Zero Punctuation: Dishonored 2

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Silentpony said:
Huh. No epic gender-based wildfire to put out. Guess everyone is still mentally exhausted from the election.
This whole site has been a ghost town for ages now, and it seems to have been a largely constant decline. I haven't crunched the numbers, but look at the comment counts on some of his older videos; they're in the hundreds. These days we're lucky if we can crack two pages.

erttheking said:
To be honest, outside of some really weird people, no one really had a problem with Emily and Yahtzee taking pokes at that just kind of feel like he's really reaching to get a reaction.
It's not the people who "had a problem with Emily" that he's baiting here, though.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Steve the Pocket said:
Silentpony said:
Huh. No epic gender-based wildfire to put out. Guess everyone is still mentally exhausted from the election.
This whole site has been a ghost town for ages now, and it seems to have been a largely constant decline. I haven't crunched the numbers, but look at the comment counts on some of his older videos; they're in the hundreds. These days we're lucky if we can crack two pages.

erttheking said:
To be honest, outside of some really weird people, no one really had a problem with Emily and Yahtzee taking pokes at that just kind of feel like he's really reaching to get a reaction.
It's not the people who "had a problem with Emily" that he's baiting here, though.
The point I'm trying to get across is that there were never really any arguments around Emily, so trying to stir things up in that regard is like trying to get water out of solid rock.

The Dead Singer

Feb 19, 2014
erttheking said:
The point I'm trying to get across is that there were never really any arguments around Emily, so trying to stir things up in that regard is like trying to get water out of solid rock.
Emily isn't the point of his argument at all.

Steve the Pocket said:
You've only just realized? It's been that way for literally years now, although recently it has gotten a lot worse. I'm pretty sure it's the fact that ZP is now on youtube that really did it in - When that happened the comment count on his videos decreased dramatically almost immediately, even though he's still very popular (his videos regularly break the million views mark on youtube). Everyone has always said that ZP carries The Escapist basically single-handedly, and this is pretty much proof of that. Once people didn't need to come here to see Zp videos and most of all didn't need to log in to share their views on a site they don't even use otherwise, people just had no reason to come around anymore.

If Zp/Yahtzee ever goes indie... Phew

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The Dead Singer said:
erttheking said:
Steve the Pocket said:
Silentpony said:

erttheking said:
I know, but it's the point of my argument. That this was a nontroversy.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Look, 90% of game protagonists are ruggedly handsome white males, something Yahtzee has complained about in the past. If you can choose the exact quirky outfit of your character, but there's no story reason for them to be explicitly male, it's fucking ridiculous that you can't also play as a female if you so choose. There's a reason no one complained about Franklin in GTA V.

Silent Protagonist

Aug 29, 2012
erttheking said:
The Dead Singer said:
erttheking said:
Steve the Pocket said:
Silentpony said:

erttheking said:
I know, but it's the point of my argument. That this was a nontroversy.
Isn't that exactly what he said though? I think the whole bit was started with something to the effect of "Whatever happened to all the controversy about female VG characters?". He pointed out that there was no controversy and then aired out some of his annoyances over what used to be a controversy and it only makes sense because this game likely would have have been fuel on that fire if that fire was still burning, was in development while the fire was burning, only to come out after the fire had been reduced to embers.

Yahtzee has a really big thing for story, so if he felt the story was harmed by its needing to work for either of two distinct characters in the singular lead role in order to meet a gender choice requirement, it makes sense to bring up the conditions that may have led to the gender choice being included even if those conditions are no longer present.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
It's a real shame the voice director didn't figure out how to make the characters/actors actually emote, seems like it'd be a relatively simple thing to do. At least it seems like the sneaking has been polished a bit, and failures penalized a bit more harshly (I recall dealing with a group of guards being somewhat trivial in D1 unless you were being strict with a nonlethal run).

K.ur said:
Milenkov said:
Except like most spunkgargleweewee games, that element is only used at fixed points for set pieces, and not (as in here) as a functioning on/off switch for a period of time.
Never played, it looked to much of a spunkgargleweewee. *shoulder shrug*
It's sorta like if Mirror's edge strapped on a jump jet and nicked COD's guns. And then got in a big stompy robot.

So about 30% SpunkGargleWeeWee, 30% wallrunning/jumping/sliding/climbing, 30% Gundam, and 10% swinging around on grappling hooks/turning invisible/doing the Tracer undo thing.

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
"Look at ME, I don't mind playing a female character while the industry caters to my demo the remaining 90% of the time"

That's very progressive of you, hon.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Milenkov said:
K.ur said:
There is a game with that time travel mechanic: Singularity by Raven Software from 2010.

You even reviewed it http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1883-Singularity
Except like most spunkgargleweewee games, that element is only used at fixed points for set pieces, and not (as in here) as a functioning on/off switch for a period of time.
Singularity has nothing in common with modern military shooters.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
bificommander said:
Gluff said:
I think an example of NPCs' dialouge being important is in Arkham City.

Every enemy has voice acting that sounds like they're depressed criminals in a deserted wasteland of a city. They also yell taunts at Batman while fighting and they exchange small lines of dialogue when they don't see Batman. Hell they even have conversations about the situation they are currently in. Sometimes they talk about how they feel about their leader or sometimes they just want to make fun of each other.

These lines of dialogue made the world of Arkham City seem so real and authentic. It made the world feel like an actual Batman setting and it worked so well.
Funny. The NPC dialogue is a mayor reason I never replayed Arkham City. I'm not a comic book reader, so I can't vouch to the faithfulness of replicating the Batman setting. But I don't think the intended effect of the dialogue was to make me wish for Batman to hand Dr Strange the fucking matches and help him burn the whole place to the ground. Halfway through that game my response to the start of another overheard conversation was "Oh goody, are these assholes going to tell me how much they enjoy murder, rape* and torture, or about how much worse their bosses are. Yeah, I figured that out already. How about some dialogue that gives me a reason why I wouldn't want to see them all killed? Cause at this point, what alternatives are there? Between this game and the last one, I think we've pretty much established that putting them in a jail or mental hospital doesn't even stop them from committing mass murder while they're still inside the building, let alone once they get out during Gotham's bi-weekly jailbreak."

*I literally cannot think of a single instance of mook dialogue to or about any female character that didn't include speculating or suggesting having sex with them, with consent being very much not a concern.
dialogue seems like a silly complaint if the gameplay is fun.