics and such, well I can see what his problem was. The dodge/evade backstep is not useful except in very specific situations, and has to be timed perfectly (as do parries). The "block with shield" button is more your general purpose defense for the beginning of the game, and probably closer to what he was hoping the evade would do. What's more even so you tend to do most of your dodging by rolling, I can't think of many situations where I have relied on a quick backstep as a defense unless an enemy was going into a "Stop and blade frenzy" attack.

Yahtzee has never really been an RPG guy and honestly I can see why he'd find this annoying and not inspiring him to put in the time to master the game.

Heck, you can tell how much time he put into things if he seems to think that coming back to life was intended to be a big "payoff". Most people wind up suiciding at The Nexus to avoid changing their world tendency. He also probably missed the Cling Ring which gives you 3/4 your health as opposed to 50%. Of course in that game it's probably healthier to tend to think of being alive as giving a health boost, rather than it actually reducing your health bar. :p

You make some fair points, and your level headed tone rings true.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Therumancer said:
Yup. This pretty much explains everything.

Yahtzee basically only gives balanced reviews of action games (FPS, survival horror, etc). If he's reviewing something from any other genre you can pretty much expect him to hate it for some absurd reason that fans of that genre would never care about. In fact, aside from his good taste in action games, Yahtzee's opinions are more or less the same as what you'd find on some Halo fanboy message board (albeit with more wit and better writing).

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
This week's extra punctuation should be enjoyable :D

Oh, and anyone else besides me think this might end up causing another "mailbag showdown" like with the SSBB review?

Helba1984

Dec 17, 2009
Biroshock said:
I had almost exactly the same experience as Yahtzee when I played the game, although I don't want to destroy the disk. My only real gripe with the game is the checkpoint system. If it didn't require me to start from the beginning of the level I might still be playing it. Rather than Pokemon:Mystery Dungeon.
Also, am I the only one who thinks that Yahtzees's depiction of his avatar looks like the orderly from Psychonauts?
It doesn't. there are shortcuts you can open up in the levels that function like checkpoints.

I'm appalled that YZ didn't even find them - it just proves he tried to run straight through the game and expected to live.

Helba1984

Dec 17, 2009
sanzo said:
This week's extra punctuation should be enjoyable :D

Oh, and anyone else besides me think this might end up causing another "mailbag showdown" like with the SSBB review?
God I hope so, because I've already defeated his "review" point-by-point.

Helba1984

Dec 17, 2009
zondervan said:

You make some fair points, and your level headed tone rings true.
He missed the Thief's Ring too, which makes it harder for baddies to notice you and less likely to gangrape you.

And the dogs are easy, all you have to do is draw them out one by one and use turpentine.