Zero Punctuation: Destiny 2

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
So, the non repetitive texture was a thing that Yahtzee could explore for 5 Minutes while the rest of the game was a mixture of Borderlands and Halo?

And yeah, lootboxes ruin everything.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So does that mean Yathzee is going to hook up with Plague of Gripes, so they can stare at wall textures together and talk about what it implies to the story?

I've heard Destiny 2 is better then the first one. Unfortunately, it's still an online shooter thingy built around grinding and loot, which doesn't do anything for me. I tried liking it in Borderlands 2 and eventually realized I didn't really care.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Dalisclock said:
I've heard Destiny 2 is better then the first one. Unfortunately, it's still an online shooter thingy built around grinding and loot, which doesn't do anything for me. I tried liking it in Borderlands 2 and eventually realized I didn't really care.
I gave Sci-Fi Operant Conditioning Chamber 1 a wide berth largely for the reasons you outlined, but S-F OCC 2 Electric Bo--- seems more tempting, what with the greater effort put into presentation and context early doors. I've not really played a conventional FPS for a good while, either.

My own stumbling block, however, is that these types of games retain their obscenely high prices for a veritable eternity, and it's also a full price release that also expects to extort the player for more money post-launch, so in terms of its value proposition it's not exactly appealing.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Dalisclock said:
So does that mean Yathzee is going to hook up with Plague of Gripes, so they can stare at wall textures together and talk about what it implies to the story?
My ears got an erection from the thought of that.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Darth Rosenberg said:
Dalisclock said:
My own stumbling block, however, is that these types of games retain their obscenely high prices for a veritable eternity, and it's also a full price release that also expects to extort the player for more money post-launch, so in terms of its value proposition it's not exactly appealing.
Not to mention the fact that they will probably release an updated version of the game about a year from not like they did with the first game.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Catfood220 said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
Dalisclock said:
Not to mention the fact that they will probably release an updated version of the game about a year from not like they did with the first game.
If you wait for the problem fixing expansion, you're missing on an oddly compelling aspect of Destiny.
There's a weird amount of fun that comes from complaining loudly about the piles of shit you voluntarily exposed yourself to.
Like Star Wars.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I thought Up Yours Publishers was something we were already doing ever since EA turned evil.
Or before that with ET being that game that gets the blame for killing Atari.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
So Destiny 2 is the online version of FO4 (which all quests are paper thinly disguised variants of "Go to the place and shoot the lads")?

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Wonder if Yahtzee is ever going to review Lost Legacy?

Really surprised he didn't mention the bullshit micro transactions.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Yahtzee finally called a game a Skinner Box. Who designed that thing, Bealzeboot, the Canadian Devil?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
demoman_chaos said:
So Destiny 2 is the online version of FO4 (which all quests are paper thinly disguised variants of "Go to the place and shoot the lads")?
I mean, its an FPS, so yes. They don't even make a pretense that its not an FPS like Fallout did.

Its kind of like buying a platformer then being surprised that all problems are solved somehow by jumping from spot to spot.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
I just don't get why there is a Destiny 2 in the first place. What happened to all the people who were really into Destiny, were in clans who raided and all that? Who makes a sequel to an MMO that came out only 2 years, 11 months, 3 weeks, 6 days ago? That's faster than a lot of single player sequels. I have a suspicion that Bungie didn't like how Destiny turned out and wanted to fix things in a hard reset kind of way while still rolling out the planned content, so they rolled out the planned content as planned. But Destiny 2 came out 16 days short of a year after Rise of Iron was released. Just how desperate was Bungie to slam that muthafuckin like button reset switch?

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Great, a critic widely known for being stingy with his praise has just declared the plague on internet connections and game budgets known as megatextures to be the one positive feature of this year's most hyped game. Well, when weekly 50GB patches for 60GB games becomes the norm across the industry, we'll know who to blame I guess.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Saelune said:
Dalisclock said:
My ears got an erection from the thought of that.
I would spend time on that, honestly. I somehow watched the entire Plague plays Dark Souls(which is something like 50 hours long) because it was that interesting to hear him overanalyze the shit out everything to the point of insanity.

It was a lot more fun then the 10 hours of cut together cutscene of Final Fantasy XIII I watched. I paid nothing for that and I still felt ripped off somehow.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
KingsGambit said:
So should I buy this or not? What's the down low?
If you want a real answer and not one from a bunch of meme-ing Yahtzee wannabes, like those above you, here's a real answer:
It's got the tight gunplay of Halo combined with loot and shoot aspects of Borderlands, abilities and superpowers kinda similar to Overwatch, and some decent mechanical experiences in the form of raids and nightfall strikes and the like.
Though a large part of the game's appeal is how much the fun is amplified when you're playing with friends.
If you've got friends who will play it with you, it's easily one of the most fun games ever.
If you're gonna be playing solo, though, it may not strike a chord with you unless both Halo and Borderlands are enjoyable to you.