Zero Punctuation: DMC: Devil May Cry

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
anthony87 said:
Sylveria said:
The characters have the personality of a pre-teen who loves ICP, and it needlessly craps on a series that was much better before it got rebooted. Worth playing if you have zero attachment to the DMC series as a series and just want to hit things with a big sword while the characters randomly string together vulgarity cause that's what a 12yr old thinks is cool.
Were we watching the same video? Because I don't recall him saying any of that...
Ironically that's also exactly what the original Devil May Cry games were like.

The sheer hypocrisy of that statement is agonizing.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Acton Hank said:
anthony87 said:
Sylveria said:
The characters have the personality of a pre-teen who loves ICP, and it needlessly craps on a series that was much better before it got rebooted. Worth playing if you have zero attachment to the DMC series as a series and just want to hit things with a big sword while the characters randomly string together vulgarity cause that's what a 12yr old thinks is cool.
Were we watching the same video? Because I don't recall him saying any of that...

Well it's not like there aren't some valid criticisms to be labelled against the game, particularly the ones regarding the lack of a lock on button and the easy as hell SSS ranks, seriously, having two separate buttons to evade and none for lock on is just stupid. Unfortunately the valid criticisms are being overshadowed by the stupid ones (Read: Anyone mentioning Dante's hair or the word emo) and as a result the people who dislike the game for valid reasons are getting lot of undeserved flak.

Kinda reminds me of Moviebob and his attitude towards Amazing Spider-Man really. He wanted to hate it as soon as it was first announced, even making a stupid hair comment at one point, same as the Devil May Cry fans who hated this game as soon as it was announced. Hell I WAS one of those people but I came around eventually.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010

Notice how easy it is?
Now, why are people saying DmC exists to be more accessible gameplay wise?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
GrimHeaper said:
This is the original devilmaycry 3.
Notice how easy it is? This is the game where normal was hard mode.
Any way to prove that that's the original and not the special edition? Besides, it's being played on easy mode anyway.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
anthony87 said:
Acton Hank said:
anthony87 said:
Sylveria said:

Well it's not like there aren't some valid criticisms to be labelled against the game, particularly the ones regarding the lack of a lock on button and the easy as hell SSS ranks, seriously, having two separate buttons to evade and none for lock on is just stupid. Unfortunately the valid criticisms are being overshadowed by the stupid ones (Read: Anyone mentioning Dante's hair or the word emo) and as a result the people who dislike the game for valid reasons are getting lot of undeserved flak.

Kinda reminds me of Moviebob and his attitude towards Amazing Spider-Man really. He wanted to hate it as soon as it was first announced, even making a stupid hair comment at one point, same as the Devil May Cry fans who hated this game as soon as it was announced. Hell I WAS one of those people but I came around eventually.
Never said there weren't criticisms, what game doesn't have them after all?

I was simply pointing out the general stupidity and hypocrisy of Sylveria's statement which consists of deriding the childish attitude of "hit things with a big sword while the characters randomly string together vulgarity cause that's what a 12yr old thinks is cool"; an attitude which was very much present in the originals and I dare say was one of it's strong points.

I recommend Angry Joe for a review of the game that doesn't let trivial things get in the way of actual criticism.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
anthony87 said:
GrimHeaper said:
Any way to prove that that's the original and not the special edition? Besides, it's being played on easy mode anyway.
Does it matter if it's being played on easy mode?
I don't really think it does.
I mean it HAS to be accessible.
DmC has one of those you get a gold star for next to no effort things going on.
That isn't accessibility, that's pandering.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItsEasySoItSucks
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MercyMode
I think its the SE actually, the SE is the original as far as difficulty goes.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
IamLEAM1983 said:
But hating different things opens up a symphony of diversity! A rainbow of vitriol! a candy shop's worth of garden-variety insults and hasty comparisons! *'The Circle of Life' fades in, in acoustic form*
But a critic's job isn't to offer diverse points of view! It's to tell me my shit doesn't stink!

Honestly, I like the new Dante. He's fundamentally operating in the same mechanics and doing the exact same things as before; only he doesn't murder my hands anymore. That's honestly all I need.
Other than idle joking, I have no problem with Hobo Dante's design. I dislike the way they've written him for the South Park crowd, where screaming "fuck you" is a substitute for wit, but it still sounds like he's better written than prior DMC games.

Do I like it? Welllllll....I haven't played it yet. But media on the game, such as actual playthroughs and the like, have done more to arouse my interest than kill it. That's a plus.

The biggest problem seems to be that critics aren't prepared to hate it as much as fanboys are. I find it horrendously sad in this day and age where people accuse a game with aggregates in the mid-eighties of "paid scores." 10-15 years ago would be a different story, but these days that's pretty much an "average AAA" game.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
xdiesp said:
It's astounding how stupid gamers can be. Look at people mocking those who disliked the new Dante as if they were all rambling fanatics: of course people now like the new Dante, it was engineered by commitee to cater to the new fanbase. And that's retarded, because you are being played like a violin to be fed what you are expected to like. And on top of this, the raging xenophobia: japanese Dante is old, the future is murrican emo goth.
You do get a lot of xenophobia coming from the Escapist forums; it's almost like reminding people that Japan EXISTS will cause them to break out into hives

GrimHeaper said:
Thing is I never thought DMC was very hard to play. The mechanics were actually very straightforward and even the most complex maneuvers in terms of the basics required a few buttons presses. Now there WERE the Just Frame actions and Jump Canceling, but those were high level techniques. Point is the games were easy to play but hard to MASTER.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Acton Hank said:
I recommend Angry Joe for a review of the game that doesn't let trivial things get in the way of actual criticism.
Except his blatant fanboyism. Though I suppose one could argue that's not exactly "trivial."

His review for DmC was hillarious, though. Not intentionally. Unless his intent was to play a butthurt fanboy who was still willing to trip over himself to fellate Capcom even as he condemned it.

anthony87 said:
And just like Moviebob, people are going to continue to try and justify it months after the fact. Possibly years.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
CaptOfSerenity said:
crimson sickle2 said:
The amount of Ninja Theory's ego in this game is enough reason for me to burn as many copies as I can. I'm kind of surprised Yahtzee gave it a thumbs up, guess he saw something I didn't. I thought for sure he would rag on enemy design or fixed grapple points.
Well, he's not a fanboy, so he can give a game a chance and play it, instead of advocate censorship.

Also, to everybody who liked the previous games: didn't Dante cuss like a sailor and act like a douchebag, too? This seems very faithful to that.
That censorship garbage is ridiculous, regardless of fanship. The group took down the poll, so just let it die down before every game website has published content about it.

Dante was always a douchebag, but he did it in such a way that it was hard to get angry at him. He almost stylized being a douchebag and acted that way for the lolz, or to hide his insecurity and generally sad, crappy life depending on how you look at it. New Dante acts like he's just trying to dust off any concerns by putting up a wall of "fuck you." He still has a pretty crappy life, but he tries avoiding it. Newbie might change later in the story, but the initial trash I've seen doesn't give me much reason to watch every cutscene. Old Dante didn't swear as much either, and if he did it was a part of a much larger joking insult (to my memory).

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Aiddon said:
xdiesp said:
It's astounding how stupid gamers can be. Look at people mocking those who disliked the new Dante as if they were all rambling fanatics: of course people now like the new Dante, it was engineered by commitee to cater to the new fanbase. And that's retarded, because you are being played like a violin to be fed what you are expected to like. And on top of this, the raging xenophobia: japanese Dante is old, the future is murrican emo goth.
You do get a lot of xenophobia coming from the Escapist forums; it's almost like reminding people that Japan EXISTS will cause them to break out into hives

GrimHeaper said:
Thing is I never thought DMC was very hard to play. The mechanics were actually very straightforward and even the most complex maneuvers in terms of the basics required a few buttons presses. Now there WERE the Just Frame actions and Jump Canceling, but those were high level techniques. Point is the games were easy to play but hard to MASTER.
I don't see anything to master in DmC once you get the surface play. All they did was strip it of what made it better.
It's actually less appealing and more limiting because of it.

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
GrimHeaper said:
anthony87 said:
GrimHeaper said:

Considering you have to have died 3 times on normal difficulty to even unlock easy I think it does matter. And even on easy that shit's not going to get you past the second boss.

Especially considering the "boss" of level two is a miniboss that you a couple of times have to fight two at a time of later on rather than something that's meant to really tax the player on it's own.

Not to say it's massively punishing on that difficulty overall but you do have to learn how to do a lot more than push 2 different buttons and you still have to learn a good deal of the moves and the bosses patterns to not get torn a new one.

On topic I don't mind the new Dante's personality from what I've seen but the overall vibe of the game rubs me the wrong way. And also he looks like one of those meth addict teenagers I have to watch extra close to make sure they're not shoplifting.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Cette said:
GrimHeaper said:
anthony87 said:
GrimHeaper said:

Considering you have to have died 3 times on normal difficulty to even unlock easy I think it does matter. And even on easy that shit's not going to get you past the second boss.

Especially considering the "boss" of level two is a miniboss that you a couple of times have to fight two at a time of later on rather than something that's meant to really tax the player on it's own.

Not to say it's massively punishing on that difficulty overall but you do have to learn how to do a lot more than push 2 different buttons and you still have to learn a good deal of the moves and the bosses patterns to not get torn a new one.

On topic I don't mind the new Dante's personality from what I've seen but the overall vibe of the game rubs me the wrong way. And also he looks like one of those meth addict teenagers I have to watch extra close to make sure they're not shoplifting.
You shouldn't be playing that type of game if you suck that badly you can't beat it on easy anyway.
It's a fast paced hack and slash action game it should not very considerate on that area.
Because people are supposed to better themselves.
Not when the enemies you are trying to KILL let you smash their face in and tell you they are going to attack you nicely afterwords. There are real time jrpg's that are better hack and slashes than DmC because of that.

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
GrimHeaper said:
Cette said:
GrimHeaper said:
anthony87 said:
GrimHeaper said:

You shouldn't be playing that type of game if you suck that badly you can't beat it on easy anyway.
It's a fast paced hack and slash action game it should not very considerate on that area.
Because people are supposed to better themselves.
Not when the enemies you are trying to KILL let you smash their face in and tell you they are going to attack you nicely afterwords. There are real time jrpg's that are better hack and slashes than DmC because of that.

So you're saying a games first two levels on it's easiest difficulty should be too difficult for people who are new to the genre to beat? Everyone's got to start somewhere and frankly you're not even going to see that difficulty until you proved you can't hack it in the standard one.

It builds the difficulty over the course while feeding weapons and skills a few at a time so you can get used to them and incorporate into your personal skill set. Then after you've got a handle on it you jack up the difficulty and can indulge in all the masochism you ever wanted.

Not really seeing what point you're trying to get at other than just being argumentative for the raw sake of it.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Remakes of a game Yahtzee loves gives him the motivation for a good grinding review. *starts taking notes*

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
GrimHeaper said:
I don't see anything to master in DmC once you get the surface play. All they did was strip it of what made it better.
It's actually less appealing and more limiting because of it.
Yeah, they didn't make it ACCESSIBLE so much as they just dumbed it down. There's explaining your mechanics properly (like with 4) and then there's just patronizing your audience. What NT did was make a game that doesn't reward creativity and just gets boring after awhile. It shows that they had no experience with good action games

Headbiter

Nov 9, 2009
TheCommanders said:
Headbiter said:
Silent Hill: In Terror.

There, abbreviate that, publishers.
(Those sensitive to profanity may wish to avoid this)

More relevantly, how about "Devils, Angels, and Men take Note: Cease Unconvincing Nephilim Tripe". :p

Not as concise, but equally unprintable, I think.
And thus, the contest begins...

Deus Ex: Revolution Pandora

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
I only liked the old Dante for his body. If the new Dante is hot, I'll probably play the game. Though the political angle sounds interesting, if a bit hamfisted and juvenile. Though compared to most of the gaming industry, it must sound like academic discourse.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
To my experience... DMC1 has not aged well at all, 2 was horrendous, 3 was very good but infuriating, 4 was ok until all the backtracking started at which point it made me want to kill myself, and the reboot is a highly enjoyable popcorn game without a whole lot of depth or replayability to it, but it's fun while it lasts and it isn't stuffed up with shameless filler like 4. Overall, this is imho the second best DMC game ever. I don't care much about the new Dante, at least he doesn't bother me so much that I need to fumble for the mute button like in several instances of the previous games, plus he occasionally speaks and behaves like an actual person instead of a zero-dimensional cardboard character from some really shitty anime.