Zero Punctuation: Deus Ex Mankind Divided

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Couldn't agree more on the shortcomings of the racism analogy... now let's wait for somebody to come along and decide that this kind of nuance in criticism is either racist or SJW political-correctness. I wonder which will happen first.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Oh, leave it yahtzee not to cream his pants at this redo with almost 0 improvements and much shorter runing time on top of a ton of anti-consumer bullcrap. I will never understand how this game can get the high scores it gets ... it's an expansion pack at best, not an actual sequel. And a crapily designed one in places at that ...

woodlandkammo

Dec 11, 2013
It's funny, pacemakers were the exact thing I thought of. Seriously, in this world, exactly how easy is it to be classified as an "Aug"? What about people with cochlear implants? Or just regular prosthetics?

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Yeah the racism analogy is pretty funny. You would guess that people would have more of a self-preservation instincts to not treat the augs like shit. I mean we are talking about people here that, if adam is any indication, have the arsenal of a medium-sized military base in their forearms.
Either they would most likely not discriminate against the deadly superhumans or they would have just killed them all of to make sure the killswitch never ever goes of again. Exspecially considering that it really were ALL augmented going on a rampage and not just some few.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I saw a Lets Play and couldn't believe they actually cut to a cutscene for EVERY SINGLE MELEE FINISHER. I mean OM Goodness, that breaks game flow more than a power outage and the angry molesting tree from that Cabin movie. And the rest of the game seems determined to let the player play the least amount of time.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Silentpony said:
I saw a Lets Play and couldn't believe they actually cut to a cutscene for EVERY SINGLE MELEE FINISHER. I mean OM Goodness, that breaks game flow more than a power outage and the angry molesting tree from that Cabin movie. And the rest of the game seems determined to let the player play the least amount of time.
I'd you'd played Human Revolution, that would not have been a surprise at all, as that game did the same thing, didn't bother me much since I rarely ever used takedowns anyways.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
XDSkyFreak said:
Oh, leave it yahtzee not to cream his pants at this redo with almost 0 improvements and much shorter runing time on top of a ton of anti-consumer bullcrap. I will never understand how this game can get the high scores it gets ... it's an expansion pack at best, not an actual sequel. And a crapily designed one in places at that ...
It's a damn good game aside from the bullshit Square Enix pulled with it's microtransactions and that shitty tacked on Breach mode that absolutely nobody was asking for.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
First of all, I've never played this game, so take what I say with a grain of salt. BUT, the racism against augs seems pretty fucking on-par with reality. Since when has racism EVER made logical sense? Furthermore,

Carmine Falcone (Batman Begins) said:
This is a world you'll never understand. And you always fear what you don't understand.
Also, just because you're not racist doesn't mean a lot of people in this world aren't.

Finally, Yahtzee wanting this game to tackle the same themes the first Deus Ex had smells like bullshit. I'm sure if they did that, he'd say instead, "Oh, they're just retreading the same ground, the unoriginal twats."

Ausdoerrt

Jul 2, 2013
Arnoxthe1 said:
Finally, Yahtzee wanting this game to tackle the same themes the first Deus Ex had smells like bullshit. I'm sure if they did that, he'd say instead, "Oh, they're just retreading the same ground, the unoriginal twats."
I'm pretty sure that's not what he said at all. More like, it'd be nice if DXMD had the same level of complexity and forethought in its writing.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I think this is the first time any critic has mentioned how annoying the cutscenes for EVERYTHING are. I play games stealthily because I like feeling sleek and smooth, like a ballet performance except instead of pirouettes I'm snapping necks. The last thing I want is 3 seconds of having no control of your player as well as a complete change in perspective. It's of the many annoyances I had with Human Revolution that made me stop playing the game 3 times in a row.

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
Racism? I thought the analogy was about gun control. I could understand the difficulty in removing the nano-augs of the old school Deus Ex world, but most of the cybernetic tech of this Deus Ex world seems pretty blatantly detachable. In which case, doesn't it become more an issue of, "I don't care if my Ginsu knife arm can go crazy and kill people on a whim. I've decided that it is part of my identity and so everyone else should just accept the risk of personal harm to themselves."?

I was not aware that people who feel entitled to be able to lift and throw vending machines with their bare hands, was a race.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Well, at least it gets points for showing how confusing racism is in real life, I'm serious, go ask three different, unrelated people what constitues as racism and you will not stop scratching your head by how inconsistent it is. Also I find quite ironic a game that calls out capitalism and corporations is being called out by Jim Sterling for being a product of capitalism and corporative management considering how much the game was meddled with. Not going on many last-year best of lists, that's for sure.

Speaking of which:
Yeah the hype isn't getting any increases in the following months, so I'll save Yahtzee's trouble of making his 2016 best ofs, worst ofs and blandest ones so far released. These ones are my predictions following every respective review and articles Yahtzee may have written:

Top 5:
5. Xenoblade Chronicles X [might be replaced by an indie later]; 4. Salt and Sanctuary; 3. Dark Souls 3; 2. Inside; 1. DOOM

Bottom 5:
5. Starfox Zero; 4. Homefront: The Revolution; 3. No Man's Sky; 2. Devil's Third; 1. Mighty No. 9

Blandest 5:
5. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam; 4. Song of the Deep; 3. Battleborn; 2. The Witness; 1. Ubisoft [The Division/Far Cry Primal]

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Funny thing, the side missions were much better (The Harvester, Neon and Samizdat comes to mind) than the lackluster main missions, plus the sidequest NPCs were better than AngryMcMarineface and GeekyStereotype #1 and #2.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
darkrage6 said:
Silentpony said:
I'd you'd played Human Revolution, that would not have been a surprise at all, as that game did the same thing, didn't bother me much since I rarely ever used takedowns anyways.
I actually didn't play that. And it sounds terrible there too.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Silentpony said:
darkrage6 said:
Silentpony said:
I actually didn't play that. And it sounds terrible there too.
Eh, Yahtzee was exaggerating, it's pretty silly to avoid playing a game just because of that, most of the time I just shot enemies to take them down, I almost never used take-downs as it was usually more risky.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Imre Csete said:
Funny thing, the side missions were much better (The Harvester, Neon and Samizdat comes to mind) than the lackluster main missions, plus the sidequest NPCs were better than AngryMcMarineface and GeekyStereotype #1 and #2.
I thought all the characters were pretty interesting.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Igor-Rowan said:
Well, at least it gets points for showing how confusing racism is in real life, I'm serious, go ask three different, unrelated people what constitues as racism and you will not stop scratching your head by how inconsistent it is. Also I find quite ironic a game that calls out capitalism and corporations is being called out by Jim Sterling for being a product of capitalism and corporative management considering how much the game was meddled with. Not going on many last-year best of lists, that's for sure.

Speaking of which:
Yeah the hype isn't getting any increases in the following months, so I'll save Yahtzee's trouble of making his 2016 best ofs, worst ofs and blandest ones so far released. These ones are my predictions following every respective review and articles Yahtzee may have written:

Top 5:
5. Xenoblade Chronicles X [might be replaced by an indie later]; 4. Salt and Sanctuary; 3. Dark Souls 3; 2. Inside; 1. DOOM

Bottom 5:
5. Starfox Zero; 4. Homefront: The Revolution; 3. No Man's Sky; 2. Devil's Third; 1. Mighty No. 9

Blandest 5:
5. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam; 4. Song of the Deep; 3. Battleborn; 2. The Witness; 1. Ubisoft [The Division/Far Cry Primal]
Considering Devil's Third came out last year, I don't know if it's elegible for the list.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Bob_McMillan said:
I think this is the first time any critic has mentioned how annoying the cutscenes for EVERYTHING are. I play games stealthily because I like feeling sleek and smooth, like a ballet performance except instead of pirouettes I'm snapping necks. The last thing I want is 3 seconds of having no control of your player as well as a complete change in perspective. It's of the many annoyances I had with Human Revolution that made me stop playing the game 3 times in a row.
That sounds like a silly reason to avoid playing.